Have Faith, But Tie Your Camel; A Khawarij CK3 AAR

Speculative evolution and forum games
Sassy Cassie

Have Faith, But Tie Your Camel; A Khawarij CK3 AAR

Post by Sassy Cassie » Wed Sep 09, 2020 2:36 am

"As a child, one of the many tutors at court, an elderly man who was named for the Prophet Isa Alayhi s-salām1, told me an Hadith2 of the Prophet Muhammad Alayhi s-salām, which has stuck with me from that day forward.

One of the Ummah3 had allowed his camel to roam free, reasoning that faith in Allah alone could lead protect one from all woes or struggle, and therefore he took no risk in allowing his livestock to roam free, so long as he had faith.

Muhammad Alayhi s-salām, after questioning this man for his reasoning, and being answered in kind, responded with the phrase, "Tie your camel first, then put your faith in Allah."

The lesson of this story, one which my tutor was always firm in imparting upon me, was that faith alone was not enough. It must be paired with action; labour, carefulness, or even hardship in the name of Allah.

Such is a lesson that, while I took it to heart, I never truly understood. That is, until the death of my father, and my inheritance of his realm. The Qur'an tells the Ummah that they must give from what they have in excess, to all those who are in need, and to be good natured to all, even at times when it feels right to be angry, unless someone should attack you first. While this was all well and good, understanding this, and believing this, is useless without applying this to yourself. Thus, it became my prerogative to do so.

Since then, I have been confronted by a world seemingly designed to test the faith of the Ummah of the ash-Shurah4 faithful. The fates of the Tamazight5, who have been strongly aligned with the ash-Shurah for centuries, are at the brink of destruction, by Arab colonizers.

Of course, there are the remnants of the false Kalipha al-Umayyad, who began the practice of ruling the Islamic world as if it were a Roman hamlet, passing it from father to son.

Then, closer to home, the Grand Amir al-Idrisidiyya, ruling over our homeland with an iron fist, claiming to be righteous in their own claim as Kaliphas of the Ummat Shi'at Ali6.

While the Ummat al-Najdati ash-Shurah is faithful, in believing that the Sunni and Shi'a will be swept from our lands, and we will be allowed to live in peace, in Africa, they have grown complacent. This faith must be tempered with action. If nothing else, I believe my rule can provide that."

1. Isa, the Arabic spelling of Jesus, whom they view as a Prophet. "Alayhi s-salām," is an honorific granted to Muslim Prophets, meaning, "Gods peace be upon him."
  2. Hadith are the collections of traditions containing sayings of the prophet Muhammad which, with accounts of his daily practice (the Sunna), constitute the major source of guidance for Muslims apart from the Qur'an.
  3. Arabic for, "Community," which is generally meant to describe a super-national community with a common history. In this context, it is the Ummat al-Islām, or Community of the Faithful.
  4. A sect of Islam which, OTL, faded from relevance, that originates in the First Fitna. The name, "ash-Shura," means, "council," or, "consultation," in reference to their belief that the Kalipha can only be named through consultation with God. However, they are known in the modern day as the, "Khawarij," or the, "Kharijites," which is Arabic for, "deserters," or, "traitors," as they are accused of being such by other sects of Islam, as they abandoned Ali, when he agreed to arbitration on the matter of inheriting the Kaliphate, whereas the as-Shura believed this was blasphemous, as only God could choose the true successor. The ash-Shurah were a relatively extreme sect, who believed that God alone could arbitrate who was fit to be the Khalifa of Islam, with some even believing that the position could remain unfilled until God had chosen a successor. Branches of ash-Shurah differ over many things, mostly on matters of how exactly God is to chose a Caliph, though they are largely in agreement that this position should not be hereditary. The only remaining, major branch of as-Shurah is that of the Ibadis, who no longer refer to themselves as ash-Shurah, as they are far less strict in their interpretations of the Qur'an and Hadith.
  5. The Tamazight, or Berbers(though this is considered a racial slur by the Tamazight, and I would prefer you not use that phrase, thanks), are a wide range of indigenous cultures of northern Africa, whose origins predate even the foundation of Carthage by a wide margin. These cultures would be slowly assimilated into the Arabic culture of the Islamic ruling classes, OTL, though they have strong remnants throughout Morocco, Algeria, Libya, and the Sahara Desert. At the time that this is set in, the Tamazight still held sway in large parts of Northern Africa, with some Tamazight confederations even uniting against the Arabs and creating powerful Islamic states in Iberia and North Africa. This would end, however, after the Reconquista period in Iberia, and the Tamazight by modern times are largely a marginalized group in most Arabized African states.
  6. The Shi'at Ali, or Partisans of Ali, are the second main branch of Islam, which believes that Ali was the true Kalipha of Islam. They are known, in the western world, as the Shi'ites.
Last edited by Sassy Cassie on Sat Sep 12, 2020 3:50 am, edited 2 times in total.
"Always trust Greeks bearing gifts. Your friendly neighborhood psycopath might be that gift."
-AΘE22
Tiberius wrote: Friendocracy? Obviously an incredibly alien and classist society. Down with the Charismatic Elite!!! Friends for Everyone!!!

