Species 0.10.0 Suggestions

Suggest a beneficial feature, or idea's for the future.
Quasar
Site Admin

Species 0.10.0 Suggestions

Post by Quasar » Wed Mar 09, 2016 1:05 am

This is a thread for 0.10.0 suggestions. To be specific, it's a thread for what you think the *most urgent thing* to improve from 0.9.0 is. Not so much big, long-term, 'wouldn't it be great if' features, but rather features that feel like they're missing, or that need improvement.

Just to get you thinking along the right lines: an example of a missing feature might be "swimming", since the game has an obvious water plane and underwater biomes which aren't being used. An example of an improvement might be "genetic distances" (since the nursery has problems with limbs), or it might be "animation" (if you think the walk cycles just aren't cutting it). Or "UI" or "reproduction" or... you get the idea. There's lots of possible avenues of development.

I already have a few basic idea's of where I want to go, but I'd like to gauge community opinion rather than just going with my gut.

20 characters!

Re: Species 0.10.0 Suggestions

Post by 20 characters! » Wed Mar 09, 2016 1:59 am

The ability to re-bind keys.

Touchpad support.
youtubeuserSara3346
20 characters! wrote:*explodes into a gore shower
combi2 wrote: ... thought that all cows could produce unlimited antibodies,boy am i a retard.
combi2 wrote:you can`t thats not how humans work
Grockstar wrote:Bats it is then. They are the poor man's snake.
ImageImageImage

ClassyAmoeba
Location: On a planet orbiting a star orbiting the all mighty Quasar, but at a safe distance

Post by ClassyAmoeba » Wed Mar 09, 2016 3:30 am

A UFO representing your otherworldly presence. Also, swimming stuff.
Do not provoke my wrath.
This will be my only warning

20 characters!

Post by 20 characters! » Wed Mar 09, 2016 3:47 am

I would like to see some bear paws or chicken like feet appear.
youtubeuserSara3346
combi2 wrote: ... thought that all cows could produce unlimited antibodies,boy am i a retard.
ImageImageImage

geckoguy42

Post by geckoguy42 » Wed Mar 09, 2016 12:42 pm

maybe make another metabolic "resource" besides energy, like proteins, that maybe would allow carnivores to evolve more often (or not) because animals have more proteins than plants

and swiming looks cool too of course
He is the all imortal DRAGONHORSE!

Grockstar124

Post by Grockstar124 » Thu Mar 10, 2016 4:30 am

Make it so you don't keep panning to the left when you try to use the menu at the side of the screen.

Something I remember was a thing was that for some reason, all creatures on land went extinct, but a huge population was self sustaining itself out in the deep sea. Maybe make it so that creatures that don't have limbs have more difficulty swimming if it's added, and drowning for those who try to swim past the edge of the map to the endless ocean abyss.
See how the game of life is never won, you only play
Bore him and you will find you're crumpled up and thrown away
Clinging to fate and blaming it when life won't go your way
Such a laugh, HA! Life is just a game!

↑The Game of Life↓

Natural_20

Post by Natural_20 » Thu Mar 10, 2016 5:21 am

The essentials:
-Disease, or at least cannibalism and rotten meat penalties.
-Social Behavior. Herds/packs and such.
-Reproductive strategies (k-select vs r-select)
-Multithreading.

Things that would be nice:
-More detailed biochemistry
-Swimming
-Stealth vs visibility to mates.
-Better looking tails
Last edited by Natural_20 on Fri Apr 01, 2016 4:22 am, edited 3 times in total.
Quasar wrote:Dammit, we forgot to sell the psycho drugs and now the chickens are ODing.

Alpha

Post by Alpha » Thu Mar 10, 2016 8:07 am

Grockstar124 wrote:Make it so you don't keep panning to the left when you try to use the menu at the side of the screen.

Something I remember was a thing was that for some reason, all creatures on land went extinct, but a huge population was self sustaining itself out in the deep sea. Maybe make it so that creatures that don't have limbs have more difficulty swimming if it's added, and drowning for those who try to swim past the edge of the map to the endless ocean abyss.
Panning sucks.

An upgrade to the UI to make it look nicer and more intuitive would be good.

Multithreading would also be grand.

If it was possible to make the creatures body parts merge together more, so you don't get those sharp obvious lines where say a leg connects to a body, that would also be good. Make them look more whole, rather than a collection of parts. Not sure how you'd do that however.
My Major Competitions:
Droetis
Charbiss
Petrixic

20 characters!

Post by 20 characters! » Fri Mar 11, 2016 12:29 am

Grockstar124 wrote:Make it so you don't keep panning to the left when you try to use the menu at the side of the screen.

The sea creatures were not a bug grockstar, they were evolution being efficent. And most if not all of the co-incidentally(or not) had legs. from what I was able to tell when I jump it's happening in my old world was that the creatures were huge and had slow metabolism's so they would mostly spend their energy breeding in the ocean while waiting for the shore plans to regrow and then they would all be given a mad dash to scramble back to the land I consume everything they could before swimming/stilt walking back out to sea you again .
youtubeuserSara3346
ImageImageImage

Grockstar124

Post by Grockstar124 » Fri Mar 11, 2016 2:24 am

20 characters! wrote:

The sea creatures were not a bug grockstar, they were evolution being efficent. And most if not all of the co-incidentally(or not) had legs. from what I was able to tell when I jump it's happening in my old world was that the creatures were huge and had slow metabolism's so they would mostly spend their energy breeding in the ocean while waiting for the shore plans to regrow and then they would all be given a mad dash to scramble back to the land I consume everything they could before swimming/stilt walking back out to sea you again .
No, mine never returned to shore, and looked like loafs of bread. They had weird appendages coming out of their back, which probably are legs, but they never even tried to go back to land. I had to forcibly drag some onto the land and cull enough of the sea dwellers so their self-sustainment became impossible, and they all gradually starved to death. Your example is much different then mine.

By self-sufficient, I mean they would eat the corpses of the dead to survive and had a crazy interest in other creatures. I don't even know how so many got there.

Also, their land descendants became hyper-efficient grazers, and turned the world into a desert and then rapidly starved to death. It's like they wanted to try and make their own Gotterdammerung.
See how the game of life is never won, you only play
Bore him and you will find you're crumpled up and thrown away
Clinging to fate and blaming it when life won't go your way
Such a laugh, HA! Life is just a game!

↑The Game of Life↓