I can't achieve Galapgos like evolution.

A place to talk about the simulation: dicuss how it works and what it does, and share what you've discovered.
Dovahkiin309

I can't achieve Galapgos like evolution.

Post by Dovahkiin309 » Sat Jul 14, 2018 8:06 pm

Hello,

No matter what I try, I cannot get Primium Specium to speciate, even while the populations are oceans away. It's really disappointing because it would be nice to see creatures being (eventually) unrelated to each other. It also seems like P. Specium swims to where ever the biggest population is.

Guineapig004

Re: I can't achieve Galapgos like evolution.

Post by Guineapig004 » Sat Jul 14, 2018 8:15 pm

I've done it before, all I did was get a rather large populations, then raise the water level. I used longitude for temperature. Maybe that made a difference?
Last edited by Guineapig004 on Sun Sep 09, 2018 10:19 am, edited 2 times in total.
"And fear struck the hearts of the dodos, as they realized they were being watched..."

magmacube_tr
Location: Now on the depths of the once-volcanic Hasan Mountain

Post by magmacube_tr » Mon Jul 16, 2018 6:32 pm

Try to lower the breeding range . it works too
Your cube of magma with memes 8-)

Natural_20

Post by Natural_20 » Sat Aug 04, 2018 7:28 am

Try setting temperature by height. They'll adapt to the temperature above the water line which makes swimming harder. Make sure you're using ocean and not lake so that the beaches are barren.
Quasar wrote:Dammit, we forgot to sell the psycho drugs and now the chickens are ODing.

pds314

Post by pds314 » Thu Jan 24, 2019 5:45 pm

Hmmmmmm. It seems to speciate under default settings for me. The only time I've ended up with giant ring species is when I messed with breeding range and mutation rate. But even then there is still a lot of evolution going on. It's just in ring species where the genetic distance between members is up to 20 or 30 times the breeding range.

The bigger issue that I have with Islands like that is that, especially if reproduction is parthenogenic or asexual, once they begin to diverge, and a strong swimmer emerges, one Island begins settling the other and outcompeting or eating the inhabitants. This is why it's best to choose settings that encourage several niches per Island and make each island have slightly different conditions.

BabyShork

Post by BabyShork » Sun May 05, 2019 6:47 pm

Have you tried putting up fences separating the islands?