Add a pregnancy damage multiplier?

Suggest a beneficial feature, or idea's for the future.
Mogdu

Add a pregnancy damage multiplier?

Post by Mogdu » Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:58 am

I like my species to live a long and fulfilling life. So I put the aging rate really low, and in general, made the conditions for them very favorable for them. But there seem to be extremely nasty STDs rampaging through the population. And I didn't find a modifier to change that. Some creatures I look up take insane DOT damage from "pregnancy -50" and die an inexorable and gruesome death.
I watched a creature maw away the grass of a quarter of the map vainly trying to compensate for the pregnancy damage, until, fully exhausted, it fell asleep and accepted it's death.

I feel bad for those poor things. I ended up cranking all the modifiers to make things really easy for my creatures. Low cold damage, great food efficiency... But now what end up happening is that most of the causes of deaths are pregnancy. Meaning it's the main thing constraining evolution. I've seen a creature surviving pregnancy. So evolution maybe will overcome this obstacle. But If I could cut on years of evolution by moving a slider at world creation It would save me a lot of time.

Also the fact that "feed selected" starts a pregnancy mean that if you feed your creatures you're actually condemning them to a cruel death. Which is counter-intuitive. And breaks my heart.

I'm new to this game. So pardon me if the option is already there. I looked everywhere and couldn't find it.

magmacube_tr
Location: Now on the depths of the once-volcanic Hasan Mountain

Re: Add a pregnancy damage multiplier?

Post by magmacube_tr » Wed Oct 10, 2018 4:23 pm

They are just ones and zeros dude, dont think too much about it. This is happening because you are a bad god their lifespans are extremely long for the algorithms of the simulation to work properly. They are being pregnant for too long and when the baby borns, mother akes pregnacy damage multiplied by the very long time of pregnancy. Back then we would play with tortoises there was a thing that give
pregnant cretures energy that they lose while pregnant when they give birth. But that feature removed for ... reasons.So set the aging multiplier higher
to solve this or else [REDACTED BY ADMIN. Reason: not funny] this will go on
Your everyday cube of molten rock. Also, a baby dragon.

Quasar
Site Admin

Post by Quasar » Wed Oct 10, 2018 11:34 pm

Mogdu,

What you're seeing isn't damage: the adults are giving their stored up food energy to their offspring. Not reproducing would only cause them to waste that energy as they wander and age.

If you want to mess with it, though, try creating a synthetic genome with a high "pregnancy length" gene and using gene-splicing or artificial selection to introduce it into the population. Pregnancies require a certain amount of energy in total, so longer ones will cost less per second. If the length is long enough, being pregnant should hardly affect them at all.

magmacube,

You're taking it a bit too far there, even for a joke.

magmacube_tr
Location: Now on the depths of the once-volcanic Hasan Mountain

Post by magmacube_tr » Sun Oct 14, 2018 6:36 pm

I HAVE BEEN EMOTIONALLY WOUNDED ded
Your everyday cube of molten rock. Also, a baby dragon.