Itzan- 165 years

Speculative evolution and forum games
BakedToast

Re: Itzan: Comment - Chayrus

Post by BakedToast » Sun Apr 15, 2018 5:12 am

Guineapig004 wrote:
Sat Apr 14, 2018 4:17 am

The Concon: Sapient: The Concon are small black blobs which can hijack other species like a virus. They feed off the food that their victim eat. They are asexual and have cold and calculating minds. They can think as fast as a supercomputer and live in civilizations equivalent to medieval times.
(OOC: My only concern here is that it is very difficult for a parasitic race to have it's own "civilization", unless it controls the mind of it's host. What creature did they leech off of on their native island? can they survive without a host?)
joshthehawk wrote:
Sat Apr 14, 2018 9:56 am
Ud'ebha tells the humans that outside their lands there are other islands, where other, strange, people live and that they should treat these people with kindness, for that is the wish of Ud'ebha.
I, Chayrus, sense a clash approaching. The rigid Followers of Chayrus will soon come into contact with the followers of Ud'ebha...
We shall see how this pans out.
(OOC: Unless the Huma cluster is quite large? We never established the actual size of the clusters. Arphaxad and the Followers of Chayrus originated on one of the most southern isles of Huma, but where did Ud'ebha reveal himself?)
"Greater than I, none. Less than I, none. For I am Chayrus. All shall be one, as I am."

Guineapig004

Re: Itzan

Post by Guineapig004 » Sun Apr 15, 2018 6:11 am

(OOC: My only concern here is that it is very difficult for a parasitic race to have it's own "civilization", unless it controls the mind of it's host. What creature did they leech off of on their native island? can they survive without a host?)
1. The Concon as "kids" are fed by the "parent" until they infect a host. They take over all of the hosts bodily functions, including their mind. They can switch hosts at any time, although it will kill the original host. When they "divide" they copy their original genetic code. Tok finds this fitting as he will do this to you soon as well enjoy other creatures being in chaos.
2. They originally took control of the Drracks as they already populated most of the island, and were quite resilient.
3. Yes they can survive without a host.

P.S. Drat, I seem have been infected with the personality split from Qu. It's only a matter of time before I start using self deprecatory humor.
"And fear struck the hearts of the dodos, as they realized they were being watched..."

BakedToast

Re: Itzan: Comment - Chayrus

Post by BakedToast » Sun Apr 15, 2018 1:24 pm

Guineapig004 wrote:
Sat Apr 14, 2018 4:17 am

The Concon: Sapient: The Concon are small black blobs which can hijack other species like a virus. They feed off the food that their victim eat. They are asexual and have cold and calculating minds. They can think as fast as a supercomputer and live in civilizations equivalent to medieval times.
Prudentia wrote:
Mon Apr 02, 2018 3:41 am

First turn, you can vote for things to happen, no tech, but island collisions, and revealing your self to mortal to gain their worship. Note, if your vote involves mortals, it will be rolled for, since mortals are stupid and not capable of understanding the infinite. Turns will 200 years apart, assume first farming communities are forming about now.
Tok, your creatures are interesting but I have a concern that they are slightly overpowered (especially in that they can easily swap hosts and that would kill the original?! That makes them proficient at genocide!)... As you can see, you mentioned that they live in civilizations equivalent to medieval times. In the second quote here, you can see that the rest of our creations are only just beginning to form the first basic farming communities. This means that the Concons are advanced thousands of years ahead of the rest of our creations. Also, the above quote notes that we are not allowed to advance our civilizations with technologies (circa medieval civilization), at least not on the first turn. My personal suggestion, just to keep things interesting, would be to reduce their tech to the earliest of farming communities, to see what technologies and ways of life they develop on their own, and how you might induce insanity upon guide them further.
"Greater than I, none. Less than I, none. For I am Chayrus. All shall be one, as I am."

White parrot

Post by White parrot » Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:48 pm

BakedToast wrote:(OOC: I propose that we use a naming convention for our posts, so that it can be easily coordinated what's going on. I suggest the following : Itzan: Turn # (Or whatever the topic is) - (Name of god)
I also propose that we keep a few things in the Original post, for easy reference:
The Complete Pantheon with all gods, as well as their power and rank; descriptions of their actions in a spoiler tag beside them.
A basic rundown of each island cluster -- their location in relation to each other, as well as major conflicts or events happening both inter- and intra- cluster.)
(Quick answers:
Nay to the naming convention (feels unnecessary to me);
As of yet undecided for the rundown, because such description will probably happen turn by turn anyway and would benefit little from being centralized; an index of turns might be good, though, for quick navigation.)

