Burghers of Frye

Speculative evolution and forum games
Sassy Cassie

Re: Burghers of Frye

Post by Sassy Cassie » Tue Oct 08, 2019 11:41 pm

Is my idea to ask Ferran to deal with the Duke acceptable or would Tiber have to make that vote himself?
"Always trust Greeks bearing gifts. Your friendly neighborhood psycopath might be that gift."
-AΘE22
Tiberius wrote: Friendocracy? Obviously an incredibly alien and classist society. Down with the Charismatic Elite!!! Friends for Everyone!!!

BakedToast

Post by BakedToast » Wed Oct 09, 2019 1:47 am

Sassy Cassie wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 11:41 pm
Is my idea to ask Ferran to deal with the Duke acceptable or would Tiber have to make that vote himself?
I think you’ll be able to answer that question, and many others that may arise in the future, with this counter question:
Do I have reasonably sufficient in-character knowledge to make the action as I have described it?
If yes, then fine.
If no, either reword the action so that the answer to the above question is yes, or scrap the action entirely in favor of something else.

As for DM negotiations between other players: while I don’t want to disallow such interaction, I strongly recommend using the thread itself in IC communication (such as sending private emissaries), as it not only makes the plot coherent for readers, but more enjoyable for other players as well, particularly if they do not stray from the clear distinction of OOC vs IC knowledge.
Last edited by BakedToast on Wed Oct 09, 2019 4:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
I Sculpt Tabletop Miniatures!

naturegirl1999

Post by naturegirl1999 » Wed Oct 09, 2019 2:02 am

Sassy Cassie, if you are ever questioning whether you can do something, just ask “Would Benaros know the required information to think of doing this?” Remember, he has just entered Frye and doesn’t know much about any of the families yet. Benaros definitely would not know of any of the Elder families’...histories

If you have trouble thinking IC, just read actions that start with Benaros‘ name, so that you know only what Benaros knows. Once you’ve got the hang of thinking IC, you can start reading things done by other families as long as you don’t use information Benaros wouldn’t know
I'm gonna put the last thing I copied here. Will change each time I visit for variety
Korobeiniki

BakedToast

Post by BakedToast » Wed Oct 09, 2019 4:04 am

naturegirl1999 wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 2:02 am
don’t use information Benaros wouldn’t know
You nailed it perfectly! :mrgreen: Great job!
Sassy Cassie wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:59 am
[About me not writing biannual census records by hand]
Awwh, you're no fun! Me and Prudentia are trying to do exactly that, for Blood of Eyria! Why cant you do the same, meanie! xD
Maybe it should have some effect on taxes, and the ability to tax certain groups? I actually had primarily political reasons behind this. Plus, in RP, this would increase the effeciency of taxation as a whole.
The reason I am not doing this is quite understandable. I'll attempt to further clarify below.

1. I do not find that fun, and would in fact find it very time consuming and unenjoyable, which would make it harder to motivate myself for the turn reports.
2. While I do allow rule sets and processes to be changed IC by characters' actions, the basic format is not intended to be overhauled. To add statistical calculation into a system that doesn't regard statistics at all at this point would be a train-wreck, as the structure is already precarious as-is. Doing it from the ground up could have worked, but that is not where we are with this system. And there's no way I'm rebuilding the system, sorry.
3. Frye's canon is not based around Quantities, but Qualities. What I mean by this, for example, if you have read the past turn reports, is that you have never seen me make mention of the amount of income in numerical form any group makes (it is never x dollars, but "a generous amount", or "a modest sum", etc). You also never see direct mention of how many individuals are alotted to each family, or how many employees a particular business has, or how many soldiers are in the Count's personal army. This is because Burghers of Frye is not a game of numbers and 100% accurate politics, but is rather a story-building, universe-exploring, intrigue-generating, and drama-inviting experience.

As for taxation effect, that could still be possible, just remember that it would be an abstracted situation, not a quantified one. And specific groups are already able to be taxed. I.E. the Medicant Tax, the Foreign Merchant's Tax, the Bailiff's tax, etc; many examples in Frye's canon history have involved taxation of specific groups for specific groups. Yes, the system would increase taxation efficiency, and like I said, the census could be created, and even inquired and acted upon; it just simply won't be statistically available for the players to read OOC.

I hope this has helped to clarify a few things for you.

Sassy Cassie

Post by Sassy Cassie » Wed Oct 09, 2019 4:24 pm

So, I'll just attempt to employ Arsons independently. Sorry h

I wasn't being serious when I was saying you were no fun, sorry for not making that clear >~<
"Always trust Greeks bearing gifts. Your friendly neighborhood psycopath might be that gift."
-AΘE22
Tiberius wrote: Friendocracy? Obviously an incredibly alien and classist society. Down with the Charismatic Elite!!! Friends for Everyone!!!

Sassy Cassie

Post by Sassy Cassie » Wed Oct 09, 2019 4:31 pm

(I edited my actions post)
-AΘE22

BakedToast

Post by BakedToast » Thu Oct 10, 2019 5:04 am

Sassy Cassie wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 4:24 pm
No problem. But... that wasn't the only issue here. You still need to focus on what Benaros would know. He doesn't know that the Duke plans to visit Frye! Why is he trying to make controlled burns in the forest? IC vs OOC knowledge is what I'm stressing here. It's important. Not trying to quash your actions, but merely make the situation fair, as I don't pander to meta-gaming and OOC exploitation.

naturegirl1999

Post by naturegirl1999 » Thu Oct 10, 2019 9:02 am

If Benaros wants controlled burns, maybe he’s doing it to clear land for buildings he plans to build?
I'm gonna put the last thing I copied here. Will change each time I visit for variety
Korobeiniki

Sassy Cassie

Post by Sassy Cassie » Thu Oct 10, 2019 5:06 pm

BakedToast wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 5:04 am
Sassy Cassie wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 4:24 pm
No problem. But... that wasn't the only issue here. You still need to focus on what Benaros would know. He doesn't know that the Duke plans to visit Frye! Why is he trying to make controlled burns in the forest? IC vs OOC knowledge is what I'm stressing here. It's important. Not trying to quash your actions, but merely make the situation fair, as I don't pander to meta-gaming and OOC exploitation.
Okay, sorry. You dont have to apologize. I'm just dumb 😅

EDIT: Are my votes good now?
-AΘE22

naturegirl1999

Post by naturegirl1999 » Thu Oct 10, 2019 5:27 pm

Looks good to me
Now Asura, Elforche, Tannell, Ferran, and possibly a 5th family though I'm not certain, need to post actions now. This month will likely be interesting
Korobeiniki