Skin breathing

Suggest a beneficial feature, or idea's for the future.
Post Reply
11builderboy11
Posts: 52
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2014 3:09 pm

Skin breathing

Post by 11builderboy11 » Fri Sep 16, 2016 1:01 pm

You guys remember when the ray-finned dudes drove us out of the ocean and forced us to move onto the dry land? Yeah, me neither.

Anyways, here's the suggestion: Since aquatic creatures are being added at some point in the future and would like to simulate the domination of land by early tetrapods, which, from what I understand, breathed through their skin. I'd like to see skin-breathing added to the game (and therefore also amphibians) for a smooth transition from aquatic creatures to land creatures, instead of land creatures popping up all of a sudden.

User avatar
20 characters!
Posts: 19203
Joined: Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:08 am
Location: North America, the best and worst bit of it.
Contact:

Re: Skin breathing

Post by 20 characters! » Fri Sep 16, 2016 11:24 pm

Well to be honest most amphibians also have lungs, I think that helped, note that lungless salamanders and terrestrial snails cant get very large.
youtubeuserSara3346
20 characters! wrote:*explodes into a gore shower
combi2 wrote: ... thought that all cows could produce unlimited antibodies,boy am i a retard.
combi2 wrote:you can`t thats not how humans work
Grockstar wrote:Bats it is then. They are the poor man's snake.
ImageImageImage

11builderboy11
Posts: 52
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2014 3:09 pm

Re: Skin breathing

Post by 11builderboy11 » Sat Sep 17, 2016 2:57 pm

20 characters! wrote:Well to be honest most amphibians also have lungs, I think that helped, note that lungless salamanders and terrestrial snails cant get very large.
Most amphibians need their skin to be moist in order to breath at a sufficiently high rate, though.

User avatar
20 characters!
Posts: 19203
Joined: Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:08 am
Location: North America, the best and worst bit of it.
Contact:

Re: Skin breathing

Post by 20 characters! » Sat Sep 17, 2016 5:59 pm

11builderboy11 wrote:
20 characters! wrote:Well to be honest most amphibians also have lungs, I think that helped, note that lungless salamanders and terrestrial snails cant get very large.
Most amphibians need their skin to be moist in order to breath at a sufficiently high rate, though.
Only because their skin is thin, trust me its an aquatic hold over not a terrestrial adaptation. It actually hinders land colonization, which only really got started by the reptiles.
youtubeuserSara3346
20 characters! wrote:*explodes into a gore shower
combi2 wrote: ... thought that all cows could produce unlimited antibodies,boy am i a retard.
combi2 wrote:you can`t thats not how humans work
Grockstar wrote:Bats it is then. They are the poor man's snake.
ImageImageImage

11builderboy11
Posts: 52
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2014 3:09 pm

Re: Skin breathing

Post by 11builderboy11 » Sun Sep 18, 2016 10:07 am

20 characters! wrote:
11builderboy11 wrote:
20 characters! wrote:Well to be honest most amphibians also have lungs, I think that helped, note that lungless salamanders and terrestrial snails cant get very large.
Most amphibians need their skin to be moist in order to breath at a sufficiently high rate, though.
Only because their skin is thin, trust me its an aquatic hold over not a terrestrial adaptation. It actually hinders land colonization, which only really got started by the reptiles.
My point is that fish didn't just get perfect lungs in a millisecond and conquer land in a week.

User avatar
20 characters!
Posts: 19203
Joined: Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:08 am
Location: North America, the best and worst bit of it.
Contact:

Re: Skin breathing

Post by 20 characters! » Sun Sep 18, 2016 6:41 pm

11builderboy11 wrote:
20 characters! wrote:
11builderboy11 wrote: Most amphibians need their skin to be moist in order to breath at a sufficiently high rate, though.
Only because their skin is thin, trust me its an aquatic hold over not a terrestrial adaptation. It actually hinders land colonization, which only really got started by the reptiles.
My point is that fish didn't just get perfect lungs in a millisecond and conquer land in a week.
No fish had lungs BEFORE theygot onto land, I suppose you've never heard of lungfish or swim bladders, have you?
youtubeuserSara3346
20 characters! wrote:*explodes into a gore shower
combi2 wrote: ... thought that all cows could produce unlimited antibodies,boy am i a retard.
combi2 wrote:you can`t thats not how humans work
Grockstar wrote:Bats it is then. They are the poor man's snake.
ImageImageImage

User avatar
Therminator
Posts: 220
Joined: Wed Apr 15, 2015 12:03 pm

Re: Skin breathing

Post by Therminator » Mon Sep 19, 2016 7:48 am

I think you're all missing an important detail.

Species ALRE creatures don't breathe at the moment. The simulation doesn't model air, or use of gases in metabolism. So porosity of the skin is not going to do anything if you don't first model gas exchange.

It's a bit like worrying about the role of water in their metabolism when the creatures don't drink (yet?).

When water organisms are added, lungs and gills should be added, and then breathing and including air in general can become important. So it is something to think about, sure.

11builderboy11
Posts: 52
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2014 3:09 pm

Re: Skin breathing

Post by 11builderboy11 » Tue Sep 20, 2016 6:19 pm

20 characters! wrote:
11builderboy11 wrote:
20 characters! wrote:
Only because their skin is thin, trust me its an aquatic hold over not a terrestrial adaptation. It actually hinders land colonization, which only really got started by the reptiles.
My point is that fish didn't just get perfect lungs in a millisecond and conquer land in a week.
No fish had lungs BEFORE theygot onto land, I suppose you've never heard of lungfish or swim bladders, have you?
Urgh.. YES, I HAVE.

11builderboy11
Posts: 52
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2014 3:09 pm

Re: Skin breathing

Post by 11builderboy11 » Tue Sep 20, 2016 6:21 pm

The point is: Just have something to prevent creatures from immediately evolving legs in a millisecond, by adding something.

User avatar
20 characters!
Posts: 19203
Joined: Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:08 am
Location: North America, the best and worst bit of it.
Contact:

Re: Skin breathing

Post by 20 characters! » Tue Sep 20, 2016 7:18 pm

11builderboy11 wrote:The point is: Just have something to prevent creatures from immediately evolving legs in a millisecond, by adding something.
Lots of aquatic creatures already had legs, like the ancestors of insects for example and that helped them make the transistion, so that's also a little odd for you to say. Manny of our creatures especially on dry maps develop chitin and six legs anyway so maybe insectiods with lungs would be a better model than fish or salamanders?
youtubeuserSara3346
20 characters! wrote:*explodes into a gore shower
combi2 wrote: ... thought that all cows could produce unlimited antibodies,boy am i a retard.
combi2 wrote:you can`t thats not how humans work
Grockstar wrote:Bats it is then. They are the poor man's snake.
ImageImageImage

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests