Burghers of Frye

Speculative evolution and forum games
Tiberius

Re: Burghers of Frye

Post by Tiberius » Tue Jun 05, 2018 5:25 pm

Ferran wwould like to buy the iron from elforche
Ferran would like to begin setting up the quarry
Ferran attempts to plant evidence of Casthor's misdeeds

Can't Vote, but I would like to note that a standing army of 5% of the working population in the medieval era is absurd. No count could support that. Its fantasy and all so do whatever but its still weird.

Guineapig004

Post by Guineapig004 » Tue Jun 05, 2018 8:12 pm

BakedToast wrote:
Tue Jun 05, 2018 3:09 pm
Just waiting for the Ferran family and the Tannell Family to respond, and we'll be ready for the results of the fifth month, a month of foreboding and darkness...
(OOC: I already posted :lol: . No hard feelings.)
Last edited by Guineapig004 on Wed Jun 06, 2018 12:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
"And fear struck the hearts of the dodos, as they realized they were being watched..."

naturegirl1999

Re: Burghers of Frye (5th Month)

Post by naturegirl1999 » Tue Jun 05, 2018 8:27 pm

Guineapig004 wrote:
Mon Jun 04, 2018 9:25 pm
BakedToast wrote:
Fri Jun 01, 2018 2:52 pm

In short, here are the issues to be voted upon by the Elders:
1. How shall we respond to Count Adaarn's demands?
2. Shall we hire this teacher at his competetive cost to teach relevant literacy?
3. What, if any, statement shall we make at the Emancipation Festival?
1. We tell the count of an "ancient spirit" that requires sacrifices. We tell him that it "requires" some rare metals, to appease it of course. Otherwise, it will devastate the outlying areas. (OOC: You probably understand this already. We are tricking him into trading with us :lol: !) We will agree to the count's previous "trade".
2. Have the newcomer prove his skills, with a difficult test. If he succeeds, he will be honored, and be payed to teach at the school. If he fails, he will be fined, and kicked out of our lands.
3. We shall attend the festival. We shall take a neutral stance. We shall state the facts, and we will remind them that the elders will not let anyone harm them.

The Family of Tannell shall appoint one of the knowledgeable members of their family to teach in the school, free of charge.

They shall also research ways to improve medicine.

They shall flatter Cisse and tell him that it will just be for research. They tell him that they will share their findings on how to improve the quality of "steel" to him immediately.
Yep, Tannel has stated their actions
I'm gonna put the last thing I copied here. Will change each time I visit for variety
Korobeiniki

BakedToast

Post by BakedToast » Tue Jun 05, 2018 8:37 pm

Tiberius wrote:
Tue Jun 05, 2018 5:25 pm
Can't Vote, but I would like to note that a standing army of 5% of the working population in the medieval era is absurd. No count could support that. Its fantasy and all so do whatever but its still weird.
I agree. Count Adaarn, who didn’t know of the villages existence at all before today, is making absurd demands for his own gains, will the village capitulate and suffer immensely, or negotiate for a more reasonable agreement?

(Apologies about Tannell, I read it but somehow forgot. I’ll work on the turn report later today and things will progress...)
"Greater than I, none. Less than I, none. For I am Chayrus. All shall be one, as I am."

BakedToast

Post by BakedToast » Wed Jun 06, 2018 3:02 pm

(OOC: Turn report took longer than expected, as I've been working on it for two hours this morning and am not finished. I need to go to work, but I should be able to have the report up by tonight. Apologies once again for the wait, but I promise you that this turn report will be worth it! Lots of stuff went down...)
"Greater than I, none. Less than I, none. For I am Chayrus. All shall be one, as I am."

Guineapig004

Post by Guineapig004 » Wed Jun 06, 2018 8:24 pm

BakedToast wrote:
Wed Jun 06, 2018 3:02 pm
(OOC: Turn report took longer than expected, as I've been working on it for two hours this morning and am not finished. I need to go to work, but I should be able to have the report up by tonight. Apologies once again for the wait, but I promise you that this turn report will be worth it! Lots of stuff went down...)
(OOC: Great job! You do these so fast, your like the Flash!)

*I do not own the name "Flash" or any of its connotations. Please don't sue me DC.
"And fear struck the hearts of the dodos, as they realized they were being watched..."

