The Cretaceous Thermal Maximum

FOR SCIENCE!
JDaileyGreatLakes

The Cretaceous Thermal Maximum

Post by JDaileyGreatLakes » Tue Sep 06, 2016 2:37 pm

In the Jurassic period, 200-145 million years ago, the average median surface temperature was 61.7 degrees Fahrenheit. When it gave way to the Cretaceous, the temperature rose to 64.4 degrees Fahrenheit.

Pretty warm, no doubt, but to find the hottest chapter in Earth's geologic history, we must fast-forward eleven million years after the Mesozoic-Cenozoic Extinction event, to a period called the Paleocene-Eocene Thermal Maximum, where the average median surface temperature spiked up to 73 degrees Fahrenheit, so warm that global seasonality would have been reduced.

But as recently as 49 million years ago, the hot days gradually but surely began to cool down, shrinking the global rainforests until they were eventually confined within the latitudinal boundaries of Cancer and Capricorn.

It wouldn't become completely apparent until 33.5 million years ago, when the cooling resulted in the extinction of 20% of all plant and animal life, an event scientists called Grande Coupure, the Great Break.

In this alternate scenario, the Jurassic period ended with the Cretaceous Thermal Maximum, where the average median surface temperature spiked from 61.7 degrees Fahrenheit to 73 degrees Fahrenheit. This number would be the average median surface temperature for the next 100 million years (excluding the Mesozoic-Cenozoic Extinction Event).

But for now, let's focus on the point of transition when the spike in temperature started, 145 million years ago. Would this sudden rise in temperature result in a Mesozoic equivalent to the Grande Coupure, or a genuine mass extinction? And would this put the evolution of the modern orders of birds and mammals at an earlier starting date?

20 characters!

Re: The Cretaceous Thermal Maximum

Post by 20 characters! » Tue Sep 06, 2016 5:20 pm

I'm going to sound mean here, but, If you actually did some of your own speculation lots of others would or should be willing to help you over on the spec EVO forums.
youtubeuserSara3346
20 characters! wrote:*explodes into a gore shower
combi2 wrote: ... thought that all cows could produce unlimited antibodies,boy am i a retard.
combi2 wrote:you can`t thats not how humans work
Grockstar wrote:Bats it is then. They are the poor man's snake.
ImageImageImage

JDaileyGreatLakes

Post by JDaileyGreatLakes » Tue Sep 06, 2016 7:07 pm

If you're referring to the Speculative Evolution Zetaboard, then I've gotten away from all that. The people here had too much hubris.

Grockstar

Post by Grockstar » Tue Sep 06, 2016 9:33 pm

JDaileyGreatLakes wrote:If you're referring to the Speculative Evolution Zetaboard, then I've gotten away from all that. The people here had too much hubris.
That wasn't why they did that. The difference between what you want and what they want is simple.

You: "*set up stuff yadada* What would happen if this happened? Comment your thoughts."

Forumite: "*set up stuff yadada* What would happen if this happened? Here's one answer. *insert rest of spec*"

It seems like a little thing, but it really isn't. That place excepts you to have a story, a answer to your question, and make it plausible evolution-wise. You just want a clear answer.

Source: Am rarely active member.
Just Monika.

Now uses she/her pronouns. Please, call me Lily!

Official Moderator on the Species Discord, Queen of the Weebs!

Prudentia

Post by Prudentia » Tue Sep 06, 2016 9:38 pm

JDaileyGreatLakes wrote:If you're referring to the Speculative Evolution Zetaboard, then I've gotten away from all that. The people here had too much hubris.
If you would post your opinion, it would easier for people here to help you, and people at SEZ would not have had issues with you. How about this;

What do you think would have happened? If you share your opinion, then the rest of us can build on that, most likely, you will think of things that we might other wise miss, and with all of us, we each might be able to think and build on things that each of us alone might not have figured on.

tl;dr?- If you give us your opinion, then that makes everyone more willing to help you, and makes it is easier for them to help you.

So I ask again, What do you think would have happened?
Black Rockfish, Sebastes melanops, ~12 inches, of the coast of Newport, Oregon.

JDaileyGreatLakes

Post by JDaileyGreatLakes » Wed Sep 07, 2016 3:01 am

What do I think would happen? Would what I think be on the right track or the Dougal Dixon track? You've given me a boat, but no oar and no map. That way, I don't know if I'm right or wrong.

Prudentia

Post by Prudentia » Wed Sep 07, 2016 6:44 am

JDaileyGreatLakes wrote:What do I think would happen? Would what I think be on the right track or the Dougal Dixon track? You've given me a boat, but no oar and no map. That way, I don't know if I'm right or wrong.
All of us are wrong as there is no way that every single variable can be predicted accurately, especially since we only know a fraction of them. There is no map. You make it extremely hard to help you if you do not share your opinion! If you were to try to doing anything like this in academia, it would be tantamount to intellectual theft.

The only way to reach a semi-realistic idea of this (or any) scenario is a discussion, with all parties contributing, even if it is simple "I agree with X".

JDaileyGreatLakes

Post by JDaileyGreatLakes » Wed Sep 07, 2016 2:04 pm

It was supposed to be a discussion question, but no one's willing to discuss it because they care about projects, not what-if questions. That's a very cart-before-horse line of thinking.

Prudentia

Post by Prudentia » Wed Sep 07, 2016 3:13 pm

JDaileyGreatLakes wrote:That's a very cart-before-horse line of thinking.
So is that. Who says that your cart has to be hooked up to a horse? You are dealing with a multidimensional space, not just linear. Which is why this needs a discussion which has the thoughts and opinions of all people involved. This discussion is missing that. I'm not even sure why I am trying to help you out at point! You have no opinion on anything, provide no links to any materials that might help us understand what you want to vary better, nor does your project have any citations. Any serious project, such as this one, should have sources; so that any accusations of plagiarism are immediately unfounded.

If you decide to contribute to the conversation, I will gladly be able to help you to the best of my ability, as would most of us more active crew.

JDaileyGreatLakes

Post by JDaileyGreatLakes » Wed Sep 07, 2016 7:21 pm

Questions are the beginning of wisdom. Projects are merely the result. Questions, especially what-if questions, are the very foundation of speculation. Speculation thrives through questions, not bias.