BakedToast wrote:
Sun Apr 15, 2018 1:24 pm
Tok, your creatures are interesting but I have a concern that they are slightly overpowered... [...]
Beside, it might be difficult for lifeforms adapted to about 100K to interact meaningfully with those more used to about 300K... Which is either a problem or a feature, I'm not sure which.

That being said, welcome to Itzan you two! :D

BakedToast wrote:I, Chayrus, sense a clash approaching. The rigid Followers of Chayrus will soon come into contact with the followers of Ud'ebha...
We shall see how this pans out.
That's the least we can say. Fire and darkness! Songs and cries! Humans will be put to the test. :)
In another way, it seems it is only matter of time before Mercury and Tok come to some form of conflict over the domains of cold and, uh, slimes. The first contact will sure be a sight!! :twisted:
At this point, we shouldn't be surprised by anything nature does. She's like a meth addict whose drug-fueled rampages unfold in slow motion and span millions of years.
Silly Otter wrote:Welcome to the forum.
Please ignore the cultists.

Guineapig004

Post by Guineapig004 » Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:57 pm

By Baked Toast
Tok, your creatures are interesting but I have a concern that they are slightly overpowered (especially in that they can easily swap hosts and that would kill the original?! That makes them proficient at genocide!)...
I'll rework the ability right now. The Concon now just weaken the original host by stealing the energy needed to attack the next host. The Concon can be fought off is the target has a strong enough immune system (or tech).
By Baked Toast
My personal suggestion, just to keep things interesting, would be to reduce their tech to the earliest of farming communities, to see what technologies and ways of life they develop on their own, and how you might induce insanity upon guide them further.
Sure! I just wanted to ignore forgot about that rule! I'll bring them down to farming civilizations. I'll go change my original post now. Don't worry, I'll keep their insanity.
By White Parrot
Beside, it might be difficult for lifeforms adapted to about 100K to interact meaningfully with those more used to about 300K... Which is either a problem or a feature, I'm not sure which
I'd say it's a feature! I wonder what would happen if Mercury's followers tried to take a swim...

"Go on you pansies! Get swimmi---"
"And fear struck the hearts of the dodos, as they realized they were being watched..."

BakedToast

Post by BakedToast » Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:00 am

White parrot wrote:
Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:48 pm
Beside, it might be difficult for lifeforms adapted to about 100K to interact meaningfully with those more used to about 300K... Which is either a problem or a feature, I'm not sure which.
(OOC: Lol, I agree. A difference of 200 degrees Kelvin on the Concon island means several things actually:
1. The creatures therein will most likely boil alive if they leave the cold zones to infest any warmer areas.
2. The Island's massively low temperature causes large storms and other atmospheric anomalies in the nearby areas, sue to the disturbance in atmospheric pressure such a gigantic difference would cause; and leave trails of frozen waters in it's wake.
3. I assume that this extremely low temperature is being upheld by Tok himself, else it would certainly dissipate quickly. Given that we are omnipotent, that's fine. But none of us are omniscient, which means that in order to maintain this temperature, Tok must keep his attention on this island at all times...)
White parrot wrote:
Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:48 pm
As of yet undecided for the rundown, because such description will probably happen turn by turn anyway and would benefit little from being centralized; an index of turns might be good, though, for quick navigation.)
(OOC: I agree with that. If a full rundown in the OP would be too much, then at least an index mentioning what page each turn summary is located on would be good enough for me, provided that we do have a structured turn liturgy so that we can see and coherently understand each turn.)

Prudentia wrote:
Sat Apr 14, 2018 5:25 am
(OOC: Prudentia, are we as gods omnipresent? I know we are omnipotent and not omniscient, and my vote would fall in favor of NOT being omnipresent, but one could argue that as an infinite deity, we could be; but that would make us pretty darn near omniscient. I vote in favor of NOT being omnipresent, but if that could be defined for us, I'd really appreciate it.)

Guineapig004

Post by Guineapig004 » Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:06 am

(OOC: Lol, I agree. A difference of 200 degrees Kelvin on the Concon island means several things actually:
1. The creatures therein will most likely boil alive if they leave the cold zones to infest any warmer areas.
2. The Island's massively low temperature causes large storms and other atmospheric anomalies in the nearby areas, sue to the disturbance in atmospheric pressure such a gigantic difference would cause; and leave trails of frozen waters in it's wake.
3. I assume that this extremely low temperature is being upheld by Tok himself, else it would certainly dissipate quickly. Given that we are omnipotent, that's fine. But none of us are omniscient, which means that in order to maintain this temperature, Tok must keep his attention on this island at all times...)
I didn't think of that. I really like the idea of the extreme environment. Do you have any ideas to solve this?

