Pride and Patronage; An Alternate History Civ Game!

Speculative evolution and forum games
BakedToast

Re: Pride and Patronage; An Alternate History Civ Game!

Post by BakedToast » Mon Sep 16, 2019 11:16 pm

Sassy Cassie wrote:
Mon Sep 16, 2019 9:21 pm
You aren't doing anything for religion yet. That will be part of the next phase of setup.
Fair enough. I'll change my original vote.
"Greater than I, none. Less than I, none. For I am Chayrus. All shall be one, as I am."

Burger Cat

Post by Burger Cat » Tue Sep 17, 2019 8:29 am

Campeche Civ:
15 Points: River Sailing
5 Points: Two-Field Crop Rotation
5 Points: Domesticate of an native fruit-based plant (Papaya)
5 Points: Minor domestication of the ocelot by making them more docile to humans "Basically to hunt down pests for the crop fields protection, similar to house cats"
Mekong River Civ:
10 Points: Major domestication of the Asian water monitor to have a similar niche to hunting dogs "stronger, swifter, and smarter with selective breeding" with more docile behavior toward humans. The monitors can be farmed as well for their meat, hides, and eggs.
15 Points: Advanced Architecture
5 Points: Large Scale Architecture
Last edited by Burger Cat on Tue Sep 17, 2019 7:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.

joshthehawk

Post by joshthehawk » Tue Sep 17, 2019 8:29 am

BakedToast wrote:
Mon Sep 16, 2019 9:00 pm
Question: In 3000BC, the Sahara was still green (there are historical records of the Romans trying to save it by planting trees and digging canals, but it became a desert anyway). Is the Sahara still green in this timeline, or is it already a desert?
While the Sahara is indeed still wetter than it is today, it is still not the savannah it once was. However, it is currently very different depending on where in the Sahara you're looking. Areas like the Libyan coast is some of the most arable land in the Mediterranean at the moment, and the Sahara thus does not properly reach the sea here.

The northern parts of the desert currently range from being a proper desert in the most inland areas to being more of a half-desert/arid shrubland elsewhere.

For the southern Sahara there is however a different story, as it seems the west african monsoon seems to have reached all the way up there until somewhere between 2700 BC and 2100 BC; thus turning it into more of a savannah (think eastern Africa) than a desert. This is of course still not suitable at all to an agrarian society, but it does definitely mean that the area have much more access to elephants and hyenas and other similar animals.

Interestingly, while the Yellow Nile is not around anymore, the area where it once flowed is currently taken up by a system of lakes and marshes that are likely to dry out by 2000 BC.
If I'm making a comment with this type of text I'm talking as a moderator.
Anonymous wrote:And those who were seen dancing
where thought to be insane
by those who could not hear the music.

joshthehawk

Post by joshthehawk » Tue Sep 17, 2019 8:54 am

MIssissippi Civ:
5p - Cultivate sunflowers
5p - Domesticate the Turkey
5p - Two-Field Crop Rotation
15p - Advanced Architecture
Nile Civ:
5p - Two-Field Crop Rotation
5p - Large Scale Architecture
5p - Domesticate Papyrus
15p - River Sailing
If I'm making a comment with this type of text I'm talking as a moderator.
Anonymous wrote:And those who were seen dancing
where thought to be insane
by those who could not hear the music.

Sassy Cassie

Post by Sassy Cassie » Tue Sep 17, 2019 1:51 pm

Po River Valley Civ

-5 Modifiy wheat to be more easily farmed in N. Italy's colder weather.
-5 Standardized Currency
-15 Inland Sea Sailing.
-Domesticate the Alpine Ibex
Ⓐ☭Empathy is the most radical of human emotions, and it's rejection is inherently reactionary☭Ⓐ

Sassy Cassie

Post by Sassy Cassie » Tue Sep 17, 2019 2:58 pm

naturegirl1999 wrote:
Mon Sep 16, 2019 6:12 pm

5 tech to domesticate a native plant
You don't really have to do that for either of your regions. They are in fertile river valleys, and have basically everything they need to survive. Unless you are trying to domesticate something they hadnt yet because, "it's neat," in which case I'm gonna need some specification. 😛

