The Lizards of The Lost Isle (Evolution game)

Speculative evolution and forum games
dinoman9877

The Lizards of The Lost Isle (Evolution game)

Post by dinoman9877 » Sat Jan 23, 2016 5:40 pm

Hey there ladies and germs. After my long bout of silence, I'm officially back. Sadly, Evolution will not be coming back. Everything became too hectic for me to keep track of, so many species to work with.

So now I've decided to make a new one! I've learned from the last one and I can only hope to make this one better and last longer!

This game will work on a fictional island, inhabited by a small variety of animals. I will not make the NPC species evolve unless it gets to a point where the players are becoming too strong. I may also throw in other lucky hitchhikers from time to time to cause a bit more turmoil in the ecosystem and new challenges for the players. But for the most part I just want to leave the local animals alone.

Off the southwestern coast of Central America lies an island, untouched by man and home to very few creatures. It is a paradise for any species to live in, and one group of tiny hitchhikers will soon find themselves in this pristine ecosystem.

A storm left some poor creatures stranded on bits of flotsam to float in the ocean, left for dead. There were a fortunate few, however, who came to find refuge on the southern beaches of the Lost Isle. But this new home is not without danger, and this new environment is not best suited to these poor creatures.

Players will take control of a small population of the Flat-tail Horned Lizard, a species adapted to staying hidden in an open desert. It's up to you to adapt these creatures to their new jungle environment, or watch as nature ends them.

This is a map of the Lost Isle.

It is inhabited by a small array of creatures. Insects, reptiles, mammals, fish, birds, amphibians, they're all here. However the main threats materialize in the Harpy Eagle, the Caiman, and the Ocelot, with rats contributing as egg eaters and infant killers. Seabirds also frequent the area. Seagulls are a year-round sight, even reproducing on the Lost Isle, an opportunity most carnivores are aware of but few can take advantage of. Boars dominate the eastern coast, having turned some of the forest there into open plains. Their numbers are slowly growing, as there is nothing that can attack the fully grown adults, and not enough piglets die to warrant any steadying of the populace. Tufted Capuchin monkeys have also found their way onto the island. They are the only primate and dominate the canopy, though they must be ever wary, as the Harpy Eagles are their main predator and are quite proficient at hunting them.

The Lost Isle's geography is typical of your abandoned tropical island. A large beach, bordered by forest, which turns into dense jungle. And at the very center lies the remains of a long dormant volcano.

The Skull is the remains of the volcano, a worn down plateau from thousands of years of erosion. Only flying animals, or the nimblest of climbers, can reach the top. With the hawks making nests in the trees, the gulls quickly caught onto the fact that their eggs were safest at the top of this dead volcano. Rats are the only animals nimble enough to make the climb to the top, but a rat is no match for a colony of hundreds of seagulls, so usually the only eggs eaten are the dead ones the parents throw out of the nest.

The Skeleton is the remains of the collapsed northern slope of the Skull. This rock slide offers the only way up to the Skull for terrestrial animals, but currently rats are the only animals nimble enough to climb on the large rocks and steep inclines.

The Reef formed off of the portion of the Skeleton that tumbled into the sea. The mineral rich igneous rock fueled the growth of corals, leaving a small reef home to all kinds of fish. The predators sometimes come out here to try their luck at fishing, but none are dedicated full time to living off the bounty hidden below.

The Lone Lagoon is a saltwater lake formed in the remnants of another, much smaller volcano. A small underwater passage is the only entrance between it and the open sea, and is the only thing feeding the lake. The lake is almost completely inaccessible to the typical land dweller, due to the sheer rock walls surrounding it on all sides. It would take an exceptional climber to access it. Plants do cling to life on the edges of the lake on small beaches, but the true bounty is of the fish that live in the lake undisturbed by most outside forces. They come and go as they please through the passage, searching for food in the open ocean but spawning and keeping sheltered in the lake. Only hawks are able to access this bounty, but are not the most practiced in catching fish.

