Tiberius

Re: Burghers of Frye (New)

Post by Tiberius » Sun May 20, 2018 9:32 pm

BakedToast wrote:
Sat May 19, 2018 4:42 am

Tiberius wrote:
Fri May 18, 2018 10:26 pm
Ferran migrated to Frye...
Interesting. Although the family is young, I would assume that they've still been here long enough that the younger members of the family don't know much at all about their foreign heritage?
I'd imagine that the younger generation has assimilated for the most part, but stories about their heritage and some traditions have stuck around.

BakedToast

Post by BakedToast » Mon May 21, 2018 12:43 am

Alright everyone, I think 4 powerful families should be enough to get moving. I’m going to allow another day or so in case more players want to create powerful families, but after that if people want to join they will play as specific... individuals that I will give them the option to choose from.
Hopefully tomorrow or the day after I will be posting the first turn, and giving a re-cap if how turns will be laid out, using Elforche as an example family.
"Greater than I, none. Less than I, none. For I am Chayrus. All shall be one, as I am."

Burger Cat

Post by Burger Cat » Mon May 21, 2018 1:42 am

Family of Asura are the honourable warriors of Frye that has been the main infantry/calvary for several ages since the formation of Frye. They are most commonly known for helping out common people with many different tasks like protection, hunting, and fighting against bandits/other criminals. Asura are respectful toward the other families and believed that all families should the help Frye one way or the other. The honour code is the main ideology of the Asura people; believing that all Asura equally against the enemy and dying from an honourable death is the best ways that a member of the Asura should do. The family of Asura are actually a small family that has been somewhat weakened over the years due to the weakening military.

The Asura family are going to elect a family member that wanted to improve upon the problems that Frye does currently face and work together with the citizens of the village. This family member is known to be a priest "believed in Dabaliah" of the village shrines that has supported citizens that has gotten lost or has been sicken by diseases.

naturegirl1999

Post by naturegirl1999 » Mon May 21, 2018 4:30 am

I created a goddess named Dabalia in another forum game.
I'm gonna put the last thing I copied here. Will change each time I visit for variety
Korobeiniki

BakedToast

Post by BakedToast » Mon May 21, 2018 2:41 pm

naturegirl1999 wrote:
Mon May 21, 2018 4:30 am
I created a goddess named Dabalia in another forum game.
I’m aware... I did mention that this game is a bit... unconventional. If you read the “Religious” section in the original post, you’ll find some interesting notes...

If you want to know more about what's going on, read the spoiler below. If you prefer to be in a bit more suspense/confusion, feel 100% free to skip it, as it doesn't give any in-game advantage :)
The world of Frye is actually a spin-off of the World of Itzan, and while the two forum games are most certainly not canon to each other, events from Itzan can and may bleed into Burghers of Frye (although my game will not bleed into Itzan unless it's creator decides to do so; after all, my game is a much smaller scope). Frye exists in an advanced version of the world of Itzan, with its population being proto-medieval rather than stone-aged, and as the turn cycle is much quicker (1 month vs 15 years), events might not always line up. But, Frye is simply one village, and most likely won't experience a vast amount of the world events of Itzan.
"Greater than I, none. Less than I, none. For I am Chayrus. All shall be one, as I am."

naturegirl1999

Post by naturegirl1999 » Mon May 21, 2018 7:11 pm

Thank you. I think this is interesting that you are incorporationg events from one forum game into another.
I'm gonna put the last thing I copied here. Will change each time I visit for variety
Korobeiniki

BakedToast

Post by BakedToast » Mon May 21, 2018 11:07 pm

naturegirl1999 wrote:
Mon May 21, 2018 7:11 pm
Thank you. I think this is interesting that... etc
Please put your spoiler in a spoiler tag :) otherwise people who didn’t want to know will read your post right afterward...

BakedToast

Re: Burghers of Frye (1st Month)

Post by BakedToast » Tue May 22, 2018 5:22 am

(All right, posting the first turn.)

Frye has been quite stagnant in the past while, but that is about to change. The five powerful families -- Elforche, Tannell, Ferran, Lew, and Asura -- have nominated members to the village Elders, who will now discuss matters of major note to the village.

The members of the Village Elders:
Marahie, a gifted commoner nominated by Elforche
Javen, a family member nominated by the Family of Tannell
Casthor, a family member nominated by the Ferran Family
Bouhe, a family member nominated by the Family of Lew
Northe, a family member nominated by the Family of Asura
Sefiam, an elderly commoner who has had a place in the council for years
Tiglam, a commoner who is allegedly a relative of the Count himself
(Commoners will vote based on their personal biases, not necessarily according to the family's wishes.)
Several topics are up for debate amongst the Elders:

1: Firstly, Javen, nominated by the Family of Tannell, proposes that any quarrel larger than a major dispute should be dealt with by the village Elders. This proposal is discussed amongst the Elders; one major dissent has been brought up, and that is that many issues could be swifter dealt with by a mediating party or at worst the city guard, rather than waiting for the monthly assembly of the Elders to solve disputes. However, this proposal is legal and therefore may be voted on.

