0.9.0.Ex (Experimental)

It's work complete, the playtesting forum rides off into the sunset.
Natural_20

Re: 0.9.0.Ex (Experimental)

Post by Natural_20 » Mon Mar 07, 2016 7:34 am

Quasar wrote:
It seems that the nursery is practically incapable of getting a species to evolve new limbs.
Hmm. In hindsight, I had noticed that the limbs seemed to turn on and off semi-randomly in the nursery. I agree with your assessment: most likely the boolean gene's aren't weighted fairly.

(edit) Ah, there it is. It's not a weighting issue, it's a problem with the way genetic distances in mapped genes are calculated.

Specifically: it searches the gene map for the target gene, starting at the current gene index, but to reduce the performance impact it stops after a few 'jumps' and just adds a fairly high value to the distance.

This means that, as far as the nursery is concerned, if you're not within 2 or 3 jumps of the target limb, a creature with no limb is just as distant as a creature with a
basic one. The same applies to head types and body covers, though they're less noticable since there is no "None" type with them (and, of course, neck and tail have their own
"PartExists" boolean gene).

Since genetic distance is usually used for analysing similar creatures (potential mates and creatures in the same species), this hasn't been a
problem till now.

I'll have to do something about it. The easiest solution would simply be to keep searching the mutation map until we find the gene we're looking for, but it might be more
processor friendly to front-load this processing and store the distances alongside each gene.
An old suggestion of mine that I feel is relevant:
Limb evolution :
1.Limb type must be at least 1, and no longer governs whether a limb is present. That function is handled by a new variable in point #2.

2. All scale variables of a given limb are now adjusted by a new variable called "limb size multiplier". This defaults to 0,meaning "no limb"; when it mutates, all limb scale variables are multiplied by this amount (cannot be negative) to determine their final size. This allows limbs to evolve in a more sane way, starting out small and slowly evolving to become larger. It also fixes the extreme atavism problem, where the limb type gene gets turned back on suddenly to produce huge limbs. Instead, the limb reappears as a smaller version of the same proportions.
Quasar wrote:Dammit, we forgot to sell the psycho drugs and now the chickens are ODing.

Quasar
Site Admin

Post by Quasar » Mon Mar 07, 2016 10:02 pm

An update...

Fixed the crash-to-desktop that happens when exporting/importing/selecting target creatures. Turns out it wasn’t acknowledging the possibility that the exported creature list might be empty (I did all my testing with a healthy complement of exported creatures, mostly named things like “derpy” and “doik”).

Made a few minor tweaks to the game, nothing serious. Reduced the grazing effect, adjusted things so that capturing a creature only sets the genetic target if you haven’t already captured one.

Finally spotted the cause of an exception that’s plagued the game since 0.4.0, and probably makes up a good 30% of the exception reports in my inbox: the dreaded: “The active render target and depth stencil surface must have the same pixel size and multisampling type.” Turns out it’s quite simple: if you change the resolution and start a new game, the game doesn’t reset the existing render targets to the new width and height. Now I could fix it properly, find all the render targets after a resolution change and carefully reset each one of them before returning to the main menu... or I could just say “Screw it” and call Application.Restart().

... “Screw it.”

Finally, I’m currently working on adding checkboxes to the genome editor, so you can turn selection pressures on and off on a per-gene basis. I think that’s a promising feature, and I may even turn off unused selection pressure’s by default (that is, uncheck the box next to every gene, and check it when you change the value of each gene). I’m hoping to complete that by this afternoon and maybe have a hotfix out by tomorrow. No promises at this stage though.

No luck on any of the other, longer-term bugs and issues: it’s very hard to find time to observe a multiple-hour run of the game. If anyone has save files which are exhibiting the long-term bugs you’re reporting, could you zip ‘em up and send them to me? It’s so much easier when I don’t have spend hours trying to replicate long term bugs myself.

geckoguy42

Post by geckoguy42 » Tue Mar 08, 2016 4:36 pm

Quasar wrote:see above
what about mine problem? i cant even start the game (because when the map is loading the game crash)
He is the all imortal DRAGONHORSE!

20 characters!

Post by 20 characters! » Wed Mar 09, 2016 12:06 am

I can't wait for the hot fix to come out so I can find new bugs.
youtubeuserSara3346
20 characters! wrote:*explodes into a gore shower
combi2 wrote: ... thought that all cows could produce unlimited antibodies,boy am i a retard.
combi2 wrote:you can`t thats not how humans work
Grockstar wrote:Bats it is then. They are the poor man's snake.
ImageImageImage

20 characters!

Post by 20 characters! » Wed Mar 09, 2016 1:00 am

I discovered a new bug I was playing in a world slighted by water, but the water was very shallow because I had raise the height of the land massively and I had lower the water level too as l I discovered a new bug I was playing in a world slighted by water, but the water was very shallow because I had raised slope enormously. The map was in the way si The map was an oasis.

