Designing a better default aquatic species?

A place to talk about the simulation: dicuss how it works and what it does, and share what you've discovered.
pds314

Designing a better default aquatic species?

Post by pds314 » Tue May 21, 2019 9:04 pm

The normal default aquatic worms are... well... not very good at life. After several attempts even with fairly generous fertility and a wide range of temperatures and depths of water, they still require about 4 feed rovers just to stop them from dying long enough to MAYBE produce something that can survive without help in aquatic conditions.

It would be nice to have something that's still basically a primitive worm, but just very slightly more capable of supporting itself in fertile water.

Guineapig004

Re: Designing a better default aquatic species?

Post by Guineapig004 » Wed May 22, 2019 8:23 pm

One thing I do when my species don't cut it in the beginning, is I turn up the mutation rate in the world settings menu, and I increase the breeding range. This sometimes allows random combinations to produce a viable species.
"And fear struck the hearts of the dodos, as they realized they were being watched..."

Natural_20

Post by Natural_20 » Mon Jun 17, 2019 1:06 am

The next version will allow you to customize the starting creature, which should help. Maybe Quasar will finally fix the excessive buoyancy while he's at it; an urbilaterian should sink like a rock.

As for the ideal temperature for the current aquatic starter, they need a tropical reef; set the surface temperature to about 40C.
Quasar wrote:Dammit, we forgot to sell the psycho drugs and now the chickens are ODing.

MaximumJames

Post by MaximumJames » Sun Sep 22, 2019 11:09 pm

I actually really like watching them all die and seeing if there is that one sweet spot they can survive in until they learn how to live in the new world more effectively.
Now I know what god gets out of this.