Importing Creatures

Suggest a beneficial feature, or idea's for the future.
Fireking883

Importing Creatures

Post by Fireking883 » Sat Sep 29, 2018 5:12 pm

Well, its time to crawl out of my hiding place for a bit. I have a feeling that you already have plans for this, but I want to at least make sure. The creatures you create through the 'Genetic Engineering' tool should be importable into the game without me having to edit the savefile. It's annoying to have to keep reloading the game every time I want to import my engineered creature.
Anyway, that's all I've got for now. Keep up the good work!
Neovenator wrote:The end of this game will probably be Fireking accidentally poisoning spacetime and killing us all.

Quasar
Site Admin

Re: Importing Creatures

Post by Quasar » Sun Sep 30, 2018 1:01 am

Hi Fireking,

The intent behind having 'synthetic genomes' and 'actual creatures' in your gene bank is to force you to use a process to develop them yourself, rather than just magicking them into existence. Living creatures can be exported and imported at will.

There's two ways to do this:

1. the nursery will apply artificial selection pressures to make the creatures inside it match your design. This is slow, but automated.

2. You can artificially inseminate a creature with your design and feed it until it reproduces. The offspring will have genes from your design and the biological parent, so if you repeat the process a few times, you'll get a living specimen that is very close to your design. This is manual but quite fast.

Obviously, the game needs to better communicate these possibilities in the future, since they're a major part of gameplay.

Fireking883

Re: Importing Creatures

Post by Fireking883 » Sun Sep 30, 2018 6:28 pm

Hey, thanks for the reply. Anyway, yeah I figured I was supposed to be using the nursery but I got lazy. Also (and I should have mentioned this in the bug report section), I keep getting a bug with the nursery where no rover appears to feed the animals I place in there which obviously results in a quick death. It has happened in the past couple updates and possibly from whenever the nursery was initially released.

I did finally get over my laziness, though, when my designed creatures kept dying and I realized that evolution was way better at making creatures than me. Probably should have known that from the beginning, honestly.
Neovenator wrote:The end of this game will probably be Fireking accidentally poisoning spacetime and killing us all.