The Fig Thicket is a group of about ten to twenty fig trees, the only ones on the island. Figs are relatively new to the island and thus it is arduous and slow for them to take a foothold. All the animals of the island frequent here, whether to eat the figs or to hunt for the fig eaters. It is a year round source of food, though competition for what there is can be violent.

The Falls are small waterfalls formed on the western face of the Skull, where small pockets of subterranean water find their way out into the world, forming a small lake at the base where many animals come to drink. This herbivore hotspot brings carnivores as well.

There will be six players allowed in the game. You get two votes per round, and this is a slowly progressing game, so no instant flight.

Players:
1. GabrielGG
2. Alexcat989
3. ClassyAmoeba
4. DehEvil
5. AlexanderML
6. 20 Characters!

Updates won't be the most common, I'm saying this now for future reference. School takes precedence. But I will not let this game die if I can help it.
Last edited by dinoman9877 on Mon Jan 25, 2016 8:32 pm, edited 4 times in total.

GabrielGG

Re: The Lizards of The Lost Isle (Evolution game)

Post by GabrielGG » Sat Jan 23, 2016 6:06 pm

I WANT TO PLAY
I like potatoes.

20 characters!

Post by 20 characters! » Sat Jan 23, 2016 6:39 pm

As interesting as this sounds,I already have my fingers in too many pies. The more games are jamming more overwhelming things feel.

One thing I want to ask about, will there be geological events over the course of this game? Will the islands shape change, will new islands appear?
youtubeuserSara3346
20 characters! wrote:*explodes into a gore shower
combi2 wrote: ... thought that all cows could produce unlimited antibodies,boy am i a retard.
combi2 wrote:you can`t thats not how humans work
Grockstar wrote:Bats it is then. They are the poor man's snake.
ImageImageImage

ClassyAmoeba
Location: On a planet orbiting a star orbiting the all mighty Quasar, but at a safe distance

Post by ClassyAmoeba » Sat Jan 23, 2016 6:51 pm

20 characters! wrote:As interesting as this sounds,I already have my fingers in too many pies. The more games are jamming more overwhelming things feel.

One thing I want to ask about, will there be geological events over the course of this game? Will the islands shape change, will new islands appear?
I support this idea, and I am in.
Do not provoke my wrath.
This will be my only warning

dinoman9877

Post by dinoman9877 » Sat Jan 23, 2016 7:52 pm

20 characters! wrote:As interesting as this sounds,I already have my fingers in too many pies. The more games are jamming more overwhelming things feel.

I'm not sure if I wish to do that or not. Evolution died because there was too much stuff to keep track of. I don't think changing the island every round is on the top of my to do list.

Three slots left to fill.

DehEvil
Location: New Mombasa, fighting off an endless horde of aliens.

Post by DehEvil » Sat Jan 23, 2016 8:44 pm

Alright, I'll play. I like these games.

Hopefully all the games from the past don't all restart at the same time and overwhelm me...haha like that would ever happen.
ImageImage
Inspirational quote by
joshthehawk wrote: your only limit is your limited imagination.
Random quote by
AOE22 wrote:hehheh
I have no idea why this was whatever my last copy was, but when i pasted it, I just had to put it somewhere.

dinoman9877

Post by dinoman9877 » Sat Jan 23, 2016 8:47 pm

Two more slots, folks!

AlexanderML

Post by AlexanderML » Sat Jan 23, 2016 9:37 pm

I want to join!

20 characters!

Post by 20 characters! » Sat Jan 23, 2016 9:53 pm

I take back what I said, the other games are going relatively slowly, so I can afford to join this one .

Count me in.

-evolve leaf shaped teeth for Herbivory.
youtubeuserSara3346
20 characters! wrote:*explodes into a gore shower
combi2 wrote: ... thought that all cows could produce unlimited antibodies,boy am i a retard.
combi2 wrote:you can`t thats not how humans work
Grockstar wrote:Bats it is then. They are the poor man's snake.
ImageImageImage

dinoman9877

Post by dinoman9877 » Sat Jan 23, 2016 10:17 pm

All the slots are filled! Please post your votes!

20 characters, you have a second vote to give unless you want both in the same.