Future Multiplayer

Suggest a beneficial feature, or idea's for the future.
Guineapig004

Future Multiplayer

Post by Guineapig004 » Tue Apr 17, 2018 4:42 am

Note, this suggestion depends on the fact that a system has been created that connects players to each other's world.

This suggestion is about how to handle someone quitting. When somebody quits, the computer that is trying to quit could start deciding how many creatures move to a different landmass. The most populous species will move a certain percentage of their population to the worlds "connected to it". This will not happen if A, the computer has crashed, or B, the population cap is full on the receiving world. The species will spread the population selected equally. For example, the most populous species on the world has about, say 25% of its population spread evenly across the worlds connected to it. The first connected world has a full population, so all the species being sent there will be killed. Repeat these steps on all of the other species in the world.

Pros: This will allow all of the species to have a chance to survive. Those with a larger population will have a better chance of survival. If necessary, the receiving players can set a limit to how many creatures can move to their world on quitting.

Cons: This may take a lot of processing power. All of the creatures will spawn all at once on a map, putting the computer at risk of crashing. When quitting, you may have to wait for some time before the game is able to quit.

I have been mulling this over in my mind for some time and I think this may be a reasonable solution. This may be modified in the future by other people or me.
"And fear struck the hearts of the dodos, as they realized they were being watched..."

Therminator

Re: Future Multiplayer

Post by Therminator » Wed Apr 18, 2018 9:48 am

But does a multiplayer option even make sense for this type of game?
Beyond a way to share files of creatures or maps I mean.

Guineapig004

Post by Guineapig004 » Wed Apr 18, 2018 10:39 pm

Therminator wrote:
Wed Apr 18, 2018 9:48 am
But does a multiplayer option even make sense for this type of game?
Beyond a way to share files of creatures or maps I mean.
I read in an earlier blog post that Qu plans for there to be an option to connect your world to another player's world. This is a far off feature, which is why I called it "Future Multiplayer".
"And fear struck the hearts of the dodos, as they realized they were being watched..."

Therminator

Post by Therminator » Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:20 am

I think I missed or forgot that.

What exactly would it mean to "connect" worlds?

Guineapig004

Post by Guineapig004 » Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:28 pm

By connecting worlds, it would attach the edge of your screen to the edge of another screen. Each player could change the conditions of their world. Species from both worlds could travel across the border. With each player, you would expand the world, without putting extra strain on your computer. You could create a huge world with thousands of species! There is a downside however, if someone were to quit, what would happen to the species in the world? That is what the multiplayer will be used for. Hope I helped :D !
Last edited by Guineapig004 on Tue Apr 24, 2018 4:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

White parrot

Post by White parrot » Sun Apr 22, 2018 2:43 am

At this point, we shouldn't be surprised by anything nature does. She's like a meth addict whose drug-fueled rampages unfold in slow motion and span millions of years.
Silly Otter wrote:Welcome to the forum.
Please ignore the cultists.

ElectricDreams

Post by ElectricDreams » Sat Sep 22, 2018 12:49 pm

Guineapig004 wrote:
Tue Apr 17, 2018 4:42 am
Note, this suggestion depends on the fact that a system has been created that connects players to each other's world.

This suggestion is about how to handle someone quitting. When somebody quits, the computer that is trying to quit could start deciding how many creatures move to a different landmass. The most populous species will move a certain percentage of their population to the worlds "connected to it". This will not happen if A, the computer has crashed, or B, the population cap is full on the receiving world. The species will spread the population selected equally. For example, the most populous species on the world has about, say 25% of its population spread evenly across the worlds connected to it. The first connected world has a full population, so all the species being sent there will be killed. Repeat these steps on all of the other species in the world.

Pros: This will allow all of the species to have a chance to survive. Those with a larger population will have a better chance of survival. If necessary, the receiving players can set a limit to how many creatures can move to their world on quitting.

Cons: This may take a lot of processing power. All of the creatures will spawn all at once on a map, putting the computer at risk of crashing. When quitting, you may have to wait for some time before the game is able to quit.

I have been mulling this over in my mind for some time and I think this may be a reasonable solution. This may be modified in the future by other people or me.
Cool idea. I like it.

magmacube_tr
Location: Somewhere where those pesky federals can't find me.

Post by magmacube_tr » Sat Oct 06, 2018 9:26 pm

1)Engineer or adaptate a hyper-carnivorius predator
2)ımport it on the shared world
3)WATCH THE WORLD BURN
Your everyday cube of molten rock. Also, look, a baby dragon.

░░▄▄▄░░▄▄██████▀
░▀▀██░███████▀▀
░▄█▀░███████▀
██▄▄███████████▄▄
▀█████████████▀

But thats a swa-

Shut up! This is the closest thing I could find.

Fanniesom

Future Multiplayer

Post by Fanniesom » Wed Jul 24, 2019 3:25 pm

What if in Multiplayer worlds, you could give players access to your survival or creative world
There would be a machine, that you could manage who has access, and whether they can either build, or create, or both, or give players some land to build on.
What if there was a machine telling if there was pvp in your world or not
This would result in some cool minigames
Please
Multiplayer, Servers, and Games are the things that sucks most in Junk Jack

Guineapig004

Post by Guineapig004 » Wed Jul 24, 2019 8:51 pm

Well, uh, while your ideas would work well in a game with combat, SALRE is a life simulator first and foremost. That means that the players won't control the creatures directly, which would likely eliminate any thoughts of pvp.

Your first idea however, about picking a host machine, may work, but it would require that host machine to be running for as long as you wanted the game to. Most games in SALRE are designed to run for many hours and hopefully days.

Of course, I'm just a fan with a basic understanding of computer systems. Perhaps you're onto something.

P.S. Next time, please refrain from posting in a topic at least a couple months old unless absolutely necessary. This could cause people who want to read your message to have to read through the entire topic for it to make sense. It's usually better to make a new topic.