Evolution: A War Through the Ages

Speculative evolution and forum games
Alumentum

Evolution: A War Through the Ages

Post by Alumentum » Thu Jan 28, 2016 1:28 am

In a world forgotten by time, when giant arthropods dominated the landscape, reptiles and amphibians battle each other and their insect overlords to survive. In this world, a little reptile species scrounges what it can amidst the carnage the larger animals create. Now it is time for them to take over. Throw off the shackles of the food web and let evolution guide you to the top of the food chain

In this game you will take on the role of Hylonomus. Hylonomus is the first reptile to ever exist, and the ancestor of all mammals, reptiles, and birds. In this hostile environment it is important that you adapt and evolve to your surroundings to avoid extinction. Each round will allow you to modify your creature with adaptations which may or may not help you to survive. After 15 rounds, your creature, if it survives, will be advanced to a new era with different enemies and threats. Who can survive the longest?

Environment:
The current environment is that of the carboniferous age. Vast shallow seas, soggy grounds, steamy thick air and horrific creatures make up your home. As time moves on, your environment will change but, for now, Hylonomus is in grave danger of extinction in this ancient world.

Predators: Hylonomus was a tiny creature compared to the many beasts that shared it's world. The following are what you will have to survive against.

Mesothelae:
A massive spider the size of a basketball! It's fangs and cold dead eyes allow it to hunt creatures even bigger than itself. You, being only 8 inches long, are an easy snack for this huge spider. Mesothelae live in burrows and stalk their prey around the stumps of fallen trees. They are fast and rely on their fangs to kill their victim.

Pulmonoscorpious:
Pulmonoscorpius is a primitive scorpion reaching 28 inches long. This monstrous arthropod hunted anything it could catch with its claws. Pulmonoscorpious was an ambush predator much like mesothelae but, instead of fangs, it used its stinger equipped tail to deal the killing blow. This is heavily armored enemy, and not something to be trifled with.

Jaekelopterus:
A huge primitive sea scorpion that easily reached 8 feet in length. At this size, this creature was near the top of the food chain and was a terror of the shallow seas. Any creature venturing into the water needs to take care not to be caught in this monsters claws. This thick plated arthropod is unwavering in its search for food and will eat anything it can catch.

Meganeura:
Meganeura is a 2 foot long dragonfly which primarily fed on other insects. They are not picky however, and its agility and speed in the air makes it a formidable foe. Being nearly twice your size, it would be best to take cover when these dragons begin flying overhead.

Eryops:
Eryops is a hulking amphibian and was easily the largest animal at the time. At 10 feet long and 200 pounds, Eryops is a slow and lumbering land dweller. Once in the water however, it becomes much swifter and more deadly. Regardless, it is the apex predator and should be avoided at all costs.

Food Items:
In this era food is limited for a creature your size. Tiny insects, amphibian larvae and fish larvae are your best bet. The world you live in is full of lush moss and fern growths; if only you could eat it.

World Events:
Earth is in a volatile state and many changes are taking place. A roll of the dice will decide if an event will take place during a turn. A 1 means that something will happen that will most likely benefit you. 2-4 means nothing will happen. A roll of 5-6 means that a disaster will take place. A second roll will decide the nature of the event. 1 will be of extraterrestrial origin. 2-4 will be terrestrial origin. 5-6 will be genetic origin.

Players
1. Dinoman
2. GabrielGG
3. Prudentia
4. 20 Characters
5. ClassyAmoeba
6. Alpha
7. Natural20
8. TheDoctor
Last edited by Alumentum on Fri Jan 29, 2016 8:49 pm, edited 7 times in total.

dinoman9877

Re: Evolution: A War Through the Ages

Post by dinoman9877 » Thu Jan 28, 2016 1:29 am

Sign me up!

GabrielGG

Post by GabrielGG » Thu Jan 28, 2016 1:36 am

I wanna play
I like potatoes.

20 characters!

Post by 20 characters! » Thu Jan 28, 2016 2:45 am

Meh, all we need to do is survive tip the Permian the mega insects will die off on their own. Count me out, the outcome is too predictable. That said it still sounds cool.
youtubeuserSara3346
20 characters! wrote:*explodes into a gore shower
combi2 wrote: ... thought that all cows could produce unlimited antibodies,boy am i a retard.
combi2 wrote:you can`t thats not how humans work
Grockstar wrote:Bats it is then. They are the poor man's snake.
ImageImageImage

Prudentia

Post by Prudentia » Thu Jan 28, 2016 3:07 am

I'm in.

- Develop a special cell receptor that binds venom, and blocks the sodium channels in our nerves.

As is seen in Grasshopper Mice, the link contains the scientific info/basis if you want/need to see it exactly.

- A secondary palate.
Last edited by Prudentia on Thu Jan 28, 2016 10:08 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Black Rockfish, Sebastes melanops, ~12 inches, of the coast of Newport, Oregon.

dinoman9877

Post by dinoman9877 » Thu Jan 28, 2016 3:15 am

20 characters! wrote:Meh, all we need to do is survive tip the Permian the mega insects will die off on their own. Count me out, the outcome is too predictable. That said it still sounds cool.
People have the blueprint for all living reptiles, dinosaurs, and mammals in their hands. And the events will be completely randomized, meaning maybe no climate change to kill the carboniferous for a long time.

Nothing predictable about it. We could go 45 turns with the insects ruling the place.

I know this because I helped Alum with the idea and setting this up. But she is all alone in moderating this first game of hers. I'm just along for the ride.

20 characters!

Post by 20 characters! » Thu Jan 28, 2016 4:46 am

I vote for: more efficient heart.
youtubeuserSara3346
combi2 wrote: ... thought that all cows could produce unlimited antibodies,boy am i a retard.
ImageImageImage

20 characters!

Post by 20 characters! » Thu Jan 28, 2016 4:48 am

By the way, where is megarachne? Giant land scorpions would be fun....
youtubeuserSara3346
ImageImageImage

ClassyAmoeba
Location: On a planet orbiting a star orbiting the all mighty Quasar, but at a safe distance

Post by ClassyAmoeba » Thu Jan 28, 2016 5:41 am

I'm in, of course.
Do not provoke my wrath.
This will be my only warning

Alpha

Post by Alpha » Thu Jan 28, 2016 5:54 am

I'm in.
I vote for a digestive system which allows us to eat both plants and animals.

Second vote goes for larger diversity of teeth dedicated to grinding/crushing (molars) as well as shearing/cutting teeth (incisors and canines).
My Major Competitions:
Droetis
Charbiss
Petrixic