Greetings from FinlanD!

Welcome to the population! New organisms can introduce themselves here.
User avatar
White parrot
Posts: 1821
Joined: Wed Sep 12, 2012 4:42 pm

Re: Greetings from FinlanD!

Post by White parrot » Wed Feb 03, 2016 2:44 am

Welcome Samuli! :) I think it's always interesting to see the differences in design choices among evolution simulators, so I'm curious to look at Metapopulous. I'll probably be diving into your blog's archive. :P
At this point, we shouldn't be surprised by anything nature does. She's like a meth addict whose drug-fueled rampages unfold in slow motion and span millions of years.
Silly Otter wrote:Welcome to the forum.
Please ignore the cultists.

User avatar
20 characters!
Posts: 19204
Joined: Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:08 am
Location: North America, the best and worst bit of it.
Contact:

Re: Greetings from FinlanD!

Post by 20 characters! » Wed Feb 03, 2016 4:46 am

White parrot wrote:Welcome Samuli! :) I think it's always interesting to see the differences in design choices among evolution simulators, so I'm curious to look at Metapopulous. I'll probably be diving into your blog's archive. :P
He has a blog,as well as a YouTube channel? May I have a link?
youtubeuserSara3346
20 characters! wrote:*explodes into a gore shower
combi2 wrote: ... thought that all cows could produce unlimited antibodies,boy am i a retard.
combi2 wrote:you can`t thats not how humans work
Grockstar wrote:Bats it is then. They are the poor man's snake.
ImageImageImage

User avatar
Prudentia
Posts: 3934
Joined: Mon Nov 03, 2014 2:56 am

Re: Greetings from FinlanD!

Post by Prudentia » Wed Feb 03, 2016 4:43 pm

20 characters! wrote:
White parrot wrote:Welcome Samuli! :) I think it's always interesting to see the differences in design choices among evolution simulators, so I'm curious to look at Metapopulous. I'll probably be diving into your blog's archive. :P
He has a blog,as well as a YouTube channel? May I have a link?
Here's the site.
http://www.metapopulus.com/
Black Rockfish, Sebastes melanops, ~12 inches, of the coast of Newport, Oregon.

Samuli
Posts: 8
Joined: Mon Feb 01, 2016 7:30 am

Re: Greetings from FinlanD!

Post by Samuli » Thu Feb 04, 2016 10:48 am

Do you have future plans to deal more with epigenetics? It would allow significantly more diversity than just DNA present alone. Do you have plans at present regarding other color variations, such as melanism or leucism?
Thanks for the comment! We had a long lasting discussion on epigenetics in the beginning of the process. Problem is that even without epigenetics, it is super challenging to make this kind of a science simulation user-friendly. So, at the moment we ignore epigenetics... but maybe in the future.

One of the genetic disorders the creatures can suffer is albinism. Leucism and melanism are good ideas, thanks :)

Samuli
Posts: 8
Joined: Mon Feb 01, 2016 7:30 am

Re: Greetings from FinlanD!

Post by Samuli » Thu Feb 04, 2016 11:05 am

Thanks for the feedback White Parrot! I´m surprised that there ain´t that many games about evolution, yet. Like I wrote, our project concentrated on microevolution (adaptation) and metapopulations (http://www.helsinki.fi/science/metapop/).

User avatar
20 characters!
Posts: 19204
Joined: Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:08 am
Location: North America, the best and worst bit of it.
Contact:

Re: Greetings from FinlanD!

Post by 20 characters! » Fri Feb 05, 2016 12:41 am

Samuli wrote:
Do you have future plans to deal more with epigenetics? It would allow significantly more diversity than just DNA present alone. Do you have plans at present regarding other color variations, such as melanism or leucism?
Thanks for the comment! We had a long lasting discussion on epigenetics in the beginning of the process. Problem is that even without epigenetics, it is super challenging to make this kind of a science simulation user-friendly. So, at the moment we ignore epigenetics... but maybe in the future.