The weird part happens when I looked on the mini Mac mini map showed lots of plants sprouting over the world in the shallow water, whenever I went to any of these locations no plans existed, it was like ghost flora had suddenly appeared.
youtubeuserSara3346
20 characters! wrote:*explodes into a gore shower
combi2 wrote: ... thought that all cows could produce unlimited antibodies,boy am i a retard.
combi2 wrote:you can`t thats not how humans work
Grockstar wrote:Bats it is then. They are the poor man's snake.
ImageImageImage

Quasar
Site Admin

Post by Quasar » Wed Mar 09, 2016 9:51 am

geckoguy42

Post by geckoguy42 » Wed Mar 09, 2016 12:19 pm

with the hotfix the game doesn´t even open any more just stop working :|

but at least the prerelease 2 opens, but i cant clickthe generate or acept button (on the options menu) with my mouse... and i cant drag the window too
-Some minutes after, i managed to change te resolution with some mouse acrobatics, even i dont know what happened, everything buged and the game crashed, but it changed the resolution when i restarted the game... and the game don´t crash anymore when i generate the map yay
He is the all imortal DRAGONHORSE!

Quasar
Site Admin

Post by Quasar » Wed Mar 09, 2016 8:02 pm

geckoguy42 wrote:-Some minutes after, i managed to change te resolution with some mouse acrobatics, even i dont know what happened, everything buged and the game crashed, but it changed the resolution when i restarted the game... and the game don´t crash anymore when i generate the map yay
My bad. Forgot to delete the profile.txt file that defines resolution before I uploaded it.

I'm trying to re-upload now, but it's taking forever and I'll have to leave soon... If anyone else encounters problems, try deleting profile.txt.

Grockstar124

Post by Grockstar124 » Wed Mar 09, 2016 11:25 pm

Noted. Again, I might try this once the quarter ends this Friday, hopefully my school work doesn't decide to fail me. More playtesters, the better, right?
See how the game of life is never won, you only play
Bore him and you will find you're crumpled up and thrown away
Clinging to fate and blaming it when life won't go your way
Such a laugh, HA! Life is just a game!

↑The Game of Life↓

empocariam

Post by empocariam » Fri Mar 11, 2016 1:56 am

Nursery is working A LOT better this time around, especially in the limb growth department. I think the check-boxes for focused genes also really helps makes the species a little more survivable outside of the Nursery, since they can adapt on their own a little.

The automatic food efficiency population control also is working really well, I rarely ever reach creature cap.

Still have the same bug where if while in the Nursery's gene editor, you set a creatures feature number to >2, the Features tab itself won't open.

Crash Report from trying to load a save. Last thing I did before saving and quitting was release a creature from the nursery, but nothing actually caused a crash in the game world.
ArgumentOutOfRangeException

Index was out of range. Must be non-negative and less than the size of the collection.
Parameter name: index

at System.ThrowHelper.ThrowArgumentOutOfRangeException(ExceptionArgument argument, ExceptionResource resource)
at System.ThrowHelper.ThrowArgumentOutOfRangeException()
at System.Collections.Generic.List`1.set_Item(Int32 index, T value)
at SpeciesALRE.World.Creatures.Genome.Load(BinaryReader reader) in C:\Users\Quasar\Documents\Qu's Projects\Species\Source\Species\World\Creatures\Genome\Genome.cs:line 680
at SpeciesALRE.World.Artificial.Nursery.Load(BinaryReader reader) in C:\Users\Quasar\Documents\Qu's Projects\Species\Source\Species\World\Artificial\Nursary.cs:line 355
at SpeciesALRE.World.World.LoadWorldFromFile(GraphicsDevice GraphicsDevice, String FileName, GameCamera cCamera) in C:\Users\Quasar\Documents\Qu's Projects\Species\Source\Species\World\SaveLoad.cs:line 489
at SpeciesALRE.World.World.BuildWorld(GraphicsDevice GraphicsDevice, String& loadGameFilePath, Int32 seed) in C:\Users\Quasar\Documents\Qu's Projects\Species\Source\Species\World\World.cs:line 208
at SpeciesALRE.Game1.Update(GameTime gameTime) in C:\Users\Quasar\Documents\Qu's Projects\Species\Source\Species\Game1.cs:line 567
at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Game.Tick()
at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Game.HostIdle(Object sender, EventArgs e)
at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.GameHost.OnIdle()
at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.WindowsGameHost.ApplicationIdle(Object sender, EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Application.ThreadContext.System.Windows.Forms.UnsafeNativeMethods.IMsoComponent.FDoIdle(Int32 grfidlef)
at System.Windows.Forms.Application.ComponentManager.System.Windows.Forms.UnsafeNativeMethods.IMsoComponentManager.FPushMessageLoop(Int32 dwComponentID, Int32 reason, Int32 pvLoopData)
at System.Windows.Forms.Application.ThreadContext.RunMessageLoopInner(Int32 reason, ApplicationContext context)
at System.Windows.Forms.Application.ThreadContext.RunMessageLoop(Int32 reason, ApplicationContext context)
at System.Windows.Forms.Application.Run(Form mainForm)
at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.WindowsGameHost.Run()
at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Game.Run()
at SpeciesALRE.Program.Main(String[] args) in C:\Users\Quasar\Documents\Qu's Projects\Species\Source\Species\Program.cs:line 21

Species, Version=0.9.0.385, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null

Installation Path: C:\Users\Damian\Desktop\Species 0.9.0 (Prerelease #2)
CultureInfo: English (United States) | Decimal Character: "."
UIView: None | SelectionMode: Ecosystem