Burghers of Frye

Speculative evolution and forum games
Burger Cat

Re: Burghers of Frye (1st Month)

Post by Burger Cat » Tue May 22, 2018 2:07 pm

BakedToast wrote:
Tue May 22, 2018 5:22 am
Semi-Major disputes to village Elders, yes or no?
Clear the road to the castle, yes or no? If yes, where will the manpower come from?
Build a school for natural studies, yes or no? If yes, where will the resources come from?
Suggest solutions (or support others' solutions) for the abandoned eastern mines.
Suggest a reaction for the Elders to take regarding the Dabalian religion.[/spoiler]
1. No
2. No, we need to establish that we are ready against the possibilities of bandits and raiders. But Northe generally do see the benefits of trades with the outside world but we just don't have the resources and manpower to do this type of plan.
3. Yes, I do believe that a school would be good, but we should have martial training and history of Frye as well for their classes just to keep future generations balanced with many different skills. We should get the resources from the mines and forest to build the school.
4. We should have proper safety measurements for going into the mines to ensure the health and safety of the miners; like putting a wooden cage with a mouse/bird into unknown parts of the caves to check if there is any toxic gases in that part of the mine. Generally I do agree with Javen about rebuilding the mines.
5. Dabalia is a harmless religion that can coexist with Ud'ehba, but should watch to see if that religion become unstable. But to make sure, believers of Dabalia must also believed in Ud'ehba as well.

Laws Suggestions:
1. We should lets the citizens suggest laws that we can decide that are suitable for our whole village of Frye.
2. We should look into possibility of training the citizens to be trained in military based skills that can help them against bandits.

General Actions:

The some of the Asura people begin to help with local townsfolks to deal with their current problems to help raise reputation that the Family of Asura are with the people.

The current leader of Asura family decided to donate their weapons to the Ferran family to ensure an helpful relationship with both families to help eachother out.

Asura family wanted to build a watch tower to add further protection toward Fyre as a whole but wanted to ask the elder council if they can build the tower.

OOC Edit: Forgot to added my general actions into my post, thank you Bakedtoast of reminded me that.
Last edited by Burger Cat on Wed May 23, 2018 10:54 am, edited 2 times in total.

BakedToast

Post by BakedToast » Tue May 22, 2018 2:35 pm

Guineapig004 wrote:
Tue May 22, 2018 5:51 am
5. Don't bother with it, people feel happier when they have something to believe in...
Sefiam points out that "we all" [a vast majority of us] believe in Ud'ehba already, so we already have something to believe in. It goes without saying that as a elderly man, Sefiam is a staunch Ud'ehbaian.
(Remember that most Ud'ehbaians believe non-Ud'ehbaians to be filth, so they might tolerate those who worship both, but not those who worship exclusively Dabalia.)

( I noticed that neither of you took any general actions in the village. Was this intentional? General actions can be very helpful to boost the influence of your family or set yourself up for future gain [be it wealth, power, or weakening other families]...)
"Greater than I, none. Less than I, none. For I am Chayrus. All shall be one, as I am."

naturegirl1999

Post by naturegirl1999 » Tue May 22, 2018 9:45 pm

BakedToast wrote: ↑ Semi-Major disputes to village Elders, yes or no?
Clear the road to the castle, yes or no? If yes, where will the manpower come from?
Build a school for natural studies, yes or no? If yes, where will the resources come from?
Suggest solutions (or support others' solutions) for the abandoned eastern mines.
Suggest a reaction for the Elders to take regarding the Dabalian religion.[/spoiler]

1: No. Village disputes can be salved by the townspeople. Montly Elder decisions would take much too long.

2: Yes, Trade would be good, if we do this, we need resources, such as from the forest and the mines that are already opened. Manpower will come from people who also want the road open to the castle as well as family members from the powerful families.

3: Yes. Natural resources can come from the forest as well as the mines that are already open. We can add other curriculums like other families are suggesting. natural studies doesn't have to be the only course.

4: We should board up the eastern mines. They are not in use and they are dangerous and there are probably enough materials in the currently used Western mines. We can open the Eastern mines later but for now they should be boarded up to prevent people from getting lost in them.

5: Let people believe in Dabalia if they want. I don't think it will harm anyone.

General Actions: The Lew family will help the rest of the village with problems that they have, and hopefully gain reputation with the general populace.