One of the genetic disorders the creatures can suffer is albinism. Leucism and melanism are good ideas, thanks :)
I wouldn't call those disorders and I wouldn't say the creatures "suffer" from them either, especially when there are plenty of when having very dark skin or no pigment can be extremely useful, for example if you are a cave dweller(albinism), or if you live in the dense foliage(melanism)

Now if you seen the only turns the I am site out when activated and there's absolutely nothing else, and you can no way benefit the creature under any circumstance, then I would call that a genetic disorder, and I would say that the creatures that suffer from it, I just think the examples used our horrible ones for that matter, they should just be called "traits ".
youtubeuserSara3346
20 characters! wrote:*explodes into a gore shower
combi2 wrote: ... thought that all cows could produce unlimited antibodies,boy am i a retard.
combi2 wrote:you can`t thats not how humans work
Grockstar wrote:Bats it is then. They are the poor man's snake.
ImageImageImage

Samuli
Posts: 8
Joined: Mon Feb 01, 2016 7:30 am

Re: Greetings from FinlanD!

Post by Samuli » Fri Feb 05, 2016 1:37 pm

I wouldn't call those disorders and I wouldn't say the creatures "suffer" from them either, especially when there are plenty of when having very dark skin or no pigment can be extremely useful, for example if you are a cave dweller(albinism), or if you live in the dense foliage(melanism)
You have a very good point! I spoke about our simulation Metapopulus. In our model the creature really suffers from albinism. But it is only expressed when creature inherits albinism genes from both parents (homotsygous). A heterotsygous creature (carrier of the disorder) might have some very "positive" effects from it. This model works like sickle cell disease.

If the disorder gene doesn´t have any benefits, it will disappear from the population in a long run by evolution.

Samuli
Posts: 8
Joined: Mon Feb 01, 2016 7:30 am

Re: Greetings from FinlanD!

Post by Samuli » Fri Feb 05, 2016 2:04 pm

... And yes, it can be called a trait as well.

User avatar
White parrot
Posts: 1821
Joined: Wed Sep 12, 2012 4:42 pm

Re: Greetings from FinlanD!

Post by White parrot » Fri Feb 05, 2016 9:13 pm

Eh, 20characters! is kind of a stickler for his own brand of mutational terminology -though I personally think this is excessive political correctness on his part.
Also, albinism is pretty damaging in most situations. Why do you think it's a rare mutation? :roll:
At this point, we shouldn't be surprised by anything nature does. She's like a meth addict whose drug-fueled rampages unfold in slow motion and span millions of years.
Silly Otter wrote:Welcome to the forum.
Please ignore the cultists.

User avatar
20 characters!
Posts: 19204
Joined: Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:08 am
Location: North America, the best and worst bit of it.
Contact:

Re: Greetings from FinlanD!

Post by 20 characters! » Sat Feb 06, 2016 12:12 am

White parrot wrote:Eh, 20characters! is kind of a stickler for his own brand of mutational terminology -though I personally think this is excessive political correctness on his part.
Also, albinism is pretty damaging in most situations. Why do you think it's a rare mutation? :roll:
In humans. Albinism is rare in humans, in troglodytes it is COMMON and beneficial.

I don't do it because of PC bull rap I do it because I want to not overly anthropomorphize the discusdion of what in many(or used to be many) cases on this forum, is Xenobiology or at the very least where a humanistic view is a somewhat iffy proposition.(for me anyway)

On that note, I've noticed that I have not seen any evolution simulators, or really any games that even deal with evolution address troglodytes, or fossorial animals in anyway whatsoever, I'm thinking they don't get enough love sad face.

And probably one of the reasons that they don't get enough love is again because of the fact that we are humans, and we tend not to see these animals very often in our lives no matter where we live, no matter how common and they may be...
youtubeuserSara3346
20 characters! wrote:*explodes into a gore shower
combi2 wrote: ... thought that all cows could produce unlimited antibodies,boy am i a retard.
combi2 wrote:you can`t thats not how humans work
Grockstar wrote:Bats it is then. They are the poor man's snake.
ImageImageImage

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 3 guests