BakedToast

Post by BakedToast » Thu Jun 07, 2018 3:05 pm

The Fifth month has come to a close; in this month, there was much change for Frye; and we shall see what is to become of the village, and hopefully, guide it on a better path.

The Elders have discussed current issues, and the results are recorded here:
1. How shall we respond to count Adaarn's demands?
Marahie: Capitulate. We must avoid conflict at all costs.
Javen: Attempt to con Count Adaarn, for he doesn't know much about our locale.
Cisse: Refuse his absurd demands! We have the ability to hold our own.
Bouhe: Accept Count Adaarn's demands, to prevent conflict.
Northe: Northe remains neutral, according to Asura's wishes.
Sefiam: It would be wisest to agree with the Count, at least for now.
Final Vote: The Elders were conflicted, but ultimately agreed to the Count's demands. They received a message from the Count as well that he was going to slacken the demands, and instead of the conscription of soldiers being for his own personal army, they would serve Frye, and aid in civil projects like construction, unless the Count were to need them for Battle.
2. Shall we hire this teacher at his competitive cost to teach relevant literacy?
Marahie: I see no reason why not.
Javen: This teacher must prove himself in a difficult test first, with reward or punishment.
Cisse: Hmm... yes... I think this teacher will be... useful... for our village.
Bouhe: Yes, his knowledge will be important, especially in trade.
Northe: Yes, the teacher will be helpful at the school.
Sefiam: Since we need high quality literacy, yes we will hire him.
Final Vote: A vast majority of the Elders agreed to hire this Armanus to teach literacy in their school. Although Armanus is quite darker-skinned than most of the populace, wears a strange amulet, and is rumored to never sleep, he does well teaching in the school. After observing some of his courses, the Elders realize that his teaching is concise, accurate, and relevant, and that Armanus does indeed know his information, despite the odd rumors that are spreading about Armanus' half brother...
3. What, if any, statement shall we make at the emancipation festival?
Marahie: We need to avoid conflict. Perhaps we can curry Tiglam's favour instead of discrediting him?
Javen: Attend the festival, take neutral stance. Present the Elders in a factual, reassuring light.
Cisse: We have the population behind us, even with this festival. We could use it to rally against our new Bailiff, and reinstate the Elders as absolute authority.
Bouhe: Discredit Tiglam and validate the Elders, who actually care for the populace.
Northe: Agree with Bouhe, but remind the populace that they can also present laws.
Sefiam: I don't think there's any reason to cause trouble at this festival. We still have the hearts of the people.
Final Vote: The Elders were too conflicted to make a unified statement, but due to the repercussions of the last time this was the case, they decided to make no statement. The Elders individually carried out their views on a personal level with the populace, and found that they did indeed still have the hearts of the people.
The powerful families in Frye have not refrained from action either:
Lew: -Shuidri Satiating- 71
The Family of Lew successfully pens in their Shuidri Silk farm, avoiding suspicion under the guise of keeping their livestock inside, as they raise a large apiary covering over the entire area where the Shuidri are kept. Because the Shuidri don't act as a cohesive community, each individual Shuidri is captured upon maturity in small cage, and placed by the bedside of a Lew family member. Unable to escape, they use that family member as a host, until they are ready to multiply, when they are released back into the farm to lay their eggs. The problem with this is that a lot of the Lew family members are now "afflicted" byt the Shuidri, either recieving repeated nightmares, or fulfilling bizaree goals in order to appease the Shuidri. It won't be long before each Lew family member might need to support five Shuidri each, or more, which could spell disaster. Thankfully, Lew knows what is going on, and can potentially assess the situation to more effectively farm Shuidri.

Lew: -Eastern Mine Exploration- 75 (Roll voided by another player)
Since Lew wanted to enter the mines legally, and Elforche will not allow them to do so until they agree to their stipulations (all discoveries are property of Elforche), they must first either capitulate to Elforche's demands, or find another way to get into the mines without "asking" to enter legally...

Lew: -Weapons in the Woods- 40
Armed members of Lew and some Militia owned by Asura venture out into the woods to investigate what may have happened to the other explorers. They find some torn clothes, caked with dried blood, but no bodies or even traces of blood anywhere near the clothes. It's almost as if the clothes were intentionally left somewhere they'd be found. Spooked, the men headed home. No one was harmed, but not much information was gained.

