Round 2: Marine Creatures

Spread the word, and vote for a new body part to see in Species 0.7.0 every fortnight!

What body part do you most want to see in 0.7.0?

Poll ended at Tue Sep 17, 2013 1:06 am

Baleen Whale
31%
Hammerhead
31%
Swordfish
8%
Deepsea Toothy
31%

Total votes: 49

Quasar
Site Admin

Re: Round 2

Post by Quasar » Thu Sep 19, 2013 2:35 am

White parrot wrote:
smjjames wrote:So far it's roughly spread between three of them
We'll have to evolve a Toothy Hammerhead Baleen, that's the only way. :ugeek:

I tried drawing that, but it's hard to combine a hammerhead with a whale. And the toothy whale head was too terrifying for words.

So here's a picture.
whale.png
Called to avenge the spilt blood of his children, the Whale King rises to end the era of man. And you thought Greenpeace just liked whales. They knew, man. THEY KNEW.
whale.png (63.8 KiB) Viewed 4784 times
Enjoy your nightmares.

AnarchCassius

Post by AnarchCassius » Fri Sep 20, 2013 4:19 am

Maybe having a literal whale head will move Quasar to implement plankton faster !
This. I think the whale head is appealing since it brings up the idea of filter feeding.

Obscerno

Post by Obscerno » Fri Sep 20, 2013 4:59 am

Deep sea toothy is falling behind. COME ON GUYS I WANT TEETH.

I mean, it's probably better to support an omnivorous-ish jaw after longjaw won... to keep carnivorous jaws from dominating... but teeth... o:

AnarchCassius

Post by AnarchCassius » Fri Sep 20, 2013 5:40 am

Just thinking for a second...

Hammerheads are known for their distinctive eye protrusions. Protrusions which give them greater range of vision and better use of their electromagnetic receptors. Shouldn't the hammerhead's piece be it's eye/sensory organ and not it's rather typical for a shark jaw.

smjjames

Post by smjjames » Fri Sep 20, 2013 2:31 pm

@Quasar: Whoo, looks nasty.
AnarchCassius wrote:Just thinking for a second...

Hammerheads are known for their distinctive eye protrusions. Protrusions which give them greater range of vision and better use of their electromagnetic receptors. Shouldn't the hammerhead's piece be it's eye/sensory organ and not it's rather typical for a shark jaw.
You do have a point there, but the vote is for the head style rather than just the jaw. Also, we do have a shark jaw, or maybe it's just a generic toothy carnivore jaw with sharklike teeth, though I believe the head looks sort of like a great whites head.
Obscerno wrote:Deep sea toothy is falling behind. COME ON GUYS I WANT TEETH.

I mean, it's probably better to support an omnivorous-ish jaw after longjaw won... to keep carnivorous jaws from dominating... but teeth... o:
We need more herbivore heads, right now we kind of have that goblinoid looking head (that's what I call it anyway), the quad jaw (though I think that one is omnivore?), and um... not too many heads that are kind of non-descript. Really though, what herbivore heads DO we have? I don't think we have any that shouts herbivore.

White parrot

Post by White parrot » Fri Sep 20, 2013 5:39 pm

At this point, we shouldn't be surprised by anything nature does. She's like a meth addict whose drug-fueled rampages unfold in slow motion and span millions of years.
Silly Otter wrote:Welcome to the forum.
Please ignore the cultists.

Quasar
Site Admin

Post by Quasar » Fri Sep 20, 2013 11:54 pm

Uh oh guys, we're falling behind: 1777 as of Saturday morning.

Progress: Image

Anyone know where else we can share the game?

smjjames

Post by smjjames » Sat Sep 21, 2013 2:57 pm

Now the votes are even, lol, still 0 votes for swordfish of course. Maybe people got inspired by your baleen toothy hammerhead thing.

Jimbo Jambo

Post by Jimbo Jambo » Sat Sep 21, 2013 9:50 pm

I've got to go with the baleen. Any ecosystem is going to need a bottom-rung grazer, and plus I prefer a head with an actual clear function over something that just looks kinda cool.

I've got to ask though, why the page hit goal? What happens if we don't reach it? Do we just not get any new heads? Isn't that something you admitted was lacking, something that could draw more players in? Why hinge something that is necessary to build a playerbase on the participation of the playerbase you have now? And, without intending any disrespect to your artist, may I ask why creating one model is so difficult as to be considered such a high prize?

AnarchCassius

Post by AnarchCassius » Sat Sep 21, 2013 10:05 pm

I interpreted this more as, if you guys can get the hits up I'll let you pick head priorities. Surely they'll be new parts as the game progresses but this is chance for the community to have more control. I assume if the goal fails Quasar and/or the artist pick whatever part they wanted to do.

That I have to say... heads do some really minor. Like the game looks moddable enough that I could make my own. Only reason I haven't yet the is stupid .xnb files and trying to figure out what version of what program I need to view this version of them. I hate Microsoft and their stupid XNA development environment. The thing was meant for X-Box and should have stayed there instead of bringing their unique non-backwards compatible binary data format on to poor defenseless PCs.