Suggestions

Suggest a beneficial feature, or idea's for the future.
alexanderthegrape

Suggestions

Post by alexanderthegrape » Tue May 29, 2012 9:04 am

Lovin' Species so far, just two features that'd be really helpful: to be able to skip forward time without leaving the game running, and to be able to click on one colour of the population graph to see which species it corresponds to. Thanks :)

Quasar
Site Admin

Re: Suggestions

Post by Quasar » Thu Jun 07, 2012 2:08 am

Oh sorry about that, I only just realised that the forums had some weird restriction on posts not appearing until they were moderated, and it wasn't informing me when things needed moderation.

Hmm... the first one, unfortunately, isn't possible: the game needs to progressively simulate all the intermediate steps in order to move ahead, and at 10x speed it's already doing that at fast as it can without messing with the simulation and starting to affect survival. If you're playing in windowed mode, you can minimise the game: that's about the best I can offer.

The second one is a bit more possible: I've been trying to work out the best way to do hitTests on the population graph for a while. I've got a few idea's: hopefully we'll see them in the next version.

Reprieve

Post by Reprieve » Fri Jun 08, 2012 10:12 am

Could the simulation be sped up by turning off the visual side of it for a bit? You just get a blank "simulating" screen whilst the com-puter crunches all the numbers.

Quasar
Site Admin

Post by Quasar » Thu Jun 14, 2012 1:56 am

Hmm... that seems sound in theory. If I provide an option to run the game at Ultra speed, without drawing, it would run at 10x speed without the 60fps frame-rate limiter, and without drawing anything. If I had to guess, it might be able to get up to about 30x speed on a high-spec machine.

Interesting idea, I'll have to look into it. I was already planning on disabling the game-drawing to free up CPU for some screens, like the 2D map or the Web of Life. Somehow the idea of just disabling it completely to run the game as fast as possbile never crossed my mind.

Reprieve

Post by Reprieve » Thu Jun 14, 2012 5:00 pm

If it's too much to start/stop drawing on the fly, it could always be an option when you start the game. "Simulate the world super fast for a bit before I start looking at it."

Might even play well into the naturalist mode I suggested to you earlier *nudge nudge, wink wink*

Quasar
Site Admin

Post by Quasar » Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:39 pm

Reprieve wrote:Might even play well into the naturalist mode I suggested to you earlier *nudge nudge, wink wink*
Actually I've been thinking about that, and I've sort of realised: the ideal gameplay for a game like this is simply "science". Not to the same extent as real science, of course, but the gameplay rewards and goals should be the natural result of discovery, rather than (as in some other games) experience points and achievements.

This stems from another idea on the blog:
Quasar wrote:Player-motivated creature editing will take two forms: artificial selection (kill off the creatures with small legs, promote the ones with huge legs) and direct genetic manipulation, where you make changes and then create a creature and compare it to it’s parents to see what the gene you just played about with was.

Actually that gives me a really good idea: what if the game records this information for the future, so you could modify that gene again without having to remember where in the genecode it was? Rather than just earning some abstract “experience points” or something, the game rewards you directly by showing you what you actually discovered and making it available for the future.
Your naturalist mode idea plays rather well with that: rather than just informing the player when a speciation occurs, make them actually go out and check for it, and make estimates as to it's current generation and parent species. Taking it even further, whatever points you get for successfully spotting a speciation (and estimating correctly) could be put towards an automatic scanning upgrade, which detects speciations for you when you get bored of doing it manually.

I need to be careful with this sort of gameplay idea, though: the game isn't, nor will it ever be, edutainment. That's something I intend to hold fast to. So the 'estimating' will have to be treated as a way to get extra bonus points if you're keen, rather than as something expected of you every time you detect a speciation.

Reprieve

Post by Reprieve » Sun Jun 17, 2012 11:54 am

My plan with the naturalist mode was never for it to be edutainment (I feel like it is my baby, so I say "my plan") since it is just what science does in real life but inside the simulation. The only really snazzy part of it was (a) the creatures looked funky and (b) the point system. Other than that it's just hyper-accelerated (and simplified) science.

This notion of detecting speciation does seem interesting, but I'm not sure how the game could tip them off that it may have occurred without giving it away. Perhaps a "your colleague believes a speciation event has occurred, peer review his work" then you go over to that creature, do your genetic magic, and check if its right. But that seems like it would get rather droll after a while. Imo naturalist mode should be turning off essentially all input from the game. It just does its stuff and its up to you to look for speciation events, detect them and then reconstruct phylogenetic trees (and you get points if these things are close to what the game believes has happened).

Sassy Cassie

Post by Sassy Cassie » Fri Jan 02, 2015 4:33 am

I believe I remember, almost a year ago(I cant believe how long its been..) 20 Characters saying he hated seeing dead threads being revived for ABSOLUTELy no reason at all..........................................................................................How do you feel 20? How do you feel?
"Always trust Greeks bearing gifts. Your friendly neighborhood psycopath might be that gift."
-AΘE22
Tiberius wrote: Friendocracy? Obviously an incredibly alien and classist society. Down with the Charismatic Elite!!! Friends for Everyone!!!

20 characters!

Post by 20 characters! » Fri Jan 02, 2015 8:10 am

AOE22 wrote:I believe I remember, almost a year ago(I cant believe how long its been..) 20 Characters saying he hated seeing dead threads being revived for ABSOLUTELy no reason at all..........................................................................................How do you feel 20? How do you feel?
Actually I knid of love it, and quasar said that, we kind off got into a whole emotional spat over it.

http://speciesgame.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=732
youtubeuserSara3346
20 characters! wrote:*explodes into a gore shower
combi2 wrote: ... thought that all cows could produce unlimited antibodies,boy am i a retard.
combi2 wrote:you can`t thats not how humans work
Grockstar wrote:Bats it is then. They are the poor man's snake.
ImageImageImage

Sassy Cassie

Post by Sassy Cassie » Fri Jan 02, 2015 1:33 pm

Ok. Thats actually npt what I was talking about... I thought it was either you or Angerdomeable, but SOMEBODY posted they hated bringing back dead posts, so that very day I brought back the very most dead post. I did the same today cause it was midnight and I couldnt sleep.
"Always trust Greeks bearing gifts. Your friendly neighborhood psycopath might be that gift."
-AΘE22
Tiberius wrote: Friendocracy? Obviously an incredibly alien and classist society. Down with the Charismatic Elite!!! Friends for Everyone!!!