Burghers of Frye

Speculative evolution and forum games
BakedToast

Re: Burghers of Frye

Post by BakedToast » Mon Aug 20, 2018 1:52 pm

Tiberius wrote:
Mon Aug 20, 2018 8:10 am
DId the Unnamed Arson who can't follow directions get better at Arsony?
From Ferran's perspective, probably. Since his first real Arson was the Amiable Anvil, and he's managed to successfully burn down several buildings without leaving a trace of himself or where he went. Since no one accompanied him on his pyromaniac rampage in the previous month, Ferran can't be sure if his technique improved, or if he's just really good at escaping the scene of the crime.

Oh. And since you hired that Arson, feel free to give him a name.
"Greater than I, none. Less than I, none. For I am Chayrus. All shall be one, as I am."

naturegirl1999

Post by naturegirl1999 » Mon Aug 20, 2018 2:53 pm

1. How shall we respond to Ferran's marketplace request?
2. What statement shall we make about the skirmish between Asura and Elforche?
3. What statement shall we make about Northe, the Dark god, and the Medicants?

1. Lew will help with construction but the marketplace is still public property.

2. Salve the skirmish with the juidicial system like we do with other skirmishes

3. While the "Dark God" may be an issue, we can't allow one person to have complete control over what looks like a cult.

Events:

Lew tries to investigate what is causing the buildings to be burned.

Lew accepts Ferese's offer and pays him a large sum of money. (combining the library owner's price with Ferese's price)

Lew accepts Asura's offer to help with the public farms.

Lew tries to find how Shuldri could be escaping their enclosure and if finding a problem, they will try to fix it.

Lew has their best scientist, Olgo, teach science at the school.

If other families also get teachers for Science and History, the teachers Lew hires can work with them.

A member of Lew offers to listen to Aln's dream.

Lew tries to figure out why people are so distrustful of them when they genuinely want to help people.
I'm gonna put the last thing I copied here. Will change each time I visit for variety
Korobeiniki

BakedToast

Post by BakedToast » Mon Aug 20, 2018 3:45 pm

naturegirl1999 wrote:
Mon Aug 20, 2018 2:53 pm
"Ferese's"

Lew tries to find how Shuidri could be escaping their enclosure and if finding a problem, they will try to fix it.
It's Forese. Just wanted to clear that up, as I have a... feeling... he's going to be an important character. Keep your eye on that bloke.

As for the Shuidri "escaping", no need to investigate as Lew already knows what happened there. Before they realized how deadly the Shuidri were, they didn't have the area closed off, and back then many had escaped into the general village. After Lew sealed off their enclosure, they didn't think to search the common populace for Shuidri.
"Greater than I, none. Less than I, none. For I am Chayrus. All shall be one, as I am."

BakedToast

Post by BakedToast » Mon Aug 20, 2018 7:46 pm

The eighth month comes to a close. Many events of intrigue are having their seeds planted, and others are coming into full bloom. The village of Frye will taste the consequences of this soon...

The Elders have discussed the current issues, and their results are recorded here:

1. How shall we respond to Ferran's marketplace request?
Marahie: Agree with it. It will be beneficial.
Javen: Set aside an area in the village for a free marketplace.
Rolfe: Allow the marketplace, and give precedence to local vendors.
Bouhe: Lew offers funds for marketplace requisition, but insists the market reamins publicly owned. I'm inclined to agree.
Northe: A marketplace is important, but shouldn't be run by a centralized power.
Sefiam: A marketplace could be beneficial for Frye.
Final Vote: A unanimous agreement to allow the marketplace has been announced. The Village Elders set aside some resources, but a lot are provided by Lew as well, increasing their reputation with the populace. The market is opened, and precedence is given to local vendors first, and then to foreign sellers.
2. What statement shall we make about the skirmish between Asura and Elforche?
Marahie:None; we can't risk a power conflict between the two families.
Javen: Treat this as any skirmish, participants are judged as common criminals by the village guard. We will push for this, regardless of the council's Final Vote.
Rolfe: I think we should use the common criminal system to punish the attackers, but Elforche's security were merely defending their property.
Bouhe: Treat this as another skirmish, and the perpetrators like common criminals.
Northe: The Asura guards should be punished for the attack, not Elforche. Asura will handle this internally and will question them as to their motives.
Sefiam: We need more information as to what happened before we can pass a wise judgement.
Final Vote: After discussion, the Elders have decided that Elforche's security were not responsible for the fight, and that Asura's soldiers were. Whether or not they were ordered to act in this way by Asura, they are put in ward, until Asura will pay a large fine to the Village Elders for their release. Since this aligns with annell's wishes, they make no separate statement.
3. What statement shall we make about Northe, the Dark god, and the Medicants?
Marahie: None; we don't need extra conflict.
Javen: While the Dark god may not be simply swept under the rug, we mustn't allow a psuedo-religious cult to form.
Rolfe: We should declare the Medicants must pay a tax to Frye to carry out their religious business.
Bouhe: The "Dark god" isn't just some joke; but we can't let one man have so much power over a pseudo-cult.
Northe: The Dark god is just the start; we will help Frye with all supernatural ailments; and, we're not a cult.
Sefiam: There is only one god, Udebb'ha; these miscreants are misleading our people, and must be stopped!
Final Vote: After long discussion between Northe and the other Elders, with Northe insisting they're not a cult, and that he is not a powermonger, the Elders give Northe an ultimatum. Either he must step down from leading the Medicants alone, or he must step down from being a Village Elder. If he does not make a choice, the Elders will enforce the disbanding of the Medicant order, and have Northe replaced as Village Elder.

The powerful families in Frye have played the part of intrigue, and we see the results unfold below.
Tannell: -Assassination Investigation- 17
Tannell doesn't get far with the investigation. In fact, Asura is made fully aware that Tannell has been asking after them, trying to figure out where they were at the Festival in which Tiglam was assassinated.

Tannell: -Steel Grip- 7
During a test of tempering, when Tannell was trying to duplicate the process used to create the steel in the first place, a small fire broke out. Nothing major was damaged, but the sample of steel they had recieved was ruined. They must find another sample if they wish to continue their research...

Tannell: -Dark Arts- 74
After many investigations and interviews with those affected by the "Dark god", Tannell has concluded that [if it is not a divine being] it must be some sort of creature that is or acts nocturnally; thus it only affects people in their dreams. They've noticed that certain members of Lew also seem to be afflicted by the "Dark god" but they refuse to acknowledge it as such, and don't make a big deal out of it at all. Tannell has come to the conclusion that some kind of creature, domesticated by Lew, has escaped, and many of them are infesting the village. What Tannell does with this knowledge is up to them.

Tannell: -Eloquent Endings- 27
The Eloquent Oak construction has gone slowly, and while it was hoped to be finished halfway through the past month, it ended up not being finished until the end of the month. This coming month, it will be open and ready for residents.

Tannell + Lew: -Social Sciences- 20, -Handsome History- 69, -Superior Sciences- 75
Tannell sends an intelligent young woman of their family, Amonet, to teach in the school; however, as she is quite young, and inexperienced with handling large groups of children, the students become raucous and insubordinate. The young woman has a breakdown almost every other day, and can't handle teaching the children. Thankfully, Lew has also provided teachers for these subjects, and they begin teaching shortly after the children have begun to exploit Amonet. Forese is very sound and knowledgeable in history, and his deep voice and swarthy black skin commandeer respect from the children as he and Amonet teach history. Olgo teaches science alongside Amonet, and the children, while tempted to cause trouble, fear that Olgo might perform "experiments" on misbehaving children, due to his eccentric mannerisms when teaching.

Asura: -Internal Investigations- 56
The squadron of imprisoned Asura soldiers doesn't take kindly to being imprisoned, and they infrom the higher ranking members of Asura that come to visit them of this. They were ordered by Asura directly to do this, they say. Asura wanted to secure more metal for Ferran, as they were told. Sure, things didn't go well, but they were acting with good intentions on behalf of Asura. They ask Asura to have them released.