The Lew family would also start a farm to help grow food for the village.
I'm gonna put the last thing I copied here. Will change each time I visit for variety
Korobeiniki

Tiberius

Post by Tiberius » Wed May 23, 2018 4:41 am

1. No, petty disputes aren't worth the council's time, even if it would increase stability by some margin.
2. Yes, Take Manpower from the woodsmen and crafters of all materials. The Former should be the best suited for this task and the latter will benefit from it the most. We understand that the other families might fear the outside world and the nature of fealty and its levies and taxes, but those are burdens that the rest of the world has accepted. Fear of the outside world will not serve the people of Frye.
3. Yes, the clear consensus is to use the mines and forestry to build the school. We would have an emphasis on medicine in the school's efforts.
4. Yes, Take Manpower from the militia. If we can reopen the mine, then the quality of their equipment should improve. The Mine has the potential to help reinvigorate the economy.
5. Fighting a religion is a fool's task, but we must not let our people be guided away from transcendence. We should incorporate Dabaliah into our religion but as a lesser figure. Clearly, we're better off if we have both the truth of Ud'ehbaian and the patronage of Dabalia.

The Ferrans decide to take some ideas from the greater world and a pseudo-guild organisation. Young commoners who show talent are taken on as an apprentice. Once they finish their education and prove their worth they become full smiths, employed by the Ferrans.

The Ferrans accept the gift, although there's a good chance they were the ones who smithed the weapons originally.

The Ferrans hire some woodsmen to explore the area to potentially locate any good sources of stone.

BakedToast

Post by BakedToast » Wed May 23, 2018 2:12 pm

Tiberius wrote:
Wed May 23, 2018 4:41 am
The Ferrans decide to take some ideas from the greater world and a pseudo-guild organisation. Young commoners who show talent are taken on as an apprentice. Once they finish their education and prove their worth they become full smiths, employed by the Ferrans.
This system did not technically exist in this time frame (early medieval), but we'll see what becomes of it.

As a note, I will add that the above will be an exception to a rule since it was never directly discussed, but the familes shouldn't usually use their controlling players' real world knowledge to gain an advantage (such as attempting to invent electricity, which was hundreds of years in the future, unless the resources and the means are discovered and well known).
"Greater than I, none. Less than I, none. For I am Chayrus. All shall be one, as I am."

BakedToast

Re: Burghers of Frye (2nd Month)

