Temperature by height bug

Let us know about the harmful mutations afflicting the game. Also contains a list of known bugs and workarounds.
AgeW

Temperature by height bug

Post by AgeW » Thu Nov 01, 2018 8:02 pm

Haven't seen this pointed out anywhere else.
When you set temperature to be determined by height (so that lower elevation = higher temperature and vice versa), the map will start out looking as it should, but lower areas will then become colder over time.
I think this was already the case when I first bought the game last month.
Last edited by AgeW on Sun Nov 04, 2018 7:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.

magmacube_tr
Location: Now on the depths of the once-volcanic Hasan Mountain

Re: Temperature by height bug

Post by magmacube_tr » Thu Nov 01, 2018 8:25 pm

Its actually not a bug. If the tempeture has set to lower
it just rearranges itself on the current value. Set the tempeture high, or pause immidiately on starting and set the tempeture high if the value is low.
Your everyday cube of molten rock.

AgeW

Re: Temperature by height bug

Post by AgeW » Thu Nov 01, 2018 8:55 pm

magmacube_tr wrote:
Thu Nov 01, 2018 8:25 pm
Its actually not a bug. If the tempeture has set to lower
it just rearranges itself on the current value. Set the tempeture high, or pause immidiately on starting and set the tempeture high if the value is low.
I don't know if I fully understand what you mean. I believe I had the temperature set to 35C in the video.
The same thing happens regardless of what I set the temperature to; the entire map (excepting water) ends up at roughly the same temperature regardless.
Tried setting it at 70C with the variation at 0.5 and all land ends up at 48C.

Am I missing something here? Because it seems strange to me if this is intended.

smjjames

Re: Temperature by height bug (or not?)

Post by smjjames » Fri Nov 02, 2018 12:06 am

I'm seeing the same results here too. Set the world average temp to 70c (yeah, I know, inhospitable lavascape) and on height mode, and it'll quickly cool down to about 48c with the same over all of the land.

Same for default of 20c.

Quasar
Site Admin

Post by Quasar » Fri Nov 02, 2018 11:44 pm

AgeW wrote:
Thu Nov 01, 2018 8:02 pm

Haven't seen this pointed out anywhere else.
When you set temperature to be determined by height (so that lower elevation = higher temperature and vice versa), the map will start out looking as it should, but lower areas will then become colder over time.
I think this was already the case when I first bought the game last month.
Ah, found it!

Temperature by height is unique: it's the only map that needs to be inverted. By default, you get hotter the higher you go: I wanted it to be colder with altitude, for obvious reasons.

The inverted map, as it turns out, doesn't work properly in the Monogame shader. It ends up pure black, which translates to "coldest possible variation with this average".

For the next version I've simply turned the inversion off. If you want cold higher, you'll need to invert the temperature variation.

AgeW

Post by AgeW » Sun Nov 04, 2018 7:48 pm

Quasar wrote:
Fri Nov 02, 2018 11:44 pm
Ah, found it!

Temperature by height is unique: it's the only map that needs to be inverted. By default, you get hotter the higher you go: I wanted it to be colder with altitude, for obvious reasons.

The inverted map, as it turns out, doesn't work properly in the Monogame shader. It ends up pure black, which translates to "coldest possible variation with this average".

For the next version I've simply turned the inversion off. If you want cold higher, you'll need to invert the temperature variation.
I would have replied to this earlier, but couldn't.
Thank you for the reply and explanation (and upcoming fix I assume ;) ).