Species 0.10.0 Suggestions

Suggest a beneficial feature, or idea's for the future.
20 characters!

Re: Species 0.10.0 Suggestions

Post by 20 characters! » Thu May 05, 2016 11:21 pm

You must not have played the latest updates or read the dev blog. Their is gravity in the game. Pencil thin legs have been things of the past since 0.8.0 it's now 0.9.1 if I recall correctly.

Also the creatures are all evenly bi-laterally symmetrical.
youtubeuserSara3346
20 characters! wrote:*explodes into a gore shower
combi2 wrote: ... thought that all cows could produce unlimited antibodies,boy am i a retard.
combi2 wrote:you can`t thats not how humans work
Grockstar wrote:Bats it is then. They are the poor man's snake.
ImageImageImage

Therminator

Post by Therminator » Fri May 06, 2016 6:21 am

20 characters, I don't think you understand what marchao is saying.

He's not pointing out that there is something objectively wrong with the looks of the creatures, since looks are subjective.
He's saying that the bodyparts on some creatures sometimes seem haphazardly thrown together and out of proportion.
It's not that these body forms are bad, they evolved to suit the simulation and are therefore adaptive within this universe. The point is (I think) that either the physics could use improvement, or there could be more interdependence of bodyparts, so the results of this simulated evolution look physically plausible. Smooth forms, aerodynamics, concerted limb movement etc all make creatures look "real". Wobbly things that wouldn't work physically in the real world look more fake, even though they demonstrably work in the simulation.

Of course, over time you can learn to appreciate the unique creatures in the game, as familiarity will decrease the "ugh"-factor.

jformaldehydem

Post by jformaldehydem » Mon May 30, 2016 1:46 am

Therminator wrote:20 characters, I don't think you understand what marchao is saying.

He's not pointing out that there is something objectively wrong with the looks of the creatures, since looks are subjective.
He's saying that the bodyparts on some creatures sometimes seem haphazardly thrown together and out of proportion.
It's not that these body forms are bad, they evolved to suit the simulation and are therefore adaptive within this universe. The point is (I think) that either the physics could use improvement, or there could be more interdependence of bodyparts, so the results of this simulated evolution look physically plausible. Smooth forms, aerodynamics, concerted limb movement etc all make creatures look "real". Wobbly things that wouldn't work physically in the real world look more fake, even though they demonstrably work in the simulation.
I find it fascinating the kinds of traits that evolve to suit the physics of the game. I don't think this is a bad thing. Perhaps that could be an optional "Advanced" feature, to be able to tweak the physics of the game to see how that affects the creatures.

jformaldehydem

Post by jformaldehydem » Mon May 30, 2016 1:51 am

Oh, I just thought of a suggestion though. For the nursery, could we have an option to kill everything in it? Say I'm done messing with it and I don't want those creatures that are in there anymore, currently you have to chase them all down and hand pick them out of the nursery. There should just be a burn option. "Burn" or "Sterilise"

Bolachinha

Post by Bolachinha » Mon May 30, 2016 12:17 pm

- Option to move multiple life forms at a time, instead picking 1 at the time.

- A minimap on right corner

- Terraform options in the game, eg: increase/decrease altitude

11builderboy11

Post by 11builderboy11 » Sun Jul 31, 2016 5:24 pm

Fossil record map sounds like a cool idea to me.
What I mean is, if you hover over a "fossil" species (AKA an extinct one/ an earlier version of one), you would be able to see where that species lived. I mean, it's not very fun trying to guess where they lived, now, is it?

Bolachinha

Post by Bolachinha » Fri Aug 26, 2016 2:14 pm

Minimap at the corner

Terraforming options

The mouse cursor should give a better detail about the conditions in a specific spot (When you put in this are it gives altitude, temperature, wind velocity, mositure, atmosferic pressure, %CO2, %O2)

Adding other evolution parameters as (wind velocity, mositure, atmosferic pressure, %CO2, %O2)

Stoping the annoying part when entire populations change from species x to species y in a instant, instead of small local populations that differentiate themselves slowly (5-6 individuals). This is not scientifically accurate.

Sea/amphibian life

Different tree species (leaves, fruit) this would make some more nutritious and create different species feeding rom different parts of the same tree. There would be tree evolution.

ITR

Post by ITR » Thu Sep 15, 2016 9:58 am

I already made a thread about it, but A 64-bit version would be really nice, as it would allow using more memory on the simulations

smexyfish45

Post by smexyfish45 » Sat Oct 01, 2016 9:18 pm

marchao wrote:
20 characters! wrote:Let me correct a few notions of yours.

No one is claiming evolution is random, only that mutation and recombination is, selective pressures say for instance the need to keep your insides from freezing solid is very specific, any undid y'all whoso happens to deal with this selection pressure better than its peers will likely reproduce and outcompete them.

Also, no the evolving genetic code is not always combined in the most efficent way. "Good enough to survive" type traits are pretty common, sure the turkey isn't a terribly great flyer, but it's good enough to escape its predators.

Also note quasar is against the " instantly build puppies" thing, since he removed normal genetic engineering and importing from the game, so you likely will never see your "puppies".
Ok, whatever. It's my suggestion, so it's your word against mine. But they could sell much more if you make it less ugly.

Also turkeys have eyes, legs, and body kind of simetrical and with a beuty on it. It's not like they have a 2 meters hands that covers the entire body. Do you know what I mean?. This game lacks of limits in the reasonable mutations, because it has no gravety or physics involved. But whatever, you love your monsters.
WTF...things like that don't happen in the game anymore. All I ever get are normal animals

Grockstar

Post by Grockstar » Sun Oct 02, 2016 1:23 am

smexyfish45 wrote:
marchao wrote:
20 characters! wrote:Let me correct a few notions of yours.

No one is claiming evolution is random, only that mutation and recombination is, selective pressures say for instance the need to keep your insides from freezing solid is very specific, any undid y'all whoso happens to deal with this selection pressure better than its peers will likely reproduce and outcompete them.

Also, no the evolving genetic code is not always combined in the most efficent way. "Good enough to survive" type traits are pretty common, sure the turkey isn't a terribly great flyer, but it's good enough to escape its predators.

Also note quasar is against the " instantly build puppies" thing, since he removed normal genetic engineering and importing from the game, so you likely will never see your "puppies".
Ok, whatever. It's my suggestion, so it's your word against mine. But they could sell much more if you make it less ugly.

Also turkeys have eyes, legs, and body kind of simetrical and with a beuty on it. It's not like they have a 2 meters hands that covers the entire body. Do you know what I mean?. This game lacks of limits in the reasonable mutations, because it has no gravety or physics involved. But whatever, you love your monsters.
WTF...things like that don't happen in the game anymore. All I ever get are normal animals
I don't get normal creatures, but at the same time, they don't look like what you are describing (aka Lovecraft's rejects). Are you using a outdated version of the game, or did you change a option?
Just Monika.

Now uses she/her pronouns. Please, call me Lily!

Official Moderator on the Species Discord, Queen of the Weebs!