Ethics, Morality and the Value of Human Life

Disagree with the premise of the game? Tell us why we're wrong, and bring the evidence to prove it!
Alienbird

Ethics, Morality and the Value of Human Life

Post by Alienbird » Thu Nov 13, 2014 8:20 pm

This topic was originally meant to be a discussion of Bill Nye's recent book. However, it has gone wayyy off topic and is now deep into the much more interesting (to me) subjects of ethics, morality, the value of human life, the contributions of religion to social advancement or societal backwardness, ect. I changed the title so that new people can find this very interesting discussion.
Last edited by Alienbird on Mon Dec 08, 2014 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

White parrot

Re: The Book "Undeniable: Evolution and the Science of Creat

Post by White parrot » Fri Nov 14, 2014 12:02 am

Alienbird wrote:I recently read "Undeniable: Evolution and the Science of Creation" by Bill Nye. It [...]
Oh oh.
Quasar wrote:(Note: I have been assured that “the science guy” is a mandatory part of his name and that if you don’t use it he magically scientifically appears and beats you over the head with a Bunsen burner).
(seen here)

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE
Quasar wrote:Oh wait I forgot to AAAARGH PLEASE NO NO NO NOT THE BUNSEN BUR-
RUN WHILE YU STILL CAN

Cannot participate in the discussion, I didn't read that book. :|
At this point, we shouldn't be surprised by anything nature does. She's like a meth addict whose drug-fueled rampages unfold in slow motion and span millions of years.
Silly Otter wrote:Welcome to the forum.
Please ignore the cultists.

Riulus

Post by Riulus » Fri Nov 14, 2014 12:59 am

Neither can I. At any rate, all I can say is that trying to disprove it to those of us who actually believe in creationism is as easy as making a brick turn into gas. That is to say, not at all.
Although... if we are running the figures that Qu came up with during his blog, I think we can safely say that turning a human being into pure energy is all we really need to vaporize clay, and then some.

On a side note, I finally figured out how to link stuff to words instead of pasting the actual url and hoping to god you people clicked the link.
I'M FUCKING LEARNING!!!!1!
Astronomy and simulating Planet collisions is so much fun...

Alienbird

Post by Alienbird » Wed Nov 19, 2014 9:29 am

I would love it if Bill Nye scientifically appeared with his Bunsen burner in hand. I would totally like to meet the guy. We could stare at awesome wiggly creatures through my microscope together and discuss ornithology, entomology, microscopy, ecology, ocean acidification and the local starfish wipeout, ect.
Riulus wrote:Neither can I. At any rate, all I can say is that trying to disprove it to those of us who actually believe in creationism is as easy as making a brick turn into gas.
I know. My best friend since High School is a Young Earth Creationist. We steer clear of the subject entirely when hanging out together.

Riulus

Post by Riulus » Wed Nov 19, 2014 4:45 pm

Alienbird wrote: I know. My best friend since High School is a Young Earth Creationist. We steer clear of the subject entirely when hanging out together.
Personally, I'm sort of a Young Earth Creationist. My opinion on the matter is very different from others, however, as I doubt the way we are now is the way we were originally created. In other words, I feel that the world was indeed created personally in seven days, but we evolved to fit better to the environment once sin took hold. After all, in the Bible it does say that the world grew alot more hostile once Adam and Eve's sin was exposed. I may be wrong about that though, its been a while since I read the Bible, let alone Genesis.

20 characters!

Post by 20 characters! » Thu Nov 20, 2014 1:40 am

Riulus wrote:
Alienbird wrote: I know. My best friend since High School is a Young Earth Creationist. We steer clear of the subject entirely when hanging out together.
Personally, I'm sort of a Young Earth Creationist. My opinion on the matter is very different from others, however, as I doubt the way we are now is the way we were originally created. In other words, I feel that the world was indeed created personally in seven days, but we evolved to fit better to the environment once sin took hold. After all, in the Bible it does say that the world grew alot more hostile once Adam and Eve's sin was exposed. I may be wrong about that though, its been a while since I read the Bible, let alone Genesis.
You will hate me for saying what I beleive, I believe sin and punishment are artificial constructs created in a poor attempt to create docility among the populace.

