Chordate Dominance: Remix- Turn 3

Speculative evolution and forum games
magmacube_tr
Location: Somewhere where those pesky federals can't find me.

Re: Chordate Dominance: Remix- Turn 2

Post by magmacube_tr » Fri Mar 27, 2020 10:44 pm

magmacube_tr wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 10:58 am
1: Develop tounges to be longer.

2: Make the fur brown for camo.

I'll keep my votes from earlier too.
Your everyday cube of molten rock. Also, look, a baby dragon.

░░▄▄▄░░▄▄██████▀
░▀▀██░███████▀▀
░▄█▀░███████▀
██▄▄███████████▄▄
▀█████████████▀

But thats a swa-

Shut up! This is the closest thing I could find.

Leo

Post by Leo » Fri Mar 27, 2020 11:31 pm

Leo wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 5:49 pm
Mountain Biome.
1) Increase in size. There are no ungulates here, and i WILL fill that niche.
2) More agile paws. So we can climb easier and manipulate food better.
I'm keeping my votes too.

Prudentia

Post by Prudentia » Sat Mar 28, 2020 2:46 am

So, just wanted to update everybody, all species are updated but one. Started my three day marathon of work hell (retail, essential worker), so not sure if turn will get posted before Monday. Worst case scenario, NPS are made Monday, and turn is posted Tuesday. Or I get impatient, post it before Monday, and offer some form of compensation for the lack of competitors. Will have to see how feet and mind hold out while the petty and vindictive store management realizes that I was serious about putting in my two weeks last week.

The lesson here, don't work in logistics in retail. Your bosses don't know what you do, and you have to dispel their crazy notions about what it is your job actually entails. Every. Single. Weekend. Add in a pandemic that puts you in the high-risk group and you're golden.
Black Rockfish, Sebastes melanops, ~12 inches, of the coast of Newport, Oregon.

naturegirl1999

Post by naturegirl1999 » Sat Mar 28, 2020 2:51 am

Wait, what? How does a person who hires you for a job not know what the job entails?
I'm gonna put the last thing I copied here. Will change each time I visit for variety
Korobeiniki

Prudentia

Post by Prudentia » Sat Mar 28, 2020 3:19 am

naturegirl1999 wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 2:51 am
Wait, what? How does a person who hires you for a job not know what the job entails?
They're idiots.
In all seriousness, my store replaced all of its leadership in a four month span, and none of the new people were properly trained. One of the new guys just became the store manager, and the two assistant store managers who knew what they were doing left, and the third, who doesn't get defensive when his underlings offered him advice, is in quarantine. Leaving my boss's boss, and the Store Manager, both of whom are under-trained, and know it. So they are always in panic mode, and being part-time leaves me as something they ignore. Until they want me to do something that I am unable to do because I was never the promotion that I was supposed to get. No promotion means no access in the store systems, no access means I can't do what they want me to do.

As to why I didn't get the promotion I need to do what they expect of me? It comes with a pay raise.

naturegirl1999

Post by naturegirl1999 » Sat Mar 28, 2020 1:04 pm

You would think they would understand they having you do more means they pay you more. It’s like they don’t think. If the store makes $2000 a month and the required pay raise for your promotion and access to store systems to allow you to do what they want you to do requires they pay you $100 more a month, they will still be making $1900 a month, still profiting, not going out of business, and now an employee can actually do what they want said employee to do, sounds like a worthy investment to me. Note: I am not a business owner. What I am saying is you should get that promotion. The above is basically saying it in a way the boss may understand
I'm gonna put the last thing I copied here. Will change each time I visit for variety
Korobeiniki

BakedToast

Post by BakedToast » Sat Mar 28, 2020 9:40 pm

naturegirl1999 wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 1:04 pm
Note: I am not a business owner. The above is basically saying it in a way the boss may understand.
This is definitely rabbit-trailing, but it honestly depends what type of business this retail place is. Is it a franchise? Or a stand-alone business? Your argument makes sense for a standalone business, but the concept that a higher bureaucratic rank enables you to do more functions "in the system" (I assume electronically) will most likely imply that this is a branch or franchise of some kind (where store managers have district managers, and they in turn have territory managers, etc.). And branches/franchises as individual stores/units have honestly very little autonomy.
I am in no way trying to defend these chumps/cookie pushers, since clearly the store itself has larger problems if they have had to replace all of their management in the past month or so. Especially if the new management is petty and vindictive.

I'd also point out that "manager" and "business owner" are two very different things as well. Not much to say here other than that they are still different things.

