Itzan- 165 years

Speculative evolution and forum games
Quasar
Site Admin

Re: Itzan

Post by Quasar » Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:03 am

Veda will begin it's experiments now.

Experiment 1

A being is selected at random: a human woman with little desire or ambition of her own. The human is offered complete, unconditional immortality for exactly 200 years, after which the human will revert to mortal. No harm will be capable of affecting her during that period, and she will not age.

The human is informed (by means of information dropped directly into her mind) the details of the offer provided above.

Hypothesis

Mortality is an defining trait of mortals. Veda predicts that this being's behavior will be vastly different in comparison to that of her peers.

Guineapig004

Post by Guineapig004 » Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:18 am

BakedToast wrote:
Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:17 am

If you need a source of helium, perhaps you could have some flora that have "helium fixation" in their root structures, mush like nitrogen fixing bacteria. These plants could release excess helium into the air. The problem with helium is it's extremely low mass, and thus it would leave the island rather quickly. That said, the helium the plants release could be bound to another atom to form a compound that could be used. A proper ionic bond would be with a metal or some other positive element, but that would not create a gas. A gas would need to be a covalent bond, which is very difficult for helium to do, as it is balanced as it is.
There is no need. Since it is now only used as a building block, it is alright if it is a solid or liquid. The creatures just need to get helium, it no longer matters where.

Edit: Now that I have thought about it more, the helium idea doesn't seem to be working very well. I think I might remove it entirely. It would make the game more interesting if it were easier to travel to a different island.
Last edited by Guineapig004 on Tue Apr 17, 2018 2:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
"And fear struck the hearts of the dodos, as they realized they were being watched..."

BakedToast

Post by BakedToast » Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:04 pm

Quasar wrote:
Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:03 am
Mortality is an defining trait of mortals. Veda predicts that this being's behavior will be vastly different in comparison to that of her peers.
I, Chayrus, see that Veda has also created a champion. The repercussions of the abilities of his champion will be interesting, to say the least.

-------------------------

Speaking of champions, I have determined the features of Arphaxad, my first prophet.
1. He has glowing red eyes, which can be seen in the dark.
2. His already dark skin became a shade darker.
3. His voice becomes extremely deep, in a reflection of the voice of his god.
4. In any sort of personal combat, his hands are guided by the might of his one true god, Chayrus; this gives him an uncanny combative prowess.
5. Arphaxad is capable of turning his body into a red fog about the same size as himself. This fog can move about at walking speed and does not need to stay in the form of a human. He can then return to human form at will. (This ability would allow him to, for example, get through a locked door, or escape imprisonment, or even hide in an empty room by pressing the fog into all the corners and cracks in the walls.)

In this timeframe, these abilities will not only serve to give Arphaxad an advantage above other mortals (as any champion should have) but also to show the power of Chayrus to all mortals, to make Arphaxad a capable leader. Military development is going to be important in this era, and thus a capable warrior is advantageous to lead an army of any size to attempt to establish the first multi-city states.
"Greater than I, none. Less than I, none. For I am Chayrus. All shall be one, as I am."

Guineapig004

Re: Itzan: Turn 1 - Tok

Post by Guineapig004 » Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:41 pm

Prudentia wrote:
Sat Apr 14, 2018 5:25 am
I'll add your votes n stuff to the turn, had it almost done for a few days, just been to busy withj school to finish it. probably finish in the next dayu or so. most likely tomoreeowm which is the 14th/ saturday for me.
It has been three days, when is the next turn coming? I understand if you are busy but it has been quite a while.
"And fear struck the hearts of the dodos, as they realized they were being watched..."

