The Meek Shall Inherit Kobira

Speculative evolution and forum games
20 characters!

Re: The Meek Shall Inherit Kobira

Post by 20 characters! » Mon Nov 30, 2015 3:29 am

Ewery1 wrote:I finished the round, but can't post it for a few more hours. It will be up by 11:00pmEST.
Out of curiosity why can't you post it.
youtubeuserSara3346
20 characters! wrote:*explodes into a gore shower
combi2 wrote: ... thought that all cows could produce unlimited antibodies,boy am i a retard.
combi2 wrote:you can`t thats not how humans work
Grockstar wrote:Bats it is then. They are the poor man's snake.
ImageImageImage

Alexcat989

Post by Alexcat989 » Mon Nov 30, 2015 3:33 am

Ewery1 wrote:I finished the round, but can't post it for a few more hours. It will be up by 11:00pmEST.
https://youtu.be/nXq6Gmz4BAA
SCREW YOU I AM THE ARCH-EMPOROR
Staff of the Official Discord
Uses Cate/Cates pronouns

Ewery1

Post by Ewery1 » Mon Nov 30, 2015 3:53 am

TURN 4
On the planet Kobira, an ocean extends out in every direction for ages, with barren desert land on the surface. This planet has finally reached a state of homeostasis, where there are no more internal struggles, and the climate is relatively stable. The atmosphere is mostly carbon and nitrogen. The planet essentially resembles early Earth fairly identically. The volcanic hotspot that used to house the life of the planet has become clogged, and so life has adapted. From that hotspot, Winter Solars stretch outwards toward the equator, beginning the span around the planet. Some other life joins them, not stretching quite as far. There is a separate group of the descendants of Solars somewhere where the currents have kept them totally isolated.

Team Non Standard (20 characters!, averious)
Cryptobiosis: base 6+2 (50% support) = 8 (6)
Storing Vacuoles: base 2+2 (50% support) = 4

Sleeper Bacteria (Lithobacterium cryptobiosis)
Sleeper Lithotrophic Bacteria are single celled bacteria that used to feed off of random particles spurting out of the hotspot before it got clogged. They have a unique organelle that uses primarily sulfur oxidization and also makes use of iron oxidization to make glucose. They then make use of mitochondria in order to get the highest possible amount of energy out of this. In fact, their mitochondria have become so powerful that they can reuse one molecule of glucose a number of times with only the addition of a few molecules in between. They produce so much ATP that they have developed an additional organelle that stores ATP for future use when they are running low on iron or sulfur.

They reproduce asexually, have a nucleus and phospholipid bi-layer. They fed off of the iron and sulfur streaming out of the hotspot, but that is gone so they are starving. They can survive the colder temperatures though. Sleeper Lithotrophic Bacteria were completely dependent on the hotspot, because without it they cannot get the materials required to stay alive.

When the hotspot was clogged, their population dropped to CR immediately, due to them not having food at all. Some of them had an adaptation that induced cryptobiosis, making them go nearly completely extinct, and the surviving ones are all dormant. They are living off of the excess ATP stored in the vacuoles but if none of their species has a saving adaptation they will go extinct.

Appearance:
Brown minuscule bacteria floating aimlessly through the water
Environment:
Above a clogged volcanic hotspot in the middle of the ocean
Conservation Status:
CR

Team Potatoes 4 the Win v.3 (GabrielGG, geckoguy42, Alpha)
Cold Resistance: base 1+1 (33% support) = 2
Phagocytosis: base 3+1 (33% support) = 4
Shooting Acid: base 3+1 (33% support) = 4

Extinct Solars (Chloroherba malviva)
Extinct Solars were single celled bacteria that fed off of random particles spurting out of the vents, and then use chloroplasts in order to make glucose using the natural light filtering down from above the water. They absorbed all ranges of visible light (and a little infrared) except for a little yellow, blue, and all of green. In order to gain more light, they have developed flotation vacuoles that fill with oxygen and make them more buoyant. In order to utilize their chloroplasts fully, Extinct Solars had also developed mitochondria.

