Adaptation Island

Speculative evolution and forum games
Ewery1

Adaptation Island

Post by Ewery1 » Sat Jan 24, 2015 7:30 pm

Hello everyone, I’m trying a new game that’s similar to Alienbird’s radiation island game. I had a poll, and this game is based off a compromise of the results.

This game takes place on an island with strange and unique environments. Every single turn the environment layout changes a little bit, I’m going to have a picture that changes every turn a little bit. Every other round there will be an event. There are no teams, and in between each turn there is a time span of 15 years. This means that all adaptations have to be very small, and the point we are going for here is realism in creature adaptation to a strange environment. Each turn you can vote for a total of two small adaptations. A total of eight people will be accepted. If someone doesn't post for two turns in a row, their creature can be claimed by someone else. If you want to move environments, you must have the necessary adaptations to get there, and tell me, it doesn't count as an adaptation but it essential you do this.
Alienbird wrote:1. How major an alteration is this to the animals anatomy and physiology? Bigger scales: yes, better camouflage: yes, wings capable of flight: hell no, unless you already have all the pre-adaptions that will make that a small step.
2. Are the selection pressures in place for this to be a beneficial adaptation? If you live on a sandy beach, you are not going to evolve tiny, pointy feet that will stick in the sand and hinder movement.
3. If it is a huge adaptation: is there a small step that can be taken in that general direction that is in line with rule 2? Say you want your creature to evolve feathers from scales. Instead of instant feathers, you will get scales elongated into spines. This is thought to have been the first small step in the evolution of feathers.
The starting creature is going to be an Eastern Newt, Notophthalmus Viridescens. These creatures started out as passengers in a ship’s aquarium, and when the ship crashed the aquarium spilled and let them free onto the beach. The aquatic adults die pretty quickly, but they happen to have a few red efts that roam freely around the island. They find the sulfuric swamp during the winter and quickly settle there. Then, they discover its horrors during the summer (read more on this below in the environments section).

Oh yah, also I've decided that wikipedia lies, and the lifespan of these things is one or two years, lavrae for a month, red eft for three months, and adult for the rest.

Players: TheCreator, joshthehawk, Yasahiro, DehEvil, Grockstar124, ShadowKnightRC, smexyfish45, 20 characters!, Natural 20,

Environments:
Open Ocean/Lake/River (Light Blue): The normal open ocean.

Reef (Dark Blue): The island is surrounded in a typical salt-water large reef with deadly predators.

Rocky Beach (Grey): The shore of the island is completely covered in a sharp, rocky beach that harbors a bit of life.

Sulfuric Swamp (Teal): A vibrant still freshwater swamp like place during the winter with a lot of bugs feeding on nutrients, and consequently birds, fish, and larger predators, then during the summer some sulfur deposits get opened up and the water gets very acidic, and sometimes even catches on fire. Basically all of the life except the plants (which are highly adapted) leave for the summer. Algae blooms during the summer, and kills anything that sticks around for the ride.

Volcano Plains (Black): Some ash plains that come from a volcano that completely exploded. They have occasional lava flues just start leaking, and there is surprisingly quite a bit of water that likes to geyser sometimes. This is currently uninhabited.

Hidden Valley (Bright Green): A very steep valley surrounded by the Deathly Desert. It is covered in huge trees all very tightly packed together. At the bottom of the valley there is stagnant pond like thing that is a breeding ground for insects. Imagine the Amazon Rainforest and the Grand Canyon combined, and then shrunken down in length and width, and you’d get this valley, teeming with life.

Deathly Desert (Red): A very very hot desert that is down wind from the Stormy Mountains, which blows the heat from the Volcano Plains right over them. Also it has a water sink in the Hidden Valley, which takes all of its water, leaving it a barren and hot wasteland.

Stormy Mountains (Purple): A quite high mountain range with very sharp peaks and ridiculous spires that cause high winds and large rains to form. They have a few resilient species camped out on their sides.

Petrified Forest (Brown): Isolated on one mini-island, this once was a forest with giant trees that got itself petrified. The plant life is really only in the forms of vines, ferns, and grasses with a lot of life. This is a pretty much perfect environment, but it’s hard to get to, being across the dangerous reef.

Ice Plains (White): Due to the Stormy Mountains right next to them, they are at a high altitude and are very very cold, almost always covered in snow. During the winter there are slightly okay, but they are still hard to get to.

Mud Plains (Bright Yellow): When the tide is down, this low laying place is covered in dry sand, and when the tide is up, it is completely under saltwater.

Cliff face (Beige): A normal cliff face.

Temperamental Forest (Dark Green): This forest is on the edge of Ice Plains, and so it gets very cold during the winter, but then when summer rolls around, it gets very hot as a result of a low pass in the Stormy Mountains that causes the heat from the desert to gush out over the forest. This is home to a lot of hibernating life, and is mostly desolate during the winter.