Post by BakedToast » Wed May 23, 2018 4:10 pm

The first month in the village of Frye has passed, and the Village Elders have met once again to discuss the current issues and any new issues that they may now have to face. Below is a summary of each issue and how each member of the Elders voted last month, as well as their logic and reasoning for voting the way they did.
1. Should Major disputes among commoners be dealt with by the village Elders?
Marahie: No. The council only meets once a month and must deal with issues that face the entire village, not simple family feuds.
Javen: Yes. (If he had a reason for his vote, he didn't share it.)
Casthor: No. Petty disputes aren't worth the council's time, even if stability is increased.
Bouhe: No. Monthly meetings would take too long to solve every dispute in the village.
Northe: No. (If he had a reason for his vote, he didn't give it.)
Sefiam: No. As a Village Elder for many years, I know that this will not work.
Tiglam: No, those petty peasant commoners can squabble amongst themselves about who's goat is who's, it's beneath us.
Final Vote: The overwhelming consensus is no. Javen is a bit miffed by the result, and his pride is slightly hurt, especially asa the proposal came from him in the first place.
2. Should the road to the castle be cleared, and if so, how will we accomplish this?
Marahie: No, conflict is Frye's biggest enemy.
Javen: No, our village could be adversely affected by the choices of the realms in control of us.
Casthor: Yes, and nominate the woodsmen and crafters to build the road.
Bouhe: Yes, trade is beneficial. The common property forest could be used for resources to build the road back, but also the existing mine; those who are supportive of building the road could volunteer their time or perhaps be paid to work on the road.
Northe: No, the outside dangers could be too great for us at the moment. Perhaps in the future.
Sefiam: We have existed for very long without outside aid, but anything could be awaiting out there. Begin preparations to rebuild the road.
Tiglam: Yes, it is about time that my name is validated as the relative of the great count, and I will be exalted!
Final Vote: The vote was very close, but after long discussion, preparations are made to build the road. As for resources, the Elders have convened to acquire resources from the commonly owned forest, and to also buy stone from the owner of the western mines for the road. There is concern that nominating workers could cause complaint, but that opening it to volunteer work will not furnish enough labor for work. As a result, a compromise was made; families and individual commoners could volunteer to work on the road, and have their names registered in a ledger; once the road is built, there will be a toll for all who use it, and the revenue will be divided amongst those who volunteered to build the road.
3. Should a school of natural studies be built, and if so, how will we accomplish this?
Marahie: Yes, we could buy resources from the owner of the western mines, and either use the common forest or hire a skilled craftsman to craft the woodwork specially for the school.
Javen: Yes, Frye could benefit from education. Resources from the abandoned mine could be used for this.
Casthor: Yes, because the majority supports it. Resources can come from the common forest and both mines.
Bouhe: Yes, Natural resources will come from the forest and the mines, and we can generalize the school a bit to add other curriculum.
Northe: Yes, if the school also provides martial training and history. The forest around the village is currently common property and can be used for the school. We can also get resources from both mines.
Sefiam: No, education of the children should belong to the parents, as it always has.
Tiglam: No, education belongs to those of higher class, not the peasants.
Final Vote: The end result was Yes, a school should be built to educate the people. Paid labor will be used to gather wood from the forest, and to craft it into he logs and furniture the school will need. Brick and stone can also be supplied by the mines; the owner of the western mine has stepped up, offering to donate stone to the project, provided that an honorary plaque mentioning him and his mine is placed above the school doors; the Elders saw no problem with this, and accepted his proposal.
4. What should be done with the abandoned mines east of the village?
Marahie: They should be boarded up; they are dangerous, and who knows what could be living within...
Javen: Rebuild the mine; it will be property of the Village Elders, who can use the resources on village projects, such as the school.
Casthor: Open the mine, workers can be conscripted from the militia to serve in the mine, with the military effort receiving first choice of the resources for their use.
Bouhe: They should be boarded up for now.
Northe: We can rebuild the Mines, but make sure we explore them safely using animal test subjects.
Sefiam: I have lived longer than all of you here present, and I can attest that those mines were closed for a reason, one we must not speak of...
Tiglam: Rebuild the mine, and secure it as property of the higher class, to suit their... specific needs.
Final Vote: Although there were some... concerns, the Elders have reached a majority vote to open the mines. The cost of opening such mines, in time and manpower, is very great however; and since we are already building a school and clearing the roads, nominated labor is stretched too thin. The Elders have decided to allow the mine to be privately owned, people may step forward if they have the resources and power to manage such a project. They will recieve a small number of workmen, conscripted from the militia, to help provide some of the manpower, but the rest they will have to come up with themselves (either paid labor, or volunteer work of some kind). The mine would belong to them, the only stipulation being that at least 10% of the resources be given to the Elders for village projects.
5. What statement should the Elders make to the populace regarding the religion of Dabalia?
Marahie: Make a statement that those who worship Dabalia may not gather in any place to draw attention or cause dispute.
Javen: Make no statement, and allow the commoners to do as they please.
Casthor: Make a statement the recognizes Dabalia as lesser figure of the attributes of Ud'ehba, and thus encourages a merged religion.
Bouhe: Make a statement that the people are free to believe in Dabalia if they please.
Northe: Make a statement that those who wish to worship Dabalia are free to do so, but they must remain faithful to the Ud'ehbaian faith as well.
Sefiam: Make a statement condemning the vile worship of Dabalia, and threatening punishment to those caught worshiping her.
Tiglam: Make a statement that those who worship Ud'ehba are superior, encouraging the populace to embrace one god.
Final Vote: The Elders were quite conflicted here. Try as they might, no conclusion could be reached. The Elders had an open debate in front of the general populace on the subject, but reached no ultimatum; the result was disastrous. For one, everyone now knew of Dabalia and the stir that this new religion was causing. Secondly, the disunity of the Elders caused the people to fall into religious quarrel as well. The people broke into several "religious factions"; The first supported Ud'ehba with an iron fist, intolerant to change; The second was a small radical group that solely supported Dabalia, mostly made up of rebellious adolescents and those given to raise discord; The third was a group that attempted to mediate, and to worship both Dabalia and Ud'ehba. There were also those who declared neutrality or refused to reveal their opinion, but they were publicly shunned for their neutrality.
At the next monthly meeting, the Elders discussed new issues and the results of current issues.
1. The Elforche family wishes to buy a large plot of forest from the village. The funds would be very useful to the Elders, to help pay for the building of the roads and school, but it would mean that less forest is available to be commandeered for village use. If the Elders would need more wood than the common forest provided, they would need to buy wood from Elforche to use. That being said, the common forest is currently available for any commoner to use for their own purposes, and Elforche currently uses the common forest to get wood for their crafting resources; perhaps they will use their own private forest for this instead.
2. Northe, nominated by Asura, suggests a new style of rule, that would allow the common populace to suggest new laws to the council to vote upon. Obviously, this would need to be more than just one commoner flippantly suggesting to ban all chickens from the village, but perhaps a stipulation that a new law from the common people would need to garner a certain amount of followers before it could be considered. Advantages to this would be an increased involvement and morale of the general populace. A disadvantage would mean less power for the Village Elders, and a potential for unrest if a largely supported commoner law proposal is voted down by the Elders.
3. Northe also suggests an increase in numbers of populace trained in military skills. If the citizens are trained and disciplined, we will better be able to defend against the possibility of foreign assault, especially since we are now preparing to open up the road to the outside world. We could have volunteer training (which is what is more or less currently in place), or we could have some form of military conscription, to an extent and degree that would be decided upon by the Village Elders.
4. The Family of Asura wishes to build a tower to aid in the protection of Frye as a whole. We have several options available to us; to flatly decline; to allow Asura to do this but they must buy the land and supply the resources themselves, how they do that is up to them; or to completely accept, and give them land and resources from the Elders to use. Or any other suggestions can be thought up.
5. Something must be done about the religious dispute. The dispute of the Elders last month has caused chaos. We could attempt to use the militia to keep the peace via force, we could let the debate blow over in hopes it will go away, or we could come to a consensus and make another public statement. The commoners probably still respect the council enough that a unified statement could be adhered to. Or any other suggestions.
The powerful Families in Frye have been active as well, advancing their own ulterior motives, and the results are beginning to appear.
Elforche - Amiable Anvil Donation - 43
The Amiable Anvil accepts the donation, and uses it to invest in a larger building and some contracts with the western mine for resources to use in smithing. The outlook for the business is Slightly Positive.

