Terrain Editing?

Suggest a beneficial feature, or idea's for the future.
Alpha

Terrain Editing?

Post by Alpha » Sat Oct 12, 2013 5:08 am

Maybe in Species they could eventually add terrain editing ( such as creating mountains, seas, etc) like in Spore. anyway, it's just a suggestion to make the game more fun. :)
My Major Competitions:
Droetis
Charbiss
Petrixic

sylverone

Re: Terrain Editing?

Post by sylverone » Sat Oct 12, 2013 6:08 am

I almost expect this one to be a given. It would certainly be great for setting up experiments. The ability to create impassable walls to cordon off creatures could be handy as part of this.

Neovenator

Post by Neovenator » Sat Oct 12, 2013 1:50 pm

In the comments on the main blog, Qu said that the engine doesn't really do well with changing terrain mid-game, but walls are almost certainly going to be in at some point.

sylverone

Post by sylverone » Mon Oct 14, 2013 11:33 pm

Huh, okay. The terrain setup may be open to some changes though. Whatever Quasar does to fix the snowball effect once and for all may make the scenes more editable, or maybe not.

At the very least, a good pre-sim terrain editor capable of making good maps would be nice. In fact, it would be great if users could create maps in an abstract way that would let them make presets. Place a few points to represent high and low spots and let the algorithm fill in the terrain randomly between them, for instance. So if I want three islands with a different temperature and/or fertility level for each of them, I can set three mountain peaks (dots of high altitude) around and define three temperature/fertility zones (which would automatically get some internal variation based on the other settings in the sim, like temperature variance, and which would be interpolated between to create transitional areas if the options were set for that). Or something. :)