Edit: I have an idea! Since Tok is omnipotent, he should be able to create something that keeps the island cold. I could also let the coldness dissipate away from the island instead of a big drop. There should be some point were two civilizations should be able to meet, with the necessary tech of course.

BakedToast

Post by BakedToast » Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:25 am

Guineapig004 wrote:
Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:06 am

I didn't think of that. I really like the idea of the extreme environment. Do you have any ideas to solve this?

Edit: I have an idea! Since Tok is omnipotent, he should be able to create something that keeps the island cold. I could also let the coldness dissipate away from the island instead of a big drop. There should be some point were two civilizations should be able to meet, with the necessary tech of course.
I, Chayrus, came up with an idea as well! More of a method though, to explain how you could "let the coldness dissipate" without causing storms.
This would require the consent of others in the pantheon, as I doubt the two of us could just perpetrate such a dangerous and potentially cruel act, but...
Lets open a rift into The undisturbed dimension Beirizita, the one where gates can occasionally form anyway, and have all the cold air leech from Concon island into there, with another one-way gate taking warm air from Beirizita and bringing it to ours. The storms would all occur in Beirizita. The only problem with this is that I'm not sure what the others in the Pantheon would think, as we are technically "tampering" with a dimension meant to be untouched...
Unless you, Tok, created some sort of energized barrier around Concon island instead that simply separated the island's atmosphere from the rest of the world, but also was a 100% insulator.

My honest suggestion would be to keep an exotic environment, but just make it less cold; because at this rate, the Concons basically can't leave, and nothing can enter without freezing to death. You can still have bizarre flora and fauna, and you could perhaps have a different material for lakes instead of methane.

Guineapig004

Post by Guineapig004 » Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:54 am

BakedToast wrote:
Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:25 am

My honest suggestion would be to keep an exotic environment, but just make it less cold; because at this rate, the Concons basically can't leave, and nothing can enter without freezing to death. You can still have bizarre flora and fauna, and you could perhaps have a different material for lakes instead of methane.
You're probably right, I can change the material to something else. I change it to a water mixed with some other element. I'll think of something.

Edit: Thought of another neat idea! The island is now at a more bearable temperature, 1 degree Celsius. Another problem that occurred to me is that the island's air is mostly helium. How would I keep the air in the same place? Could there be an unknown compound in the air that makes it attracted to the ground? I could say that the ground has plenty of natural magnets. How would helium bind with iron? Any suggestions would be welcome.

Edit: I just realized, I can't use helium for the air either. If that were the case, any creatures that tried to leave would die of "helium depravation". Instead, I can change it so they breathe the small amount of oxygen in the air. They instead use the helium in the air as a building block.

BakedToast

Post by BakedToast » Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:17 am

Guineapig004 wrote:
Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:54 am

Edit: Thought of another neat idea! The island is now at a more bearable temperature, 1 degree Celsius. Another problem that occurred to me is that the island's air is mostly helium. How would I keep the air in the same place? Could there be an unknown compound in the air that makes it attracted to the ground? I could say that the ground has plenty of natural magnets. How would helium bind with iron? Any suggestions would be welcome.

Edit: I just realized, I can't use helium for the air either. If that were the case, any creatures that tried to leave would die of "helium deprivation". Instead, I can change it so they breathe the small amount of oxygen in the air. They instead use the helium in the air as a building block.
If you need a source of helium, perhaps you could have some flora that have "helium fixation" in their root structures, mush like nitrogen fixing bacteria. These plants could release excess helium into the air. The problem with helium is it's extremely low mass, and thus it would leave the island rather quickly. That said, the helium the plants release could be bound to another atom to form a compound that could be used. A proper ionic bond would be with a metal or some other positive element, but that would not create a gas. A gas would need to be a covalent bond, which is very difficult for helium to do, as it is balanced as it is. (As a god, I suppose we could create a molecular law to bind helium with another light gaseous element without further ado. After all, no one said we had to actually follow "Euclidean" physics.)

Exotic is great, but "too exotic" can cause a problem, as you can see. The more your island "blends" with the world in respect to the climate, the better. Also bear in mind that temperature is often dependent on location, and with your island shooting off in a "random direction" from Tok's push, it could warm up relatively quickly, or cool down to greater extents. 1 degree Celsius is all right though, we can assume your island is nearer the poles, and hope it doesn't move any nearer the equator.