Elforche - Anti-Militia Attitude - 1
The efforts of Elforche failed miserably. In attempting to garner an attitude of demilitarization, they instead managed to somehow convince the populace that they themselves were openly against the military authority, resulting in several arrests of members of Elforche by the village Guards, which cost Elforche a pretty penny to release. Elforche have inadvertently set themselves up as an open opponent to the village Guard, and the common people now slightly fear and slightly despise the family, despite their monetary wealth. This has also caused the side effect of lowlifes and criminals looking toward Elforche as a potential safe haven from punishment, and could have repercussions in the future...

Asura - Commoner Assistance - 50
The Family of Asura has gathered a benevolent aura as they became more involved with the individuals in the populace and aided them in their petty disputes and in their various crisis.

Lew - Commoner Assistance - 27
The Family of Lew was not as fortunate; many commoners saw their actions as condescending and an attempt to put their family in a position of direct authority over the populace. While some appreciated the aid, most either rejected it or developed a slight grudge against a family they thought was overbearing.

Lew - Start Farm - 89
The Lew family has successfully started a farm, using the domesticated insects and fruits that they discovered and tamed. They have started an orchard which will produce apples and pears, and a silk farm using a strange centipede-like creature that produces large amounts of silk upon maturity before floating away in the wind. They also have several beehives which will produce delicious honey in the coming seasons. The Lew family will need to decide how they are going to run the farm; they can either hire commoners to work there, or have their own family manage the farm.

Ferran - Proto-Guild Experiment - 21
The new-age business idea, while not a bad one, did not go well for The Ferran Family. Many of the commoners were stuck in the mindset of a hereditary industry, and were reluctant to send their children to another family to be employed there. Those who did have skill in smithing would often attempt to start their own business instead. One commoner was recruited, however; a young boy by the name of Cisse, who semed to have a proficiency in metalwork and a very strategic mind showed a lot of promise, and Ferran took him under their wing to teach him the art of blacksmithing.

Ferran - Forest Explorers - 58
The expedition of hired woodsmen turned out to be a good investment. A small patch of what appeared to be sturdy rocks was discovered within the forest, and the soil around them was quite thin; a promising site for a potential quarry. Currently the land is common land and can be used by anyone, giving the Ferran family the license to use the area (but also anyone else, as it currently belongs to the village).
In short, here are the things that families who have members in the village Elders can vote on:
1. Respond to Elforche's request (forest purchase).
2. May commoners suggest laws, yes or no?
3. Waht type, if any, of military training and conscription should there be?
4. Respond to Asura's request (tower).
5. Something must be done about the chaotic religious dispute.
We are commencing the second month. Note that major projects (such as the road, school, and mines) often take more than one month to complete. Progress will be reported at the next monthly meeting.

