Burghers of Frye

Speculative evolution and forum games
Guineapig004

Re: Burghers of Frye

Post by Guineapig004 » Mon Jun 11, 2018 1:26 am

BakedToast wrote:
Thu Jun 07, 2018 3:05 pm
New Issues:
1. We should vote for a replacement of Tiglam. If we can do so, the Count is less likely to be offended with us, as he had nominated Tiglam flippantly anyway. Count Adaarn will hopefully understand our actions as we've been isolated for so long and have our own ways, and will accept our nominee. Obviously, we could vote for a someone of the powerful families, but note that that would give that family much more power than the rest. Or, we could nominate gifted commoner or influential villager for the task. Or, we could allow the Count to nominate a foreigner, who would know nothing of our ways.
2. A substantial group of Dabalian commoners are making use of their right to propose laws, and are proposing that village funds be used to construct a Dabalian temple, since many years ago, common funds were used to build the Ud'ehbaian church. It would only be fair, they state. While this is true, it could be the start of a slippery slope where the Ud'ehbaians will demand money for a bigger, fancier church, and so on...
3. An emissary from the village of Shaake, also under Count Adaarn's domain, has come to the ruling body of Frye; finding Tiglam dead, he came to the Elders, with a proposal that children from Shaake (nearer to Frye than the village of Donu) could come by once a week for a day of schooling at the school. Naturally, the Bailiff of Shaake would pay the Elders of Frye for this service. While this could be a good source of income, it would mean one less day of education for the children of Frye.
4. A replacement for Tiglam must also be voted to be placed on the council of Elders of Frye. Most likely a commoner, or someone with outstanding reputation, would be a good idea, or someone extremely gifted.
In short, here are the issues the Elders can vote for:
1. What shall we do to replace Tiglam?
2. Common funds to build a Dabalian temple, yes or no?
3. How shall we respond to Shaake's request?
4. We need another Elder on the council; who?
1. Nominate a gifted commoner.
2. Unfortunately, no. We do not have the funds. We will promise that we will come back to this issue.
3. Accept the offer. We will now assign practice assignments for the children of Frye to work on while they are at home.
4. A gifted commoner. Otherwise, one family will attain to much power.

The family of Tannell will capitalize on the inn opportunity. Unlike other inns, their inn will be more sophisticated. A place for great minds to have peaceful conversations. It's design will be very simplistic. They shall call it the "Eloquent Oak".

The family of Tannell also continues to study medicine and steel.

The family of Tannell decides to try to figure out who killed Tiglam. Not because they liked the bailiff of course, but to get on the Count's good side.
"And fear struck the hearts of the dodos, as they realized they were being watched..."

Burger Cat

Post by Burger Cat » Mon Jun 11, 2018 12:56 pm

2. Common funds to build a Dabalian temple, yes or no?
1. I believe that a gifted commoner should be the new bailiff.
2. While I'm a Dabalian myself, I sadly have to say no. But I can personal build the church if they want to use my funds to work together.
3. I believe we can accept their request, But for one day of the week can be a free day for Fyre students to relax and do homework, while Shaake childern can come during that day. That or we can lets them go during the same day and time as well.
4.I believe we should lets the people vote for a Gifted Commoner to be elected into the elders to balance down the families powers.

General Actions:

Northe will have a public speak that there is a dark god that is affecting everyone in the villages and forcing them to do decisions that will harm their own friends+families. Northe will also suggest that those killers were effected by the Dark God.

Xijin will have personal investigation on his own family to see who were the killers and will publicly search through Asura Guards equipments with his royal guards.

Xijin will also try to comfort his wife Lenora and hoping that they will live a happy life together.

Asura Builders will continue building the watchtower.

The Asura will open up a new business that will be mercenaries and bodyguards jobs to help the people of new areas and Frye itself.

Asura guards will try to help the Fyre villagers to earn their trust again.

The former leader of the Asura "Xing" is going to be the teacher of military training and military tactics. He will be hired by his own son Xijin to be the teacher.

Guineapig004

Post by Guineapig004 » Sat Jun 16, 2018 4:55 am

(OOC: I found that I no longer want the Tannell family to try to control everyone. The idea became boring very fast. Can I make them have a change of heart? They still will be snobby but they won't want to strip the people of their freedoms.)
"And fear struck the hearts of the dodos, as they realized they were being watched..."