And generally do more harm than good.

Also very few people actually read the whole bible all the way through, I have heard that the ones who do come out disgusted and pessimistic.
youtubeuserSara3346
20 characters! wrote:*explodes into a gore shower
combi2 wrote: ... thought that all cows could produce unlimited antibodies,boy am i a retard.
combi2 wrote:you can`t thats not how humans work
Grockstar wrote:Bats it is then. They are the poor man's snake.
ImageImageImage

Tiberius

Post by Tiberius » Thu Nov 20, 2014 1:47 am

20 characters! wrote:
Riulus wrote:
You will hate me for saying what I beleive, I believe sin and punishment are artificial constructs created in a poor attempt to create docility among the populace.

Also very few people actually read the whole bible all the way through, I have heard that the ones who do come out disgusted and pessimistic.

Technically yes christianity was used keep the serfs happy and when it became more lax europeans became influential and more prone to rebellion/revolution but do you mean that laws only exist do keep people docile?

20 characters!

Post by 20 characters! » Thu Nov 20, 2014 3:50 am

Personally, I'm sort of a Young Earth Creationist. My opinion on the matter is very different from others, however, as I doubt the way we are now is the way we were originally created. In other words, I feel that the world was indeed created personally in seven days, but we evolved to fit better to the environment once sin took hold. After all, in the Bible it does say that the world grew alot more hostile once Adam and Eve's sin was exposed. I may be wrong about that though, its been a while since I read the Bible, let alone Genesis.[/quote]

Also very few people actually read the whole bible all the way through, I have heard that the ones who do come out disgusted and pessimistic.[/quote]

Technically yes christianity was used keep the serfs happy and when it became more lax europeans became influential and more prone to rebellion/revolution but do you mean that laws only exist do keep people docile?[/quote]

No sometimes laws exist for worse reasons, to make politicans feel like they are doing something to oppress minorites to give companies more rights ect.
Granted some exist to improve uppon the libertys of the people but those are to few and far between.
youtubeuserSara3346
20 characters! wrote:*explodes into a gore shower
combi2 wrote: ... thought that all cows could produce unlimited antibodies,boy am i a retard.
combi2 wrote:you can`t thats not how humans work
Grockstar wrote:Bats it is then. They are the poor man's snake.
ImageImageImage

Tiberius

Post by Tiberius » Thu Nov 20, 2014 4:09 am

20 characters! wrote: No sometimes laws exist for worse reasons, to make politicans feel like they are doing something to oppress minorites to give companies more rights ect.
Granted some exist to improve uppon the libertys of the people but those are to few and far between.
That sounds kind of like what some of my family feels about religion in that there is some deity but organized religion does nothing but oppression. I personally feel that most laws allow society to function in a civilized manner but I do agree that some percentage of laws are wrong/corrupt and only really give power to the strong. For example Canada's Senators are appointed by the Prime minister not elected.

Riulus

Post by Riulus » Thu Nov 20, 2014 4:51 pm

20 characters! wrote:
You will hate me for saying what I believe, I believe sin and punishment are artificial constructs created in a poor attempt to create docility among the populace.

yea, you were right about one thing: I didn't like that at all. I'm not going to argue the point, but it certainly feels like you're saying that ethics are nonexistent. It's pretty much an Ethical Egoist standpoint: if we try to do good we're just hurting people, so the only thing we can do is look out for ourselves. Granted, there were probably people who just wanted to maintain power when they made those laws that established serfdom. Problem is, is that if we don't ever try to do something with the good of more than oneself in mind, then we'd have destroyed the majority of our next generation by now.

Like I said, I don't want to argue the point, mainly because I spent two fucking months doing research on the ethics of abortion and I don't even want to think logically right now