Sassy Cassie

Re: Have Faith, But Tie Your Camel; A Khawarij CK3 AAR

Post by Sassy Cassie » Wed Sep 09, 2020 2:47 am

I WOULD LIKE TO POINT OUT, TO ANY READERS WHO MAY SEE THIS:

I am not, myself, an ash-Shurah Muslim. I will not pretend to speak for ash-Shurah Muslims, Ibadis, or any other Islamic faith. I am trying to do my best to represent the faiths present in CK3 properly, while still portraying them from the viewpoint of an ash-Shurah historical figure. I get most of my information about this periods from (A) My girlfriend, who is a Shi'ite Muslim, and as big of a fan of history as I am, and (B) Individual research on the internet. As such, any information I present here will likely be flawed, so please do not use my info blerbs as research or sources, thank you. They exist purely to give context for the situation, as I understand it.

Also, I am doing my best to detach my own beliefs from this AAR, and portray what I think these specific people would believe, instead. This is, again, flawed, but I just wanted to be clear that these aren't all exactly my own personal beliefs.

I am open to mild criticism, but this is also of note: Please do not be mean, as I am fragile as a dried leave from autumn, and I will break easily.
"Always trust Greeks bearing gifts. Your friendly neighborhood psycopath might be that gift."
-AΘE22
Tiberius wrote: Friendocracy? Obviously an incredibly alien and classist society. Down with the Charismatic Elite!!! Friends for Everyone!!!

Sassy Cassie

Post by Sassy Cassie » Wed Sep 16, 2020 1:37 am

"As it came that I was overlooking the Atlasic Mountains1, I stand in deep contemplation. The road to victory against al-Idrisidiyya would be an arduous one. However, it was a necessary one. These sons of the Arab conquerors are encroaching upon us, now targeting our brethren to the north,in the Rif Mountains, as part of their next, "great conquest." It would only be a matter of time, before they would come after us, the last of the sedentary, "al-Barbar." Thus, the banners would be raised. The subjugation of our southern, nomadic brethren, while distasteful, was necessary to secure our survival.

Sheikh Tiljad, while strong, was already involved in raiding and warfare, in his own homeland. However, seeing us as the greatest threat, he had moved his entire army through a pass in the Atlasic Mountains, and began attempting to capture my own home... His army is greater than mine, but my men are now defending their families from starvation, and we have capable commanders. I have high hopes.

With our reluctant enemy defeated, and his territory being surrounded by the carrion birds of the south, we will seize Agadir, and settle in, before the end of the campaigning season.

With the armies settled, preparing for the next season, I have returned home, and briefly returned to my writings. In my time since I have returned, I have taken my time to familiarize myself with my wife... Though I feel nothing, when our bodies are intertwined, I feel a great love for her mind, and we spend most of our revelries in discourse over the faith...

She belongs to the Ummat al-Sunnah2, particularly the very free-spirited Sunnah faithful which has developed over the last century in the Ummaya-owned Hispania. She makes strong, spirited arguments for the freedoms of all the faithful to live in peace, which would be considered kafir by my own faitful brethren. However, the necessity of her connections with our Rif brethren has allowed me to shield her from persecution... Though I would never abandon my belief that only Allah Subhanahu Wa Ta-A’la3 can decree who is fit to be Kalipha of the Ummah, her arguments are... appealing to me. Especially those pertaining towards the acceptance of people such as me, who would prefer the embrace of men...

Nevertheless, it is our duty, ultimately, to find carnal embrace as spouses.

The nature of warfare in the desert is a peculiar one... There is rarely any formal warfare. Raiding oftimes escalates, should it be too successful, into conquest, and wars of conquest are dynamic and chaotic. Though that is not the custom of my people, in most cases... The fact that there was never a formal peace, between myself and Sheikh Tiljad, means that there is no legal precedent barring me from continuing, should I wish. I, however, have decided to await the birth of my child with my spouse. If I am blessed with a son, I shall name him for my own father, al-Yasa...

It comes time, yet again, to raise my banners, and strike south into the desert coasts. I am confident that I shall win, Inshaa Allah4, and be allowed to strike deeper into the deserts.

Sensing weakness, and assuming that I would not be able to defend them, one of the banners of the Idrisidiyya has struck past the Rif mountains, to attack my father-in-law. They are wrong, in this assumption, and it shall be the death of them...

However, my first priority must be to eliminate my enemy to the south. Indeed, shouldI leave him un-tamed, he would be free to raid my lands and lay waste to my plans.

