0.8.0 (Experimental)

It's work complete, the playtesting forum rides off into the sunset.
Natural_20

Re: 0.8.0 (Experimental)

Post by Natural_20 » Sun Apr 05, 2015 2:03 am

The efficiency bug only makes changing the efficiency settings useless, so while it does explain why changing that has no effect, it doesn't explain the default behavior. We'll have to test more when Q gets around to that hotfix.

BUG: The species list still doesn't show correct stats when you highlight the species name. This isn't a new one either; this has been broken since 0.7.
Quasar wrote:Dammit, we forgot to sell the psycho drugs and now the chickens are ODing.

Skylimit

Post by Skylimit » Sun Apr 05, 2015 6:30 am

I remember from previous versions, if you had like 4000 creatures in one spot, that in no time, all vegetation was gone, which lead to a collapse, often even mass extinction. So you rather needed to protect them from reaching that point. The effect on vegetation was even nicely visualized in the satallite map

Now, I don't see this anymore, which would also explain uncontrollable growth.
I need to reduce landmass, temperature and fertility all to 1/10 th and still see them piling literally onto eachother. There is point that breaks them, but it is an environment where even 1 creature wouldn't survive, so that would also explain that when you get to that point, mass extinction is inevitable. So currently we only have population either at cap (infinite) or zero. Everything in between are intermediate states heading for 0 or infinite.

Natural_20

Post by Natural_20 » Sun Apr 05, 2015 7:36 pm

Yeah, they do seem to maintain huge populations without even utilizing much of the plant life. There is some kind of meat-related bug going on here. It's like converting plant matter to meat (eating it) is resulting in a net gain in energy or something, so half the population are omnivorous cannibals.

Ugh... We need that food efficiency bug fixed so that we can test lower settings (changing the value does nothing right now)
Quasar wrote:Dammit, we forgot to sell the psycho drugs and now the chickens are ODing.

empocariam

Post by empocariam » Mon Apr 06, 2015 12:17 am

The game seems to be relatively stable, and I don't have the most powerful machine either. Other than the obvious uncontrollable population/food efficiency stuff, there has only been two minor things I noticed. (One might not even be a new bug)

1.) The game crashes if you put a ten digit number or higher in the Seed box.
1a.) The "New Seed" button only generates numbers from 1-99 it seems. I'm not sure if there are literally only 100 seeds and I never noticed the repeats before now, or if this is some new limitation of the seed system, or if it is indeed a bug.

2.) Since I too was messing around with food efficiencies to work out what was going on with the population, I got a lot of Mass Extinctions. So instead of dipping out into a new map, I just revived and fed the last Primum Specicum to die and coddled them until it began to reproduce and survive. This had the effect of their species line on the clade diagram being marked as extinct, but it continued growing and branching off into extant lines, all the while being blue and ending in an X. Again, the clade diagram has all kinda of weirdness so this might not even be a new bug.
Last edited by empocariam on Mon Apr 06, 2015 6:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Alienbird

Post by Alienbird » Mon Apr 06, 2015 4:54 am

empocariam wrote:The game seems to be relatively stable, and I don't have the most powerful machine either. Other than the obvious uncontrollable population/food efficiency stuff, there has only been two minor things I noticed. (One might not even be a new bug)

1.) The game crashes if you put a ten digit number or higher in the Seed box.
1a.) The "New Seed" button only generates numbers from 1-99 it seems. I'm not sure if there are literally only 100 seeds and I never noticed the repeats before now, or if this is some new limitation of the seed system, or if it is indeed a bug.

2.) Since I too was messing around with food efficiencies to work out what was going on with the population, I got a lot of Mass Extinctions. So instead of dipping out into a new map, I just revived and fed the last Primum Specicum to die and coddled them until it began to reproduce and survive. This had the effect of their species line on the clade diagram being marked as extinct, but it continued growing and branching off into extant lines, all the while being blue and ending in an X. Again, the clade diagram has all kinda of weirdness so this might not even be a new big.
That second one isn't new. I had screwball clade diagrams in 0.7.0. Whole branches would be marked as extinct despite the fact that their descendants continued to exist. So there would be big breaks in the color if you tried to trace back one line.

11builderboy11

Post by 11builderboy11 » Mon Apr 06, 2015 1:54 pm

20 characters! wrote:I had some encouters with floating/flying creatures and trees.
Floating creatures aren't new, but floating trees MIGHT be new...
20 characters! wrote:I don't know whether this is meant to happen in using a logo and world with a couple of mountains the temperature set to be based on height so apparently the tops of the mountains are volcanoes, there were many herbivores on this map this trip the greenery for much of the love some of them apparently adapted to living on the burning mountains had fairly wide bodies and extreme health capacities and they just sat there eating while they were on fire burning burning burning and before their house which reach zero they would leak down the mountain practically cool off letting their digested me up fill up their health again… Then they would climb up the mountain once more.

So in summary, number one temperature based on height, number two many, number three herbivores adapt to being on fire.
Fascinating.

11builderboy11

Post by 11builderboy11 » Mon Apr 06, 2015 2:29 pm

I love me some roasted meat in the infinite day.

Also, creatures migrating in packs!
They all seemed to be looking for trees/other plants.

And then there's THESE creatures, who survived in the cold water:

Prudentia

Post by Prudentia » Mon Apr 06, 2015 10:28 pm

11builderboy11 wrote:Also, creatures migrating in packs!
I am getting a lot of that too, and it is, to me, the creepiest aspect especially when some sync their behavior and movement. And of course the all present boom and bust cycle.
My Rovers also seem to reset to feed population when lower thand 50 and higher than 500. When they were at kill when population is higher than 250 and 650 respectively. I also can not get an overhead view, was that removed?
Black Rockfish, Sebastes melanops, ~12 inches, of the coast of Newport, Oregon.

Quasar
Site Admin

Post by Quasar » Tue Apr 07, 2015 7:41 am

Alright guys, 0.8.0.Ex (patch 1) can be downloaded here:

http://www.speciesgame.com/Downloads/Re ... h%201).zip

it's a patch, so you'll need 0.8.0 already installed (see the original post). To install, simply extract the files and copy them into your species folder, overwriting the ones that are already there.

This version makes the fix addressed in this blog post: https://speciesdevblog.wordpress.com/20 ... -bug-post/ as well as a whole bunch of other tweaks related to diet. It should also be compatible with your existing 0.8.0 saves.

No promises it'll actually fix anything, I haven't really tested it. It certainly seems to make survival more of a struggle for them, though.

Skylimit

Post by Skylimit » Tue Apr 07, 2015 7:05 pm

In my first attempt worldsize 1.5, meat 0.46, trees & grass 0.48
I get population constant around 1200
That is already good, but they all specialize at herbivores

I'll now play around a bit with the settings and see if I can get a mix
Last edited by Skylimit on Tue Apr 07, 2015 8:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.