Asura: -Teenage Infatuations- 33
Still a social recluse, Ains has moved away from the rest of the family, into a small shack on the corner of one of Asura's estates, where he wakes up each morning with a soaking wet bed. He attempts to build a shrine on the property to this strange [seemingly non-human] erotic entity, but other members of Asura forbid him to do it, and tear it down, saying they are trying to help him.

Asura: -Medicant Mending- 81
The Medicant order branches out to include traditional doctoring as well, and uses herbs and other treatments to aid in small diseases. Serious diseases cannot be treated due to the Medicants lack of expertise, but the village currently does not have a hospital, so the Medicants do their best to help. Salt, thanks to Tannell, is used liberally for many ailments.

Asura: -Medicant Magnification- 63
The Medicants travel in threes throughout the village of Frye, going to the homes of those rumored to be afflicted, and treating them. In many cases, the victims are cured. People are thankful to the Medicants.

Asura: -Northe's Neutralizing- 93
In a public ceremony of great pomp and display, Northe makes a speech that he defies the Dark god, and then has himself immersed in near-scalding water for almost two minutes. The crowd cheers, and Northe re-emerges, gasping for breath. Northe then publicly commends the Medicants for their good work, and heartily recommends that the populace follow him, if they wish to be free of the Dark god. Many people avow their allegiance to Northe; he accepts people of any religion, and followers of Northe incorporate the Dark god as an evil deity into their religion, cursing and reviling it as an evil thing.

Asura: -Tactical Recruiting- 7
No one steps forward to fill Xing's place as Tactics teacher in the school. As such, the students have gone without tactical training for two months now.

Asura: -Killer Questions- 13
The member of Asura who confessed to the deed is unwilling to shed light on the situation, and only asks to be put to death for his dishonour. He pleads to Asura to do this, and to put him out of his misery privately, so he is not publicly disgraced.

Asura: -Watchtower Work- 60
There are a decent amount of guards and others who are willing to take up the positions as lookout and scouts, as these are relatively easy tasks. From the high vantage point, the lookouts can see the whole of Frye, and small columns of chimney smoke in the distance where the villages of Shaake and Donu are.

Asura: -Community Crops- 75 (Result aided by another player)
Members of both Asura and Lew work hard to begin a public farm where people can grow their own crops. The populace are receptive to the idea, especially the urban poor, who don't own much open land. Both Asura and Lew enjoy increased reputation because of this.

Ferran: -Indigo Ibex Grand Opening- 20
With much celebration, the Indigo Ibex is opened to customers, and a large banner for Ferran Stonework is placed over the door of the inn. However, a fight breaks out during the festivities between a several drunken men, and the rest of the crowd begins to riot. Dabalians Fight Udebbha'ians, followers of Northe fight those who don't believe in the Dark god, and people in general unleash their rage at those they have a grudge against. Nothing is majorly damaged, and after some touch-up work, the Indigo Ibex is still ready for residents. It was, however, not a good foot to start off with.

Ferran: -Magical Marvels- 85
Nola begins to garner a small income with a sideshow near the Indigo Ibex, where she has set up a small tent, and wows customers with her "magical talent". She turns water into wine, causes dead fish to leap out of frying pans as if alive, and casues people to be lit on fire but not become burnt. She shows great potential to impress many of the common folk.

Ferran: -Casthor's the Culprit- 7
Ferran's attempt to pin the arsons on Casthor fails miserably, as Casthor decries Ferran's unethical ways publicly. He incites a riot, blaming Ferran for the Arson, and a large number of commoners who have held grudges against Ferran for a while, including the owner of the Amiable Anvil and his friends, rush with one accord upon the Ferran spokesperson, badly injuring him. They then assault the Ferran Blacksmith shop, causing serious damage, and stealing many half-finished metalworks. The forge will need to be repaired before it can be workable again.

Lew: -Immolation Investigation- 35
At the scenes of the crimes, not much can be found in the way of clues. Whoever burnt the buildings was very good at hinding their tracks.

Lew: -Dream Divination- 56
Ains explains his dreams to the woman Lew sent to him, describing the slimy female figure in lusty tones, and how she must be some lofty being, above humans, commanding him to change his name. It seems quite bizarre, and perhaps even nonsensical, but it doesn't appear to be a Shuidri infection. Whether the visions are a product of mere hormonal fantasy or actual spiritual meddlings with the boy, Lew cannot tell.