My efforts to protect my people, and my faith, have not gone unnoticed. Amongst the Ummat al-ash-Shura, I have gained a reputation as a true Muslim; a devoted servant of Allah Subhanahu Wa Ta-A’la. This will lend legitimacy to my future endeavors in the faith, and allow me to be more ambitious, in my conquests, without incurring the anger of the Ummah.

While still on campaign, taking the road up the coasts to the Rif Mountains, I have received news from my home... My wife fell pregnant, shortly after my leaving for the south, and is expecting soon. I have ordered my scribes to deliver his name to my home... He will be named after his father, myself.

However, the same scribe delivers more devastating news... one of my other wives has delivered her own... stillborn baby. If it were not for my needed presence in the battlefield, I would personally be there to comfort her, and to mourn for myself. Thus, I have decided to leave the army, to do just that.

Our enemy, Sheikh Culema of Tangiers, had made camp in Cueta, besieging the walls of the city. From what I heard, in my time of mourning, the combined armies of my Riffan brethren, and mine, led by my step-father, totally defeated them. They were driven from the city, and would be forced to surrender, over the next year.

With my family secure in their survival, it is now time to return to the south. My armies are to spend a year to prepare, at which point I will send them south with a commander who is fiercely loyal to me. It is to be that he shall pacify the nomads of the southern deserts, Inshaa Allah.

In that time, I shall be devoting my own time to my home; my family, my studies, and my lands. Particularly, I will focus on my son, the senior of my twins. Taking after me, he has become enraptured with watching, listening, and thinking... Though it is too early in his life for me to say definitively, I feel as if he will be an astute young man.

News has arrived from my retainer, who has led the war in the south. The enemy, attempting to mimic the near-success of my last enemy, had made the same crossing through the Atlasic Mountains, passing through the lands of al-Idrisidiyya in hopes to besiege the capital. However, my commander gave chase, meeting with my father-in-law in Marrakesh, to destroy them. He is confident that the enemy will soon surrender, should he continue the attack.

With my control of the south nearly cemented, I have become the de facto leader of nearly all of the al-Baran Tamazight of what the Arabs refer to as, "Morocco." This has given me an opportunity, as I am now effectively unopposed among al-Baran as of now... I have declared myself Amir and protector of the al-Baran peoples.

In this time, I have been prolific in multiple ways. I have lain with all of my wives, reformed the administration of my lands, and engaged in many scholarly activities among the faithful. Importantly, my First Wife, and one of my younger wives, have both become fat with yet more children, of mine. They are both deep into this pregnancy.
this dude is having alot of hetero sex for a man who is exclusively gay

Having spent his time securing his gains, my retainer who was leading the southern expedition has moved to seize the southernmost Muslim lands of the desert, just stopping short of the pagan lands of West Africa. I have no doubt that he will acheive a great victory, and my control over the south Maghreb will be totally secure, from all but al-Idrisidiyya.

All is secure, now, but for one last push. I will likely spend much of the next decade preparing, for what is to come, is a grand and arduous risk. However, should I succeed, the Ummat ash-Shura shall, for once, be safe and secure in it's reign over the Maghreb."

1. The Tamazight name for the High Atlas Mountain range.
  2. The predominant branch of Islam OTL, Sunnism believes that Abu-Bakr(as opposed to Ali) was the rightful successor to Muhammed. Sunnism focuses on the collective will of the group, emphasizing consensus on religious, social, political, legal, and doctrinal issues.
  3. "The most glorified, the most high," is a Muslim honorific which follows the name of God, oft times shortened to, "SWT," in the Latin alphabet. It encompasses one of the 99 names of God, in Islamic theology.
  4. "If God wills," or, "God Willing." The phrase comes from a Quranic command which commands Muslims to use it when speaking of future events.The phrase is commonly used by Muslims, Arab Christians, and Arabic-speakers of other religions to refer to events that one hopes will happen in the future. It expresses the belief that nothing happens unless God wills it and that his will supersedes all human will.
-AΘE22

Tiberius

Post by Tiberius » Wed Sep 16, 2020 3:15 am

Are you planning to form a faith with this character? If you are, make sure to do Haj whenever you can, assuming thats the muslim version of the christian pilgirmage. I can't quite recall the spelling. It should give tons of piety and you need tons to split.

Sassy Cassie

Post by Sassy Cassie » Wed Sep 16, 2020 3:45 am

Tiberius wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 3:15 am
Are you planning to form a faith with this character? If you are, make sure to do Haj whenever you can, assuming thats the muslim version of the christian pilgirmage. I can't quite recall the spelling. It should give tons of piety and you need tons to split.
Funnily enough, while the game treats the Hajj like a normal pilgrimage, Muslims can do both a pilgrimage and a Hajj, so that means that I can do the Hajj and the make a pilgrimage to Jeruselum...

Anyways I've already actually played a good bit past this... I was planning on fitting the rest of this characters life into one post, but realized 3 hours into writing this that it was infeasible.
-AΘE22