Evolution is not a fact, but it is as close as it gets.

Disagree with the premise of the game? Tell us why we're wrong, and bring the evidence to prove it!
Trisdino

Evolution is not a fact, but it is as close as it gets.

Post by Trisdino » Sun Feb 16, 2014 6:14 pm

Let me explain. When people say "evolution is not a fact", they are right, technically, but not for the reasons they think. The reason that they are correct is this, science cannot prove anything. Why can science not prove anything?, well, my math and science teacher once gave me the perfect example: We know that gravity is real. If you drop a pencil, it will fall to the ground. But you cannot technically prove this. Even if you drop it a thousand times, and it always falls down, you cannot be sure that it would not fall up if you had done it one more time.

This is why they are called "theories" and not "facts", because nothing is technically a fact. Even something as simple as the computer you are typing at, could technically be an incredibly realistic dream engineered by aliens, and you could not prove otherwise. This does not mean that evolution, and any other scientific theory should be ignored, because just as the odds of religion being true are less then 0,(insert as many zeros as you want, and then add a 1 at the end), the odds of evolution being true are still 99,999999999999999. This may seem like a technicality, but it proves that must creationists do not know what they are talking about, because in science, technicalities are incredibly important.

AnarchCassius

Re: Evolution is not a fact, but it is as close as it gets.

Post by AnarchCassius » Sun Feb 16, 2014 8:23 pm

Trisdino wrote:This is why they are called "theories" and not "facts", because nothing is technically a fact. Even something as simple as the computer you are typing at, could technically be an incredibly realistic dream engineered by aliens, and you could not prove otherwise.
Cogito ergo sum. I exist in some form because I can perceieve, but that's about the only thing anyone can ever prove.

VoltzLive

Post by VoltzLive » Thu Mar 27, 2014 10:48 am

That is where you're mistaken. There are two parts to Evolution in this context.
1. The fact of evolution
The fact is that allele frequencies change over time. This has been well documented and can be seen from generation to generation.
2. The Theory of evolution
The Theory of evolution encompass the paths that life has taken to get to where it is now. This also has been well documented even though we cannot get every single piece of the puzzle due to the half life of DNA.

Riulus

Post by Riulus » Thu Mar 27, 2014 4:34 pm

VoltzLive wrote:That is where you're mistaken. There are two parts to Evolution in this context.
1. The fact of evolution
The fact is that allele frequencies change over time. This has been well documented and can be seen from generation to generation.
2. The Theory of evolution
The Theory of evolution encompass the paths that life has taken to get to where it is now. This also has been well documented even though we cannot get every single piece of the puzzle due to the half life of DNA.
It also happens progressively, as stated by the theorists that came up with evolution. In fact, it happens so progressively... that without written records, we likely wouldn't notice the changes in other species unless we SPAMMED their breeding cycle in an attempt to morph them into an atrocity of nature. That's what we have Species: ALRE for nowadays :lol:
Astronomy and simulating Planet collisions is so much fun...

Riulus

Post by Riulus » Thu Mar 27, 2014 4:42 pm

Trisdino wrote: Even something as simple as the computer you are typing at, could technically be an incredibly realistic dream engineered by aliens, and you could not prove otherwise..
And for all I know, I am the only sentient being on the planet. Woe to the monkeys that oppose me... :lol:
I could also be an incredibly advanced Artificial Intelligence designed to simulate a life on a computer screen that may not even be possible in another reality. Said audience (if applicable) may be viewing my life through my eyes, maybe they are watching in a third person perspective... or maybe my life is their version of video games. Who knows? Human imagination is nearly limitless, and that in my mind is the only really tangible thing about existence. It's the only thing we really and truly know we have (or in my case, I know that I have). Sure, some people claim that they don't have an imagination, when really what they are saying is that they aren't artistic. We can adapt, without physically or genetically changing, which is probably the best evidence of imagination and creativity that I can conjure.

Dampfnudel

Post by Dampfnudel » Tue Apr 29, 2014 9:29 am

Actually Gravity follows its rule caused by interaction of articles with spin 2. But iam no physican. Gravity is no magic and science will understand it in future. Iam sure of it.

Skylimit

Post by Skylimit » Wed Apr 30, 2014 5:09 pm

Dampfnudel wrote:Actually Gravity follows its rule caused by interaction of articles with spin 2. But iam no physican. Gravity is no magic and science will understand it in future. Iam sure of it.
Meanwhile we just have to accept that it is real :twisted:

Alex47

Post by Alex47 » Sat May 03, 2014 7:00 am

If evolution is not a fact, it is as real as gravity! He has essentially said evolution is as real as anything else in the world!

Riulus

Post by Riulus » Mon May 12, 2014 3:16 pm

Dampfnudel wrote:Actually Gravity follows its rule caused by interaction of articles with spin 2. But I am no physicist. Gravity is no magic and science will understand it in future. I am sure of it.
I have taken the liberty of correcting your poor quality post of its misspellings and homonym/spelling errors. Grammar Nazi out :geek:

Dampfnudel

Post by Dampfnudel » Mon May 12, 2014 6:54 pm

I have taken the liberty of correcting your poor quality post of its misspellings and homonym/spelling errors. Grammar Nazi out :geek:
Indeed Iam not good in foreign languages like english.