Lew: -Satisfaction Survey- 10
The populace is not receptive to Lew's inquiries, and reputation does not change.

New Issues:
1. Ferran requests to privately fund a yearly festival for the celebration of Craftsmanship. Festivals are in general positive, and boost morale amongst the populace; however, it is noted that this would give Ferran more power, as people may feel indebted to them for this generous act.
Notable Events:
1. The Eloquent Oak is finished construction by Tannell.

2. The School of Frye:
Cirriculums in place are Science, History, Medicine, and Literacy. Desired cirriculums are Tactics.
Students seem to perform averagely in school; the recent major changes in cirriculums takes getting used to, and the students performance has dropped temporarily until they are used to the new system.
The Medicine class is going well.
The Science class is going well; students are taught well by Olgo and Amonet, and as long as Olgo is present, Amonet does not have students terrorizing her.
The History class is going slightly less well; Forese is an amazingly knowledgeable teacher and commands respect, but the students are distracted by the fact that he has clearly swept Amonet off her feet; she is mainly his assistant, but spends most of her time admiring his physique, which the students find amusing. However, the students are still learning well and many have greater knowledge of history than their underschooled parents.
The Literacy Class is the highest performing class in the school. The success rate of the students in literacy is nearly 100%, and those very talented learners who have been attending Armanus' extracirricular classes are masters at reading, writing, and literary art creating, such as poetry. Some have begun to write plays, which they hope to perform on a stage one day, as Armanus has taught them of plays and playwrights. Armanus has begun sending the children of his extra-cirricular classes home with small parchments with obscure writings on them, encouraging the children to read and study this new material.

3. Northe has received an ultimatum from the Village Elders. Asura and perhaps other families may attempt to sway him one way or another. [but bear in mind he isn't a drone, and won't blindly follow Asura's commands anymore, especially since he holds so much power.]

4. Casthor, the man condemned by Ferran, has managed to gather a small following. These miscreants, undesirables, and malcontents unite under his banner of general disrespect towared the powerful families, Ferran in particular; they roam the streets daily, harassing merchants and trying to obstruct operations by Ferran in general. The village guard has kept an eye on them and has made several arrests, but the group is too centralized for the guards to dismantle without an all-out skirmish taking place; thus, the village guard has refrained from doing so.

5. A group of more vocal Dabalians has begun lobbying Asura for a temple to be built; Asura had promised them this several months ago, but no action has yet been taken.

In short, here are the issues the Village Elders can vote on:
1. Ferran-funded yearly craftsmanship festival, yes or no?

The ninth month is descending upon Frye. With luck, a month of restoration and balance, but recall that events of intrigue are unfolding...

(OOC: I know I mentioned that the reports would be less frequent; I don't plan on being this rapid every time, but I had a lot of free time today, and thought, why not? Hope you all are enjoying the game!)

Guineapig004

Post by Guineapig004 » Mon Aug 20, 2018 8:45 pm

BakedToast wrote:
Mon Aug 20, 2018 7:46 pm
In short, here are the issues the Village Elders can vote on:
1. Ferran-funded yearly craftsmanship festival, yes or no?
The ninth month is descending upon Frye. With luck, a month of restoration and balance, but recall that events of intrigue are unfolding...

(OOC: I know I mentioned that the reports would be less frequent; I don't plan on being this rapid every time, but I had a lot of free time today, and thought, why not? Hope you all are enjoying the game!)
(OOC: I love this game!!!!)

No, I do not agree with the festival. With the group led by Castor constantly trying to harm the Ferran family, we could have a disaster.
[----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------]

Go to Cisse, and explain how we destroyed are sample of steel. Answer any questions with complete honesty. Try and purchase another sample.

Continue to investigate the Asura family for the assassination.

Confront the family of Lew about their escaped creatures.

Open the Eloquent Oak for business. Invite the important people in the village, such as the Village Elders and the bailiff.

