Definitely Not Earth’s Twin Two

Speculative evolution and forum games
DehEvil
Location: New Mombasa, fighting off an endless horde of aliens.

Re: Definitely Not Earth’s Twin Two

Post by DehEvil » Wed Sep 23, 2020 12:45 pm

Team Any:

Vote: Evolve eyes to watch for predators.

Sex Vote: Evolve a beak for eating the slimes

I really didn't want to have to evolve eyes... especially if the sun might get blocked out next turn...
Might change my mind on my votes...
naturegirl1999 wrote:
Sat Sep 12, 2020 11:16 pm
Hey Nature, you there? I'd recommend voting for a defense mechanism like venomous tentacles or something.

Guineapig004

Post by Guineapig004 » Fri Sep 25, 2020 2:02 am

Team ABNTT:
Develop organelles in our cells to store water, for individuals suspended separated from the ocean by the shear mass of other cells.

The ultimate goal for me is to work towards having some sort of land presence; We've blotted out the sun quicker than I thought.
"And fear struck the hearts of the dodos, as they realized they were being watched..."

Tiberius

Post by Tiberius » Fri Sep 25, 2020 7:21 pm

ABNTT
Long White Filter Tendrils
Water Storage Organelles

Octotank
Omatophores for Eye Tentacles
Bladed Flanges
Sex Vote: Ocmale Egg spears

Any
Eye
Sexvote Beak

I'm probably not going to do a turn this week. Do note Magma won't be on ABNTT, and Nature still hasn't voted.

BakedToast

Post by BakedToast » Sat Sep 26, 2020 5:39 am

Tiberius wrote:
Fri Sep 25, 2020 7:21 pm
Do note Magma won't be on ABNTT, and Nature still hasn't voted.
If players on a team don't vote, that simply means that the other [non-sex] votes gain an extra percentage, right?
"Greater than I, none. Less than I, none. For I am Chayrus. All shall be one, as I am."

magmacube_tr
Location: Somewhere where those pesky federals can't find me.

Post by magmacube_tr » Sat Sep 26, 2020 1:23 pm

Tiberius wrote:
I will be around until the game finishes. Only then I will go.
Your everyday cube of molten rock. Also, look, a baby dragon.

░░▄▄▄░░▄▄██████▀
░▀▀██░███████▀▀
░▄█▀░███████▀
██▄▄███████████▄▄
▀█████████████▀

But thats a swa-

Shut up! This is the closest thing I could find.

Tiberius

Post by Tiberius » Sun Sep 27, 2020 7:42 am

BakedToast wrote:
Sat Sep 26, 2020 5:39 am
Tiberius wrote:
If players on a team don't vote, that simply means that the other [non-sex] votes gain an extra percentage, right?
Yepp

Tiberius

Post by Tiberius » Fri Oct 02, 2020 9:20 pm

I may or may not be able to do a turn this weekend, I'm drowning in school work and studying at the minute

Tiberius

Post by Tiberius » Mon Oct 05, 2020 1:34 am

Turn Six
Post-Event:Jawed Eel N/A
Next turn I’m going to have to rewrite descriptions from scratch, which is going to be a massive pain, so the next update might end up on the Monday or something.

Team Octotank
Votes-
Omatophores for Eye tentacles, 6+2+1>6
Bladed Flanges, 5+2+1>6
Sex Vote: Ocmale Egg Spears, 1+3+1=5