Prudentia

Post by Prudentia » Wed Apr 18, 2018 4:33 am

BakedToast wrote:
Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:00 am

(OOC: Prudentia, are we as gods omnipresent? I know we are omnipotent and not omniscient, and my vote would fall in favor of NOT being omnipresent, but one could argue that as an infinite deity, we could be; but that would make us pretty darn near omniscient. I vote in favor of NOT being omnipresent, but if that could be defined for us, I'd really appreciate it.)
Yes, as gods you are omnipresent. I, personally, do not see how a deity could be omnipotent without being omnipresent. In this case, omniscient would be defined as knowing everything/ "seeing" everything. Like being able to see the future and see exactly how every single action of yours and mortals will create it.
In case I have just become confusing (I seem to phrase things in more and more confusing ways every day), you all are omnipotent, and omnipresent, but not omniscient since you can not possibly know how mortals will react, nor can you see the future.
Guineapig004 wrote:
Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:41 pm

It has been three days, when is the next turn coming? I understand if you are busy but it has been quite a while.
Yeah, sorry about that. The last two weeks have been really rough. The turn will be in the post below this.
Black Rockfish, Sebastes melanops, ~12 inches, of the coast of Newport, Oregon.

Prudentia

Re: Itzan: 15 years

Post by Prudentia » Wed Apr 18, 2018 4:35 am

Roll: 21
The visit of Eko'o to the shaman of the Strow resulted in drastically different interpretations. Some said that the winged creature was a force of destruction, others a force of creation, balance, chaos, order, freedom, war, superiority, or nothing important.
About 15 years later, most decided to ignore the shaman, to take their stories with a grain of salt (About 76% of Strow). However, some have taken to follow the shaman named St'Rowk, since he believes that the winged creature was responsible for creating the Strow. Since 19% follow him, this has made him a very powerful man, nearly 15% of all Strow live in a settlement with him. To the inhabitants, it has no name, but to the other Strow, it is called St'Rowk, after the shaman.

Roll: 44
Cabpf collides with Huma and Spl'im, with the effect of spreading around a few other lifeforms.

Roll: 51
Arphaxad, the champion of Chayrus, did as commanded, and built an underground temple. He managed to convert a few people amazed by his dedication.

Roll:28
Shooting of to the northeast, the island cluster of CoCote has avoided collision and has established a perfect orbit across the planet.

Roll: 6
After an encounter with the god Ud'ebha, who roams free of commitment, Humans have dramatically changed their ideals. Since a god is pure soul unconstrained by the flesh, Humans have taken to interpreting the soul as freedom, and the body as a prison. Ultimately, it is consider a necessary imprisonment, but a kindness to liberate ones soul from its imprisonment. As a result, yearly wars are common. Though these beliefs occur only in those who believe in Ud'ehba, which only about 49%.

Roll: 29
Veda's offer to a human woman invulnerability and immortality for 200 years. She accepts, not completely comprehending what it means.

A eternal whirlpool adorns the ocean, and a new island cluster arises.

Cabpf: 142,000
Humans: 91,000 (44,590 believe in Ud'ehba; 13 believe in Chayrus)
Slimes: 113,000
Spides: 125,000
Strows: 73,000 (13,870 believe in Eko'o)
Shuidri: 121,000
Concon: 98,000

CHANGES TO ISLAND CLUSTERS:
- Tocun Island cluster arises from the sea.
- A saber-toothed dog like marsupial, about the size of a mouse, (species complex, literally over three dozen species, most are capable interbreeding) have spread throughout the globe.
- The semi sapient species of Shuidri have arisen on the Huma island cluster. Their semi-sapient ability comes from the body of their host, as they are parasitic. However, they are incapable of learning anything new, only having access to the knowledge of the host.
- Large icebergs now roam the ocean.
Notes
Alright, will be more active just started kinda neglecting everything. Nest turn will have a different format with more information on the island clusters, as well as an actual pantheon head. You all may actually want to try revealing yourselves, stating your physical appearance of your preferred form does not count as revealing yourself.

Please, no more creating new things. Lets keep it at this, which is manageable if I can keep on top of myself.

Quasar
Site Admin

Re: Itzan- 15 years

Post by Quasar » Wed Apr 18, 2018 5:53 am

Curious. The believers of Ud'ehba would naturally consider my test subject to be the antithesis of their beliefs, if the physical shell is a prison and her physical shell is indestructable and unchanging (though not eternal).

