Fitness and Symbiosis (Ideas for Ecosystems Simulation)

Suggest a beneficial feature, or idea's for the future.
Eremus007

Fitness and Symbiosis (Ideas for Ecosystems Simulation)

Post by Eremus007 » Fri Sep 28, 2018 9:17 pm

As in real life there are multiple different ways organisms live together.

The most common way organisms do this is called: symbiosis.
There are four main types:
Mutualism: Here two organisms work together and help/benefit eachother in order to survive. Both parties gain a benefit a positive fitness (fitness being the ability to pass on their genes). +/+
Commensalism: Here one organism gains a benefit from living close to, or from other organisms, while the second organism does neither gains a benefit nor gains a negative. The other organism is able to thrive because of the other organisms existance. +/o
Parasitism: Here, one organism lives inside or on another organism and does something that benefits itself at the cost of the other organism. The parasite gains a benefit and higher fitness, while the host loses health and thus its fitness. +/-
Parasitoidism is a form of parasitism, but parasitoids mature using the bodies of other organisms as shelter and/or food, ultimately killing the host. While the goal of other parasites is to keep the host alive as long as possible.

And then lastly, there is the predator/prey relationship: an organism eating another one. Being able to get catched fairly easily by predators will reduce fitness in the prey and vice versa. This version influences natural selection the most and is found in every ecosystem.

My suggestion is: will there be a way that the game generates an entire visual food web for the player? With color-coded lines that indicate what relationship from above two chained organisms have. This would drastically increase realism and give the player another way to nerd out about these simulated beings. That live, kill, eat, breed and die together.

P.S. I will definitely buy this game, because I like this idea very much. If I could do something to help like translating the game, or providing ideas I would gladly do so.

EDIT: I just saw that another person has suggested symbiosis. However, this could be considered a seperate list of all the main ways organisms can engage in symbiosis.

Quasar
Site Admin

Re: Fitness and Symbiosis (Ideas for Ecosystems Simulation)

Post by Quasar » Sat Sep 29, 2018 8:50 am

Eremus007 wrote:
Fri Sep 28, 2018 9:17 pm
My suggestion is: will there be a way that the game generates an entire visual food web for the player? With color-coded lines that indicate what relationship from above two chained organisms have. This would drastically increase realism and give the player another way to nerd out about these simulated beings. That live, kill, eat, breed and die together.
Yes! I have wanted to include a food web ever since I originally envisaged Species.

I haven't implemented it because for a long time the relationship between predator and prey has been tenuous. Prey will opportunistically eat the meat of predators, and predators practically survive by 'recycling' the energy of their fallen comrades until they can find prey.

But that relationship has been gradually solidifying since 0.8.0, and while I still don't think it's all the way there, I would definitely like to try my hand at a food web. I can't say when (so many things I could work on, it's hard to just pick one!), but it will be in the game at some point.

Eremus007

Re: Fitness and Symbiosis (Ideas for Ecosystems Simulation)

Post by Eremus007 » Sat Sep 29, 2018 10:34 am

Quasar wrote:
Sat Sep 29, 2018 8:50 am
Yes! I have wanted to include a food web ever since I originally envisaged Species.

I haven't implemented it because for a long time the relationship between predator and prey has been tenuous. Prey will opportunistically eat the meat of predators, and predators practically survive by 'recycling' the energy of their fallen comrades until they can find prey.

But that relationship has been gradually solidifying since 0.8.0, and while I still don't think it's all the way there, I would definitely like to try my hand at a food web. I can't say when (so many things I could work on, it's hard to just pick one!), but it will be in the game at some point.
Eremus007 wrote:
Fri Sep 28, 2018 9:17 pm
If I can be of any help in the future, please let me know :)
Glad to hear that this will eventually be in the game and fleshed out.

A way that the second point could be fixed, is by making it impossible for herbivores to digest meat and making it impossible for carnivores to digest plant material. There should be tags in their code that specify what type of gut they have and some things like:

1. Once a organism has evolved a certain digestive tract, it should take forever to revert to another one, ( because you don't see a cow becoming a wolf in a few years and vice versa).
2. Organisms that eat food that they can't digest will die, as they can't get nutrients, this way natural selection will make sure only the smart organisms that eat what they need survive and have a high fitness to pass on their beneficical genes/tags.
3. Those tags should be like a Dominant gene that will always be passed on by the parents.

These are some things that could make something like this work, but I don't know what programming language you guys use, and if something like this can be relatively easy done.