0.8.0 (Experimental)

It's work complete, the playtesting forum rides off into the sunset.
Quasar
Site Admin

0.8.0 (Experimental)

Post by Quasar » Fri Apr 03, 2015 3:37 am

0.8.0 is ready for playtesting!

The same disclaimers as last time apply:

• if you're just playing for fun and don't like having your fun interrupted by random crashes and bugs, don't download this version. We're not talking about a couple minor bugs here. We're talking swarms, nay plagues of bugs. If you're at all entomophobic, wait for the public release which will be far more stable.

• playtesting may not happen every update (though it seems to be becoming a more regular thing, which is nice). Additionally, this forum is temporary. It will be hidden again after the public release.

• Bug reports for the experimental version go in this forum, not in the bug report forum. That will allow us to keep the bugs in the experimental and released versions separate.

So here we go:

Species 0.8.0 Experimental

Installation instructions are the same as always:

- Install XNA 3.1.
- Unzip to a location that isn't Program Files, My Documents or your Desktop.
- Run the exe.
- Enjoy!

Prudentia

Re: 0.8.0 (Experimental)

Post by Prudentia » Fri Apr 03, 2015 5:58 am

Imported (genetically engineered) creatures, die instantaneously, only being generated as a lovely red mist. Also do not know if this is a bug or just an example of the good/better Ai, but 250 became 1400+ in 3 min and 3 seconds on the lowest speed setting.
Black Rockfish, Sebastes melanops, ~12 inches, of the coast of Newport, Oregon.

Quasar
Site Admin

Post by Quasar » Fri Apr 03, 2015 6:06 am

Prudentia wrote:Imported (genetically engineered) creatures, die instantaneously, only being generated as a lovely red mist. Also do not know if this is a bug or just an example of the good/better Ai, but 250 became 1400+ in 3 min and 3 seconds on the lowest speed setting.
Most odd. I'm not seeing either of those bugs on my end.

Were you using the default settings? They stabilize around 300 when I start the game up without changing anything here.

20 characters!

Post by 20 characters! » Fri Apr 03, 2015 6:19 am

I don't know whether this is meant to happen in using a logo and world with a couple of mountains the temperature set to be based on height so apparently the tops of the mountains are volcanoes, there were many herbivores on this map this trip the greenery for much of the love some of them apparently adapted to living on the burning mountains had fairly wide bodies and extreme health capacities and they just sat there eating while they were on fire burning burning burning and before their house which reach zero they would leak down the mountain practically cool off letting their digested me up fill up their health again… Then they would climb up the mountain once more.

So in summary, number one temperature based on height, number two many, number three herbivores adapt to being on fire.
youtubeuserSara3346
20 characters! wrote:*explodes into a gore shower
combi2 wrote: ... thought that all cows could produce unlimited antibodies,boy am i a retard.
combi2 wrote:you can`t thats not how humans work
Grockstar wrote:Bats it is then. They are the poor man's snake.
ImageImageImage

Quasar
Site Admin

Post by Quasar » Fri Apr 03, 2015 6:43 am

20 characters! wrote: herbivores adapt to being on fire.
Being on fire is a valid survival strategy. They can't grab you if you're on fire.

http://drmcninja.com/archives/comic/4p15/

Prudentia

Post by Prudentia » Fri Apr 03, 2015 6:55 am

Found out P. specium boomed from food, I read that you made them better but this a lot better. I also discovered what was wrong my horrific creation. Apparently I made it too large to do anything but pivot in place. I also have two creatures from random whose asses happen to be on fire and I can not remember how to take a screenshot. Also, does P. specium have a hive mind? because on the 1400 (now 1100) world, groups of them will move together, stop and sniff the exact same moment, and will mimic each other's movement. Very disconcerting, more so than any possible physical features.
Black Rockfish, Sebastes melanops, ~12 inches, of the coast of Newport, Oregon.

Omnisus

Post by Omnisus » Fri Apr 03, 2015 11:41 am

Mouses cursor has some problems with hitbox. I clicked button to decrease music volume, but value was increased. I tried to take printscreen, but cursor is invisible :)

Edit:

It isnt problem with cursor, it is problem with hitbox of buttons in options, because in new game everything works corectly.

Obscerno

Post by Obscerno » Fri Apr 03, 2015 11:53 am

No crashes yet!

I found a few non-major bugs though, so I'll post them as I play.

1. I noticed a small grass rendering issue. Go to the top of a hill with grass on it, with a view of the ocean, in the first-person camera. Stand a bit down the hill on the non-ocean side, and walk up the hill. As the horizon comes into view, you can see more grass being rendered above the water than below it. Screenshot:

2. If you are in the first person camera mode, pull up the statistics menu or the overview menu, and then exit, you're bumped back into that free-fly camera mode. Like I said, non-major, but maybe a bit annoying over time.

PS: Bonus non-bug, but suggestion: The freefly camera can keep flying off into the ocean forever. This isn't new, but maybe add something to stop it? Again, its just sort of annoying, not game-breaking, but this is a playtesting thread, so I figured I'd throw it out there!

PPS: I love the sleep animations. :)

geckoguy42

Post by geckoguy42 » Fri Apr 03, 2015 12:12 pm

Can you make a experimental version that dont need a powerful pc to work?
He is the all imortal DRAGONHORSE!

Ewery1

Post by Ewery1 » Fri Apr 03, 2015 1:47 pm

Not that simple gecko.
- Your local Red Panda with way too much power
Yasahiro wrote:Then improve the amphibity.... It's a word now, I made it.
Join my new classic competition game!

They're all grown up!
Image Image Image