However, when the vents were clogged up they all froze to death because they didn’t evolve to be resistant to the cold. They attempted to adapt to the new climate by shooting acid at organisms from below and collecting the bits that fell down, but due to bad planning they would often get killed by falling acid and cold temperatures.

Extinct Solars could generally be found in groups, with flagella that propelled them through the water. They used these flagella to propel them hopefully away from the predators that could be found everywhere, but due to a lack of senses they are sort of aimless. They reproduced asexually, had a nucleus and phospholipid bi-layer.

Appearance:
Green minuscule bacteria propelled around with flagella that travel in groups
Environment:
Conservation Status:
EX

Team I will not be Sentient (ClassyAmeoba, joshthehawk)
Cold Resistance: base 6+2 (50% support) = 8 (6)
Sexual Reproduction: base 5+2 (50% support) = 7 (6)

Winter Solars (Pseudochloroherba cryosviva)
Winter Solars are colonial protists that use chloroplasts in order to make glucose using the light from the sun. This causes them to start producing a lot of oxygen. They have made a huge adaptation, large vacuoles that are constantly full of oxygen in order for them to float just under the surface of the ocean. In order to utilize their chloroplasts fully, Winter Solars have also developed mitochondria. They have also developed colonies that take up large surface areas, collecting light. They don’t share resources, but this layout prevents them from drifting too far. However, some of them get swept away because of the currents. A population has consistently started somewhere in the middle of the equator, genetically different from the original at this point.

They reproduce asexually, have a nucleus and phospholipid bi-layer. Winter Solars are now resistant to the cold, allowing them to stay at the surface for all of the year, they don’t have to worry about freezing, the organisms are not far enough north for that to occur. They have also developed fairly efficient sexual reproduction. All Winter Solars contain ‘sperm’ and ‘eggs’. When any given Winter Solar’s sperm production is completed over a long period of time, they are released it a huge gust that clouds through the water, and then afterwards that Winter Solar no longer produces the ‘sperm’. The cloud releases ammonium, which diffuses quickly through the water. All Solars have a singular specialized cell to the detect ammonium, when they receive it, a fully of eggs is released out the water. The whole process takes a few seconds due to the high number of Winter Solars, but it is amazing to watch.

Appearance:
Colonies of green minuscule bacteria floating aimlessly through the water
Environment:
Floating at the surface of the ocean, slowly spreading across the equator of Kobira
Conservation Status:
LC

Team Morpholotl (Grockstar124, Prudentia, Alexcat989, Yasahiro)
Eyespot: base 4+2 (50% support) = 6
Better Nucleus: base 4+1 (25% support) = 5
Improve Mitochondria: base 4+1 (25% support) = 5

Scavenging Etheroid (Xenorobustustunica mortovorus)
Scavenging Etheroids are single celled bacteria that eat the carcasses of dead Winter Solars. They use their phagocytosis to swallow cells, and then process them with lysosomes. Finally their mitochondria makes the glucose in their prey into ATP, and the rest of the proteins are reused in the cells. They are resistant to cold, allowing them to survive fine when the volcano is clogged. Scavenging Etheroids also have cilia that allow them to scour all over for falling dead matter. One huge advantage that they have is a glycerol-ether lipid cell membrane that is considerably stronger than any other cell and keeps them completely immune to any Oozers. There are rarely Oozers around them however due to the only alive species being at the top of the ocean, so their previous advantage is lost.

Scavenging Etheroids have gained an eyespot, that allows them to swim towards the brightness to get as close as possible to the Solars while still being in the right range of water pressure. They also have an adaptation that essentially says once they have gotten to the brightest level, they look for the darkest places, where Solars are the densest, waiting for their demise. Sometimes this takes a while, so their mitochondria has improved leaps and bounds. They reproduce asexually and have a semi-nucleus that houses their DNA. They could function completely independently from the hotspot as long as they had prey to eat. Scavenging Etheroids have begun to spread out a little, following the Winter Solars.