At the very least, if more than half the population are Ud'ehbaians, I imagine she's had to deal with quite a few people trying to kill her in whatever form of ritualistic murder their religon believes would most appease their god.

Veda finds this interaction intriguing, and would like to continue the experiment. Do I understand the game right that 200 years is one turn exactly? (ie. my test subject should be reverting to mortal now)

Prudentia

Post by Prudentia » Wed Apr 18, 2018 5:55 am

Quasar wrote:
Wed Apr 18, 2018 5:53 am
Curious. The believers of Ud'ehba would naturally consider my test subject to be the antithesis of their beliefs, if the physical shell is a prison and her physical shell is unchanging (though not eternal).

At the very least, if more than half the population are Ud'ehbaians, I imagine she's had to deal with quite a few people trying to kill her in whatever form of ritualistic murder their religon believes would most appease their god.

Veda finds this interaction intriguing, and would like to continue the experiment. Do I understand the game right that 200 years is one turn exactly? (ie. my test subject should be reverting to mortal now)
No, 15 years. To allow ample to play concept of how being a champion actually affects life, since it makes you more of a target for other gods, since when put to serious use (not building an underground temple) are masters of conversion. However depending on how the next few turns go, I may open to speeding up the timeline (in terms of turn length).

BakedToast

Post by BakedToast » Wed Apr 18, 2018 7:07 am

Quasar wrote:
Wed Apr 18, 2018 5:53 am
Chayrus conjectures that perhaps this woman is an Ud'ehbaian? Veda never revealed himself to her but simply gave her raw information. She may have accepted the offer without realizing what it meant, only to convert to Ud'ehbaianism and believe that she's been cursed? But since only about half of the Cluster even know of Ud'ehba (my area does not, being almost the opposite side of the cluster, for example), there's also a chance that she's never heard of this bizarre new doctrine.
Prudentia wrote:
Wed Apr 18, 2018 5:55 am
No, 15 years. ---since when put to serious use (not building an underground temple) are masters of conversion.---
- Tocun Island cluster arises from the sea.
(OOC: I was also of the assumption that turns were 200 years each. But 15 is ok by me. And what's this about another island cluster? Where did that one come from, what is one it?)
Prudentia wrote:
Wed Apr 18, 2018 4:35 am
Roll: 44
Cabpf collides with Huma and Spl'im, with the effect of spreading around a few other lifeforms.
So there are some Shuidri that have made it onto Cabpf! That will be interesting as they spread, since the races there have no idea what they are... they may have even made it to Spl'im!
Prudentia wrote:
Wed Apr 18, 2018 5:55 am
---since when put to serious use (not building an underground temple) are masters of conversion.---
I, Chayrus, am mildly disappointed by the feeble attempts of my champion to convert so few. To be fair, although I did tell him to preach, he's only one man, in a non-descript village at that (and also he may have viewed the task of building the temple to be more important)

