The Lizards of The Lost Isle (Evolution game)

Speculative evolution and forum games
dinoman9877

Re: The Lizards of The Lost Isle (Evolution game)

Post by dinoman9877 » Mon Jan 25, 2016 8:46 pm

I'm aware this is a double post, but I feel you'll all come to forgive me...because this is...
Round 1
20 characters!: Leaf shaped teeth, longer gut
Phrynosoma saladdont
The Blunt-toothed Horned lizard appears the same for the most part on the outside, using their flat bodies to try to blend into their kelp covered beach environment, difficult to do as they just don't have the coloration to hide in the rotting vegetation. Finding it hard to subsist on the few insects there are on the beach, these animals took to trying to scrounge a living from plants as well. Their teeth have become blunter than before, allowing them to chew the plants a bit easier. This is little compensation when their jaws are weak, and have a hard time working with the small teeth to grind the plants properly. The stomach, adapted to digesting insects, has a difficult time digesting what can be chewed, but it's not a complete loss, as the intestines have grown a bit longer, allowing for some more nutrients to be absorbed before the plants are excreted. The lizards search for softer plant matter as such, a rarity on the beach.
Status: Endangered: You have more food but you're an easy snack.
Diet: Small insects, soft or rotted plants
Threats: Harpy Eagle, Ocelot

ClassyAmoeba: Bigger horns, better camouflage for the beach
Phrynosoma keratinus
These lizards took famine over being an easy snack for predators. They have developed brown streaks going down their bodies, giving them an appearance akin to that of the rotten kelp that litters their home. If the camouflage and fleeing fail, the horns on their head have grown a few centimeters longer. They aren't as appealing of a snack, as many predators find themselves getting pricked if they bite for the head or neck. However, they still eat only insects, a difficult life when most of them lie in the forest.
Status: Vulnerable. You're not eaten as much, but you have little food.
Diet: Small insects

AlexanderML: Webbed feet, green coloration
Phrynosoma doggypaddlus
The Shallow Horned lizard took to the water, evolving small bits of webbing between their feet to allow them to swim. Unlike most other aquatic reptiles, which propel themselves with their tail, this lizard swims by kicking with its feet. It's difficult for these small lizards to fight the waves, often being tossed back onto the shore, and furthermore they cannot hold their breath for long. Still, the ability to swim has given them a small boon, in that small fish are now on their menu. These lizards have also turned brownish-green. They do their best to hide amongst the kelp, but their coloration seems more suited to life in a jungle than in rotting kelp.
Status: Endangered. You have a bit more food but you're a green lizard trying to hide in dead, brown, dried up kelp.
Diet: Small insects, small fish
Threats: Harpy eagle, Ocelot

DehEvil: More upright legs, frill
Phrynosoma nedrii
The Skittering Horned lizard is a bit taller than its cousins. Rather than drag themselves on the ground, these lizards hold themselves a few tiny centimeters above. Their legs have lost a bit of their sprawl, turning slowly instead to a design utilized by a group of reptiles that had died out long ago. By no longer dragging themselves, they're able to run a bit faster than their cousins, making them harder to catch. However if they go anywhere but in a straight line, they have a hard time. They have little balance with this design, no thanks to their short tail, and it's easy for them to fall over. This species is also using convergent evolution to its advantage. Small bits of cartilage have formed around the base of the skull, attached together by a small mane of skin. When this lizard is cornered, the lizard opens its mouth wide, expanding its rather small frill. This mostly works on the inexperienced juvenile predators, but adults don't quite fall for it.
Status: Endangered. You're still a relatively easy snack to catch, with your bluff defense being too small and your sense of balance gone. Plus you have little food.
Threats: Harpy eagle, Ocelot

GabrielGG: Forest camouflage, stronger claws
Phrynosoma scratchii
The Forest Horned Lizard leads a double life. They abandoned the beach and took to the forest floor, though they return to the beach to lay their eggs in the sand, before quickly running back to the safety of the trees. They've developed a brownish green color, much like the Shallow Horned lizard, but in this environment it works, to a degree. They have plenty of places to hide in the undergrowth, though they don't quite blend into the foliage. Food is much more readily available as well. Arguably they are currently the most successful species. To top it off, their claws are slowly becoming stronger. This gives them a bit of a stronger grip, though they aren't yet strong enough for climbing.
Status: Vulnerable. Beyond the short time of exposure when your species lays its eggs in the sand, your species is doing fairly well in a tropical forest. However their camouflage isn't perfect yet.

