One Ring to Rule Them All?

A place to talk about the simulation: dicuss how it works and what it does, and share what you've discovered.
pds314

One Ring to Rule Them All?

Post by pds314 » Tue May 21, 2019 4:53 am

I've noticed that with settings very close to the default, there is a tendency to have whole ecosystems comprising one ring species, possibly even the entire biodiversity of the world. This is interesting but also problematic for actually being able to keep track of the variants because rings are considered a single species. So I end up with "one" "species" whos members may be over 100 points from average or each other.

Is there a way to prevent this without excessive speciation into functionally-identical species?

magmacube_tr
Location: Now on the depths of the once-volcanic Hasan Mountain

Re: One Ring to Rule Them All?

Post by magmacube_tr » Tue May 21, 2019 1:32 pm

Make differences extreme by increasing the fertility and tempature diversity. Also keep the sea levels high for a long time to isolate populations entirely, and because the high diversity on fertility and/or tempature, they will hopefully be subjected to different natural pressures. I am assuming that your worlds you are trying are composed of just a big supercontinent. If it is, than your situation is usually what happens on that kind of maps.
Your everyday cube of molten rock.

pds314

Post by pds314 » Wed May 22, 2019 12:46 am

Well not so much a supercontinent but the oceans aren't big enough to impose hard borders on semi-aquatic species.

Guineapig004

Post by Guineapig004 » Wed May 22, 2019 8:22 pm

There are fences in the game, they should prevent species from travelling through them. I don't often use them myself, so they might be glitchy.
"And fear struck the hearts of the dodos, as they realized they were being watched..."

magmacube_tr
Location: Now on the depths of the once-volcanic Hasan Mountain

Post by magmacube_tr » Sun Jun 02, 2019 6:09 pm

Guineapig004 wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 8:22 pm
There are fences in the game, they should prevent species from travelling through them. I don't often use them myself, so they might be glitchy.
They are not.
Your everyday cube of molten rock.

counting

Post by counting » Mon Jun 03, 2019 3:15 pm

magmacube_tr wrote:
Sun Jun 02, 2019 6:09 pm
Guineapig004 wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 8:22 pm
They are not.
Fences are pretty weird. A creature might target objects on the other side of the fences and creature a boarder of death, where a lot of them just constantly trying to move toward the other side. If fences are not properly circle an entire area, but only a divide, since there are border regions of a map where objects can not be placed, creatures might and often can slip and move around the fences. And from time to time, some new born creatures from one side might be born on the wrong side, if a creature is given birth on the fences, hence genetics flow might still cross fences. It will create some geological separation, but not as an ideal tool.
King Menander asked Master Nagasena: “I have questions.”
Master replied: “What questions?”
King: “I already asked.”
Master: “I already answered.”
King: “What is THE answer?”
Master: “What is THE question?”
King: “No question.”
Master: “No answer.”