REACTIVATE MODDING - Creature Forwards/Backwards Compatibility Mod (CFBCM) and New Crash-Resistant Creature Editor (NCRC

A forum for mods and the modders who mod them.
TentacledTunicate
Location: Typing from a waterplanet, far far away, inhabited by intelligent, tentacled tunicates.

REACTIVATE MODDING - Creature Forwards/Backwards Compatibility Mod (CFBCM) and New Crash-Resistant Creature Editor (NCRC

Post by TentacledTunicate » Fri Jul 29, 2016 2:26 pm

First of all:
-This forum hasn't received a stream of posts for quite a while, so I intend to use this post to “reactivate” this forum; and
-I believe that there are some features of Species ALRE that we’d want that would be possible through modding.

As in my post, viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2012, I think that Species should have some kind of Creature Forwards/Backwards Compatibility Mod where you could convert a creature’s saved text file and image that only works for certain versions to be converted to another form that could be used for a different version, thus allowing forwards and backwards compatibility with a creature. For example, you could input into the mod the files for a creature of 0.4.0, and the output would be the same creature’s files, only good for another version, such as 0.9.0. This could also be done in reverse, and with all of the existing alpha versions of Species. Thus, you could get all of your meat-piling creatures from 0.4.0 and see how they’d work in 0.8.1, or finally get one of your coveted creatures from a previous version of the game to be converted into a form that could be usable for a different version of your choice! I have considered whether a Save Forwards/Backwards Compatibility Mod would be worthwhile, but I feel that because of the enormous differences between each and every version of Species and their fundamental differences in coding, it would be harder to, in simpler terms, "adapt a simulation for its creatures than to adapt creatures for a simulation."

Another Mod that I think could be created came to mind when I read one of Quasar’s posts on the Creature Editor:
Quasar wrote:Nyyyyyeeehh... I can't do it. I can't keep quiet anymore.

As much as I'd love to see someone actually crack the save file code, it'd be cruel of me to "fail to mention" that the game does, in fact, already have a creature editor. :)

A few disclaimers as to why I've stayed quiet and haven't advertised it...

- it will not be in the final game.
- it's strictly debug functionality, ie. not very user friendly and crashes occasionally (it was originally created to test different configurations of body plans and allow us to create marketing screenshots)
- it makes very apparent the limitations of the creature engine and the lack of content for some items. Be warned, the game feels a lot more 'alpha' after you try to make something with it.
- it occasionally consumes the souls of the innocent to fuel it's eternal rage against all living things.

So, if you still want to play with Satans Creature Editor, here's what you do:

Press "Shift-G" to unlock it.
Select a creature to start from.
Click the Genetic Engineering button.

Good luck!
As Quasar has said, the Creature Editor wouldn’t be available in the final game due to it being “strictly debug functionality” and also for it being to “allow us [Species ALRE Development Team] to create marketing screenshots.” It also has limitations in that “the game feels a lot more ‘alpha’ after you try to make something with it [Creature Editor].” Therefore, I believe that a mod such as the “New Crash-Resistant Creature Editor” (NCRCE) would be a welcome mod to future versions of Species. If a mod were to be made, I’d probably want it to be convenient, crash-resistant, and fun to use. In conveniency, the Creature Editor is quite spartan. It only has up and down arrows to change features through numbers, and sometimes this can result in wasting time and/or becoming impatient while constantly clicking on those tiny arrows to change a feature. So, I propose we could have something more convenient, such as a scroll bar. You would simply scroll up or down on a certain feature’s number to change it, and not have to click. You would also be able to just type in the number desired for the feature, though there would have to be limits to keep the game realistic. To make the mod crash-resistant, we’d have to pinpoint errors in the current Creature Editor and correct them in the new mod, as well as integrate the mod with games made in the future. Of course, this would require lots of time, but if done, could make the Creature Editor feature an enjoyable part of the Species ALRE gameplay experience.

When Quasar says, “As much as I'd love to see someone actually crack the save file code [for creatures],...” I think I’ve found a clue, or even a possible definite answer, to how the save file code for creatures work. If you open up the Creature Editor, and opened some of the tabs, you would probably notice a lot of numbers next to the features and behaviors that you edit using the Editor. I think that those numbers in the Creature Editor (if you opened up all of the tabs) correspond in some way with the numbers in the creature save file, possibly directly. However, cracking this code for the Creature Save Files would probably have to involve us gamers and programmers who enjoy the Species ALRE simulation to work together. The solving of this code would also be instrumental to the creation of the CFBCM, as it could allow for the commencement of finding ways to convert the code into other versions of the code for other game versions.

Finally, I propose that we have some kind of contest, where gamers and programmers unite to create either a CFBCM or a NCRCE for Species ALRE. The reason why I propose this contest is simply so not for this idea to simply become a meaningful idea just floating around in the Modding thread. If possible, there would be a set deadline (probably around 2 months from the commencement of the contest) where the contestants would show their finished products (mods) to be used in Species. We could also just all work together on this, which would be even better. However, I’d still like to await the response of you forum members and see on how you think about these ideas.

Please post below any questions, concerns, or comments on this topic. Quasar, if you plan to do any overhauls that involve these ideas, please contact me so that I can swiftly remove them from this post.
Last edited by TentacledTunicate on Sat Jul 30, 2016 1:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
That is a blue bell tunicate in my profile image...

I support creating a Creature Forwards/Backwards Compatibility Mod (CFBCM) and New Crash-Resistant Creature Editor (NCRC)! Read: http://www.speciesgame.com/forum/viewto ... =25&t=2013

ClassyAmoeba
Location: On a planet orbiting a star orbiting the all mighty Quasar, but at a safe distance

Re: REACTIVATE MODDING - Creature Forwards/Backwards Compatibility Mod (CFBCM) and New Crash-Resistant Creature Editor (

Post by ClassyAmoeba » Sat Jul 30, 2016 1:32 am

Quasar wrote:This could be a problem
I do not believe in private messaging in the manner you propose, which is why I am posting this. This is also, way too early in the game to even consider a contest when Quasar would, most likely have at least one overhaul that would ruin everything.

