The Meek Shall Inherit Kobira

Speculative evolution and forum games
Ewery1

The Meek Shall Inherit Kobira

Post by Ewery1 » Sun Oct 11, 2015 7:35 pm

Hello everyone! It's time for another competition game, this forum is severely lacking in good old styled competition games. (The way you pronounce the name is kuh-oh-bee-rah)

You start with a small bacteria living next to hot springs in the fertile oceans of a *fairly* new planet, and you evolve through turns, trying to survive and be the dominant life-form on the planet. Keep in mind, this does not mean you have to be an animal, plants, fungi, protist, and the like are good too. The realism in this game will be similar to that in Tyroa's but if you have any questions, ask me (NOTHING NUCLEAR *yasahiro*)

There will be 3-5 teams with a maximum of 5 players each and a minimum of 2. If someone can't be here, please pm me, one of your teammates will vote for you, however, if you want to join, keep in mind you will have to post regularly. In addition to this I will be playing as two NPC teams subject to the same rules as you people.

Current teams: Team Non Standard (20 characters, averious), Team Potatoes 4 the Win v.3 (GabrielGG, geckoguy42, Alpha), Team I will not be Sentient (ClassyAmoeba, joshthehawk), Team Morpholotl (Grockstar124, Prudentia, Alexcat989, Yasahiro), Team Unnamed (Silly Otter, DehEvil)

Basically, each person can suggest one trait the current organism will evolve next turn; the suggestions are tallied, then a dice is rolled for each of them to see if you managed to mutate successfully:
0 - Result is the opposite, but somehow even worse than that
1 - Result is exactly opposed to the one intended
2 - Evolution goes in a somewhat opposite way to the one intended
3 - The trait is barely or badly evolved, producing no concrete result -but no penalty either
4 - Notable evolution toward suggested goal. It's not perfect, but it's more or less what you wanted
5 - Major evolution toward suggested goal; the desired result is neatly obtained
6 - Evolution goes beyond the suggested goal, making the creature somewhat specialized in this new trait
9 - SUPER EVOLUTION! (Speaks for itself)
Also, the more people agree, the easier it is: you gain +1 to your dice roll for each 20% of votes going to the same suggestion. However, six is still the cap.

There are three other ways to gain a trait, you can make a sort of alliance with another group, to give each other an adaptation, the specifics of which are negotiated. This is called an "Exchange Pact."
Another very useful way, is once your creature evolves some sort of gene exchange, then you get a "Sex Vote", which is randomly chosen from the unchosen suggestions made earlier.
The final way is by events. Sometimes there is say, radiation, or a nutrient influx, something along those lines that adds or takes away an adaptation.

Each organism gets a conservation status at the end of each round, the statuses are:
Extinct (EX) – No remaining individuals (Your team has to go back an evolution until you reach a non-extinct species)
Critically endangered (CR) – Extremely high risk of extinction in the near future, if you don't do something to fix it, any minor upset could push you over to EX
Endangered (EN) – High risk of extinction
Vulnerable (VU) – Bad risk of endangerment in the future, but fairly safe
Near threatened (NT) – You are likely to become endangered in the near future, and there is no major threat
Least concern (LC) – Lowest risk, you're pretty much fine here, unless there is some calamity

Every round I roll an event, I will not disclose the options though.
TURN 0
On the planet Kobira, an ocean extends out in every direction for ages, with barren desert land on the surface. This planet has finally reached a state of homeostasis, where there are no more internal struggles, and the climate is relatively stable. The atmosphere is mostly carbon and nitrogen. The planet essentially resembles early Earth fairly identically. A hotspot volcanic chain is somewhere in the middle of the ocean, having just left its last island, its staring to build up a volcano. However, live settles in for the very first time around this molten hotspot at the bottom of the ocean. It has formed as Kobiran Bacteria.

Kobiran Bacteria (Neovive bacterium)
Single celled primitive bacteria that feed off of random particles spurting out of the vents, using the natural heat to make their chemical reactions for them. They reproduce asexually, have a semi-nucleus that houses very short DNA, only coding for their phosopholipid bilayer, RNA, and more DNA.

Appearance:
Minuscule bacteria floating aimlessly through the water.
Environment:
Above a volcanic hotspot in the middle of the ocean.
Conservation Status:
EN
Starting Map:
Kobira Current.gif
Kobira Current.gif (47.08 KiB) Viewed 8089 times
(The red is the starting location)
Current Map:
Kobira Current.gif
Kobira Current.gif (42.71 KiB) Viewed 7686 times
The green is where the Solars are, and the orange is where everyone is.