BakedToast

Post by BakedToast » Sat Jun 16, 2018 7:25 pm

Guineapig004 wrote:
Sat Jun 16, 2018 4:55 am
(OOC: I found that I no longer want the Tannell family to try to control everyone. The idea became boring very fast. Can I make them have a change of heart? They still will be snobby but they won't want to strip the people of their freedoms.)
100% you may do that.

Sorry about the delay in response, I was on vacation over the last week.
"Greater than I, none. Less than I, none. For I am Chayrus. All shall be one, as I am."

Guineapig004

Post by Guineapig004 » Sun Jun 17, 2018 2:48 am

BakedToast wrote:
Sat Jun 16, 2018 7:25 pm
Guineapig004 wrote:
Sat Jun 16, 2018 4:55 am
100% you may do that.

Sorry about the delay in response, I was on vacation over the last week.
No problem.

BakedToast

Post by BakedToast » Wed Jun 20, 2018 2:49 pm

Putting the game on a temporary hiatus, as Itzan's GM has returned, and I'm going to focus on that game once again for a while.
"Greater than I, none. Less than I, none. For I am Chayrus. All shall be one, as I am."

BakedToast

Post by BakedToast » Sun Aug 12, 2018 9:21 pm

After Hiatus, we are back! I have decided to reboot the game.
I will no longer be playing Elforche; the family will still exist, but they will be mostly passive, unless a new player joins who would rather control Elforche than play as an individual.

Burger Cat wrote:
Sat Jun 02, 2018 4:24 am
naturegirl1999 wrote:
Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:43 pm
Tiberius wrote:
Sat Jun 09, 2018 12:06 am
Guineapig004 wrote:
Mon Jun 11, 2018 1:23 am

The Elders Have discussed cuurent issues, and their results are recorded here:
Marahie: I think we should nominate a member of the common people.
Javen: Nominate a gifted commoner.
Cisse: I nominate myself.
Bouhe: We should elect a commoner, one knowledgable in our ways.
Northe: A gifted commoner should be bailiff.
Sefiam: A commoner would be the wisest approach, however it should be a wealthy commoner.
Final Vote: The vote is unanimous. A commoner, rather than a powerful family member, will become Bailiff. Since no one has an objection, and Cisse has nominated himself as fully elligible (being a commoner, and being wise enough to join the council of elders), Cisse has been elected to be the new Bailiff.
2. Common funds to build Dabalian Temple, yes or no?
Marahie: If it will appease the Dabalians, yes.
Javen: No, we don't have the funds currently. We'll come back to this issue.
Cisse: There's no reason to waste funds on a false religion.
Bouhe: No, accepting will cause a financial religous escalation.
Northe: No, but Asura offers to build a temple with their own funds if Dabalians provide labour.
Sefiam: No, we must give no room for a false religion to spread.
Final Vote:The vote is an almost unanimous no. While the Dabalians are discouraged by the Elder's response, and this has not shed a good light on the idea that commoners can propose laws, the Dabalians are encouraged by Asura's promise to provide funds and materials for a Dabalian temple.
Marahie: Accept, to avaoid confrontation.
Javen: Accept the offer.
Cisse: Hmm... Yes.. we will be able to reach more children's minds this way...
Bouhe: We can allow Children from both Frye and Shaake to learn together.
Northe: We can accept.
Sefiam: It will be a source of revenue. Accept.
Final Vote: The offer from Shaake is accepted. Since Shaake is still a good half day's walk from Frye, the children do not come to school every day, but merely one day each week, in which the Frye children remain home so as not to clog the school and overwhelm the teachers.
Marahie: We don't need another elder. Six of us is just fine.
Javen: A gifted commoner.
Cisse: Since I should become the Bailiff, We need a commoner to replace me, but we don't need another one as well.
Bouhe: Elect a village commoner, the same one we'd elect to be bailiff.
Northe: The common people should vote, and elect someone to be a member in the council.
Sefiam: A wealthy commoner who has earned the position should join the council.
Final Vote: The Elders have conceded that perhaps only 6 members on the council is fine; Rolfe, an outstanding commoner who is well liked by the people and known for good citizenship, has been nominated. He is the owner of the Comfortable Cabinet.
The powerful families in Frye have not been idle this month.