Appearance:
Minuscule ciliated bacteria moving slowly through the water with a unique glycerol-ether lipid membrane
Environment:
Conservation Status:
VU

Team Unnamed (DehEvil, Silly Otter)
Steal and Digestive Mitochondria: base 1+2 (50% support) = 3
Make Body Heat: base 2+2 (50% support) = 4

Critical Ciliovores (Villosusmotus protovive)
Critical Ciliovores are single celled bacteria that feed off of other organisms swimming around. Critical Ciliovores achieve this with a series of four major adaptations. First of all, they have an eyespot which allows them to distinguish light from dark, letting them get not too close to the vent, but not too far away. They then use their cilia to get to the optimal level of light in the middle where the majority of life is located. They then use phagocytosis to eat other cells, taking the needed nutrients into their body. They then make use of said nutrients with mitochondria, a common trend among ancestors of Kobiran Bacteria. The mitochondria also release a significant amount of heat, keeping them safe in the cold environment. They reproduce asexually, have a phospholipid bilayer, and a proper that houses their DNA and allows them to become far more complex. Their major problem is the lack of prey, and the Etheroids that eat them.

Appearance:
Minuscule bacteria with cilia and an eyespot in the middle of their bodies floating aimlessly through the water
Environment:
Conservation Status:
CR

Team NPC (NPC Bob, NPC Joe, NPC Jill, NPC Hagitha)
Cold Resistance: base 5+2 (50% support) = 7 (6)
Floating to the Top: base 6+1 (25% support) = 7 (6)
Sexual Reproduction: base 6+1 (25% support) = 7 (6)

Winter Oozers (Pseudocculant cryosviva)
Winter Oozers are the descendants of the first multicellular organisms on Kobira. They secrete a haze of acid that breaks down the surrounding cells for nutrients that are absorbed directly. Their mitochondria then process these molecules to make ATP, which is shared throughout the colony via a series of pumps that make sure it’s evenly distributed. This comes at the cost of an extra bit of ATP. It’s not particularly good but it works. In addition, they have gained a thick cell wall, which makes them immune to their own acid for the most part, eating away at only the outside shell, not the membrane.

A few things make Winter Oozers special from the rest of their now extinct brethren. They are resistant to cold and have vacuoles full of air that bring to the surface, allowing them to rest among the Solars and slowly digest them. They reproduce sexually by releasing spores into the water that attract ones from other Oozers. When two spores meet, they exchange DNA and form a new Oozer. In addition to this, they have a proper nucleus that houses very short DNA, but allows for more complexity compared to other organisms.

Appearance:
A colony of shelled protists that floats through the water with a cloud of acid around them
Environment:
Among the Winter Solars
Conservation Status:
VU

EVENT
Nothing too much else of note occurs, except for extinctions in the aftermath of the clogged hotspot. Pressure builds deep in the bowels of the Earth.

Extinct Solars are now extinct due to stupidity.
Efficient Lithotrophic Bacteria are now extinct due to the cold.
Swimming Solars are now extinct due to cold.
Bumbling Ciliovores are now extinct due to cold.
Advanced Oozers are now extinct due to cold.
Suspended Solars are now extinct due to overcrowding.

Revised Conservation Statuses:
Sleeper Bacteria: CR
Extinct Solars: EX
Winter Solars: LC
Scavenging Etheroids: VU
Critical Ciliovores: CR

NPC Data:
Efficient Lithotrophic Bacteria: EX
Swimming Solars: EX
Surface Solars: EN
Digesting Etheroid: VU
Bumbling Ciliovore (Subspecies): EX
Advanced Oozers: EX
Suspended Solars: EX
Proto-Etheroid: CR

Ecosystem
The vibrant ecosystem of the volcanic hotspot is dead. In its place, a new one slowly begins to form. On the surface of the ocean, Winter Solars stretch as far as the eye can see, Winter Oozers tucked in with them. Every so often, flashes of sperm and egg appear, gone as soon as they came to start new life. Ten or so feet beneath, Etheroids roam around, collecting the falling carcasses and waste of the creatures below. Ocassionally a Critical Ciliovore may appear, but they are likely to go extinct.