Turn 1 - Lithotrophic Bacteria, Depth Bacteria, Depth Bacteria, Edge Bacteria, Swallowing Bacteria, and Microscopic Oozers - Hotspot Becomes a Hill
Turn 2 - Energized Lithotrophic Bacteria, Suspended Solars, Suspended Solars, Proto-Etheroids, Bumbling Ciliovores, and Colonial Oozers - Life Marches On
Turn 3 - Efficient Lithotrophic Bacteria, Swimming Solars, Surface Solars, Digesting Etheroids, Bumbling Ciliovores (Subspecies), and Advanced Oozers - Volcanic Plug
Turn 4 - Sleeper Bacteria, Extinct Solars, Winter Solars, Scavenging Etheroids, Critical Ciliovores, and Winter Oozers
- Your local Red Panda with way too much power
Yasahiro wrote:Then improve the amphibity.... It's a word now, I made it.
Join my new classic competition game!

They're all grown up!
Image Image Image

20 characters!

Re: Kobira Competition Game

Post by 20 characters! » Sun Oct 11, 2015 7:38 pm

I would rather see gas giant come back, the premise was more interesting......
youtubeuserSara3346
20 characters! wrote:*explodes into a gore shower
combi2 wrote: ... thought that all cows could produce unlimited antibodies,boy am i a retard.
combi2 wrote:you can`t thats not how humans work
Grockstar wrote:Bats it is then. They are the poor man's snake.
ImageImageImage

Ewery1

Post by Ewery1 » Sun Oct 11, 2015 7:39 pm

20 characters! wrote:I would rather see gas giant come back, the premise was more interesting......
I know gas giant was more interesting, but I reallllly want to do a run of the mill thing like Tyroa again, maybe gas giant in the future. If you have a better name for this though please let me know because I'm unhappy with this one.

They're all grown up!
Image Image Image

20 characters!

Post by 20 characters! » Sun Oct 11, 2015 7:41 pm

Ewery1 wrote:
20 characters! wrote:I would rather see gas giant come back, the premise was more interesting......
I know gas giant was more interesting, but I reallllly want to do a run of the mill thing like Tyroa again, maybe gas giant in the future. If you have a better name for this though please let me know because I'm unhappy with this one.
Perhaps, "The meek shall inherit the world,....maybe" ?
youtubeuserSara3346
combi2 wrote: ... thought that all cows could produce unlimited antibodies,boy am i a retard.
ImageImageImage

20 characters!

Post by 20 characters! » Sun Oct 11, 2015 7:43 pm

Give me team non standard.

My vote(I have only on at this point right?)

-sulfur lithotropy.
youtubeuserSara3346
ImageImageImage

Ewery1

Post by Ewery1 » Sun Oct 11, 2015 7:43 pm

20 characters! wrote:
Ewery1 wrote:
Perhaps, "The meek shall inherit the world,....maybe" ?
Nice

They're all grown up!
Image Image Image

20 characters!

Re: The Meek Shall Inherit Kobira

Post by 20 characters! » Sun Oct 11, 2015 7:47 pm

...also why no radiotrophy?

You could nerf it by making them grow more and more slowly the larger they get.(since radiotrophic fungi are a thing, up to a certain size)
youtubeuserSara3346
ImageImageImage

Ewery1

Post by Ewery1 » Sun Oct 11, 2015 7:49 pm

20 characters! wrote:...also why no radiotrophy?

You could nerf it by making them grow more and more slowly the larger they get.(since radiotrophic fungi are a thing, up to a certain size)
When I say no radiotrophy, I mean in the way that Yasa implemented it. That was totally unrealistic, but if you want to pursue a vaguely realistic radiotrophic creature I guess I won't complain.

They're all grown up!
Image Image Image

GabrielGG

Post by GabrielGG » Sun Oct 11, 2015 8:11 pm

Team : Potatoes 4 the Win v.3

Where we are there is plenty of natural light? Another question, I can "feed" myself with heat?
I like potatoes.

Ewery1

Post by Ewery1 » Sun Oct 11, 2015 8:14 pm

GabrielGG wrote:Team : Potatoes 4 the Win v.3

Where we are there is plenty of natural light? Another question, I can "feed" myself with heat?
There is a small small amount of natural light filtering down, but you're pretty deep in the ocean, and there is a lot of rock ash and soot around from the hotspot. You can get energy from the heat but not matter, you still need another way to utilize that. Also heat won't provide enough energy when you become a little larger.

They're all grown up!
Image Image Image