Lew: -Base Building- 30
Lew Begins to build an inn, and sends money to the school for expansion. Progress is slow, as there aren't many public labourers available to hire, due to the large amount of other building projects going on.

Lew: -Sneak Peek- 29
Several of Lew's explorers are caught by the guards hired by Elforche to protect the mines. Thankfully, no violence breaks out, but Elforche's guards put these family members in custody and refuse to release them until Lew answers to Elforche for their actions.

Lew: -Shuidri "Management"- 66
Removing the Shuidri seems to be effective. Commoners who report having nightmares are treated by members of Lew, who remove the Shuidri from the clothing of the commoners and allow them to sleep peacefully once more. Convincing the Shuidri to be peaceful has proven less effective. Cynical by nature, these ancient insects have long lived a life of parasitism and traumatizing. Their instincts are very strong, and even if one or two are convinced, their morals seem to die along with them.

Lew: -Forest Forages- 68
Deer, boar, and foxes are found in decent supply by the explorers, for use as Shuidri hosts. They are well fed and kept in pens separate from the other animals, to avoid Shuidri contamination spreading. Those who ventured into the forest to investigate disappearances have found strange bipedal tracks in a swamp-like area of the forest. They have a step size that is rougly human, but the feet only have three large toes. Spooked, the explorers return home with this information.

Lew: -Simple Science- 17
The commoner that Lew has hired has turned out to be concealing a staunch Udebha'ian viewpoint. He teaches the children of Udebha's creation of the world, and how the soul is trapped within the body first and foremost, before teaching other natural sciences, in light of an Udebha'ian view. Dabalian parents are outraged by this new cirriculum, and demand the teacher be replaced. Lew's reputation with Dabalian populace decreases sharply.

Ferran: -Inn Construction- 52
Inn construction goes along smoothly. If Ferran is content with building a small inn, it will be completed this month. If they want a larger inn, it will take more time. The choice is up to them.

Ferran: -Forging Fires- 70
A terrible "accident" has taken place in the village. The Amiable Anvil, a startup smithing business, had their forge erupt into flames, causing the entire building to burn down. The owner managed to escape, badly burned, but his apprentice was killed in the outburst. All the inventory of the Amiable Anvil is also ruined by the flames, and beautiful ironworks are melted and marred; everything from swords to horseshoes has been ruined. Amiable Anvil has no way to recoup their capital, and Elforche doesn't seem to willing to once again aid them. They are in dire straits.

Ferran: -Mason Order- 49
The Ferran family manages to buy a manifesto from a travelling merchant that was written by a master bricklayer, which details many insights into masonry.

Ferran: -Armaments- 26
Ferran has begun to produce more military oriented arms and armour. This was not a problem, however their business income has dropped sharply, since most villagers and travelling merchants are looking to buy trinkets, farm implements, and other more practical goods, or to get their own items repaired, which Ferran now has less time to work towards.

Tannell: -Inn'tellectuals- 48
Eloquent Oak construction goes along smoothly. If Tannell is content with building a small inn, it will be completed this month. If they want a larger inn, it will take more time. The choice is up to them.

Tannell: -Steely Treatments- 57
Study progresses at a normal rate. Steel is discovered to be much harder and more durable than iron, and therefore will be more valuable. It does not seem to rust as badly as iron from exposure, although it is heavier. In the field of medicine, Tannell has discovered that the same thing that preserves food in salt seems to help keep wounds from putrifying. By rubbing salt on [smaller] open wounds, they will heal faster and do not need amputation. What Tannell does with this knowledge is up to them.

Tannell: -Assassination Investigation- 80
Upon investigating some of the hoods and bows left at the scene of the crime, one of Tannell's sons has traced them back to a small fletcher who creates hunting garb. After being both bribed and threatened, he reveals that a member of Asura paid large sums of money for the highest quality bows and arrows, and for all of his dark hunting hoods. Tannell's son has not yet confronted Asura on this matter, and Asura is currently unaware that Tanell has the knowledge that it was them that committed the crime.

