Ethics, Morality and the Value of Human Life

Disagree with the premise of the game? Tell us why we're wrong, and bring the evidence to prove it!
Riulus

Re: Ethics, Morality and the Value of Human Life

Post by Riulus » Sat Jan 17, 2015 4:57 am

Ekoou1986 wrote: I'm at a loss at how you could make such a flattering comment and know nothing about deciphering it. Like complimenting me on my french when you cant speak it. Like telling me I'm smart when you're uneducated. Well, the beauty of talking out of your ass is that it always smells the same, and I smell that all over you.
Yea yea yea, you can get off your high horse now. I'm quite honestly disappointed that you haven't understood my silence by now.
Astronomy and simulating Planet collisions is so much fun...

20 characters!

Post by 20 characters! » Sat Jan 17, 2015 5:04 am

So yet again I'm going to use this is justification for asking something completely off-topic. But do any of you know how frogs came to be so weird, I mean they don't exist within any normal bounds of what I would think it was a typical tetrapod. They have an odd larval stage their tongue attached to the front of their mouths rabbit in the back. They exhibit all six of weird sexual characteristics, don't have any teeth in their lower jaws, have no tail as adults and reduced back vertebra!
youtubeuserSara3346
20 characters! wrote:*explodes into a gore shower
combi2 wrote: ... thought that all cows could produce unlimited antibodies,boy am i a retard.
combi2 wrote:you can`t thats not how humans work
Grockstar wrote:Bats it is then. They are the poor man's snake.
ImageImageImage

Ekoou1986

Post by Ekoou1986 » Sat Jan 17, 2015 5:16 am

Maybe I should start over and try to hook a more level headed christian who can actually argue. If there aren't any takers here, I understand, as this is a game about evolution, but this is a forum for debate. Speak for someone and I'll wait for them to show up to refute any of my points, on morality! We can open up ethics or the value of human life or eating bread and drinking wine or turning water into wine.
Please:
Don't come in here with weak arguments, like, and I will STRESS this again; Going to church every sunday is a morale act, or paying tithes, or taking communion, or being baptised.
If I am unclear on any of them, let me know. I cant believe I've come full circle and repeated myself.

Thank you.

I will say this; I'm not coming here to start a flame war. This is debate. If you're trying to make peace you have sadly come to the wrong place. There wont be any atheists joining in on your prayers. We wont make circles and hold hands. We wont close our eyes. We wont let you dodge your traditions. We won't let you dodge your claims.
If being a christian consists of believing christ died for your sins, where does morality EVER come into it? If being a muslim consists of accepting that there is one god and muhammad is his prophet, where do claims of morality fit in? What makes your BELIEFS more moral?

I never said I was here to hold hands and play. I never gave the ellusion that I was here to troll. If thats what you see then I'm sorry, but in a world of relative morality and relative beliefs, I need to strike at popular ones that blanket a lot of people, including people I love, on a regular basis, and to their faces when given the opportunity, mind you.
I wont be at your fathers casket calling your beliefs dumb, and I might even say something to make YOU feel better, but you can bet your ass the day before he died I'd have been arguing with you about it if you were willing to and we considered eachother friends. I'm here, because everyone I've talked to either doesn't want to be wrong, about the afterlife, or "feels" it in their "soul". I want debate. I went to school and debated, don't tell me what to do if you were thinking of it. Same story. I'm here and the time is now and forever after. With luck I might be here to answer calls against me for another 50 years. If this doesnt explain me then I'm sorry, but you'll have to bear with me, incomprehending, while I wait for a taker.

If this isn't a thread to debate, then I'm hijacking it from here on out. Now it is, because it's titled so in the debate section. I've read the preface/OP before my firt post...It's already known that it wasnt originally a debate. Sorry Riulus, but if you aren't ready to debate me, I don't see why you were here replying to me. In my first or second post I said I was bringing it back to the debate. I've been clear every step of the way.

And Riulus, I really didn't mean anything personal about you driving in below 50 weather.

Ewery1

Post by Ewery1 » Sat Jan 17, 2015 5:38 am

Uh, just pointing something out here, it has been scientifically proven that debates only solidify one's previous beliefs, and so, if you are trying to accomplish anything I recommend you don't do it like that.

Just a note, this was typed on my phone so please don't correct my grammar.
- Your local Red Panda with way too much power
Yasahiro wrote:Then improve the amphibity.... It's a word now, I made it.
Join my new classic competition game!

They're all grown up!
Image Image Image

Riulus

Post by Riulus » Sat Jan 17, 2015 7:48 am

Ekoou1986 wrote: And Riulus, I really didn't mean anything personal about you driving in below 50 weather.
I believe you said that you had nothing to say about that subject. I can't well take offense to that now can I? (Well I could, but that's not in my nature.)