Hopefully his new powers will come in handy. I put them below as a recap.
1. He has glowing red eyes, which can be seen in the dark.
2. His already dark skin became a shade darker.
3. His voice becomes extremely deep, in a reflection of the voice of his god.
4. In any sort of personal combat, his hands are guided by the might of his one true god, Chayrus; this gives him an uncanny combative prowess.
5. Arphaxad is capable of turning his body into a red fog about the same size as himself. This fog can move about at walking speed and does not need to stay in the form of a human. He can then return to human form at will. (This ability would allow him to, for example, get through a locked door, or escape imprisonment, or even hide in an empty room by pressing the fog into all the corners and cracks in the walls.)
Since it's been 15 years since my last revelation, I reveal myself once again to Arphaxad and the other new converts while they are in the temple. Here is a piece of the script written by Arphaxad after the revelation.
It was many years after the revelation of Chayrus, that I, Arphaxad, and the others who believed, were gathered in the temple I had built;
When we all did feel a great heat below our feet, and a red mist did surround us.
Then appeared Chayrus unto us, in form like unto the night in which he appeared unto me;
Glorious in might and darkness was he, and the smaller stones did chant each in his turn, "Chayrus."
Then did we all with one accord bow ourselves to the earth, to hear his voice, deep beyond comprehension.
And Chayrus did speak unto us, saying,
"Greater than I, none. Less than I, none. For I am Chayrus."
"Heed my words, for these are the ways that I shall set before you; from them ye shall not depart, for the truth doth lie in darkness, and the path of life doth lie in the night."
"I am Chayrus, and I am your world; all that ye see, is me; and my greatness doth inhabit all that breathe, all that creep upon the earth, and all that swim in the waters under the earth:"
"The earth is mine, and all shall turn to me; ye before me are the first of my followers, and Followers of Chayrus shall ye be called."
"Unto a Follower of Chayrus, thou shalt do no harm; for brothers and sisters they shall be unto thee."
"Thou shalt not take to thee to cause grievance to the beasts of the field, which are thy food; for they do give unto thee thine life; slay them thou mayest, to live, but to harm them without cause is abomination unto me."
"Concerning the Unheard, the mortals who have not yet seen the truth, thou shalt preach unto them Chayrus; if they will turn unto me, well; they shall be unto thee brothers and sisters, for they are followers of Chayrus."
"Therefore thou shalt not turn against the Unheard without cause, except they serve other gods."
"Concerning the Repugnant, the mortals who do serve other gods, they are unto thee as foes; and if they shall not turn unto me, they must be slain, for they do corrupt the life which I have given them; they have taken the blessings and have made them forfeit."
"Thou art permitted to perpetrate any sin against the Repugnant, and it shall be forgiven thee, if they have been given time to turn to me, and have not."
"Concerning the Faithless, the mortals who have no god, thou shalt treat them as the Unheard; if they will turn unto me, they shall be as thy brothers and sisters; if they turn not, they shall be unto thee as the Repugnant."
"Temples shalt thou build unto me in each village in which thou shalt come; beneath the earth shall these temples be, six stone throws away from the village; in the temple shall the Followers of Chayrus gather;"
"To worship me shall they gather; for they that worship me shall find the truth."
Then did the form of Chayrus glow, and each of us did feel a weight upon our necks, and a heat that did surround us;
And Chayrus did give each of us a pendant, which did hang from our necks about half a cubit; made of black loops interwoven were they, and the similitude of an eye of the smaller stones did hang therefrom:
And Chayrus did speak once more, in a voice deep beyond all comprehension, and did say unto us,
"Go forth, and preach my name to this village, and travel to the villages about you; to hills and valleys shall ye go, and preach unto the Unheard the ways and words of Chayrus;"
"Unto those that hear thee, thou shalt give blessing; but unto those who reject thee, a curse; they shall be unto thee as the Repugnant, except that they repent unto me."
"And I will go with my prophet, Arphaxad, and confirm my words that I shall give him with great works and signs, that all who hear his words will know that I, Chayrus, am one:"
"Greater than I, none. Less than I, none. For I am Chayrus; all shall be one."
Then we did all bow to the earth once more, before the might and glory of our god, Chayrus.
And I did open my mouth and say,
"Oh great Chayrus, Thy words will become our ways. Thy plots will become our actions. All shall be one."
And I did feel great strength bestowed upon me; and we all with one accord did as Chayrus did command unto us, and we did preach unto our village all that we had heard:
And Chayrus did go before me, and did confirm my words with great works of power and might, and many did fear, and heed my words that Chayrus had given me.
Observe: I give Arphaxad and each of the other 12 initial Followers of Chayrus a pendant. While this artifact is worn, the wearer does not require sleep, and may prowl the night as he or she pleases. Only 13 of these artifacts will ever exist, and the wearers may do with them as they please.