Beyond that, you are good, though!
Burger Cat wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 8:29 am
5 Points: Domesticate of an native fruit-based plant
Could you please specify a plant?
Alexcat989 wrote:
Your civ is good!
Ⓐ☭Empathy is the most radical of human emotions, and it's rejection is inherently reactionary☭Ⓐ

naturegirl1999

Post by naturegirl1999 » Tue Sep 17, 2019 3:06 pm

Sassy Cassie wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 2:58 pm
naturegirl1999 wrote:
Mon Sep 16, 2019 6:12 pm

5 tech to domesticate a native plant
You don't really have to do that for either of your regions. They are in fertile river valleys, and have basically everything they need to survive. Unless you are trying to domesticate something they hadnt yet because, "it's neat," in which case I'm gonna need some specification. 😛

Beyond that, you are good, though!
Burger Cat wrote:
Alexcat989 wrote:
Your civ is good!
Fixed. It is now 5 Tech for Composite Bows
I'm gonna put the last thing I copied here. Will change each time I visit for variety
Korobeiniki

Sassy Cassie

Post by Sassy Cassie » Tue Sep 17, 2019 3:48 pm

BakedToast wrote:
Mon Sep 16, 2019 9:00 pm
5 points - Develop the Atl-Atl for predominant use in hunting, as struggling tribes are far less likely to fight each other anyway.
I'm... Fairly confident y'all have the Atl Atl. Thats like, stone age tech, which you already have. I have bow checked with JTH, abd yes, everyone has the atlatl. Its just not as widely used in civs luke yours, because its not very effective in the thick jungles of modern day Nigeria.
5 points - Expand our pre-existing animism religion Develop an amplified version of the Didgeridoo for simplified communications over great distances using different tonal repitions at different pitches and speeds
That's more of, like, a cultural thing that you can add in when we do the culture/religion aspects of setup, or develop over the course of the game, and less of a technological development.
5 points - Develop large-scale architecture; walled villages, and forts to keep humanity safe from predators and natural disasters.
10 points - Develop advanced architecture; aqueducts made of baked clay from other rivers to increase water supply for crops, Temples, roads (which are a form of advanced architecture), etc, for humanity around the Niger River to benefit from.[/spoiler]
You are over-estimating what I meant by advanced architecture. When I wrote this up, I meant for it to be advanced, by the standards of late stone age/early bronze age society.

So, large scale architecture would fall more in line with, say, pyramids, ziggurats, and the first attempts at dams, not walls and forts. You already have simple walls and hill/wood forts.

Meanwhile, Advanced Architecture would fall more in line with, to paraphrase JTH, early canals, multi-story buildings, and similar things.

Beyond that, you need to at least spec into making it easier to cultivate yams, or something similar. We are in a period of very early agriculture, and yams are your main crop. While yams are semi-domesticated, they aren't to the point where they can feed larger-scale societies as they grow, which would mean your society would likely collapse abd disappear after the first major growth spurt that happens in the Niger River civ.
Spend all 30 points on Simplified Writing. We have access to food sources and water sources already, and are capable of building shelter, as humans in this area already were capable of these things in 3000 BC. So we're not going extinct. (Going off of how the previous game went, where rice had already been domesticated etc, we should also have already domesticated Cassava, Yams, and other local plants, as well as some species of cattle, by this time. If this is not correct, please advise on what needs to be done to preserve my civ.)
To directly quote JoshTheHawk, my primary advisor here:
joshthehawk wrote: His Kongo Civ meanwhile I suppose is sort of acceptable, in a way, however it doesn't feel proper. I'd say he should have to spend some points to make the area more livable for him. After all, the primary reason why development has historically been difficult in the Kongo is due to the tsetse-fly, which makes it ridiculously hard to keep mammals, as they have a tendency to develop sleeping sickness and die. So that one will need to either change a bird to be better for domestication or for him to make something to allow for mammals to be around.

Burger Cat

Post by Burger Cat » Tue Sep 17, 2019 7:19 pm

Sassy Cassie wrote:
Burger Cat wrote:
I will be picking the Papaya as my plant if that fine?

Sassy Cassie

Post by Sassy Cassie » Wed Sep 18, 2019 4:54 pm

Burger Cat wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 7:19 pm
Sassy Cassie wrote:
Burger Cat wrote:
I will be picking the Papaya as my plant if that fine?
👍