I will state, though, that in the case of upper management, it's definitely a HUGE bonus on their part if they know how to do the jobs of their individual team members, but it's not a requirement. The managers' job is to, well, manage things; not do them him/herself. In this above case, management is clearly not doing their job, since they are petty, which is not how you manage things, and also if they don't know WHAT, at all, their individual team members do to aid the system.
"Greater than I, none. Less than I, none. For I am Chayrus. All shall be one, as I am."

Prudentia

Post by Prudentia » Mon Mar 30, 2020 11:19 pm

BakedToast wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 9:40 pm
naturegirl1999 wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 1:04 pm
Note: I am not a business owner. The above is basically saying it in a way the boss may understand.
This is definitely rabbit-trailing, but it honestly depends what type of business this retail place is. Is it a franchise? Or a stand-alone business? Your argument makes sense for a standalone business, but the concept that a higher bureaucratic rank enables you to do more functions "in the system" (I assume electronically) will most likely imply that this is a branch or franchise of some kind (where store managers have district managers, and they in turn have territory managers, etc.). And branches/franchises as individual stores/units have honestly very little autonomy.
I am in no way trying to defend these chumps/cookie pushers, since clearly the store itself has larger problems if they have had to replace all of their management in the past month or so. Especially if the new management is petty and vindictive.

I'd also point out that "manager" and "business owner" are two very different things as well. Not much to say here other than that they are still different things.

I will state, though, that in the case of upper management, it's definitely a HUGE bonus on their part if they know how to do the jobs of their individual team members, but it's not a requirement. The managers' job is to, well, manage things; not do them him/herself. In this above case, management is clearly not doing their job, since they are petty, which is not how you manage things, and also if they don't know WHAT, at all, their individual team members do to aid the system.
I work in a highly centralized big box store franchise (hardware/home improvement focused. But no, the upper management of the company is full of idiot too. Our CEO was fired from his last job after one his horrible policies, and his buffoonish attempts to fix what he broke, caused their stock price to drop 60+%.
I heard, yesterday, that when my supervisor heard that I put my two weeks in, he chewed out his boss over it. I had to interact with his boss all weekend, and he didn't not look at me the entire time.

Anyways, enough about the soul suck that is my coronavirus filled work. Just trying to work out how much detail to give about each NPS.

Guineapig004

Post by Guineapig004 » Tue Mar 31, 2020 1:57 pm

Hey, just popped in to let everyone know I'm back. (Haven't checked the forum in the past few weeks.) And yes, I'll be happy to continue developing my species.
"And fear struck the hearts of the dodos, as they realized they were being watched..."

Prudentia

Re: Chordate Dominance: Remix- Turn 3

Post by Prudentia » Wed Apr 01, 2020 9:27 pm

Seven-hundred and twenty-five thousand years, 725,000 yrs

In the Bay:

Diving Hamster; Mesocricetus auratus lutris- Magmacube_tr
Longer tongue
Brown fur

This hamster possesses flippers in place of it’s hands and feet, allowing for significant mobility underwater; and a vertically compressed tail helps provide propulsion. However, when on land, this species is capable of little more than wriggling and rolling. Dark brown or even gray fur helps it blend into the mud when the tide is out.
A moderate sized tongue with three short prongs is used to prod the murky bay floor for food. Once found, this creature uses it’s flippers and head to dig into the mud to retrieve the food item.

Size: 13-18 cm long, 3.84 cm at the shoulder, 120-125 grams
Diet: Various grasses and vegetation, in addition to some invertebrates.
Lifespan: 2-3 years, sexual maturity in 4-6 weeks,
Fecundity: 8-10 pups, up to 20; a litter every 2-8 weeks is possible. 6-8 for health

Egg-Eating Hamster; Mesocricetus auratus ovophagous- Naturegirl1999
O2 filtration
Protection for said O2 filtration
A large cerebral cortex, and a flat centered cornea are signs of this organism’s adaptation to the water. An easy way to distinguish this species from several closely related species is by the presence of a rough, scaly portion of the dorsal region. Underneath lies a highly vascularized patch skin, capable of pulling some oxygen from the water. Though the amount is supplementary at best.

Size: 10-14 cm long, 3.5 cm at the height, 100-115 grams.
Diet: Various vegetation, and large quantities of invertebrate eggs.
Lifespan: 2-3 years, sexual maturity in 4-6 weeks.
Fecundity: 8-10 pups, up to 20; a litter every 2-8 weeks is possible. 6-8 for best health.