Overview
After teams Non Standard and Potatoes 4 the Win were stupid, I became really discouraged, which was the primary reason why this round took forever, in addition to my show. Sorry about that, but now my show is done, so we should be good.

If the Lithotrophs and Ciliovores don’t get their acts together, you guys will be extinct next round.

Now for the pressing issue, how to deal with the dead team. There are a few options, which I’ll be putting in a poll.
A) We say screw them, they’re permanently out of the game
B) They take over the group of stranded Surface Solar descendants at the equatorial tide-spot
C) They branch off an existing species
D) We split them up and divide them evenly amongst the current groups

I’ll vote also, but I’m not going to explicitly say what I think it should be.

Map:
Kobira Current.gif
Kobira Current.gif (42.71 KiB) Viewed 3800 times
The green is where the Solars are, and the orange is where all creatures are.
- Your local Red Panda with way too much power
Yasahiro wrote:Then improve the amphibity.... It's a word now, I made it.
Join my new classic competition game!

They're all grown up!
Image Image Image

Alexcat989

Post by Alexcat989 » Mon Nov 30, 2015 3:59 am

i say option D & i want alpha
Uses Cate/Cates pronouns

Yasahiro

Post by Yasahiro » Mon Nov 30, 2015 4:02 am

I assume my team can't actively hunt the Winter Solars due to lack of low pressure Tolerance?

If so, that is my vote:

Low Pressure Tolerance.

(Psssst, someone vote for multicellularity or something so we can get bigger. There is tons of food)
Silly Otter wrote: At least our trees aren't fruit-whores!
DRAGONS!
ImageImageImage

Yasahiro

Post by Yasahiro » Mon Nov 30, 2015 4:05 am

Ewery1 wrote:...
Big question. Do things that already have eyespots or ways of digesting stuff at single cellular level get it upgraded somewhat once they become multicellular or some sort of bonus when we finally decide to evolve eyes or digestive system or...?
Silly Otter wrote: At least our trees aren't fruit-whores!
DRAGONS!
ImageImageImage

Ewery1

Post by Ewery1 » Mon Nov 30, 2015 4:08 am

Yasahiro wrote:
Ewery1 wrote:...
Big question. Do things that already have eyespots or ways of digesting stuff at single cellular level get it upgraded somewhat once they become multicellular or some sort of bonus when we finally decide to evolve eyes or digestive system or...?
It's like a springboard, so you get a bonus when you finally decide to evolve those things fully.
- Your local Red Panda with way too much power
Yasahiro wrote:Then improve the amphibity.... It's a word now, I made it.
Join my new classic competition game!

They're all grown up!
Image Image Image

Alexcat989

Post by Alexcat989 » Mon Nov 30, 2015 4:11 am

did someone say Multicellular, THAT'S MY QUE
-MULTICELLULAR
Uses Cate/Cates pronouns

Grockstar124

Post by Grockstar124 » Mon Nov 30, 2015 4:21 am

Supporting or voting for multicellularity.
See how the game of life is never won, you only play
Bore him and you will find you're crumpled up and thrown away
Clinging to fate and blaming it when life won't go your way
Such a laugh, HA! Life is just a game!

↑The Game of Life↓

DehEvil
Location: New Mombasa, fighting off an endless horde of aliens.

Post by DehEvil » Mon Nov 30, 2015 4:36 am

I still dont understand how the etheroids are eating us :|
ImageImage
Inspirational quote by
joshthehawk wrote: your only limit is your limited imagination.
Random quote by
AOE22 wrote:hehheh
I have no idea why this was whatever my last copy was, but when i pasted it, I just had to put it somewhere.