Definitely Not Earth’s Twin Two

Speculative evolution and forum games
Tiberius

Post by Tiberius » Sun Jul 19, 2020 2:21 am

I was feeling nostalgic for my first game on the forum back in the ancient times of 2014, when the world wasn’t on fire. I did a ton of things wrong with that game, but it was still arguably the best one I ran. Part of that was the community at the time, but part of it was just persistence. I stuck with the game, and its successor for a long time. Anyways, the plan here is to run that game again, albeit revised, and strive for the same persistence that made it great.

Evolution games have branched out over the years, and the forum hasn’t really seen many of them as of late, so I’ll restate the rules for the classic version of the game.
There are a maximum of three teams, each member of each team picks a vote for something they want to evolve. For every twenty percent of your team voting for something it gets a +1. So for example if you have one person voting for one thing it gets a +5, while if there three people, two of which are voting for A and one for B then A gets a +3 and B gets a +1. These votes are capped to 6.

Once your organism evolves sexual reproduction you unlock a bonus vote for your team. This vote gets a +3 and can go over 6, but as they go over 6 they become increasingly exaggerated and may cause problems.

I roll a six sided die for each evolution and add the bonus and compare it to the following chart:
1: Inverse of what you wanted, not necessarily bad
2: Bad, potentially inverse mutation
3: Ineffectual, Minor Mutation
4: Minor form of the evolution
5: Desired Mutation
6: Very useful Mutation that goes above and beyond
(Regular Vote Cap)
7: Good, Exaggerated Mutation
8: Exaggerated mutation that may cause problems
9: Very Exaggerated Mutation

The planet we’ll be playing on is denser than earth, resulting in a gravity of ~1.5g at the surface, and also has a much greater abundance of Argon and Neon, resulting in an atmospheric pressure of ~4atm. In the short term this doesn't matter. In the long term the higher force of drag and gravity may impede larger organisms and projectiles, but will make flight a much easier prospect.

All teams will start with the same organism, that has come about just after an event analogous to the Great Oxygenation. The only other major species in their environment is a simple algae-analog.

Munr Growth -Munr Parvos

Description: A barely multicellular cluster of cells that consumes dead algae as it drifts to the Water’s Floor. It can move, but does so in an extremely inefficient manner, and it lacks any sensory organs, or any organs at all really.

I was feeling nostalgic for my first game on the forum back in the ancient times of 2014, when the world wasn’t on fire. I did a ton of things wrong with that game, but it was still arguably the best one I ran. Part of that was the community at the time, but part of it was just persistence. I stuck with the game, and its successor for a long time. Anyways, the plan here is to run that game again, albeit revised, and strive for the same persistence that made it great.

Evolution games have branched out over the years, and the forum hasn’t really seen many of them as of late, so I’ll restate the rules for the classic version of the game.
There are a maximum of three teams, each member of each team picks a vote for something they want to evolve. For every twenty percent of your team voting for something it gets a +1. So for example if you have one person voting for one thing it gets a +5, while if there three people, two of which are voting for A and one for B then A gets a +3 and B gets a +1. These votes are capped to 6.

Once your organism evolves sexual reproduction you unlock a bonus vote for your team. This vote gets a +3 and can go over 6, but as they go over 6 they become increasingly exaggerated and may cause problems.

I roll a six sided die for each evolution and add the bonus and compare it to the following chart:
1: Inverse of what you wanted, not necessarily bad
2: Bad, potentially inverse mutation
3: Ineffectual, Minor Mutation
4: Minor form of the evolution
5: Desired Mutation
6: Very useful Mutation that goes above and beyond
(Regular Vote Cap)
7: Good, Exaggerated Mutation
8: Exaggerated mutation that may cause problems
9: Very Exaggerated Mutation

The planet we’ll be playing on is denser than earth, resulting in a gravity of ~1.5g at the surface, and also has a much greater abundance of Argon and Neon, resulting in an atmospheric pressure of ~4atm. In the short term this dosen’t matter. In the long term the higher force of drag and gravity may impede larger organisms and projectiles, but will make flight a much easier prospect.

All teams will start with the same organism, that has come about just after an event analogous to the Great Oxygenation. The only other major species in their environment is a simple algae-analog.

Munr Growth -Munr Parvos

Description: A barely multicellular cluster of cells that consumes dead algae as it drifts to the Water’s Floor. It can move, but does so in an extremely inefficient manner, and it lacks any sensory organs, or any organs at all really.

Current Teams
Octotank
-Burger Cat
-Yakforger?

Any
-NatureGirl
-DehEvil

ABNTT
-Magma
Guineapig

magmacube_tr
Location: Somewhere where those pesky federals can't find me.

Re: Definitely Not Earth’s Twin Two

Post by magmacube_tr » Sun Jul 19, 2020 1:28 pm

I would join, but the forum is dead.
Your everyday cube of molten rock. Also, look, a baby dragon.

░░▄▄▄░░▄▄██████▀
░▀▀██░███████▀▀
░▄█▀░███████▀
██▄▄███████████▄▄
▀█████████████▀

But thats a swa-

Shut up! This is the closest thing I could find.

Tiberius

Post by Tiberius » Mon Jul 20, 2020 2:44 am

I was hoping people were still lurking so I'm going to give it some time. Its kind of sad to see this forum slowly dying over the years

Burger Cat

Post by Burger Cat » Mon Jul 20, 2020 6:24 am

I be willing to join my part as I'm always a fan of evolution games.

Tiberius

Post by Tiberius » Tue Jul 21, 2020 10:45 pm

magmacube_tr wrote:
Sun Jul 19, 2020 1:28 pm
Two players is just barely enough. Are you willing to join? The only way the forum comes back is if people are active

magmacube_tr
Location: Somewhere where those pesky federals can't find me.

Post by magmacube_tr » Wed Jul 22, 2020 9:47 am

Tiberius wrote:
Tue Jul 21, 2020 10:45 pm
magmacube_tr wrote:
Sun Jul 19, 2020 1:28 pm
Two players is just barely enough. Are you willing to join? The only way the forum comes back is if people are active
Yes, I will join.
Your everyday cube of molten rock. Also, look, a baby dragon.

░░▄▄▄░░▄▄██████▀
░▀▀██░███████▀▀
░▄█▀░███████▀
██▄▄███████████▄▄
▀█████████████▀

But thats a swa-

Shut up! This is the closest thing I could find.

naturegirl1999

Post by naturegirl1999 » Wed Jul 22, 2020 9:22 pm

I’ll join. I’m glad there’s a new game.
I'm gonna put the last thing I copied here. Will change each time I visit for variety
Korobeiniki

Tiberius

Post by Tiberius » Fri Jul 24, 2020 4:51 am

Ok I just need team names and votes for the first turn

Burger Cat

Post by Burger Cat » Fri Jul 24, 2020 7:14 am

I be known as Team Octo-Tank
Vote 1: Develop a more stronger flexible muscles structure that resemble a rounded cylinder.

Guineapig004

Post by Guineapig004 » Fri Jul 24, 2020 12:39 pm

Hey uh, I have a terrible track record on staying active but I would like to try again. I probably will join a team rather than create one to create less of a disruption, and if I don't show up by wherever's convenient assume I've screwed up again. I'll pick a team sometime today.
"And fear struck the hearts of the dodos, as they realized they were being watched..."