In the Savanna:

Pack Hamster; Mesocricetus auratus grex- BakedToast
Larger size
Greater brain size

Longer arms, wider hips, and the alteration of this species spine from a C-shape into mere curve have greatly changed this species locomotion. Rather than being graceful, this species has a rather lumbering quality to it. That said, it also has the ability to walk bipedally through water.

Size: 19-26 cm long, 9 cm at the shoulder (waist sits at about 5.6 cm, baboon-like in posture), 126-141 grams.
Lifespan: 3-4 years, sexual maturity in 5-8 weeks.
Fecundity: 8-10 pups, up to 20; a litter every 3-9 weeks is possible. 7-9 for best health.

Diurnal Hamster; Mesocricetus auratus acidus- Alexcat989
Increased size
Increased hind leg length

This hamster has undergone a number of adaption to it’s jaws and facial structure. A larger sagittal crest, and a shortening of the dentaries has shifted this species diet towards soft foods, such as carrion, arthropods, and plants fruits. In addition, cone cells are concentrated in the center of eye, providing this species with good day vision, but terrible near sightedness at night.

Longer hind legs have given this species a stronger stride, shifting the burden of movement from each limb, primarily to the hind legs.

Size: 22-31 cm long, 6 cm at the height, 198-243 grams
Diet: Various vegetation, in addition to some invertebrates. Some kinds of grasses and nuts.
Lifespan: 3-4 years, sexual maturity in 5-8 weeks,
Fecundity: 8-10 pups, up to 20; a litter every 3-9 weeks is possible. 7-9 for health

In the High Desert:

Talpid Hamster; Mesocricetus auratus talpus- Burger Cat
Nasal horns
Pig like noses

Large masseters have allowed this species to consume the toughest grasses, and even some species of sage brush. However, these items are supplementary to its main diet of tubers, roots, and even truffles.
A profound burrower, thanks to an enlarged scapular spine, food is located by this hamster’s highly developed sense of smell. With nearly twice the turbinates of its relatives, this animal utilizes the most of its extraordinary sense thanks to it’s flat, fleshy, and slight mobile nose. The mobility of the nose is rudimentary, but not to be understated, nonetheless. That said, the small pair of bony protrusions erupted from the nasal bone can help shift through loose soils.

Size: 13-18 cm long, 4 cm at the shoulder, 120-125 grams.
Diet: Various tubers and burrowing invertebrates.
Fecundity: 8-10 pups, up to 20; a litter every 2-8 weeks is possible. 6-8 for best health.

In the Alpine:

Marmot Hamster; Mesocricetus auratus marmotus- Leo
Increase size
more dexterous paws.

Group scavenging provides some benefit, though the animals still remains otherwise solitary. Individuals may call out when they find food to eat, likely in the hope that others will call out when they find food in the future. Food is primarily found through the organism’s sense of smell.
This species can developed longer fingers in order to more effectively manipulate the environment around. Moving rocks, handling food, grooming, etc.

Size: 35-44 cm long, 10 cm at the height, 364- 458 grams
Lifespan: 3-4 years, sexual maturity in 5-7 weeks.
Fecundity: 8-10 pups, up to 20; a litter every 3-9 weeks is possible. 7-9 for best health

In the Old-Growth Forests:

Dextrous Hamster; Mesocricetus auratus naemel- Guineapig004
Hind leg muscle
Grip strength

Already a crepuscular animal, this hamster has furthered reduced its number of cones and increased its number of rods, enhancing its ability to perceive low light sources.
An enlarged tibia and fibula have increased the size of this organism’s calf muscle, thereby providing it with the ability to garner a more explosive start when moving from a standing or sitting position.
In a slightly more advanced behavior from their cousins, these hamsters are known to use debris to stabilize weaker portions of their burrow.
Longer fingers and more muscular hind legs have given this species a better burrowing ability.

Size: 13-18 cm long, 3.84 cm at the height, 120-125 grams.
Diet: Various seeds, nuts, invertebrates, and berries.
Fecundity: 8-10 pups, up to 20; a litter every 2-8 weeks is possible

So, fully formed ecosystems will be available next turn, and as recompense, every one gets three votes for this turn. There will be some formatting changes coming, now working size increases based on a formula, so size changes should look a bit cleaner, and you automatically increase your size in proportion, unless you specify a manner in which you wish to get larger (length, height and/or weight)
Last edited by Prudentia on Wed Apr 01, 2020 11:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.