naturegirl1999

Post by naturegirl1999 » Wed May 23, 2018 7:48 pm

BakedToast wrote:
Wed May 23, 2018 4:10 pm

In short, here are the things that families who have members in the village Elders can vote on:
We are commencing the second month. Note that major projects (such as the road, school, and mines) often take more than one month to complete. Progress will be reported at the next monthly meeting.
1:No. The forest should remain usable by the entire village.
2:Yes. Commoners should be able to suggest laws because laws that commoners suggest would most likely be things that are actually affecting the commoners, as opposed to things that don't help the village, like purchasing public lands for private use.
3:Military training can be done with people who actually want to join the military. Forcing people who don't want to join will decrease our reputation and can cause rebellions to occur.
4:Asura can build the tower, if they use their own land and buy their own materials.
5:If we don't mention anything about religion for a while, people might stop quarreling. If not, we can make a unified statement to worship both Dabalia and Ud'hebba or either of them or none of them. We shouldn't force people one way or the other. Let this blow over.

General Actions
The Lew family will work the farm along with hiring commoners to work the farm IF they want to.

The Lew Family will also donate money and resources to the commoners without asking for anything in return.
I'm gonna put the last thing I copied here. Will change each time I visit for variety
Korobeiniki

Tiberius

Post by Tiberius » Wed May 23, 2018 8:29 pm

1. Yes, we'd like to set a precedent that allows us to buy the land for the quarry.
2. No, that seems like a good way to undermine the authority of the families.
3. Children from the family can potentially be trained as professional soldiers, along the lines of knights less horses. Commoners should be allowed to choose to become guards, who should receive a measure of military training, and efforts should be made to expand the guards but in an emergency, we should still be able to raise the village's levy.
4.If Asura is able to bear the entire burden of the raising the tower, then we say yes, but otherwise, we are spread too thin for another construction just yet.
5. Religous conflicts don't blow over. Family Ferran maintains course and continues to push for a statement about a unified religion.

Actions
House Ferran attempts to purchase the land for a potential quarry from the council in a similar manner to Elforche. This is in preparation to build a quarry sometime in the future. Hopefully, by the time this goes through, some of the other projects will finish allowing this one to start, under the efforts of the Ferrans. If not we can wait.

They propagandise the connection between the "criminal" Elforches and the amiable anvil, to frame their competitor as a criminal.

They make a donation of tools to a carpenter shop named the Comfortable Cabinet.

Burger Cat

Post by Burger Cat » Thu May 24, 2018 2:24 pm

BakedToast wrote:
Wed May 23, 2018 4:10 pm
1. I believe that the forest should be used by everyone and due to Elforche family recent actions made them being suspicious of the possible overthrow of the whole town, I will say no this request.
2. I believe that the commoners are a important part of the town, they should have the power to suggest laws, but we as the elders have the power to make it a law, or decline the law in general.
3. There should be a simple self-defense training for all citizens of Frye, but if they want to join the guard/military then that is there choice to make.
4. My family will gather the resources and build the tower by ourselves, the citizens can help if they want to help.
5. We must maintain to stabilize the religious conflict between the two religions to make Fyre to better place to be instead of pointless infighting over a concept that we believe in. Unified religion will be the best choice for us to go.

General Actions:
1. Members of the Asura family try to get larger animals for the Lew family to stuby if those animals can be domesticated for the best of the village.
2. The leader of Asura family does a public speak to the village to support the unification of the two religions.
3. Some of the Asura family members try to gather woods from the forest to get ready for the construction of the school.
4. Northe travel around the town to help any commoners that needs to have a check-ups for their health.

BakedToast

Post by BakedToast » Thu May 24, 2018 3:38 pm

The Elforche family cannot vote on current issues due to them not having a member of the town council; they can only hope that their nominated Elder, Marahie, will vote in a way they expect.

General Actions:

Elforche bribes several Ud'ehbaian priests to begin to fanatically promote the worship of Dabalia, decrying Ud'ehba as a false god.

Since no one has yet stepped forward, Elforche accepts the Elders' referendum to allow the eastern mines to be purchased privately. Elforche will purchase the mine from the village, and using their own resources to hire workers and also receive some labor conscripted from the militia, they will re-service the mine and reopen it for production. (Since this is an action that involves a response to the Village Elders, the roll will not determine whether or not Elforche is allowed to do such a thing, but rather how easily the beginning of the project will be.)

Elforche then hires several thieves to rob the Comfortable Cabinet (allowing them to keep whatever loot they find), in an attempt to sabotage Ferran's donation. They are told that if they are caught, they must claim they are doing it in the name of Ud'ehba.(Note that this is a sabotage action, and will not receive it's own roll; like a support action, it will affect the result of the action it was linked to.)