Lots of neat suggestions

Suggest a beneficial feature, or idea's for the future.
HumanBeing101

Lots of neat suggestions

Post by HumanBeing101 » Fri Aug 23, 2013 12:48 am

Hello, I installed Species and I think it's awesome. I just have a few suggestions for the game.

Pack behavior- Animals of the same species or very similar species should exhibit pack or herd behavior, roaming around in groups perhaps grazing, or hunting.
In herds, some animals look out for carnivorous predators while other graze/eat from trees. They rotate and take turns. When a predator gets nearby, the herd is alerted and they either run away or fight back
In a pack, the predators hunt in groups, possibly going around a single animal or a large herd of animals.

Organized societies- By this I don't mean towns or cities. I'm thinking more like beehive/anthill behavior. All of the animals work together against other species for their queen.

Plant evolution- I think plants should also be affected by its environment. Obviously climate change, rising sea levels, and changes in fertility would change it. But for instance if some animal were eating the plants too quickly, some plants could randomly mutate resilience, for instance, poison or spikes, and others would develop a faster way to reproduce, while the stragglers that didn't get these awesome mutations would die off.

Disease- The player could randomly release a pathogen set on killing a certain group of animals. It;s a bit different from a rover because first, the pathogen method feels more natural and second, it should spread more quickly. Third, it would generate less lag than many rovers at once. It would be great if the player wanted some other species to get ahead or cause mass extinctions.
Also, plants should also have diseases. Plant diseases shouldn't directly affect creatures since plant and animal DNA differ way too much but plant diseases could cause the plant to produce different foods that would be unsuitable for the animal that originally ate it, or cause the plant to die out quickly, hurting the dependent species.

Radiation on plants- Players should be able to irradiate grass and plants to poison them or mutate them

Different foods- There should be a wide variety of flora each with foods suitable only to certain groups of animals.

Varying skeletons- At the moment, many of the skeletons are just the rib cage. It would be cool if skulls and limbs were added. And there should be vary skeletons. For instance, if a creature with a big head dies, it should have a big leftover skull whereas a creature with a small head should leave a small skull behind

Survival Mode- You are given a planet in which you lack control of environmental factors. You must use the individual creature tools like pick up and drop, irradiate, feed, DNA splicing, etc to advance more favorable traits (do not allow resurrection) and kill off the ones getting in the way and create ecological diversity. The world will randomly change in conditions such as water level, temperature, fertility, etc, and the changes will get more and more drastic and extreme as the game continues.

These are my suggestions for this game. I hope you take these into consideration :)

White parrot

Re: Lots of neat suggestions

Post by White parrot » Fri Aug 23, 2013 5:04 pm

Welcome to you, HumanBeing101 !
(... It totally sounded like something you'd hear at Aperture Science. :shock: )

I personally support each of these suggestion. :)
For information, here are some links concerning similar/close ideas :

Pack behavior/organized society : "Species deepening". A commonly requested feature, alongside with more brain for individuals. :roll: Meant as both complex and variable, this feature will need a bit of reflexion beforehand.

Plant evolution : "Plant evolution and animal function". While this topic has been evoked in the past, it was only superficially ; as far as I know, there isn't other suggestions than yours about poisoning/mutating plants. I guess that plants deserve less efforts than animals, being "less interesting", but the fact that different people make suggestions about them shows there is a demand for more complexity in the autotrophic population.
In "Plant ecology and diversity", Therminator elaborates on various aspects of ... planthood? Plantity? Plantitude?? @_@'

Disease : "Plague". Barely mentioned because of its conceptual simplicity, it is implicitly accepted as a very good feature. Note that due to their ability to spread, plagues are especially relevant in eventual multiplayer modes (cf "My take on multiplayer").

Different foods : "Food preference & Diet". Very nicely, Quasar gives here a reflexion about the gameplay implications of this. (Therminator notes insects could be found in plants, and elsewhere, here: "Insects as a new food source".)
Since you speak specifically about flora, I guess it is closely related to plant evolution : poison, height etc. would naturally segregate the herbivores once appeared.

(No suggestions about the skeleton thing ; it is a minor, but neat aesthetic thing.)

About the survival mode, you may be interested in talking with Skylimit : I didn't manage to find topics, but (s)he already played with the idea of different "modes" in Species (even though theirs were more about competition between players, IIRC).

Here we easily have materials for at least four developpement arcs : creature intelligence and communication, plant complexity and evolution, diseases, and the nebulous single and multiplayers modes.
... You might want to take a seat. :mrgreen:
Last edited by White parrot on Mon Mar 10, 2014 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
At this point, we shouldn't be surprised by anything nature does. She's like a meth addict whose drug-fueled rampages unfold in slow motion and span millions of years.
Silly Otter wrote:Welcome to the forum.
Please ignore the cultists.

HumanBeing101

Post by HumanBeing101 » Sat Aug 24, 2013 4:43 pm

Whoops, didn't really notice that other threads were made about some of the topics i posted.
But thanks...
shoot who took my seat?

Quasar
Site Admin

Post by Quasar » Sat Aug 24, 2013 11:14 pm

Thanks for those links White Parrot. Those threads are a goldmine of idea's and long lost thought processes.

I'm going to have to start going doing a thorough forum scan at least once every update, just to keep these idea's in mind and make sure I don't forget anything.

In fact, I think I'll sticky this thread, to provide a 'library' of the more detailed idea's and discussion's we've had here. Feel free to add more links to it, it'll be invaluable!

(or if you'd prefer I can dedicate an original thread to it rather than just promoting this one, your choice)

White parrot

Post by White parrot » Sun Aug 25, 2013 5:16 pm

Oh, thanks ! ^^

Well, I'd rather make a dedicated thread for OCD sake, but it's not very important.

