0.13.0 Suggestion Box

Suggest a beneficial feature, or idea's for the future.

Where should I focus next?

Simulation Features - New mechanics and systems
20%
Simulation Polish - Make the existing mechanics and systems better
40%
Content Features - New graphical assets (body parts, trees, etc)
13%
Content Polish - Overhaul the existing assets to make them better
7%
Gameplay - Improving the gameplay loop and give players more to do
13%
UI - Improve the usability and appearance of the UI
No votes
Modding - improve the content pipeline and provide mod support
7%
Localization - Make Species available in other languages
No votes

Total votes: 15

Quasar
Site Admin

0.13.0 Suggestion Box

Post by Quasar » Wed Feb 06, 2019 2:58 am

Where do you think I should focus my efforts after the 0.12.0 polish pass?

Note: the aforementioned pass will include some balance work, to (among other things) improve carnivore odds and make flat-to-the-ground body plans less OP. 0.13.0 will come after.

- - - - - -

Roadmap below. As if 0.12.0, the purple bubble in the middle is complete and we're ready to start branching out:

johnny_quasar

Re: 0.13.0 Suggestion Box

Post by johnny_quasar » Wed Feb 06, 2019 4:29 am

I would very much like to see modding focused on for 0.13.0. If not modding, then I'd like to see gameplay being the main focal point of 0.13.0.

Guineapig004

Post by Guineapig004 » Wed Feb 06, 2019 5:11 am

I would say improving mechanics, as after awhile the eldritch horrors become samey. Though, the gameplay loop would be good as well.
"And fear struck the hearts of the dodos, as they realized they were being watched..."

docsy

Post by docsy » Fri Feb 08, 2019 2:57 am

I voted new mechanics, but I also really want modding too. It was a very tough choice.

It's kinda like, as a player it's almost the same choice, just which outlet will the new mechanics come from. I also want to mod the game at some point, if I can figure out the program used for it.

magmacube_tr
Location: Now on the depths of the once-volcanic Hasan Mountain

Post by magmacube_tr » Sat Feb 09, 2019 5:01 pm

Change the dead trees on savanna with acaia trees.
Your cube of magma with memes 8-)

Natural_20

Post by Natural_20 » Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:22 am

Social behaviors and better creature simulation; things like that facial feature rework you've talked about or more specific diets.

Also, minor UI fixes for things like not being able to remove the rover you want without removing every one you made afterwards or UI elements being pushed off screen would be nice. We can wait a while on fancier assets; just make it slightly less annoying.

I wouldn't even bother with flight right now.
Quasar wrote:Dammit, we forgot to sell the psycho drugs and now the chickens are ODing.

White parrot

Post by White parrot » Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:25 pm

I voted for Simulation Polish (as a perfectionist, I like seeing things "completed"), but my secondary votes would be for U.I. (not a spectacular upgrade, but a useful one, and constantly relied upon) and Gameplay (I just never think of it, so modifying the "game loop" of Species could completely change the way I see the game).
At this point, we shouldn't be surprised by anything nature does. She's like a meth addict whose drug-fueled rampages unfold in slow motion and span millions of years.
Silly Otter wrote:Welcome to the forum.
Please ignore the cultists.

Quasar
Site Admin

Post by Quasar » Wed Feb 13, 2019 2:12 am

Okay then, 5 votes for polish.That's good, since I'll be focusing heavily on a series of small polish updates for 0.12 for a while.The three 'targets' there are interesting and varied body plans, working carnivory, and better niche habitation.

Everything else is fairly evenly matched, so I'm probably safe to just go ahead and do what I was already planning to do.
magmacube_tr wrote:Change the dead trees on savanna with acaia trees.
Wattles are fine but what I really want to add are some big eucalyptus. Maybe some casuarinas.
Natural_20 wrote:Also, minor UI fixes for things like not being able to remove the rover you want without removing every one you made afterwards or UI elements being pushed off screen would be nice.We can wait a while on fancier assets; just make it slightly less annoying.
Any little, easy-to-fix annoyances like those you can come up with, let me know the specifics and I'll add them to my 0.12 polish list. What resolution are you seeing items pushed off the screen on?
White parrot wrote:...and Gameplay(I just never think of it, so modifying the "game loop" of Species could completely change the way I see the game).
I have some serious brainthoughts on that subject that I've been wanting to discuss in detail for a while. 0.13 won't be a gameplay update, but 0.14 may very well be.

Natural_20

Post by Natural_20 » Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:56 am

Quasar wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 2:12 am
Natural_20 wrote:Also, minor UI fixes for things like not being able to remove the rover you want without removing every one you made afterwards or UI elements being pushed off screen would be nice.We can wait a while on fancier assets; just make it slightly less annoying.
Any little, easy-to-fix annoyances like those you can come up with, let me know the specifics and I'll add them to my 0.12 polish list. What resolution are you seeing items pushed off the screen on?
What I'm talking about is mainly the attribute lists that the rovers and gene editors use. For example, if you have enough rovers active, you can't select things lower down the list on some of them.
Quasar wrote:Dammit, we forgot to sell the psycho drugs and now the chickens are ODing.