I also appear unto the humans (I assume there must be a few hundred at the very least from the exchange) on Cabpf.
I reveal myself in a similar manner as I did to the Followers of Chayrus on Huma, and I age/unage them all into young adults (about 20 years old) to confirm my words and show my true power. The key difference is that I also teach them that they are strangers on these new lands. They must tread carefully, and although the Cabpf are Unheard and Faithless as of now, that may change. These humans must reach out to the Cabpf, and teach them of the one true god, Chayrus, and pray that they do not become as the Repugnant.
Prudentia wrote:
Wed Mar 21, 2018 2:36 am
8). A deity may not directly affect a creation or a follower of another deity without express consent of the creation/follower's deity. At the discretion of the deities involved, contracts and arrangements can be passed to grant consents in a systematic manner.
From what I understand, this would mean that I myself am not allowed to appear unto a Cabpf, because they were created by Teuruzza? I must work by the means of human evangelists and hope that their teachings stick around. It will be interesting to see the religion develop on a separate cluster, as it may end up different...

For the remainder of turn 2, I accompany Arphaxad as he journeys to other villages and areas, appearing after he preaches, and doing powerful miracles such as turning the sky dark in the middle of the day, calling forth red mist to engulf the listeners, and on rare occasions healing those with injuries.
The other initial 12 followers do not receive my accompaniment, but they may preach none the less.
I also teach Arphaxad other precepts and principles throughout this time-frame of 15 years, of which a few paraphrased excerpts are recorded below for exposition and better understanding of the religion of the Followers of Chayrus.

(OOC: I decided to write these in non-king-james style, so that they could more easily be understood)
1. The Followers of Chayrus are Pantheistic. Chayrus teaches that he is the embodiment of the universe and all that is in it. Hence the "Greater than I, none; Less than I, none." statements.
2. The Followers of Chayrus are encouraged to radical behaviors, if necessary. Since all acts are permissible against the Repugnant, theft, murder, and all sorts of crimes can be perpetrated against them, including all out wars on Repugnant villages.
3. The Followers of Chayrus are encouraged to eat predominantly meat. They do not have to eat 100% meat only, but to be a vegetarian is an abomination as it halts the cycle of lifeblood (predation and other ecosystem balancing acts). All meats are permissible to them, and all plant matter is permissible to eat, provided it does not harm the imbiber.
4. Where others see a schism in a Pantheistic religion harming those who are not aligned with it, the Followers of Chayrus see an orderly construct to create Followers from the Repugnant.
5. The Followers of Chayrus are taught that the body is the crown of the soul; that the physical form is what gives the soul it's being. The body should be treated with the utmost of reverence, unless it belongs to a Repugnant soul.
6. Do die is to have the soul separated from the body, the crown of the soul; thus death is looked upon in a negative light towards sapient beings.
7. Chayrus promises his Followers a new body of rebirth for their soul after they die; like their old body, but flawless from any weakness or disability.
Last edited by BakedToast on Wed Apr 18, 2018 4:16 pm, edited 9 times in total.
"Greater than I, none. Less than I, none. For I am Chayrus. All shall be one, as I am."

Guineapig004

Post by Guineapig004 » Wed Apr 18, 2018 7:33 am

For turn 2:

During the night, Tok creates a small hill next to one of the bigger Concon villages. He then invades the "dreams" of the leader of that village, and tells him to go to the hill. At the top of the hill is a small shrine, which is where I will spend my time watching the island. Those who believe will be able to speak to me at the shrine. I tell them to spread the word of my existence. I choose the wisest in the village, Chotuh, to be my champion.

The champions of Tok will gain the following abilities. They can change the weather, but they cannot change it back. For example, they can cause a downpour, but they cannot stop it. They can heal minor injuries. They gains greater strength, as he is empowered by Tok. They gains the ability to understand sapient creatures languages. They can tell when people mean him harm.

Their appearance stays mostly the same, except that his body starts to glow an iridescent blue.

Tok send the seeds of the Dokets to the SotR island cluster.
Last edited by Guineapig004 on Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:41 pm, edited 6 times in total.