True carnivores and how to make them?

A place to talk about the simulation: dicuss how it works and what it does, and share what you've discovered.
pds314

True carnivores and how to make them?

Post by pds314 » Wed May 22, 2019 12:25 am

I often end up with herbivores or herbivores and omnivores, where the omnivores occasionally eat herbivores to supplement a less nutritious diet otherwise.

But for some reason pure carnivory seems quite rare in my evolutions. Is there any way to increase the odds?

Guineapig004

Re: True carnivores and how to make them?

Post by Guineapig004 » Wed May 22, 2019 8:44 am

I tend to turn off population control. Make sure that your computer can handle the pop cap or you'll be unable see anything. Then increase the efficiency of meat, and decrease the efficiency of everything else. It will take a bit of trial and error, but the lack of interference with energy sources should stabilize some new species.
"And fear struck the hearts of the dodos, as they realized they were being watched..."

magmacube_tr
Location: Now on the depths of the once-volcanic Hasan Mountain

Post by magmacube_tr » Wed May 22, 2019 1:32 pm

Its a problem in the game. AI is too stupid to actually go and hunt, and even if they do, most if not all predators target the same prey and when a couple one of them catches and eats it, the rest starves. Pure carnivory isn't a viable strategy in the game right now.
Your everyday cube of molten rock. Also, a baby dragon.

MaximumJames

Post by MaximumJames » Sun Sep 22, 2019 11:16 pm

I made meat nutrients much more nourishing than plant nutrients and set the animals to 3500 in a 1.2 world and I have a major aerobic herbivore species and a major aquatic carnivore species in an 8:1 ratio. Many of the carnivores are in fact omnivores which is how I think they hang on but what happens is all the herbivores eat up the land plants and then go swimming for food and the carnivores eat them all and explode in population.

I made another world but made the meat too energy rich and I am ended up with a lot of rather aggressive omnivores chewing each other up between salads.

I think you can get a good balance going by playing with the settings the way the game is now and also I think due to the games time and space scale a species that hits a dozen creatures and lasts for a short while before dithering out could still be considered a successful species just not of the horseshoe crab standard.
I had some cheata carnivores that just ate everything around them by being too effective (and then being too blind and senseless to find more food) and that was it for them.