Changes:
Killer Tube- Inpolypus Armatavagus
The Killer Tube has undergone a dramatic amount of change in the time that passed. First and foremost, a tentacle on both ends of the tube have split into a tentacle and a true ommatophore, giving it three tentacles and one ommatophore on either side of the tube. Although this has been associated with the loss of eyespots on its tentacles it is now capable of proper sight. This means it can see Eels approaching from either end of the tube. These eyes see in infrared, as light in the optical spectrum isn’t present in the sea due to the slime. The remaining tentacles have replaced the eyespots with sharp ceratin flanges along the ends of their tentacles. Because these sharp ridges tend to dull over time they are replaced over time. New ridges grow lower on the end of the tentacle and slowly move down before eventually falling off. This has given them a weapon to use against the Jawed Eel.
The Organism’s eggs have evolved into a spear shape, and the Ocmales are now capable of ejecting the eggs at high speeds by creating a water jet to propel the eggs. This originall evolved to save the eggs from predators in the Ocmale’s death throws, but alongside the change in shape the eggs have evolved a very hard exterior and barbs that only grow weak enough to break moments before hatching when a chemical change takes place.. The young Tube can quickly slash their way out and into the Eel carrying them resulting in the quick death of the Eel. The Tube’s can’t always make their way out of the Eel as they lack teeth or anything relating to meat consumption, but it does kill the eel and sometimes the Tube can make it out alive, but in these cases its easy prey until it finds a herd.

Event Effects
The Killer Tube can now adequately defend itself, and in some respects take advantage of the Jawed Eel, resulting in its population bouncing back. Jawed Eels still hunt lone Tubes and stragglers as they work to avoid Ocmales, but it is now sustainable predation.

Description: A Tube shaped organism that attaches to the sea floor and faces into the current to catch and eat random organic debris from dead algae and the like. Its body is supported by a hydrostatic skeleton that acts as a primitive open circulatory system. It has three tentacles on either end it uses to grab onto the ground and swim. These tentacles have bladed ridges that grow from the ends and move down before falling off as they dull. They have one ommatophore on either side. They have an incredibly sensitive touch and can discern food from non food by its texture. It has a central nervous system and basic intelligence. It has a trisexual reproductive system, that makes use of females to donate eggs, males with distinctive ridges to fertilise them and ocmales to carry the eggs to birth. They form herds, made of multiple females and males centered around an ocmale. The Ocmales can use their eggs as projectiles in emergencies. The eggs are spear-like, tough and barbed with a shell that only weakens moments before hatching so the eggs tend to survive the ejection and kill the host, but die not long after. It has a virus appendix that holds virus bacteriophages. The viruses act reminiscent of an immune system. This organ is also capable of randomly modifying the viruses to defeat new diseases.
   

Team Any
Votes-
Eye, Auto 6
Sex Vote:Beak , 3+3+1=7

Changes:

Speckled Squid Fish- Signipolypus Maculosus
The Speckled Squid Fish has evolved simple eye spots across its body that are particularly tuned to noticing the distinctive shape of the Jawed Eel. When it does see it one, it immediately bolts and can generally move fast enough to escape, although it can run into obstacles or the like and fail to escape.
More Dramatically its mouth has evolved a hard ceratin beak that has allowed it to cut though the dense network of the Slime allowing them to eat with impunity. This massive influx of energy has resulted in a much faster reproduction and the organism lays many more eggs than before.

Event Effects
The Squid Fish is still being heavily predated by the Jawed Eel, but with the plethora of food available to them, they can generally reproduce fast enough for it to not matter.

Description: A fish-like organism with a small flagella-like tail it uses like a primitive rudder. Its mouth is surrounded by tentacles it uses to grab food and build nests. These tentacles can secrete a sticky glue used to build nests and anchor eggs. Using its chemoreceptors, it spits out non food debris. Its digestive system works as a makeshift circulatory system delivering nutrients throughout the organism. It has a central nervous system giving it a basic intelligence. It has hard exoskeleton covering its main body, which has a hydrodynamic shape. It is covered in Eyespots keyed to the Jawed Eel. It has a hard beak it uses to tear apart and eat Slime.

