CandleGlow (Roguelike RPG!)

For playing roles.
BakedToast

CandleGlow (Roguelike RPG!)

Post by BakedToast » Sun Dec 23, 2018 10:37 pm

CandleGlow. Once the proudest and greatest of many of the cities of civilization, it now stands as a solitary bastion, the last light in a dark world, and a beacon of hope for all who live therein. A very large city atop a small mountain, CandleGlow overlooks the dark world about it, covered by the perpetually black sky. Those who live in CandleGlow make use of the city's dying reserves of supplies from a bygone age to get by. There are many different races of beings in CandleGlow, most of which keep to their own kind in different districts of the city, interacting only minimally with members of other races. This is, of course, a norm but not an absolute; the city guard, merchants, and messengers, and others of their ilk, are composed of members of many of the races, and are viewed more or less amiably by all.
On regular occasions, CandleGlow will select recruits from it's populace to form a band of explorers, who head out into the darkness that engulfs the city, in the hopes of finding some things of value, which they can bring back to the city upon their return, and be lauded as heroes...
This game is planned to be a roguelike RPG, set in a universe of mystique and the unknown, in a world where the characters therein will grow and learn, but could also become injured, disfigured, and even die. You begin as a random recruit brought forth to join the next exploration expedition, in the hopes of finding something of worth for the city upon your return.
This game will focus on the story of the characters, all of which have the propensity to die from many different causes, and their rise to greatness, if they manage to scrabble their way above whatever existence they find themselves in at the genesis of their adventure. As for the roguelike setting, I chose to use specifically because it will allow more exploration of such a world very quickly and will emphasize the progress and/or setbacks to be more meaningful.

Gameplay itself will take the form of turns, in which a situation will be presented and laid out, clarified if need be, and the players will need to discuss strategies or other actions that they think they should do as a group; or, alternately, players could simply decide to suddenly just up and do something on their own.

The System:
One Survives for Every Nine that Die.

The above is the slogan of 9413: Warfare and Roleplaying, a tabletop RPG designed by a good friend of mine who is nothing short of a legend. [I have tried on multiple occassions to get a committed group together IRL for this, to no avail.]
What I am thinking of doing instead is running a forum version of this sort of game, adapting it to the forum setting that we find ourselves in (downplaying technical combat and damage rules, and instead focusing on the stories, the roleplaying, and the progression of the characters.)

A few notes of importance;
Firstly, an RPG requires an aspect of roleplaying. Results of your actions will be almost purely determined by how you describe an action. For example:
1. "I hit the wolf" has millions of ways it can go differently from how you may have intended in your mind, and thus has a higher chance of failing.
2. "Taking firm hold of my sword, I vault over the nearby fence to catch the wolf by surprise, attempting to plunge my sword into it's spine." is much more specific, as it not only adds more flavor to the gameplay but also ensures that I, as the Judge, understand what you were trying to do. You have less a chance of failing, especially becasue you now mention what weapon you were using and how you were strategizing your attack.

I will guide the players through character creation and their initial backstory creation, but be warned: much in character creation is beyond your choice, and you are stuck with your lot in life, it being up to you to improve it if you so desire. As such, you do not inherently "choose" the broad general information pieces such as your race, your aptitudes, large parts of your backstory; but rather you tailor them to you.
For example:
If you end up as a human, so be it; but you may choose your hair color, distinguishing features, etc.
If your backstory decrees that your parents were destroyed in an attack on your city district, so be it; but you may state who the attackers were, and why they attacked, etc.
If your starting situation has you with nothing but the clothes on your back and one silver coin, so be it; but you may choose what to spend that silver coin on (silver coins in this setting are actually quite valuable).

I cannot promise a regular turn structure. I hope to aim for one turn a week, perhaps slightly less consistent the next two weeks due to busy IRL conditions. However, the universe that my legendary friend has built is one I am excited to explore (And although I will act as Judge, this game's equivalent of a DM/GM, I will be using the many randomized tables of this rpg to generate the world and story as well), and thus one thing I can promise, hopefully with more certainty than in my other games, is that this game will hopefully go on for quite a while without any form of "forum death", even if turns are not consistent.

At this point, I am gauging the level of interest to join such a game, and if anyone has questions or comments. Please let me know what you think of this, and if you're interested in joining! If you are interested in joining, let me know and I will generate a character for you.
And there I stood, aghast, as the goat charged up the back steps and into the open door of the house. I could hear the crashing of plates and the overturning of furniture from the dining room as the goat continued it's vandalism.

naturegirl1999

Re: CandleGlow (Roguelike RPG!)

Post by naturegirl1999 » Mon Dec 24, 2018 12:46 am

Can I join? This sounds interesting.
I'm gonna put the last thing I copied here. Will change each time I visit for variety
Korobeiniki

Guineapig004

Post by Guineapig004 » Mon Dec 24, 2018 2:20 am

I'm interested in joining. Sounds just like a grittier DnD.
"And fear struck the hearts of the dodos, as they realized they were being watched..."

BakedToast

Post by BakedToast » Mon Dec 24, 2018 4:23 pm

Awesome. I'll give other potential players some more time, and then I'l more or less get to it.

Naturally, this was originally designed to be a pen+paper RPG, so it will be carried out a bit differently as a forum game, but like I said earlier, this is more about the role-play and the characters than about the technicalities.
And there I stood, aghast, as the goat charged up the back steps and into the open door of the house. I could hear the crashing of plates and the overturning of furniture from the dining room as the goat continued it's vandalism.

Burger Cat

Post by Burger Cat » Mon Dec 24, 2018 5:46 pm

I'm interested in joining, might not be the most active player here but I do like to see how the story will unfold with the characters.

BakedToast

Post by BakedToast » Tue Dec 25, 2018 3:05 am

Given the busy season my work is in, I’m not sure when I’ll find time to begin this campaign. But, it’s good to see there’s some interest.

20 characters!

Post by 20 characters! » Wed Dec 26, 2018 12:41 pm

This is similar to my idea except not explicitly underground or in an established setting, you have done better justice to it than I could, so I wish you luck and wonder If I could join/
youtubeuserSara3346
20 characters! wrote:*explodes into a gore shower
combi2 wrote: ... thought that all cows could produce unlimited antibodies,boy am i a retard.
combi2 wrote:you can`t thats not how humans work
Grockstar wrote:Bats it is then. They are the poor man's snake.
ImageImageImage

BakedToast

Post by BakedToast » Fri Dec 28, 2018 2:14 am

20 characters! wrote:
Wed Dec 26, 2018 12:41 pm
This is similar to my idea except not explicitly underground or in an established setting, you have done better justice to it than I could, so I wish you luck and wonder If I could join/
You can join.

No, this is nothing like King of the Spiders.

Like I said earlier, though, I’m not sure when I’ll be able begin the game.

naturegirl1999

Post by naturegirl1999 » Fri Dec 28, 2018 2:51 am

Still waiting to play. is there anything we can do to assist the game start?
I'm gonna put the last thing I copied here. Will change each time I visit for variety
Korobeiniki

BakedToast

Post by BakedToast » Fri Dec 28, 2018 4:16 am

naturegirl1999 wrote:
Fri Dec 28, 2018 2:51 am
Still waiting to play. is there anything we can do to assist the game start?
Sure. I suppose, you may start by creating a name (nothing more) for your character, and roll a d100, and let me know the results of your roll.
(That will allow me to determine your character's race, and give you more stats to roll for on your character.)