Where can I get the mod maker?

A forum for mods and the modders who mod them.
Gammamutant

Where can I get the mod maker?

Post by Gammamutant » Fri May 26, 2017 3:52 am

I found instructions on how to mod using the mod maker.......cant find the mod maker. I just want to add textures due to my complete lack of artistic skill

20 characters!

Re: Where can I get the mod maker?

Post by 20 characters! » Fri May 26, 2017 8:01 am

Probably send quasar p.m. there's a good likelihood that he will know.
youtubeuserSara3346
20 characters! wrote:*explodes into a gore shower
combi2 wrote: ... thought that all cows could produce unlimited antibodies,boy am i a retard.
combi2 wrote:you can`t thats not how humans work
Grockstar wrote:Bats it is then. They are the poor man's snake.
ImageImageImage

Gammamutant

Post by Gammamutant » Fri May 26, 2017 11:53 pm

Thanks, I will.

Quasar
Site Admin

Post by Quasar » Sat May 27, 2017 12:22 am

Hi Gammamutant,

Unfortunately, the mod maker hasn't been updated for several versions now, and a lot of internal systems have changed in that time.

The framework I used to build Species, XNA, makes modding exceedingly difficult... but not impossible. The trick lies in compiling the "xnb" files from other formats: you actually need to use an installed instance of XNA to do that. So, to mod the game you need to install XNA, and to install XNA you need to install Visual Studio. Plus, both XNA and Visual Studio have multiple versions, which are incompatible with each other. I'm still using VS2008 and XNA3.1, because the project was started in those versions and it always seemed a better use of my development time to keep expanding the game than to upgrade to newer versions.

If you can get both of those installed, however, things get a lot easier. All you have to do is use them to compile xnb files from your images and put those into the game folder: the game will detect and import them. That's all the mod-maker ever did.

Once I get around to upgrading to a later version of VS, and the Monogame framework (which is an open source variant of XNA), I intend to revisit modding. I firmly believe the game needs to make modding as easy and accessible as possible, but that's proven a lot more difficult to achieve than I initially assumed it would be.

Gammamutant

Post by Gammamutant » Sat May 27, 2017 1:34 am

Well, trying to make the game modable is secondary to the game itself. I am 100% sure there are those out there who will mod it even if you attempt to foil their attempts :) I play a few games so modded. ;) You focus on the great game and work the bugs out. FYI on a side note, I love the nursery idea. as the latest addition the bugs are forgivable ;) Your advice is helpful, I believe. Knowing the proper file extension and the fact that dropping said file into the folder should make it simple if I can locate a usable program to save with that extension.

Gammamutant

Post by Gammamutant » Sat May 27, 2017 1:43 am

Ok, in case anyone is wondering I found this converter. I have converted a file, and inserted it. I'll inform if I spot it in game.

https://forums.terraria.org/index.php?t ... ter.39420/