Creatures Series

Know about another game or simulation that's worth sharing or discussing? The gaming industry is at it's best when it's a great big incestual slurry of crosslinks and recommendations, so tell us about it here!
counting

Creatures Series

Post by counting » Sun Apr 24, 2016 3:14 pm

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Creatures ... me_series)

This is quite an old Artificial Life game series (since 1996), and cover a very wide range of he creature physiology hierarchy, from the gene level all the way up to a full functional neural network that can learn simple language. Players can teach a Norn (the default "species" in the core game) to follow command, and creatures will respond to players in simple sentence, even talk to each other, and interact with each other. Players can mutate their genes, so they will have very different physiology even to the point like new races. It's essentially a small closed spaceship full of interactive creatures.

I always wonder why this kind of complexity never went one step ahead toward full evolution. Back then it's difficult to simulate many of these creatures (usually in the dozens top), and mostly 2D. It will certainly be fun to see how this kind of simulation so high up can accomplish, if someone design the mechanism correctly.

You can still buy them on https://www.gog.com/game/creatures_the_albian_years and mostly work for modern computers.

And the creator later creates Grandroids, I always wonder why his game never make it big, and always by himself.
King Menander asked Master Nagasena: “I have questions.”
Master replied: “What questions?”
King: “I already asked.”
Master: “I already answered.”
King: “What is THE answer?”
Master: “What is THE question?”
King: “No question.”
Master: “No answer.”

20 characters!

Re: Creatures Series

Post by 20 characters! » Sun Apr 24, 2016 8:21 pm

Always intresting, however everyone here has likely heard of them by now.
youtubeuserSara3346
20 characters! wrote:*explodes into a gore shower
combi2 wrote: ... thought that all cows could produce unlimited antibodies,boy am i a retard.
combi2 wrote:you can`t thats not how humans work
Grockstar wrote:Bats it is then. They are the poor man's snake.
ImageImageImage

counting

Re: Creatures Series

Post by counting » Sun Apr 24, 2016 9:54 pm

20 characters! wrote:Always intresting, however everyone here has likely heard of them by now.
At least, have it listed in the recommendation section, so future generations might still remember it. And do you know the specific of how Norns were constructed from gene level all the way up? It is fascinating and probably could borrow a few idea if you want. Like how to make genetic change without causing the full neural network stop functioning? And in the end it creates a type of rule-based evolution language that are so robust, each creature in the game is essentially a self running function that evolved (for mutated codes to work, operator and operant needs to be interchangeable, just not every lines have useful functionality, it's like junk DNA in real creature). It even simulated body chemical environments, organs, brain lopes, etc. (It's neural network is at the level of thousands of neurons and the structure is somewhat fixed)

Not that we need such high complexity in Species, but how to make hierarchical structure so a creature can evolve from ground up should be important, if we want flexible creatures and as few "pre-design" structure as possible.
King Menander asked Master Nagasena: “I have questions.”
Master replied: “What questions?”
King: “I already asked.”
Master: “I already answered.”
King: “What is THE answer?”
Master: “What is THE question?”
King: “No question.”
Master: “No answer.”