Asura(Festival): -Tiglam's the Target- 77, -Festival Wedding- 84, -Demands of Democracy- 24
The day of the Festival came upon the populace. Much merry-making was made in the town square, and the people rejoiced greatly at the union of Xijin and Lenora, and the mutual respect that Elforche and Asura displayed during the ceremnoy. They said their vows one to another, and people could see that although the marriage was arranged, both bride and groom were happy to be united. During the celebration afterward, Tiglam stood before the crowd to make a speech, guarded by a few of Count Adaarn's men. As Tiglam began his speech, he mentioned the newly-wed couple as an example of Frye's new allegiance to the Count, and it's benevolent Bailiff; when he mentioned about how the village was once weaker than it is now, a prominent member of Asura made his way to the stage, and attempted to interrupt the speech. He punched one of the guards in the face, knocking him out, and yelled out that Tiglam was a selfish rat, before several guards dragged him away, creating a large stir in the crowd and some confused looks from members of Elforche and the other families. Then the guards noticed, in different areas of the crowd, black robed people who looked like they were carrying weapons. Suddenly, an arrow whizzed through the air, striking Tiglam in the gut. He crippled in pain, and another arrow sheared into his arm; Tiglam now had a double dose of the poison in his system. The crowd erupted into chaos, and people fled. The guards rushed into the crowd, attempting to locate the killers, but they had dropped their robes and weapons and were indistinguishable from the populace. As Xijin and Lenora tried to flee the scene together, a guard attempted to arrest Xijin in a back alley, sword drawn. In a quick motion, Lenora drew her dagger and slammed it through the guard's neck, killing him instantly. Xijin was shocked, but there was no time to stew over the fact that his new wife was a stone cold killer, as they fled to their home. The powerful families held their dignity, and retreated from the scene. Tiglam died several days later from the poison, as there was too much in his system to cure, in spite of "efforts" to save him from Tannell and Lew; but he managed to have a letter written to the count about the insubordination of the wealthy class of Frye before his demise. The Asura man that interrupted the speech is currently under house arrest (powerful family members are too noble to be in common jail), and is being questioned regularly to obtain more information. The populace isn't sure what to think; some speculate that Asura had Tiglam assassinated, but others reason that then they wouldn't have interrupted the speech.

Asura: -Northe's investigation- 72
After continuing his investigations, Northe suddenly begins to see the dark deity in his dreams. A human-like form, with glowing purple eyes, oily skin, and tentacles for a mouth, this "deity" encourages Northe to follow His guidance, act against his own family, and become great.

Asura: -Watchtower Construction- 46
Construction continues, but slowly, due to other... events... that Asura was involved in this month. The watchtower is about 2/3rds done.

Elforche: -Mine Museum- 100
The museum is a great success. People from all around the village flock to see the strange bones and pots, generating Elforche a sizable sum of revenue. Everyone wonders where they came from, to which Elforche doesn't have clear answer, but encourages everyone to come back another time as well once they have more information!

Elforche: -Bone Charms- 42
The fortune teller con artist manages to impress some people, but not to the point where the crowd is entranced by their actions. No major revenue is generated, but a few superstiotous people adhere to the fortune teller's sayings.

Elforche: -Amiable Anvil- 48
Amiable Anvil accepts the donation, and uses it for the growth of their industry.

Tannell: -Medicine- 40
The study of medicine is progressing slowly, no major discoveries have yet been made.

Tannell: -Steel Justly- 94
Cisse is greatly flattered by the actions of Tannell, and agrees to lend them large amounts of his early forms of "Proto-Steel", for study by Tannell. He's not sure what they'll get out of it, but he's happy to do it if it will make him profit.

Ferran: -Quarry Query- 81
Ferran's Quarry construction goes extremely well, and will most likely be finished by the end of next month.

