Competition - Charbiss

Speculative evolution and forum games
Yasahiro

Re: Competition - Charbiss

Post by Yasahiro » Fri Jan 16, 2015 12:07 pm

Vikingking wrote:Whelp, guess I'm with Kopout in team Fremulon then.

Kinetosynthesis? If we're going to be generating energy through movement then let's crank that baby up; Tweak our shape for more movement in the water spewed from the vents, like a simple whirligig.
Currently thermosynthesis is used

As a side note... All this radiation, us already being made for thermosynthesis and large amount of uranium on the planet... I think Alpha is trying to tell us something... Something about N power... <licks his lips>

Also, me and Silly will not probably communicate much, so we might ask for opposite traits or at least have different goals. It will make our creature resemble the ones in original competition, competition 2 and competition 2.5 ... At least in idea
Silly Otter wrote: At least our trees aren't fruit-whores!
DRAGONS!
ImageImageImage

Alpha

Post by Alpha » Sun Jan 18, 2015 2:32 am

Silly otter needs to vote
My Major Competitions:
Droetis
Charbiss
Petrixic

Ewery1

Post by Ewery1 » Sun Jan 18, 2015 2:35 am

Alpha wrote:Silly otter needs to vote
He's kinda on a road trip, and probably won't show up, but I guess that explains the wait.
- Your local Red Panda with way too much power
Yasahiro wrote:Then improve the amphibity.... It's a word now, I made it.
Join my new classic competition game!

They're all grown up!
Image Image Image

Yasahiro

Post by Yasahiro » Sun Jan 18, 2015 2:35 am

If he doesn't vote soon, I will vote for him.

Evolve Roots
DRAGONS!
ImageImageImage

Ewery1

Post by Ewery1 » Sun Jan 18, 2015 2:37 am

Alpha, is it possible to get through the caves and to the surface? If so, what's the surface like?

They're all grown up!
Image Image Image

Yasahiro

Post by Yasahiro » Sun Jan 18, 2015 2:39 am

Ewery1 wrote:Alpha, is it possible to get through the caves and to the surface? If so, what's the surface like?
Full of radiation, a barren wasteland. It said so in first post.

Do not worry... It will be taken over.
DRAGONS!
ImageImageImage

Ewery1

Post by Ewery1 » Sun Jan 18, 2015 2:39 am

Yasahiro wrote:
Ewery1 wrote:Alpha, is it possible to get through the caves and to the surface? If so, what's the surface like?

Oh woopsies, I guess I missed that.

They're all grown up!
Image Image Image

20 characters!

Post by 20 characters! » Sun Jan 18, 2015 3:01 am

Yasahiro wrote:

Full of radiation, a barren wasteland? I think I think, we could easily become radio troughs and not have to worry about eating ever again. Well actually I was thinking more about developing an organism that can generate heat using unstable isotopes keep its biochemistry.

And of course if we get to the surface, we should be able to perform photosynthesis.

Life will find a way.
youtubeuserSara3346
20 characters! wrote:*explodes into a gore shower
combi2 wrote: ... thought that all cows could produce unlimited antibodies,boy am i a retard.
combi2 wrote:you can`t thats not how humans work
Grockstar wrote:Bats it is then. They are the poor man's snake.
ImageImageImage

Yasahiro

Post by Yasahiro » Sun Jan 18, 2015 3:24 am

Oh, Silly allowed me to take over his voting until he gets back from road trip.
DRAGONS!
ImageImageImage

Alpha

Post by Alpha » Sun Jan 18, 2015 7:03 am

TURN 1

Environment Description

Charbiss is the second planet that orbits around the star Firiope.The surface of planet Charbiss is a barren wasteland, exposed to high amounts of radiation due to having a extremely thin atmosphere. Almost all of Charbiss' Oxygen and Hydrogen is used to form the water within its caverns.
Deep underneath the surface however, an enormous network of interconnecting caverns exist. These caverns vary from the size of a large city, to tiny little tunnels that only a mole could fit through. The caverns are almost entirely filled with water. The water has a gradient in temperature, being around 80C at the bottom and 30C at the top due to the high amount of geothermal vents that scatter the underwater caverns floor. Charbiss has currents that are caused by convection, the hot water rises to the top, then as it cools is forced back down again to start the cycle again.

Teams
Team I Am Out Of Ideas (IAOOI) (Tiberius, joshthehawk)
Team Metamorphic Magic (Ewery1, 20characters!)
Team Three Star (Yasahiro, Silly otter)
Team Fremulon (kopout, Vikingking)

SPECIES FOR TEAM “IAOOI”
Become predatory: base 6 +2 (50% support) = 8, capped to 6.
Nervous system: base 3 +2 (50% support) = 5.