I'll go see about other recurrent/developed suggestions now ...

EDIT :
What follows will be a bit disorganized, I fear : I was afraid to ignore crucial points by being too synthetic.

- The subject of global creatures AI has recently been addressed here ("Additionnal AI"), but for an older perspective, there is this topic ("Some thinking about creature's AI").
- Speaking of intelligence, here is the blog post about the official position on civilizations and tribes, and there's this topic.
- Ideas about implementing food chain, Skylimit has 'em, as seen here ("Rover like creatures") and there ("Food Chain : old lost thread").

- About multiplayer : Skylimit has indeed suggested different modes and features ("Food Chain : old lost thread" (don't ask), "Minigame : Clade runner", Online Multiplayer ; Naming & Adam Distance, about putting global datas of the world in the header of the save file to better associate maps etc.).
- The placement of the player base is relevant to the way two maps are connected ("Base Idea").
- Here ("My take on multiplayer"), AOE22 try to compile the suggested ideas into a single, coherent view.

- The clade diagram is a wonderful tool, but it become difficult to navigate it once it becomes too bushy. smjjames suggests adding scroll bars for the clade diagram, I propose using the List of living species as an index, Skylimit envisions options for hiding undesired datas in Clade diagram archiving.

- Lead poisoning militates for an "Organism import/export overhaul", including this suggestion from Skylimit : "Import upload directory".

- World generation editing would enable for more precise world-building. At least, more map types including the features most commonly needed for SCIENCE!! (a mountain chain bisecting the map, an archipelago ...) would be appreciated ("A few suggestions").

- Night and day could be problematic given the rate at which time elapses in game, as sexy as the possibility of nocturnal creatures might seem ...

- Expanding the highlight filter to the satelite map: "Species details in sattellite view".

- The topic about World Variables in 0.5.0 contains an argument for unlinking size and longevity in creatures.

- Skylimit noticed that the map is static enough that early creatures have difficulty surviving, while the later ones quickly escape control. (S)he has been seeking a way to balance that ever since : "Infinite world, relative speed & size", "Dynamic Food Allocation".

- There are plans to go beyond "Bilateria only ?".

- Once implemented, Cold Blooded/Warm Blooded creatures should be able to act in ways that alleviate their discomfort (migrating, bathing ...).

- The locomotion thread is meant as a reflection about non-walking locomotion. That being said, it is a bit old, and recent scribbles by Quasar remind that even walk itself is actually quite complex. In "Something probably suggested a thousand times before.", MrKyurem suggests digging and burrowing.

- Ny[m]phs, larvae and niche partitioning could be fun, if implemented in a way that species be identifiable through their stages ...
- Life history traits: thoughts about how babies differ from adults, and in which fashion they are produced.

- For Some leads about the "main character" personality and Building your drones, here are some topics that will not come into use until a veeeeeeery long time.
Last edited by White parrot on Tue Aug 05, 2014 10:51 pm, edited 6 times in total.
At this point, we shouldn't be surprised by anything nature does. She's like a meth addict whose drug-fueled rampages unfold in slow motion and span millions of years.

HumanBeing101

Post by HumanBeing101 » Mon Sep 02, 2013 1:51 am

This thread is stickied?
I feel so special now :3
I think white parrot should feel even more special though

White parrot

Post by White parrot » Wed Sep 18, 2013 7:05 pm

Yay ! :D

I'll try to add some links from time to time. The choice will be a bit subjective on my part, but eh, what can you do.

Last edits :
18/09/2013, around 21h. Added this topic and this one.
26/09/2013, around 22h. Added the map feature suggested in this topic. I'll wait for reactions from other people to see what they think about the new way to distinguish species. ;)
Last edited by White parrot on Thu Sep 26, 2013 8:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MrKyurem

Post by MrKyurem » Wed Sep 18, 2013 7:26 pm

I find it extremely ironic how I make a thread called "Something probably suggested a thousand times before" and it had something not suggested before...

AnarchCassius

Post by AnarchCassius » Fri Sep 20, 2013 4:36 am

"Pack behavior/ Organized societies" These are related and will be nessicarily for hive, herd and pack species. Probably do able with values like other beahvoir

"Plant evolution / Radiation on plants"

Heh, I was talking with my design group about ideas for a game that was JUST about plants. I'm torn between wanting to see this and wanting to make the first game with evolving plants :) Frankly I think this might help the game/simulation since the static plant types force animals to evolve in ways that they wouldn't if the feedback was more two way.

"Different foods"

Absolutely. In the real world carnivore, herbivore and omnivore are simplifications. We can get scavengers with non-aggressive carnivores but what about fruit eaters versus seed eaters? Even grazing versus tree-eating is a psychological attribute rather than a metabolic one.

I assume the diet meter reflects both a preference and efficiency. Instead of a single value we should have various kinds. I would do food types like so in a final version:

Eggs (made by certain animals someday)
Fruit (made by certain plants someday)
Seeds (made by most plants, visible in game someday)
Flesh - Red meat: The corpse creatures with fur or hide
Flesh - White meat: The corpse of creature with feather or lizard scale
Flesh - Fish: Fish scaled
Flesh - Invertebrate: Chiton and soft bodied animals.

You could do other types like leaves and wood based on plant covering types.

kyle902

Post by kyle902 » Thu Sep 26, 2013 9:48 pm

Someone suggested I post this idea here so.

How about we have a simple region type with a single impassable barrier halving it and a distinct biome on each side? This way we can easily test the adaptability of a species as well as isolate populations.