2: Casthor, nominated by the Ferran Family, proposes that plans be made for the road to the castle to be cleared, so that more traffic may enter the village of Frye, and that Frye may have a place in the county's economy once more. The pros are obvious to all the Elders, being, advanced economy and trade. The cons were brought up by some of the Elders, being that perhaps being once again discovered could also bring a negative presence to Frye, in the form of the Count perhaps taxing the village and conscripting young men for military service abroad. This proposal is legal and may be voted on.

3. Bouhe, nominated by the Family of Lew, proposes that plans be made for a school of natural studies, which would educate the village on the ways of the local animals and plants, and human functions as well. Education is always important, and the Elders see that. However, some on the board do not believe that natural studies should be the primary subject taught at the school, and thus the proposal is cast to open vote.

4. A general consensus has agreed that something should be done about the abandoned mines to the east of the village. The western mines are already in production, and procure a decent amount of iron, salt, and coal, but the abandoned mines are a potential liability since people could get injured or even killed venturing into them and getting lost. Several proposals came up from the general council, including boarding up the openings entirely, or re-opening the mine, if the manpower and funds could be found to do that. The council is open to suggestions about the mines, and once all the possible options are compiled and discussed, a vote could take place.

5. The strange religion of Dabalia has caused no small stir in Frye. The village Elders must make a statement regarding the religion, whatever that statement may be. There will be an open consensus for the Elders to discuss what they think of this new belief and whether it will positively or negatively affect the village, and what should be done about it.

In short, things the families can vote on:
Semi-Major disputes to village Elders, yes or no?
Clear the road to the castle, yes or no? If yes, where will the manpower come from?
Build a school for natural studies, yes or no? If yes, where will the resources come from?
Suggest solutions (or support others' solutions) for the abandoned eastern mines.
Suggest a reaction for the Elders to take regarding the Dabalian religion.
Now the first turn may commence.

The families that have members in the Village Elders may vote directly on the above issues, or suggest alternative solutions. They may also make new proposals for all to vote upon.

All families may also take generic actions based upon what they want done in the village. Naturally, these things might cost them their funds, manpower, resources, or more, to accomplish.

(I will be giving several days for each turn; hopefully each player will have a chance to post their action in that time frame. Below I will be posting an example turn using Elforche as an example.)

BakedToast

Post by BakedToast » Tue May 22, 2018 5:33 am

Elforche cannot vote on the town council, as they did not nominate a family member, They can only hope that their nominee will vote how they expected him to.

Using their accrued resources, Elforche seeks to buy large plots of land consisting of dense forest that currently belong to the village of Frye, so that those parts of the forest will belong strictly to them. They will approach the village Elders with the proposal, hoping that they will gladly accept, for they will have more funds with which to pursue other projects. (Note: this action mentions that the Village Elders will be approached. This is fine, but it means that the other families who have members in the Village Elders may vote to sway their response, for whatever reason they please.)

Elforche also attempts to make a "friendly donation" to a start-up blacksmith, the "Amiable Anvil", who coincidentally happens to be a potential competitor to the Ferran Family.

Elforche then helps to spread an attitude of negativity towards the village guards, and speaks of "demilitarizing" the town entirely, since they are so isolated and forgotten by the world.

Guineapig004

Post by Guineapig004 » Tue May 22, 2018 5:51 am

BakedToast wrote:
Tue May 22, 2018 5:22 am
Semi-Major disputes to village Elders, yes or no?
Clear the road to the castle, yes or no? If yes, where will the manpower come from?
Build a school for natural studies, yes or no? If yes, where will the resources come from?
Suggest solutions (or support others' solutions) for the abandoned eastern mines.
Suggest a reaction for the Elders to take regarding the Dabalian religion.[/spoiler]
1. Yes.
2. No. We do not need the poorly thought out choices of other empires.
3. Yes. We need better education. We can supply the resources by using the abandoned mines.
4. We can rebuild the mine to make it useable again. Many of our families members are proficient and planning. We should be able to figure out how to reconstruct it. Once complete, we can make use of the resources to improve the town, and supply the materials and underground specimens for the school.
5. Don't bother with it, people feel happier when they have something to believe in. We should keep an eye on it though, don't want it getting to influential...
"And fear struck the hearts of the dodos, as they realized they were being watched..."