  

Team ABNTT
Votes-
Long White Filter Tendrils, 4+2=6
Water Storage Organelles, 3+2=5

Changes:

Stringy Coast Slime Slime- Mobilialga Aquaradix
The Stringy Coast Slime has begun to grow white tendrils that interweave with the overall mass and drop down into the water. These tendrils function both as roots, drawing various nutrients from the water for more efficient growth, and as a circulatory system that draws nutrients up and across the greater whole.
The basic cellular structure of the Slime has also changed to include a thicker cell wall and an organelle to prevent desiccation and allow the slime to grow up onto land. At the moment it can only cover the coastal areas around the sea because it can’t draw the necessary nutrition from land and relies upon the roots to draw it nutrients, but it has still increased its energy yield.
The Slime no longer threatens to totally block out the sun as the Squidfish tear holes in the Slime Mat, but they aren’t enough of them due to Eel predation to break apart the slime, only opening up temporary holes, allowing other life to flourish for a time.
As a side note, the Slime is basically one giant organism filled with competing sub structures. Evolution happens when one of the sub colonies dramatically out competes the others and replaces them.
Event Effects
N/A

Description: A green slimy mass that can be found across the surface of the Munr Sea. They grow in vast matted colonies. These Mats are dense and block out sunlight below. It is covered in small blackspots that it uses to detect light and move towards brighter areas. They photosynthesise for energy. They grow and divide rapidly. It is effectively one giant organism. It has white tendrils that draw nutrients from the water and transport them around the slime. It has thick cell walls and water storage organelles that allow it to grow on the coast.

magmacube_tr
Location: Somewhere where those pesky federals can't find me.

Post by magmacube_tr » Mon Oct 05, 2020 3:39 pm

Team ABNTT

Release deadly neurotoxin at all times, killing everything else. Modify the tendrils of the beach dwelling slimes into proper roots.
Your everyday cube of molten rock. Also, look, a baby dragon.

░░▄▄▄░░▄▄██████▀
░▀▀██░███████▀▀
░▄█▀░███████▀
██▄▄███████████▄▄
▀█████████████▀

But thats a swa-

Shut up! This is the closest thing I could find.

BakedToast

Post by BakedToast » Mon Oct 05, 2020 4:13 pm

Team Octotank.

Discussion
We need a better food source. Drifting debris might become more scarce as the Slime mats block out the sun, killing more and more life on the ocean floor. By extension, they could end up extincting us. Either we branch into herbivory like the other team, or we become a predator in our own right, competing with the Jawed Eels. There are pros and cons to both scenarios.
1. Herbivory.
An obvious pro here would be the vast quantities of food sources available to us. Essentially we would be preying on a species with such a vast population that our feeding wouldn't even matter. As an added advantage, Ocmales could launch spear-eggs right into the slime mats, allowing our young to consume with impunity until adulthood, perhaps even living and staying in the midst of the slime mats their whole life. We would be competing with the Speckled Squid Fish, but again, there's also a lot of Slime Mat to go around.
A potential con would be that we are filling a pre-existing niche that is already filled by the Speckled Squid Fish. This is not so much a biological con as it may be an OOC con, since we may end up with very similar Slime-Eating creatures trying to out-compete each other.

2. Carnivory.
An obvious pro here is also that our food source will be abundant; the Speckled Squid Fish, which will most likely be our predominant prey, have ample Slime Mat to go around, and reproduce quite quickly. They could easily become a staple for the Killer Tube. Furthermore, Ocmale spear-eggs could be used as weapons to aid in the killing of Speckled Squid Fish, providing food for both the young and nearby adults. Our main competition will be the Jawed Eels, but we already have an advantage over them, such that we might even be able to start preying on them as well.
The only con I can see here is that if the Slime Mats evolve some kind of defense, that the Speckled Squid Fish population may end up declining and cause us a bit of trouble. Also, a herbivorous species can more easily branch out into omnivory, due to generally longer digestive tracts and multiple pseudo-stomachs; carnivores often struggle to evolve the same, since their tract is much more streamlined and efficient already.
"Greater than I, none. Less than I, none. For I am Chayrus. All shall be one, as I am."