However, I DO take offense to the idea that you feel that we Christians feel we are superior morally. That is a HUGE generalization, one that is frankly irritating and gives me a sense that you won't take me seriously, so I can't take you seriously either. There's a reason why there are parts of the church service dedicated to admitting one's sins, at least in the Missouri Senate Lutheran Churches, and I feel that that point has soared high over your head. Then again, you might never have known that, how am I supposed to know that beforehand? At any rate, there's a HUGE FUCKING DIFFERENCE between the Christians of yesterday and the Christians of today. Back then, and seeings how we're talking about it we might as well as define that time period as the Middle Ages to the mid Colonial Era (Colonial as in the expansion of territories throughout the New World, not just North America which is roughly from the 5th century to the 17th century AD (or CE if you want to be stuck up about it)), the average Christian couldn't even read, so they HAD to follow the churches lead. I'll give you one hint as to why it all went downhill from there: Politics. Dare I say it, accusing all Christians in our time of claiming moral superiority is about the same damn thing as accusing all Germans in our time of claiming to be part of the Aryan race and that all others needed to die during WWII. If you can't get that, then I'm sorry but there's no reason for us to be speaking as our beliefs are too far apart from one another to convince either one of us of anything. It's not true for all of us, and in fact it's not even the rule of thumb for Christians. I won't tell you to go to church, or pray to God for mercy, or anything. That's on you and you alone.

As for why my "arguments," if you could call them that, were so weak, is because of how I feel about the debate system: It leads nowhere fast. We could be doing infinitely more important things right now. I for one could be asleep right now, which would be infinitely better for my health than fighting a battle I know I won't win because for one I have no drive to win, for another I have no interest in debating on the state of whether my religion is right or not because at the end of the day you can't truly know until you die, and lastly because I am NOT IN CHRISTIAN TERRITORY. Why I am continuing this is beyond me, and in that right you've got a good point: there is no point in me continuing to respond to you. At the very least, understand that I feel calm discussion seems even slightly more productive to me than this so called "debate" we just had ever was (actually I feel it would be infinitely better, but that's not the point). The only thing I got out of this was headache, and neither side has budged a bit. Then again, I've never been good at expressing ideas and debating them. I'd rather see my ideas in a testing chamber, where cold hard data will provide answers better than any number of hours debating will ever get us.

blah blah blah, etcetera etcetera, ramble ramble ramble. tryingtogetthelastwordinIguess All of that won't help convince you of the fact that I JUST DON'T CARE ABOUT DEBATING THIS. Why we're talking about this is beyond me. I'm not even the kind of Christian that's GOOD at debating, or even especially passionate about it. However, I am probably the ONLY Christian here, at least the only one active and willing to put up with your bullshit this long. And ballsy enough to declare that I am in fact a Christian for that matter.

Here's to hoping this doesn't sound as insane as I think it does, because I am awfully tired and I clearly sacrificed way to much energy in fighting a battle I care very little for. In fact I think I should've just left you with nothing at all... But if I did that, then I couldn't really say that I admitted my faith before men as the saying goes. Hell, I was really tempted to just delete this post and wave off what you said as nothing. But I'm clearly not in a healthy mental state, ever, so I did it anyway.
Astronomy and simulating Planet collisions is so much fun...

Ispil

Post by Ispil » Sat Jan 17, 2015 8:46 pm

I think we've reached the meta-argument now- arguing over how we don't want to argue over a topic that pretty much everyone has forgotten by now.

So... what now?

EDIT: As for my earlier argument over math, what happened there was that I was arguing that math was discovered, not created; I then gave examples that showed that math was created, not discovered. Instead of backpedaling, I rolled with it- hence the confusion.

Here's a better argument- Math is both created and discovered; they aren't necessarily exclusive. Picturing a triangle in your head, putting it in a rectangle, and cutting it in half to show that the triangle is half of the rectangle- that's something you created. Knowing that this will apply to every single triangle in everyone's heads- that's discovered.

Quasar
Site Admin

Post by Quasar » Sat Jan 17, 2015 11:54 pm

Ispil wrote:I think we've reached the meta-argument now- arguing over how we don't want to argue over a topic that pretty much everyone has forgotten by now.

So... what now?
Sounds like a pretty good place to lock the thread to me: it's been getting a bit overboard and uncivil for a while now.

Also guys, just a friendly reminder to always keep in mind the One Commandment:

http://www.smbc-comics.com/index.php?db ... 1590#comic

Ewery1

Post by Ewery1 » Fri Feb 06, 2015 2:19 am

While on my power trip, I decided to unlock this post, just to make this.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :lol: :twisted:

It shall now be locked again.
- Your local Red Panda with way too much power
Yasahiro wrote:Then improve the amphibity.... It's a word now, I made it.
Join my new classic competition game!

They're all grown up!
Image Image Image