This sounds like someone with a total mod complex
Do not provoke my wrath.
This will be my only warning

TentacledTunicate
Location: Typing from a waterplanet, far far away, inhabited by intelligent, tentacled tunicates.

Re: REACTIVATE MODDING - Creature Forwards/Backwards Compatibility Mod (CFBCM) and New Crash-Resistant Creature Editor (

Post by TentacledTunicate » Sat Jul 30, 2016 1:46 am

ClassyAmoeba wrote:
I do not believe in private messaging in the manner you propose, which is why I am posting this. This is also, way too early in the game to even consider a contest when Quasar would, most likely have at least one overhaul that would ruin everything.

Though it is quite early in the game, Quasar has already stated that he's not going to put the Creature Editor in the final game, even with people liking it, so I think we already have confirmation on that the Creature Editor will most likely not by overhauled. On the feature of a Creature Forwards/Backwards Compatibility Mod, this Mod would only apply for the alpha versions (maybe the final version if Quasar allows it?), but I see no reason why Quasar would want to develop this Mod that would enable transferring creatures between versions of a game rather than continuing to expand the simulation's abilities. Even if a CFBCM came out, it would probably be far, far into the future, and most likely created simply by Mod makers.

I support creating a Creature Forwards/Backwards Compatibility Mod (CFBCM) and New Crash-Resistant Creature Editor (NCRC)! Read: http://www.speciesgame.com/forum/viewto ... =25&t=2013

ClassyAmoeba
Location: On a planet orbiting a star orbiting the all mighty Quasar, but at a safe distance

Post by ClassyAmoeba » Sat Jul 30, 2016 2:34 am

TentacledTunicate wrote:
ClassyAmoeba wrote:

Though it is quite early in the game, Quasar has already stated that he's not going to put the Creature Editor in the final game, even with people liking it, so I think we already have confirmation on that the Creature Editor will most likely not by overhauled. On the feature of a Creature Forwards/Backwards Compatibility Mod, this Mod would only apply for the alpha versions (maybe the final version if Quasar allows it?), but I see no reason why Quasar would want to develop this Mod that would enable transferring creatures between versions of a game rather than continuing to expand the simulation's abilities. Even if a CFBCM came out, it would probably be far, far into the future, and most likely created simply by Mod makers.
I sense you have a point, yet as the simulation becomes ever more nuanced, the organisms of the past would be unable to compete, and rapidly die out, so why bother? Also, sorry if this sounds insulting and condescending(I probably did that already), but perhaps it would be a good idea to make everything a tad bit more precise.
By the way, if even one of Therminators suggestions went through, a creature of a past simulation would be rendered obsolete, or at least face great difficulty in survival.
Do not provoke my wrath.

TentacledTunicate

Post by TentacledTunicate » Sat Jul 30, 2016 2:56 am

ClassyAmoeba wrote:
TentacledTunicate wrote:
ClassyAmoeba wrote:

I sense you have a point, yet as the simulation becomes ever more nuanced, the organisms of the past would be unable to compete, and rapidly die out, so why bother? Also, sorry if this sounds insulting and condescending(I probably did that already), but perhaps it would be a good idea to make everything a tad bit more precise.
By the way, if even one of Therminators suggestions went through, a creature of a past simulation would be rendered obsolete, or at least face great difficulty in survival.
"By the way,... a creature of a past simulation would.... at least face great difficulty in survival."

This is the main purpose of creating a CFBCM - we want to import creatures exported from other alpha versions of the game and see how they suffer/thrive in different versions of Species. We would also want to see how creatures exported from different alpha versions react when imported to the current version of Species. How would they react, and would they evolve? This is the main purpose for the CFBCM. Even if some creatures of past simulations are rendered obsolete, there will always be the few that will amaze us and allow us to experiment more with evolution.

P.S. Also, what is a Therminator?

ClassyAmoeba

Post by ClassyAmoeba » Sat Jul 30, 2016 4:02 am

Ah, now I see your point. Therminator is a user who posts these larger than average suggestions in the suggestions sub-forum. Also, the reason I replied in the first place is that, well, instructing everything to go to PM is not exactly an idea that flies well. In chit-chat or science, or anywhere more active than this place, you would face severe difficulties. Who knows, with a community this small, you might be the first modder in the year.
Do not provoke my wrath.

TentacledTunicate

Post by TentacledTunicate » Tue Dec 27, 2016 11:45 pm

It's been a long time since I was on these forums... :shock:

Anyhow, if I were to create a Mod like this, it would have to be from scratch and not from the Mod creator. I'd have to know what code Species ALRE is coded in, and a lot of additional stuff...

20 characters!

Post by 20 characters! » Wed Dec 28, 2016 7:30 am

TentacledTunicate wrote:It's been a long time since I was on these forums... :shock:

Anyhow, if I were to create a Mod like this, it would have to be from scratch and not from the Mod creator. I'd have to know what code Species ALRE is coded in, and a lot of additional stuff...
I suggest asking quasar, I believe there's a whole section here on how to mod the game, at least in this particular subforum if I remember correctly.
youtubeuserSara3346
20 characters! wrote:*explodes into a gore shower
combi2 wrote: ... thought that all cows could produce unlimited antibodies,boy am i a retard.
combi2 wrote:you can`t thats not how humans work
Grockstar wrote:Bats it is then. They are the poor man's snake.
ImageImageImage