Today I learned...

FOR SCIENCE!
Ewery1

Re: Today I learned...

Post by Ewery1 » Mon Jan 26, 2015 3:41 am

20 characters! wrote:
Ewery1 wrote:Skin is kept waterproof with a keratin matrix.
And oil, can't forget about that.
Well I know that, but I didn't know the other half of it.
- Your local Red Panda with way too much power
Yasahiro wrote:Then improve the amphibity.... It's a word now, I made it.
Join my new classic competition game!

They're all grown up!
Image Image Image

Zhaf

Post by Zhaf » Sun Feb 08, 2015 8:36 pm

I could keep up with the penis theme and say that ducks have corkscrew like explosive penises, but i wont.

The fish known to science that lives in the deepest habitat can survive 8145 meters under the sea surface. It's a type of snailfish, it still does not have a name and was discovered during a Rover expedition in the Mariana Trench.
According to scientists, the limit for fish like life is reached at -8200 meters, after that depth a protein that allows fishes to live under extreme pressures cannot ensure anymore the integrity of their cells.

That's a video filmed with the Rover's camera.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cBxsm5T2yN8#t=57

Ewery1

Post by Ewery1 » Sun Feb 08, 2015 8:43 pm

Ducks have corkscrew like explosive penises.

They're all grown up!
Image Image Image

Prudentia

Post by Prudentia » Mon Feb 09, 2015 4:27 am

The human only contains about 8.8 ounces of ATP, adenosine triphosphate.
Black Rockfish, Sebastes melanops, ~12 inches, of the coast of Newport, Oregon.

Ewery1

Post by Ewery1 » Mon Feb 09, 2015 4:28 am

Really? Wow.

They're all grown up!
Image Image Image

Prudentia

Post by Prudentia » Mon Feb 09, 2015 4:46 am

Helps that it can be stored as ADP and AMP, the human body also turns over several times its own weight in ATP every day. For any metric people, 8.8 ounces is roughly equal to 250 grams.
Also Phenolphthalein is pH indicator chemical (knew before), but is also a laxative. Using it to test HCl and then combining HCl with NaOH, and drinking said combo is not a good idea. Also, a vitamin D overdose cause calcifacation of soft tissues. So ODing on vitamin D over long periods of time makes you a giant bone.
Duck penises also scrape out competing sperm. Marsupials and female echidnas have a branch reproductive tract, meaning two vaginas. Most Males have two penis heads. Male Echidnas have a four headed penis. To continue with previous theme.

Riulus

Post by Riulus » Mon Feb 09, 2015 10:24 pm

Well, I guess this post has turned into a giant sausage fest. Wonderful.
Astronomy and simulating Planet collisions is so much fun...

Quasar
Site Admin

Post by Quasar » Tue Feb 10, 2015 12:58 am

Prudentia wrote:Helps that it can be stored as ADP and AMP, the human body also turns over several times its own weight in ATP every day. For any metric people, 8.8 ounces is roughly equal to 250 grams.
Also Phenolphthalein is pH indicator chemical (knew before), but is also a laxative. Using it to test HCl and then combining HCl with NaOH, and drinking said combo is not a good idea. Also, a vitamin D overdose cause calcifacation of soft tissues. So ODing on vitamin D over long periods of time makes you a giant bone.
Duck penises also scrape out competing sperm. Marsupials and female echidnas have a branch reproductive tract, meaning two vaginas. Most Males have two penis heads. Male Echidnas have a four headed penis. To continue with previous theme.
I'm going to need to run the math on that. It would help with my dietary system (specifically: how long can a creature with "full" ATP last until death without making any more?)

Prudentia

Post by Prudentia » Tue Feb 10, 2015 1:45 am

Quasar wrote:I'm going to need to run the math on that.
Wait you meant on ATP right? Not
Prudentia wrote:Duck penises also scrape out competing sperm. Marsupials and female echidnas have a branch reproductive tract, meaning two vaginas. Most Males have two penis heads. Male Echidnas have a four headed penis.
, but the ATP right? I am pretty sure that while penises might be an interesting addition to Species, it would code for physically impossible ones and I don't think many people would want to see one larger than the organism itself.

On off chance (hopefully instead of reproductive organs), that you were meaning ATP. That 250 grams lasts about 20 seconds. Then you run on fermentation until the lactic acid kills you or you get more glucose. Also breathing is more about eliminating excess CO2 then about getting more oxygen as we only need oxygen to take out carbons left over from glucose after glycolysis. CO2 builds up in the blood and changes the pH. When you pass out after hyperventalating it is because your blood became to basic, and while the human brain can survive about 30 minutes or so (I think) without oxygen, if it can't get rid CO2 you can die within minutes. Breathing in pure CO2 causes instant damage and will kill you in more or less a minute. CO cand bind at the oxygen sotes in hemoglobin which is why smokers have more red blood cells. Mammalian red blood cells have no nucleus, thus can we compete with because we can carry a lot more oxygen, but they only last about 120 days.

Quasar
Site Admin

Post by Quasar » Tue Feb 10, 2015 9:52 pm

Oh! Yes, the ATP. The final dietary system will involve a full metabolic system all the way down to ATP, so the more data I have on how all that works the better. A 20 second ATP buffer sounds perfect for the game (although I realise different creatures have different ATP content, from a game perspective 20 seconds ties in really well with a 1-second digestion-step).

Although running the math on penises might be also interesting: "Assuming a spherical male duck in a vacuum..."