If Northe accepts the invitation to come to our inn, try and convince him to peacefully step down as leader. Explain to him that it is too much power, and that he may create a cult whether he wants it or not. If he refuses, encourage the other families to not go easy on him.
Last edited by Guineapig004 on Mon Aug 20, 2018 9:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"And fear struck the hearts of the dodos, as they realized they were being watched..."

Guineapig004

Post by Guineapig004 » Mon Aug 20, 2018 8:46 pm

Can't seem to delete this post.
Last edited by Guineapig004 on Mon Aug 20, 2018 9:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"And fear struck the hearts of the dodos, as they realized they were being watched..."

Tiberius

Post by Tiberius » Mon Aug 20, 2018 8:50 pm

Demand compensation from casthor and his thugs, when that fails, ask the council to force them to give it.
Begin work on repairing the forge
Burn down the Elforche Forest, PREPARE THE ARSON MAN SYMBOL
Get Nola to focus on practicing the fire magic(the kind that burns people) and the making things move magic
Offer to step in and build a STONE CHURCH for the Dahbalians
Build Stone Houses free of charge to replace the ones that ARSON MAN burned down.

Can you tell that I've been sleep deprived for a while now?

BakedToast

Post by BakedToast » Mon Aug 20, 2018 9:25 pm

Guineapig004 wrote:
Mon Aug 20, 2018 8:46 pm
We will go to the Amiable Anvil, and explain how we destroyed our sample of steel. Answer any questions with complete honesty.

Confront the family of Lew about their escaped creatures.
Tannell got their steel sample from Cisse, who is now preoccupied with political duties as a Bailiff. The Amiable Anvil was burnt down by Ferran an unknown arson, so even if they knew how to make steel, they wouldn't be able to help here.

Confronting Lew is something Lew will have to respond to on their turn. If their response is non-cooperative to yours, then a report will be written for it.

(OOC: Just a heads up, you double posted. Feel free to delete at least one of your posts, or at the very least make it blank.)

Tiberius wrote:
Mon Aug 20, 2018 8:50 pm
Can you tell that I've been sleep deprived for a while now?
And here I thought you were just being funny, haha

I want an opinion on a new system I have planned to implement here. As Cisse is the new Bailiff, and is very willing to work with the powerful families, what do you all think of the idea that each month, each family may submit a small report (A sentence, maybe two at most, kind of like a Council vote, which may or may not be biased or even untrue) to Cisse, to report to him on the recent happenings of the village, and of these things, he may [or may not] report them to Count Adaarn, or take Bailiff-level action based on these reports? I won't do it this month, but I'm thinking about trying it for next month.

Guineapig004

Post by Guineapig004 » Mon Aug 20, 2018 9:43 pm

(OOC: Sure, the report idea sounds good.)

Burger Cat

Post by Burger Cat » Mon Aug 20, 2018 9:58 pm

Votes: 1. Ferran-funded yearly craftsmanship festival, yes or no?

Northe Decision on the votes: I believes that the festival can take place on a smaller scale, but I do support it nevertheless.

Events of the month:

The Asura family will begin the construction of the church for the Dahbalians with support of the Ferran Family and Northe Medicants.

Ains dreams have become more intense, seeing his beloved have become more clearer with her looks and being linked with the storms itself. Ains will try to run away from the Asura and the village to meets with his beloved in the forest.

Northe have forms a compromise with the elders, he will still remain as a village elder. But will weaken his power as the grand leader of the Medicant order and will create separate branches for the medicants to focus on with their own leaders "which will be called Primarchs."

Medicants will create special outfits for themselves to identify eachother. "The designs of the outfits will be bright yellow coloured cloak that surrounds the whole body, while wearing a white crow mask similar to witch doctors."

Xijin will continue to improve his relationship with Lenora.

Northe will accept the invite for the Eloquent Oak and will reveal his plan for the compromise.

Ains will try to develops magic through his dreams with his beloved.

Xing will free the Asura Soldiers from prison with his own money to support that these people were wrongly attack by the Elforche for only wanting metal for our ally. "He will do it without Xijin permission."

Asura family will continue to construct the public farm.

(OOC: I do like the idea for our elders reporting to the bailiff.)