Plains (Green): These are pretty much normal plains, with predators and prey everywhere. They get pretty stormy often, but other than that there’s nothing special about them.

Volcano (Black/Grey Dotted): The actual volcano that spewed out the Volcano Plains.

Death Forest (Pink): A forest with strange trees and deadly fungi that lets no sunlight touch the ground. The canopy is vibrant with life, but in the bottom, dangers luck.

Deciduous Forest (Green/Dark Green Dotted): A forest similar to the Temperamental Forest, but much less, well, temperamental. It is full of life, it looks like it was ripped out of upstate New York.

Rock Range (Beige/Grey Dotted): This area is rock and sand hills with sharp cliffs and pools of water. They have a lot of bushes and small plants, and a lot of birds make their nests here.

Round 0 Map:
Forum Island Game.png
Forum Island Game.png (6.32 KiB) Viewed 4981 times
Turns:
Round 1
Round 2 - Insects Become Resistant to Acid
Round 3
Round 4 - ATTACK OF THE ALBATROSSES!
Round 5 - Cladogram-not-Cladogram - Common Names
Round 6 - VOLCANO!
Round 7
Round 8 - Water Levels Rising
Round 9
Round 10 - Water Levels Falling and Cooling Temperature - Cladogram-not-Cladogram - Common Names
Round 11
Round 12 - Water Levels Return
Round 13
Round 14 - Hurricane and Tsunami, EXTINCTION
Last edited by Ewery1 on Sun Mar 15, 2015 1:48 am, edited 20 times in total.
- Your local Red Panda with way too much power
Yasahiro wrote:Then improve the amphibity.... It's a word now, I made it.
Join my new classic competition game!

They're all grown up!
Image Image Image

Grockstar124

Re: Adaptation Island

Post by Grockstar124 » Sat Jan 24, 2015 7:43 pm

First :D
Form cocoons like lungfish to survive the summer. Is this too much?
Also, 15 years may be too short, as even basic changes take many generations to apply, and 15 years is one generation for these things.
Last edited by Grockstar124 on Sat Jan 24, 2015 7:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
See how the game of life is never won, you only play
Bore him and you will find you're crumpled up and thrown away
Clinging to fate and blaming it when life won't go your way
Such a laugh, HA! Life is just a game!

↑The Game of Life↓

Ewery1

Post by Ewery1 » Sat Jan 24, 2015 7:48 pm

Grockstar124 wrote:First :D
Form cocoons like lungfish to survive the summer.
Alright, so I'm afraid this isn't possible :P First thing's first, you can make two votes, second of all, I can't find anything on lungfish cocoons, and also I'm guessing you need some sort of gland to produce this, and you need to start, this game has small evolutions to make a bigger end product, no giant leaps and bounds like that. Read the whole feather thing in the quote. You can make two evolutions to the same thing in one round though, which can get you much further along.

Oh yah, also I've decided that wikipedia lies, and the lifespan of these things is one or two years, lavrae for a month, red eft for three months, and adult for the rest.
Last edited by Ewery1 on Sat Jan 24, 2015 8:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

They're all grown up!
Image Image Image

Natural_20

Post by Natural_20 » Sat Jan 24, 2015 8:09 pm

Become terrestrial as adults. The red eft has what it needs to survive on land, so I can just halt the development of aquatic traits. Neoteny!
Evolve tougher skin.
Last edited by Natural_20 on Sat Jan 24, 2015 8:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Quasar wrote:Dammit, we forgot to sell the psycho drugs and now the chickens are ODing.

Grockstar124

Post by Grockstar124 » Sat Jan 24, 2015 8:15 pm

Yeah, I figured that. Um... develop scales so I can move to the Rocky beach during summer.

↑The Game of Life↓

ShadowKnightRC

Post by ShadowKnightRC » Sat Jan 24, 2015 8:15 pm

Neoteny of red eft stage and develop reproductive organs earlier
Last edited by ShadowKnightRC on Sat Jan 24, 2015 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

joshthehawk

Post by joshthehawk » Sat Jan 24, 2015 8:16 pm

I want to evolve my skin to become better at holding in water.
If I'm making a comment with this type of text I'm talking as a moderator.
Anonymous wrote:And those who were seen dancing
where thought to be insane
by those who could not hear the music.

smexyfish45

Post by smexyfish45 » Sat Jan 24, 2015 8:24 pm

wider shovel shaped head.

Ewery1

Post by Ewery1 » Sat Jan 24, 2015 8:36 pm

Everyone remember, you get two votes.

They're all grown up!
Image Image Image

Grockstar124

Post by Grockstar124 » Sat Jan 24, 2015 8:44 pm

Oh! Okay.
Become like the axtotl and not mature when there is high amounts of sulfur in the water. Also, thicker skin. Can I do this?

↑The Game of Life↓