Asura: -Northeseph Smith- 98
Northe stands in the village square where Tiglam was assassinated, and makes a very effective speech. He informs the populace of the Dark god, a being that forces those who know of it top harm friends and family. This Dark god appears in visions to those who are asleep. Upon this revelation, many more confess that they have also seen this Dark deity, and pledge their allegiance to Northe to help him work against this evil entity. Northe rallies a large number of people, and in his name they set up a small camp in the woods outside the village, swearing fealty to Northe and to helping each other escape the Dark god's grasp. Northe makes a public promise that the murderers of Tiglam will be forgiven, as this Dark god has controlled them to kill Tiglam. Northe writes a book, detailing his encounters with this Dark god, and how to avoid it. He rewrites the book several times, but all editions are accepted as canon by his followers.

Asura: -Xijin's Investigation- 49
Xijin, who was clearly not responsible for this disruption of his wedding, has begun to investigate his own family. He is particulary suspicious of his half-brother, Northe, who has swayed so many people and who has promised forgiveness to the killers, and all Asura members who follow him. Xijin knows who from Asura is following Northe in this vendetta against the Dark god, but cannot be sure that they were indeed the assassins.

Asura: -Xijin's Married Life- 14
Lenora doesn't seem to be the person Xijin thought she was at all. After her instinctive murder of the hapless guard who had tried to arrest them, she has become cold and reclusive, and unwilling to communicate with Xijin. They haven't slept together yet, as Xijin is a noble soul and wants to give her some space, and time to consent. Lenora regards Xijin with basic respect, but acts very independantly, and most of the time wants nothing to do with him, instead choosing to help the populace of Frye or consort with members of Elforche. Relations between Asura and Elforche have become strained.

Asura: -Hired Guards- 44
Some villagers find the idea of a mercenary company in their peaceful village bizarre, but travellers and merchants readily hire mercenaries and guards to go with them on the roads to other villages, happily paying Asura's asking price. However, those who are involved in shady business in Frye have also hired these mercenaries as extra muscle to aid in committing crimes.

Asura: -Trusting Townsfolk- 72
The commoners appreciate the monetary aid and helping hands that Asura has been showing, and they appreciate it greatly. Many have stopped questioning Asura of the assassination, largely due to the benevolent acts they have carried out recently.

Asura: -Tactical Teaching- 11
Xing, while being venerable, respectable, and knowledgeable, seems to have very little patience with children. He rules the classroom with an iron fist of fear, causing many children to skip out of his classes entirely, or fail to concentrate and learn much of anything.
Notable Events:
1. Asura's Watchtower is completed.

2. Ferran's Quarry is completed.

3. The School of Frye:
Cirriculums currently in place are Science, Medicine, Literacy, and Tactics. Cirriculums that are desired are History.
Students seem to do well in the school.
The Science course is causing outrage from non-Udebha'ian parents.
The Tactics class is going very poorly.
The Medicine cirriculum is working well.
The Literacy class is stellar; Armanus has been spending extra time with problem students to ensure that they too can recieve a grasp on reading, and has suggested hosting an extra-cirricular meeting session for talented students at his residence, for further education. Parents have responded with enthusiasm.
As per the current laws of Frye, major actions regarding the teachers of the school may be resolved by the families that instituted the teachers in the first place.

4. Village Elder Northe has garnered somewhat of a cult following of people who are obsessed with "Resisting the Dark god"; these people have set up camp outside the village. Northe's judgement in village elder votes may become biased because of this.

5. Cisse has become Bailiff of Frye, and was accepted as such by Count Adaarn, who really didn't seem to care at all about who was Bailiff over this "new" village of his. Cisse promises to be reasonable, and exact no more than the tax due to the Count, and to avoid any tyrannical actions. This is partly due to respect for the people of Frye, and partly due to fear of ending up like Tiglam.