Alexcat989: Upright legs, larger teeth
Phrynosoma muldoonii
The Fanged Horned Lizard is the direct relative of the Skittering Horned Lizard. They share the same upright posture, and thus the same lack of balance. The Fanged Horned lizard, however, comes better armed. The once minuscule fangs in their mouth have grown larger, giving them a bit of bite. They use this to some effect against predators, but their diminutive size and their rather weak jaws leave much to be desired. They do serve a purpose however. These lizards can eat larger insects than the others, simply thanks to the fact that they can now tear them apart with their teeth. Anything from an ant to a small cockroach is a meal.
Status: Endangered. You have more food but you are just one of the many snacks for the predators on the beach.
Diet: Insects

GabrielGG

Post by GabrielGG » Mon Jan 25, 2016 10:09 pm

Three observations:

- I liked your "style", I really liked.

- Why the predators are the same?

- Can you show us the results of the dice?
I like potatoes.

DehEvil
Location: New Mombasa, fighting off an endless horde of aliens.

Post by DehEvil » Mon Jan 25, 2016 10:43 pm

How far would a vote for adaptive camouflage get me?
ImageImage
Inspirational quote by
joshthehawk wrote: your only limit is your limited imagination.
Random quote by
AOE22 wrote:hehheh
I have no idea why this was whatever my last copy was, but when i pasted it, I just had to put it somewhere.

dinoman9877

Post by dinoman9877 » Mon Jan 25, 2016 10:58 pm

GabrielGG wrote:Three observations:

- I liked your "style", I really liked.

- Why the predators are the same?

- Can you show us the results of the dice?
I said I'm not going to change the NPC species for now. Too much to keep track of.

I rolled no dice for a disaster this time. First round disaster would not be fair.
DehEvil wrote:How far would a vote for adaptive camouflage get me?
You would start out as most reptiles, fish, etc. do. You would develop basic chromatophores that would change slightly based on an environmental change. So your lizards could make themselves a bit lighter or a bit darker depending on their surroundings. However this still only works in their range of color, so the beach is where'd you stay.

AlexanderML

Post by AlexanderML » Mon Jan 25, 2016 11:32 pm

Cool, I like how this game is going.

Votes:

#1-Turn more into a brownish color to be able to hide near the kelp.

#2-Have the tail become like a fishes to be able to swim better.

20 characters!

Post by 20 characters! » Tue Jan 26, 2016 1:02 am

-evolve greenish scales to better hide amongst the vegetation we eat.

-develop a stronger jaw for crushing and chopping plants, true we can really chew yet but neither can iguanas really.
youtubeuserSara3346
20 characters! wrote:*explodes into a gore shower
combi2 wrote: ... thought that all cows could produce unlimited antibodies,boy am i a retard.
combi2 wrote:you can`t thats not how humans work
Grockstar wrote:Bats it is then. They are the poor man's snake.
ImageImageImage

20 characters!

Post by 20 characters! » Tue Jan 26, 2016 1:04 am

AlexanderML wrote:Cool, I like how this game is going.

Votes:

#1-Turn more into a brownish color to be able to hide near the kelp.

#2-Have the tail become like a fishes to be able to swim better.

Evol being a fluke in one vote seems unrealistic, most aquatic reptiles flatten their tails first before developing flukes.

Also you shape is very un-streamlined so keep this in mind.
youtubeuserSara3346
20 characters! wrote:*explodes into a gore shower
combi2 wrote: ... thought that all cows could produce unlimited antibodies,boy am i a retard.
combi2 wrote:you can`t thats not how humans work
Grockstar wrote:Bats it is then. They are the poor man's snake.
ImageImageImage

AlexanderML

Post by AlexanderML » Tue Jan 26, 2016 1:21 am

I kind of meant to say that the tails would be getting flat, and was comparing it to a fish to show what sides would have the most surface area. Sorry for the confusion.

ClassyAmoeba
Location: On a planet orbiting a star orbiting the all mighty Quasar, but at a safe distance

Post by ClassyAmoeba » Tue Jan 26, 2016 1:29 am

Votes bellow.

- Bigger Horns

- Broaden Diet
Do not provoke my wrath.
This will be my only warning

dinoman9877

Post by dinoman9877 » Tue Jan 26, 2016 1:37 am

ClassyAmoeba wrote:
- Broaden Diet
What did we say about vague votes?
20 characters! wrote:true we can really chew yet but neither can iguanas really.
Yes but iguana teeth are built to sheer plants. The iguanas don't need to chew because they can digest even cellulose.

Your lizards cannot digest cellulose, nor really chew plants all that well.