Ferran: -Frame Casthor- 17
Ferran attempts to give rise to evidence that justifies their action of replacing him to the Elders. Frankly, no one sees their point, since Casthor was once a respected member of the Ferran family and is now an outcast, plotting revenge. No one sees the point of outing Casthor as Elder, since Ferran couldn't come up with undeniable evidence of his misdeeds. He has garnered some support from the populace against Ferran, and has approached the Amiable Anvil, offering techniques to aid in their business to compete with Ferran.
Family Details: In an attempt to make things more clear, here is a basic chart that compares the families to each other, and gives each of them an basis for their actions next turn.
Elforche---
Reputation: In general neutral, was negative, but their extravagant show at the festival and their wedding of Lenora, a woman of the people, aided their reputation slightly.
Resources: Elforche's wealth is becoming stable, due to the attraction the museum has been garnering, and it is also a great place to sell wooden crafts and bone replicas as souvenirs, and the mines now producing iron which Ferran happily buys at a reduced cost compared to the western mines. The silver and Copper are traded into the new market of other villages via merchants.

Tannell---
Reputation: Slightly positive, as they have been teaching the populace techniques about salt preservation and other things that they can do for advantages.
Resources: Limited resources, innovations have been slow, but they did receive a good-sized sum of money from Lew recently.

Lew---
Reputation: In the areas near Lew, reputation is poor due to the "nightmares" and strange dream creatures. Elsewhere in the town, They seem mostly neutral.
Resources: The silk produced by Lew, now accessible to other villages via merchants, has generated Lew a decent income stream due to it's high quality.

Ferran---
Reputation: Mostly Neutral, but growing suspicion due to outing Casthor, who has been attempting to rally the populace against Ferran.
Resources: Monetary Wealth is stable, but less than it was, due to the investing into the Quarry, and the increased competition from the Amiable Anvil, who has Casthor's support.

Asura---
Reputation: Slight positivity from Dabalian supporters, and from those in the military, and those near the new watchtower. For the rest, people fear and suspect Asura, due to the... events... that occurred at the festival.
Resources: Limited resources due to a low-income vocation and spending on major project (tower).
Notable Events:
1. Tiglam has been assassinated. The village is reeling from such an event. A display of weakness among authority is not a good sign, and the powerful families would be wise to each make a statement on what opinion they take on the recent events at the festival; commoners trust powers that are more transparent, and they are looking for someone to believe in.
2. The school is in full swing, but more teachers are needed to be nominated and hired. Current subjects we have teachers for: Medicine, Literacy. Suggested courses that still need teachers would be Military training, History, Sciences...?
3. Strange noises are coming from the eastern mines in the dead of night, disturbing those who live nearby...
4. Frye has been bombarded with outside interest due to it's isolation for so long. Merchants, visitors, scientists, adventurers, vagabonds, and all sorts of travelers are coming to the village. Tavern's businesses are skyrocketing. Since the village before this never had need of an inn, many of them are lodging with local families. These outsiders might present some... income opportunities, for those with a business mind...
New Issues:
1. We should vote for a replacement of Tiglam. If we can do so, the Count is less likely to be offended with us, as he had nominated Tiglam flippantly anyway. Count Adaarn will hopefully understand our actions as we've been isolated for so long and have our own ways, and will accept our nominee. Obviously, we could vote for a someone of the powerful families, but note that that would give that family much more power than the rest. Or, we could nominate gifted commoner or influential villager for the task. Or, we could allow the Count to nominate a foreigner, who would know nothing of our ways.
2. A substantial group of Dabalian commoners are making use of their right to propose laws, and are proposing that village funds be used to construct a Dabalian temple, since many years ago, common funds were used to build the Ud'ehbaian church. It would only be fair, they state. While this is true, it could be the start of a slippery slope where the Ud'ehbaians will demand money for a bigger, fancier church, and so on...
3. An emissary from the village of Shaake, also under Count Adaarn's domain, has come to the ruling body of Frye; finding Tiglam dead, he came to the Elders, with a proposal that children from Shaake (nearer to Frye than the village of Donu) could come by once a week for a day of schooling at the school. Naturally, the Bailiff of Shaake would pay the Elders of Frye for this service. While this could be a good source of income, it would mean one less day of education for the children of Frye.
4. A replacement for Tiglam must also be voted to be placed on the council of Elders of Frye. Most likely a commoner, or someone with outstanding reputation, would be a good idea, or someone extremely gifted.
In short, here are the issues the Elders can vote for:
1. What shall we do to replace Tiglam?
2. Common funds to build a Dabalian temple, yes or no?
3. How shall we respond to Shaake's request?
4. We need another Elder on the council; who?
The sixth month is now upon us. As Frye becomes more exposed to the outside world, moral areas and standpoints will become blurred in relation to monetary gain and growth, while inside the village, strange happenings continue to develop...

naturegirl1999

Post by naturegirl1999 » Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:43 pm

1. We should elect a commoner as the replacement, as our villagers know our ways, and electing a member from a powerful family would give that family much more power than the others.
2. No, because accepting will result in ever more expensive churches and temples from both Udhebbians and Dalabians and we need funds for other things, like inns for outsiders, for example.
3. We cann allow people from Shaake and Frye to be taught in the school at the same time, to avoid anyone losing any time for education.
4. Elect someone from the village, as villagers know our ways. See 1.