6. The Eastern Mines are now fully functioning, and have regular labourwork. However, several villagers living near the Eastern mines have gone missing, and the strange noises continue...
New Issues:
1. Northe and his followers propose a new law. They state that all who have visions of this "Dark god" be registered, and bear a visible mark, that those around them may be prepared for an outburst, and be ready to aid in banishing the dark god to his villainous realm. While this might be prudent, it does give Northe much more power, and also will require resources to implement and enforce such a law.
2. We have nominated a new Bailiff, Cisse. We must decide what sort of occasion we will instate for this and future ascensions to the mantle of Bailiff, and what sort of speech we shall make at this occasion.
3. Many foreign merchants have entered Frye. A lot of them are able to take take advantage of the ignorance of Frye's populace to make a sizable profit on their wares. We could instill a tax on foreign merchants to make some revenue on their trade, and/or we could introduce stipulations on the quality of foreign goods in order to protect the populace.
In short, here are the issues the Elders can vote for:
1. Register "Dark god" visionaries, yes or no?
2. What sort of occasion shall we instate upon electing the new Bailiff?
3. Place controlling measures on trade, yes or no?
The seventh month is upon us. Hopefully, a time of recovery and settling, but disturbing events and harmful occurrences may still abound...
Last edited by BakedToast on Fri Aug 17, 2018 3:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

naturegirl1999

Post by naturegirl1999 » Mon Aug 13, 2018 6:17 pm

1. Register "Dark god" visionaries, yes or no?
2. What sort of occasion shall we instate upon electing the new Bailiff?
3. Place controlling measures on trade, yes or no?

1. No. How do we know this "Dark God" is a real thing, and not made up to allow the killers of Tiglam to go free? Or a ploy to get power by Northe?

2. A public hearing where nominees are voted on by the commoners. The nominees should have no religous bias.

3. Yes. There should be a tax and quality check to make sure our citizens are getting good quality items that actually work.

Events:

Lew offers to help the owner of Amiable Anvil with his burns.

Lew sends the explorers who found the footprints along with double the original explorer count to investigate what is making the footprints.

Lew also sends some members of their family to Northe to get each of the books he has written about the "Dark God" to figure out if he knows about the Shuldri and how much he knows.

Lew fires the Udhebba'an teacher and tries to hire a teacher who believes in either no gods, or a teacher who doesn't favor Udhebba or Dabalia over each other and teaches about both of them, as well as teaching about the normal curriculum.

Lew continues to try and teach the Shuldri that it is possible for people to think about them if they help people and that if they help people then people would stop trying to get rid of them.

Lew gives money to the owners of the mine they broke into, (Elforche) asks them to give back the people who broke in, and advises the owners (Elforche) to investigate what is making the workers disappear and what is making the noises.

Some members of Lew also are sent to some nearby villages to try and find a history teacher who is knowledgeable about history and is as unbiased as possible toward any religion.
Last edited by naturegirl1999 on Thu Aug 16, 2018 7:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm gonna put the last thing I copied here. Will change each time I visit for variety
Korobeiniki

BakedToast

Post by BakedToast » Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:53 pm

naturegirl1999 wrote:
Mon Aug 13, 2018 6:17 pm
2. A public hearing where nominees are voted on by the commoners. The nominees should have no religious bias.
Bear in mind that Bailiff is currently not a democratically elected position, and is usually appointed by a superior position in the hierarchy, in this case Count Adaarn. Perhaps, think more on the lines of a festival of some sort, or a town event, so that at the very least all the populace are made aware that a new Bailiff has been elected.
Currently, we have already elected a new Bailiff; Cisse, who was a member of the Elders, and was credited with the invention of the material, "steel". The Elders agreed to nominate him, and thus he is the new Bailiff.

Tiberius

Post by Tiberius » Tue Aug 14, 2018 7:14 am

FIRE BOMB ALL THE INNS. THERE CAN ONLY BE ONE
Fire Bomb The burned Smith's Bed
Set aside resources for a large inn, made of the vastly superior FERRAN STONEWORK. (Yes I realise that we dont have a workshop yet, postpone construction if necessary, or use a temporary workspace.)
Try to buy the secret of steel off Cisse, giving the argument that it won't be long before tannel figures it out so he may as well get something for it.
Create a Masonry Workshop.
A Family Member has a strange dream and attempts to learn magic
A Quiet suggestion is made to Asura that the military should sweep out the mines to secure metal production, offering financial aid.
A Request is made to the council for the establishment of a marketplace.
Quietly have the arsonist who did so well practice, under the guise of experimenting with new fire safety techniques, and as a pseudo-marketing campaign for FERRAN STONEWORK WHICH WILL NEVER BURN DOWN.