Carnivorous Lytrope (Axeriscapus Prima)

Changes:
The lytropes now 'hunt' for other organisms using their new nervous system. This nervous system lets them feel heat and pressure on their skin, so they know when they have bumped into other organisms. Lytropes secrete enzymes onto the organism, and then absorb the nutrients created by digesting the organism through their skin.
Lytropes spend the first part of their life growing around the vent using Thermosynthesis to produce energy. Once big enough they detach themselves from the substrate and take on a more predatory lifestyle.
Appearance:
Small multicellular carbon-based life forms that develop into small ovals around the vents. Each organism is around 3 - 4mm.
Notable Features:
Reproduces using singe-celled spores that float through the caverns and find new vents to grow around.
Has two main life-stages, where the juveniles Thermosynthesize, and the adults hunt for other organisms.
Has a nervous system.
Diet:
Juveniles are producers, (Thermosynthesis). Uses heat to produce energy. The adults are Carnivores. Eats other organisms to produce energy.
Habitat:
The geothermal depths of the caverns.
Conservation Status:
VU

SPECIES FOR TEAM “METAMORPHIC MAGIC”
Become larger like a worm: base 3 +2 (50% support) = 5.
A mouth: base 2 +2 (50% support) = 4.

Heat Wirth (Withasiae Edullis)

Changes:
Wirths are now much longer than their ancestors, and are much better at absorbing heat because of their extra body area. Wirths have also gained a small organ that is used to crush rocks to gather their minerals. These minerals are used to build the Wirths body and is the reason why they have grown to such a large size so quickly. This 'mouth' is located at the end of the Wirth, the part of it that is buried in the substrate. Over time small hollows form around the base of the Wirth. These are the areas that have been eaten away by its mouth. The other end is the part that releases the spores to create more Wirths.
Appearance:
Small multicellular carbon-based life forms that resemble worms and grow around the geothermal vents. Each worm is around 1cm long.
Notable Features:
Reproduces using singe-celled spores that float through the caverns and find new vents to grow around.
Resembles a worm.
Has an organ that crushes rocks to get at their minerals.
Diet:
Producer (Thermosynthesis). Uses heat to produce energy.
Habitat:
Conservation Status:
LC

SPECIES FOR TEAM “THREE STAR”
Lithotrophy: base 5 +2 (50% support) = 7, capped to 6.
Roots: base 4 +2 (50% support) = 6.

Sulfuric Lichen (Matridrias Sulfura)

Changes:
This Lichen is the most similar (in terms of appearence) to its ancestors. The main difference is it's change in diet from Thermosynthesis to Chemolithotrophy. It grows on deposits of Sulfur, using roots it's to absorb and anchor itself in the mineral. The Lichen undergoes a complex chemical reaction to create energy from Sulfur and water.
Appearance:
Small multicellular carbon-based life forms that grow into 'flakes' around deposits of Sulfur. Each flake is around 3 - 5mm.
Notable Features:
Has a primitive form of respiration.
Diet:
Producer (Chemolithotrophy). Uses Sulfur and Water to produce energy. The water is split using a chemical reaction to produce oxygen and hydrogen. The oxygen and Sulfur combines to make Sulfur Dioxide, which also creates energy in the process. The Lichen releases Hydrogen and Sulfur Dioxide as a waste product.
Habitat:
Conservation Status:
LC

SPECIES FOR TEAM “FREMULON”
Kinetosynthesis: base 4 +2 (50% support) = 6.
More movement in water spewed from the vent (like a whirligig): base 5 +2 (50% support) = 7, capped to 6.

Spinning Murq (Murcitias Spannus)

Changes:
The Murqs have adapted to get energy from Kinetosynthesis. Originally they grew on the cavern walls, gaining energy from the vertical currents that swept past them. As time went on, however they slowly adapted into a shape that maximised their ability to Kinetosynthesize, eventually not even needing something to grow on.
They now resemble tiny corkscrews, that spin around in the thermal currents.
Appearance:
Small multicellular carbon-based life forms that form into the shape of corkscrews. Each corkscrew is around 3 - 4mm.
Notable Features:
Reproduces using singe-celled spores that find thermal currents and slowly grow into the shape of a corkscrew.
Diet:
Producer (Kinetosynthesis). Uses the kinetic energy of the currents to produce energy for itself.
Habitat:
The geothermal currents of the caverns.
Conservation Status:
LC

OVERVIEW
Lytropes have become the first (semi) carnivore of the caverns. Lytropes are still quite vulnerable, as they now rely on other organisms for energy and don't have a very efficient way of hunting yet. They just have to hope that they accidentally bump into something edible. Wirths are doing quite well, being the most efficient at Thermosynthesis out of all the organisms. The Lichen now feed off Sulfur deposits, and have a primitive form of respiration to produce energy. However the hydrogen is building up at the top of the caverns, since it has nowhere else to go. Murqs are now one of the most prosperous species in the caverns, having no competition, almost no predation (apart from the occasional unlucky Murq that bumps into a Lytrope) and a new and efficient way to produce energy. Life is quickly taking hold of the caverns!
My Major Competitions:
Droetis
Charbiss
Petrixic