Actions

Send money to the school to allow for expansions, as people are coming from other villages to learn here.

Spend money and resources to start building an inn using Lew's own resources

Attempt to sneak into the mine to gather more bones without getting caught, to do more research. Equip explorers with weapons and armor for protection against whatever is in the mines.

Attempt to get Shuldri to stop causing nightmares. Explain that helping people will be better, as then people won't be trying to get rid of Shuldri.

Go to the forest to investigate why people are disappearing. Equip explorers with weapons and armor.

At night, attempt to rid villagers and family members of Shuldri that cause nightmares and otherwise harass their hosts. Shuldri that do not harass their hosts and Shuldri that help their hosts can be spared.

Send more family members to the forest (with weapons and armor for protection) to search for animals to serve as more hosts for the Shuldri.

Send a commoner who knows the most sciences and is as unbiased as possible to become a teacher for the school. This person shall focus on teaching science and should not be spreading their views. They shall focus on teaching science, not brainwashing the children.

This isn't too many actions, is it? if it is, I can get rid of some of the actions
I'm gonna put the last thing I copied here. Will change each time I visit for variety
Korobeiniki

Tiberius

Post by Tiberius » Sat Jun 09, 2018 12:06 am

Build an Inn
Firebomb the Amiable Anvil
Aquire either a masonry book or bring a mason into the hire of the family
Ramp up production of millitary armor and arms

Guineapig004

Post by Guineapig004 » Mon Jun 11, 2018 1:23 am

BakedToast wrote:
Thu Jun 07, 2018 3:05 pm
New Issues:
1. We should vote for a replacement of Tiglam. If we can do so, the Count is less likely to be offended with us, as he had nominated Tiglam flippantly anyway. Count Adaarn will hopefully understand our actions as we've been isolated for so long and have our own ways, and will accept our nominee. Obviously, we could vote for a someone of the powerful families, but note that that would give that family much more power than the rest. Or, we could nominate gifted commoner or influential villager for the task. Or, we could allow the Count to nominate a foreigner, who would know nothing of our ways.
2. A substantial group of Dabalian commoners are making use of their right to propose laws, and are proposing that village funds be used to construct a Dabalian temple, since many years ago, common funds were used to build the Ud'ehbaian church. It would only be fair, they state. While this is true, it could be the start of a slippery slope where the Ud'ehbaians will demand money for a bigger, fancier church, and so on...
3. An emissary from the village of Shaake, also under Count Adaarn's domain, has come to the ruling body of Frye; finding Tiglam dead, he came to the Elders, with a proposal that children from Shaake (nearer to Frye than the village of Donu) could come by once a week for a day of schooling at the school. Naturally, the Bailiff of Shaake would pay the Elders of Frye for this service. While this could be a good source of income, it would mean one less day of education for the children of Frye.
4. A replacement for Tiglam must also be voted to be placed on the council of Elders of Frye. Most likely a commoner, or someone with outstanding reputation, would be a good idea, or someone extremely gifted.
1. Nominate a gifted commoner.
2. Unfortunately, no. We do not have the funds. We will promise that we will come back to this issue.
3. Accept the offer. We will now assign practice assignments for the children of Frye to work on while they are at home.
4. A gifted commoner. Otherwise, one family will attain to much power.

The family of Tannell will capitalize on the inn opportunity. Unlike other inns, their inn will be more sophisticated. A place for great minds to have peaceful conversations.

They also continue to study medicine and steel.

The family of Tannell decides to try to figure out who killed Tiglam. Not because they liked the bailiff of course, but to get on the Count's good side.

Edit: (OOC: I accidently double posted. Please delete this one. I cannot find the delete button for this one.)
Last edited by Guineapig004 on Mon Jun 11, 2018 1:27 am, edited 2 times in total.